• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

2 year old a reincarnated Hindu?

maulacat

I'd just like some advice/opinions really. My son is now 2 years and 3 months old. Although I've always been interested in the supernatural and reincarnation, etc, I'm the sort of person who doesn't believe something unless I see evidence of it with my own eyes, yet I've always had a strange feeling that my son has been here before. People have always agreed with me that it's like he has an "old soul", because he's always been quite mature, even as a little baby.

Just recently things seem to be happening that support my hunch. For example, my son still doesn't talk properly yet, but about a month ago we were at home and he said "home" for the first time. However, when he said it he went to the front door and kept pointing to go out saying that he wanted to go "home". I tried to explain to him that he was home, but he wouldn't accept this. He has done the same thing several times since and, rather than throwing a tantrum when I try to explain that he cant go out because he is home (as he would normally do with something when he cant get his own way), he just seems genuinely sad that he cant go.

Another piece of what I would now call evidence, is that he has been saying "odd" words for months, which my partner and I have always put down to just being "baby babble" so to speak, but then a few days ago he started calling his Dad "baap". Because he kept repeatedly using it as a substitute for what he usually calls his Dad, we decided it would be interesting to look it up and see if it actually means anything. I was shocked and excited when I looked on the internet and found that this is a Hindi word - meaning father! We were both astounded and tried to find some of the other words he has been saying repeatedly. One of them is "beesa". This is ALSO a Hindi word, which refers to a group of people in a certain level of the Indian caste system. He has also said "dhobi" (sounded like "dowbee" to us) from a young age, which I have now looked up and this is an indian washerman/washerwoman. This is particularly intriguing, because my son has always been obsessed with cleaning from a very young age (and still is), to the point where it made people laugh because it was so wierd seeing this little baby thoroughly polishing and wiping things! If you give him a baby wipe, he will spend ages thoroughly wiping down a whole chair for example, and take it really seriously!

My partner, who used to laugh at me when I said I thought our son was reincarnated, is now stunned and convinced by this new evidence. I'm kind of convinced, but there's always that niggly part of me that thinks I might be being silly. I would be grateful for any advice/opinions, etc. Thanks.

Greetings Maulacat!

Welcome to the Forum! Wow that is an interesting story for sure! I believe you have come to the right place to learn about it. Familiarize yourself with the forum by reading the FAQ section. Then take a look at the Children's section. You'll see you are amongst common friends with similar stories. You're not alone! I would also highly suggest you Carol Bowman's book about Children's Past Lives, there's a lot for you to learn from there! AND most important, come on here and simply ask. You'll find it a receptive place!!

Welcome again!

Tinkerman

Welcome Maulacat,

You might want to read through the webpage The Four Signs of Children's past life Memories. Carol's books are also a must read. Return from Heaven and Children's Past Lives - as Tinkerman suggested. I also suggest that you start keeping a journal, write down things he says, does and reacts too. Journals can be very valuable in the future. Keeping records may prove to be very helpful in the future.

Remember to be matter of fact with him, ASK questions and let him explain. Try not to plant ideas or answers - and when he is a little older - ask him to draw pictures of what he is talking about. Another great resource for you and for him...down the line.

Good luck and do keep us posted.

It sounds like you have some interesting info there. I would definitely keep a journal and if you can record it with a small tape recorder, that is helpful too.

Another thing that aids in keeping track is to take notice of where you are & what you are doing when your child starts talking of this past life. Take note of the time if you can as well. This will help you in deciding what triggers his memories.

I agree with the others that you would benefit greatly by reading Carol's books. There is much good information and advice that would help you in deciding how to understand what you are seeing and hearing as well as how to help your child deal with it.

Good Luck!

This is most intriguing! I am Indian and I speak Hindi fluently.

Baap indeed is the correct word for father. Also, Dhobi is a washerman who washes clothing. A lot of people in India do not have washing machines so you send your clothing to a 'Dhobi' who washes your clothes for you.

