2 year old a reincarnated Hindu?

Discussion in 'Children's Past Lives -Age 7 & under' started by maulacat, Jun 11, 2007.

1. maulacat

maulacat New Member

Yes, I've read about separation anxiety and sometimes my son does get upset if I try to leave him, but what happened the other day just seemed different somehow. But he hasn't done it again since anyway, so hopefully it was just a one-off either way. I will keep you all posted of any other developments.

2. michaldembinski

michaldembinski Senior Registered

Warsaw, Poland; 52 degrees North, 21 degrees East
    The most fascinating thread in recent months! I hope Maulacat will continue to keep us posted. This is the age when the memories flood out. Our daughter, when around three, talked about the war, bombs falling on the city, people sleeping underground, and children having to move to the countryside, and her living in a village called 'Courage Message'. At this age, she barely knew English. Much later, I discovered a village in Berkshire called Curridge, one of many villages to which evacuated children from London were billeted for the duration of the Nazi air-raids in WW2.

I look forward to regular updates of Maulacat's son's memories. This forum is a great resource and sounding board.

3. maulacat

maulacat New Member

Brief Update

Just a quick update, as only a couple of things have happened since the last time I posted, which are:-

Despite the fact that my son doesn't call anyone by their name yet (just identifies relatives with "mama", "nanna", etc), he has started frequently calling people Sarah, and once even called it out (like he was calling someone in the next room for example). We dont even know anyone called Sarah and to my knowledge, other than possibly on TV or just while we've been out and about, he has never even heard this name. Sarah isn't a very Hindi-sounding name I'll admit, but obviously that doesn't mean that this name doesn't have any connection to his previous life.

The only other thing he's done is just something small, but I found it a bit odd. My son has only recently starting saying "bird" when he sees a bird while we're out. He normally says this when he sees any type of bird (i.e. he doesn't specify "duck", "pigeon", etc). The other day I was looking at some stuff on the internet and a photo of an owl came up. Now, I should mention here that I've never taught him what an owl is and none of the books or DVDs he's got have an owl in. Yet, he came over to the computer, pointed and said "owl". He said it more than once and was clearly certain of what it was. I dont know how he could have learned this unless he has seen it on TV and even then, he would probably have had to have seen one a couple of times with someone stating what it was for him to pick this up and let's face it, owls aren't exactly on Cbeebies all the time! The owl is significant in hinduism, as I looked it up and apparently it is the vehicle of one of the hindu goddesses, Lakshmi. However, he was using the English word "owl" rather than the hindi word for owl, which is "ullu", so maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

4. vicky

vicky Senior Member

Hi maulacat,

I agree that 'owl' is an odd word for a two year old to just pick up without you knowing it. Have you spoken to other adults that may take care of him like babysitters or grandparents and ask if they taught him the word?

Vicky

5. maulacat

maulacat New Member

There are only 2 people who have ever babysat him for us and they are his grandmother and my best friend. I've already told my best friend about what he did and she said, like I have already suggested