If you need any help translating Hindi words I will be more than happy to help you with anything you need.

Baap indeed is the correct word for father. Also, Dhobi is a washerman who washes clothing. A lot of people in India do not have washing machines so you send your clothing to a 'Dhobi' who washes your clothes for you.
Amazing! Here is your first validation Maulacat. :thumbsup: Has your son said any other words?

Obie, thank you for your message. I have sent you a private message. You can reply on here though if you like. Thanks again.x

Hi Maulacat,

Welcome to the forum.

Very interestng indeed. It certainly seems very indicative to me of a past life memory. I wonder how much 'baby babble' is actually an attempt by the child to make herself understood in a new and unfamiliar language, or if children who seem to speak very early or very late do so because they are more or less familiar with their 'new' language.

Anyway, yes, all children are reincarnated in my opionion, I think most people just don't recognise the signs or understand what the child means when he is trying to communicate with the parents about it. It is good that we are more open to these things nowadays and have all these marvellous resources.

We are all old souls. We have all been here before, many times. It is just that the vast majority don't remember - at least not on a conscious level. This is a completely natural process and nothing out of the ordinary. Understanding this should just be one more way that you can understand your child and communicate with him. It is good you don't tell the child he is naughty when he points to the door and says he wants to go home for instance, but are just simply understanding about it.

As Deborah says, just be matter of fact with the kid when he tells you something. Ask for more information, but don't make a huge fuss about it - just as if the child was talking about any adventure such as a trip to the park 'Oh yes, and then what happened.....?'

Don't frighten him or startle him or you run the risk of pushing it all underground. I began to hide my strange ability to remember things because I noticed it would unsettle the grownups (and the other kids).

Hi maulacat,

Your son is so lucky that he has a mom who understands that there are many reasons for things.

If you look really deep and aside from all the fears about what other people think and about perhaps being silly and seeing what you want to see - - - the highest truth you know is that your son is reincarnated and the things he's doing/saying are indicative of that.

You and your partner know your son better than anyone and are probably the only people on earth that are in a position to really truly form an opinion on this matter. Also, at 2, you know pretty much everything they know because you know what and who you have exposed them to. You know that he has no way to learn Hindi. One word can possibly be a coincidence/baby babble but three words and they all have Hindi meanings have to be a statistical impossibility.

I ditto the suggestions to read the books. Also, in my own personal experience, I wish that I had been listening sooner. You have a chance to help your son become fully grounded in this life. That might mean helping to resolve some past life stuff which you will be ready for.

Good luck to you.

Vicky

Maulacat,

I love your story. Not only is your son appropriately using words from another language, (which I'm assuming he hasn't been exposed to), but he has the behaviors of a dhobi! There is a correspondence that's difficult to write off as merely coincidence.

From the time my son first started speaking, he would call his older sister Sarah "Didi". We thought it was because he couldn't pronounce his r's and s's. It wasn't until he was six, and a young girl from India was visiting, that I learned that "Didi" is a Hindi appellation for "older sister". A little bleed-through there.

I hope you feel assured that your son's memories are "normal" after reading some of the posts on the Forum.

PLEASE keep a journal of these remarks and behaviors. This will be a real treasure as he gets older and your memory begins to fade.

Carol

Thanks to everyone for all your words of advice and support so far. Just to keep you all updated, Obie very kindly offered to help me translate any words that my son says that might be Hindi, so I sent her a message with a couple of words that he says that I couldn't find when looking on the net. I told her they sounded like he was saying "panyay/panye" and "batch". She said that the hindi word for water is pani and the hindi word for child is bacha, so these are possibly what he is saying. She said she will ask her mother about the beesa/bissa word and let me know what she says.

Something else that my partner and I find interesting is that when people come round to our house or we go to someone else's, my son is quite shy to begin with, doing the usual "clinging-on-to-mummy's-leg" thing that kids do, even with his grandparents sometimes, yet we have a friend who looks Indian (he is actually half African, but he honestly looks more Indian than African) and on the occasions he has been round, my son runs up to him as soon as he comes in the door and hugs his legs! We all commented how strange and out of character this was for him and this all happened before we knew about the words he was saying, etc.

I played some indian music to my son yesterday on the computer and he started patting the computer desk with the palm of one of his hands in time to the music, like he was playing the bongo drums! Of course, this could just be coincidence and maybe he just liked the music, but I thought it was worth mentioning to everyone.

Another thing my son did yesterday, which actually worried me a bit,was that on 2 occasions when I left the room he was in, after a minute or 2 of being on his own he suddenly started calling for me hysterically and screaming in a tone that he normally only uses when he is panicking (i.e. the sort of tone you'd imagine he would use if he got his foot stuck in something for example). Of course, I rushed to the room, panicking myself that he had hurt himself, yet by the time I got to the room (which cant have taken more than a few seconds), he had stopped shouting and was quite happy, sucking his thumb watching TV as if nothing had happened! This is very strange, as he has never done this before, he has only ever called for me calmly or cried "normally" if he wanted me, so my concern is that perhaps now he is starting to remember things from a previous life and some of these things are upsetting for him. I suppose I will just have to wait and see if yesterday was just a one-off (maybe he was just in a bad mood! :) ).

I played some indian music to my son yesterday on the computer and he started patting the computer desk with the palm of one of his hands in time to the music, like he was playing the bongo drums! Of course, this could just be coincidence and maybe he just liked the music, but I thought it was worth mentioning to everyone.
There is an Indian drum called the tabla. It is similar to the American bongos. I am wondering if perhaps that is what he was thinking of.

Thanks again to Obie, who has helped me again with decifering some more of the words my son comes out with. I asked her about a word he says that sounds like "cha-cha" and another which sounds like "pooch". She confirmed that these, again, are both hindi words, and that pooch means to ask and cha-cha is uncle! I keep wondering if maybe he's just trying to say English words and they just come out funny because he's still learning, but I have to admit that for him to have now come out with this many words which are all words from the same language, along with all the other stuff I have mentioned that is a bit odd, it does seem to be rather convincing evidence for the past life theory. Part of me is hoping that he is reincarnated, because I am fascinated by it and would also love proof that we carry on in some way after death, but then there's part of me that's hoping he's not for both his and my sakes. What I mean is that I am scared for him incase he is reincarnated and has memories that he doesn't want or is sad because he wants to see his old family and old home, and I'm scared for me incase he says that he liked his old mummy better or something like that!

Hi maulacat,

There is quite a lot to think about that you have never thought about before when dealing with a child with memories. When my son asked us if we kidnapped him from his old family and said he wanted us to buy another house in the hopes his old family would be there, I was quite certain I had never seen a proposed response to that in any parenting book I had ever seen.

BTW-my son also used to scream hysterically when I left the room. He told me when he was 5 that his past life mother was killed in a car accident. Even though he had gotten somewhat better about being away from me by that time, he was completely better after having told me about it. I believe Carol's books mention something of this nature too. That often kids get over past life trauma after they tell you about it.

Deborah suggested drawing what the child is afraid of too. You might save that until he gets a little older but you may want to start paying attention to his drawings sooner than that. My son has, on his own, drawn some pretty interesting stuff that is probably past life related.

Also, my son cried when he told me that his past life mommy died. I didn't feel jealous because I was so relieved that someone had loved him as I do. Its odd that even though he is my child in only this life that I so want him to have been loved even in the lifetimes when i wasn't present. I am grateful to her whoever she was for taking such good care of him.

Vicky

Hi Maulacat,

Part of me is hoping that he is reincarnated, because I am fascinated by it and would also love proof that we carry on in some way after death, but then there's part of me that's hoping he's not for both his and my sakes.
What I mean is that I am scared for him in case he is reincarnated and has memories that he doesn't want or is sad because he wants to see his old family and old home, and I'm scared for me in case he says that he liked his old mummy better or something like that!
Reincarnation is not a selective process. The cycle of rebirth from life time to life time - is a part of life and happens to everyone. It takes courage to embrace another time in history and to realize we don't own our children. They have been here before, just as we have. Sometimes the roles -even reversed.

Perhaps look at your experience(s) with the same wonder that a small child has when he looks at the world. Be open to the possibilities, take notes, react to every situation with love and understanding, and remember - children are our greatest teachers. ;)

Obie said:
There is an Indian drum called the tabla. It is similar to the American bongos. I am wondering if perhaps that is what he was thinking of.
Yes, I knew that there was some kind of drum like the bongos that Indian people played (didn't know it was called tabla though!), which was why I mentioned it really, because I thought it was strange the way he reacted. This was the first time he had done the hand tapping thing, that I remember anyway, and the first time that he had really listened to Indian music, so it did seem like (yet another!) strange coincidence!

"home"

Just recently things seem to be happening that support my hunch. For example, my son still doesn't talk properly yet, but about a month ago we were at home and he said "home" for the first time. However, when he said it he went to the front door and kept pointing to go out saying that he wanted to go "home". I tried to explain to him that he was home, but he wouldn't accept this. He has done the same thing several times since and, rather than throwing a tantrum when I try to explain that he cant go out because he is home (as he would normally do with something when he cant get his own way), he just seems genuinely sad that he cant go.
I find this very fascinating. I did the exact same thing when I was a young child and I had never heard of it in anyone else before. I would have what I can only really describe as panic attacks? I would be more or less in hysterics, telling my mother that I wanted to go home. She would do exactly what you did, telling me that I was home. I remember being very frustrated by the fact that I couldn't fully express the "home" that I was talking about to her. I must have been around four or so - my parents were divorcing at the time. I think that things might have been getting a bit too stressful for me. I still have that thought sometimes, when I'm exhausted emotionally or physically. "Wow, I really want to go home."

Maulacat,

You said you wonder if your 2 year old is reincarnated. I believe that everyone alive today has reincarnated from a previous life. (I do not believe anyone alive today is in their first incarnation.) To me, it is just a matter of finding out where we were before, and seeing how much we recall.

Hi Maulacat,

As the others have said, all of us are reincarnated I believe thousands and thousands of times It's just most of us don't remember the details. We only have subconscious urges, strange dreams, phobias and various other quirky likes and dislikes to show for our 'mileage'. It is very fascinating and exciting, but don't forget your little boy is also just a little boy like any other! (Although I am sure he is the cutest little boy in the world).

It is not unusual for little kids to go through a period of being upset (even to the point of being seemingly hysterical!) when they lose sight of their mother. It might be past-life related, it might be just a normal stage, it might be a bit of both. He will no doubt, like everything else, grow out of it and get over it all the quicker as he is constantly reassured that he is loved and safe in his new environment.

What I mean is that I am scared for him incase he is reincarnated and has memories that he doesn't want or is sad because he wants to see his old family and old home, and I'm scared for me incase he says that he liked his old mummy better or something like that!
We cannot shield our children from all unhappiness and discomfort, much as we might wish to, and that is probably a good thing in the long run. The occasional upset is part of life, after all, and teaches us compassion and resillience. All of us have had thousands and thousands of happy and unhappy experiences. We have all loved other mothers before our present-life ones, sometimes the same mother over again, sometimes not. We swap roles with our children, lovers, friends, parents, brothers, cousins and sisters from one life to the next. That said, each life is discreet, has its own rules, boundaries and relationship parameters. Love is not something that must be divided and it is not a competition. Love grows the more it is fed and exercised, just like a child. I am sure your darling little son loves you to bits, just as you love him, just as he probably loved his other mummy, just as you probably loved yours! It can get confusing I know! Try not to distress yourself unneccessarily with such thoughts.

It will be very interesting to keep a journal of his Indian words and doings and so forth, and drawings once he gets up to that stage, without making a major to-do about it. The memories may fade as he grows up and I am sure once he is old enough he will find that all very interesting to look back through and contemplate the meanings of it all.

I too intially thought that the separation anxiety is a normal phase of development. However, I found it odd that he was screaming and then stopped before you actually returned to the room. Usually the separation anxiety is only relieved by the child seeing the parent again.

Vicky

Yes, I've read about separation anxiety and sometimes my son does get upset if I try to leave him, but what happened the other day just seemed different somehow. But he hasn't done it again since anyway, so hopefully it was just a one-off either way. I will keep you all posted of any other developments.

The most fascinating thread in recent months! I hope Maulacat will continue to keep us posted. This is the age when the memories flood out. Our daughter, when around three, talked about the war, bombs falling on the city, people sleeping underground, and children having to move to the countryside, and her living in a village called 'Courage Message'. At this age, she barely knew English. Much later, I discovered a village in Berkshire called Curridge, one of many villages to which evacuated children from London were billeted for the duration of the Nazi air-raids in WW2.

I look forward to regular updates of Maulacat's son's memories. This forum is a great resource and sounding board.

Brief Update

Just a quick update, as only a couple of things have happened since the last time I posted, which are:-

Despite the fact that my son doesn't call anyone by their name yet (just identifies relatives with "mama", "nanna", etc), he has started frequently calling people Sarah, and once even called it out (like he was calling someone in the next room for example). We dont even know anyone called Sarah and to my knowledge, other than possibly on TV or just while we've been out and about, he has never even heard this name. Sarah isn't a very Hindi-sounding name I'll admit, but obviously that doesn't mean that this name doesn't have any connection to his previous life.

The only other thing he's done is just something small, but I found it a bit odd. My son has only recently starting saying "bird" when he sees a bird while we're out. He normally says this when he sees any type of bird (i.e. he doesn't specify "duck", "pigeon", etc). The other day I was looking at some stuff on the internet and a photo of an owl came up. Now, I should mention here that I've never taught him what an owl is and none of the books or DVDs he's got have an owl in. Yet, he came over to the computer, pointed and said "owl". He said it more than once and was clearly certain of what it was. I dont know how he could have learned this unless he has seen it on TV and even then, he would probably have had to have seen one a couple of times with someone stating what it was for him to pick this up and let's face it, owls aren't exactly on Cbeebies all the time! The owl is significant in hinduism, as I looked it up and apparently it is the vehicle of one of the hindu goddesses, Lakshmi. However, he was using the English word "owl" rather than the hindi word for owl, which is "ullu", so maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

Hi maulacat,

I agree that 'owl' is an odd word for a two year old to just pick up without you knowing it. Have you spoken to other adults that may take care of him like babysitters or grandparents and ask if they taught him the word?

Vicky

There are only 2 people who have ever babysat him for us and they are his grandmother and my best friend. I've already told my best friend about what he did and she said, like I have already suggested, that perhaps he just picked it up from TV, so she obviously hasn't taught him it. I'm seeing his grandmother tomorrow, so I will ask her then if she recalls ever teaching him anything like this and will post again once I know!

Follow-up to my last post

I've now spoken to my son's grandmother about whether or not she has ever taught him the word "owl" and she said that, as far as she can remember, she hasn't.

Something else that might be of note, which has happened since I posted last, is that while I was in town with my best friend, my son and her daughter, I asked my best friend if she would mind looking after the little ones outside while I went into a shop. While she was stood outside she bumped into her stepbrother. Her stepbrother is half African and half English, and we both think he looks Indian. She told me later that my son had been really smiling at her stepbrother (who he has never seen before), to the point where she actually thought it was quite strange, as my son is the kind of child who is normally shy and wary of strangers. (See my post of 13th June to see another account similar to this).

Something I forgot to post the other day, which could possibly be significant, although I dont know how yet, is what my son draws. He has always been obsessed with drawing circles. I'm sure many children are, but what makes it a bit odd is the way he scribbles round and round quite ferociously and he always says "wheel, wheel". I've tried to tell him sooooo many times that it's a circle, but he still insists on calling it a wheel. Yet, if I draw a circle, he points at it and says "o" (as in the letter "o"). He has also recently started repeatedly drawing 3 vertical lines side-by-side. The side ones tend to slant slightly but the middle one seems straight. I dont know what he is trying to depict, but I sometimes think it looks like a road, and obviously that combined with the "wheel" thing, makes me wonder if maybe he died in a car accident or something.

Hello Maulacat,

My first reaction to your son drawing a "wheel" was to think about samsara - the wheel of life, a symbol for reincarnation in many Eastern religions, also Hinduism.

You can read more about it here.

Karoliina

The only thing I could find about Hinduism and three vertical lines was about painted facial markings:

The lines still retain their original significance, to indicate the spiritual tradition of the wearer. Three vertical lines indicate a devotee of Vishnu, three horizontal lines, a devotee of Shiva.
I found a similar symbol that you can see here - it is "The Awen, or 'rays,' a glyph with three vertical lines or rays of light converging at the top", but it is a druid symbol, although "not genuine symbol of ancient Druidry, but associated with several modern groups. The word Awen in the Gaelic language means means 'inspiration', or 'essence', and refers to to poetic inspiration (traditional) or spiritual illumination (modern)."

Karoliina

Oh my GOD!

Thank you so much Karoliina for your information. I have taken the info you gave me and looked into it on the internet, and have been absolutely stunned - The 3 vertical lines that the hindus draw on their foreheads is EXACTLY what my son has been drawing. If you click on this link:- hhttp://personal.carthage.edu/jlochtefeld/picturepages/bairagis.html it shows a photo of a hindu with the markings referred to. I couldn't believe it. This has pretty much convinced me now, as too many things have happened now for this all to be coincidence. I'll probably always have a small nagging bit of doubt in the back of my head until he starts talking (in English!) I suppose, but hope that then it will all become clear whether there is something to all this (i.e. if there is, hopefully he will say things like "when I was here before", etc, which will be concrete proof as far as I am concerned). I cant wait for him to start talking now, but am very aware that I mustn't lead or pressure him in any way. I'm just so excited!

maulacat said:
The 3 vertical lines that the hindus draw on their foreheads is EXACTLY what my son has been drawing. If you click on this link:- http://personal.carthage.edu/jlochtefeld/picturepages/bairagis.html it shows a photo of a hindu with the markings referred to. I couldn't believe it. This has pretty much convinced me now, as too many things have happened now for this all to be coincidence.
This is indeed amazing! Maulacat - have you shown this image to your son yet?

Michal

michaldembinski said:
This is indeed amazing! Maulacat - have you shown this image to your son yet?
Michal
Hi Michal. Yes, I printed it off earlier and gave it to him for him to have a look at. He smiled and said something that I didn't understand, but didn't react a great deal. But then if this is an image that is "normal" to him, I dont suppose he would really! :)

I was wondering if Obie, who has very kindly helped me with things in my earlier posts, would be able to assist me once again please. Further to my recent post saying that my son has started saying "Sarah", my partner and I have listened carefully to him saying it today and are wondering if he is actually saying "sawa". We were at my Dad's today and he seemed to be calling my Dad it all the time, so we wondered if maybe it meant grandfather or something. I looked therefore had a look on the internet and I did manage to find one reference to this word meaning "grandfather" (please see this link) However, it says that this is the meaning in Modern Eastern Syriac Aramaic, so as far as I know it's not linked to hinduism. Obie, please can you tell me if you know if this language has any connections with hinduism and if not, if the word "sawa"/"saawa", etc has any connections with hinduism that you are aware of? Many thanks, Sonia. x

Back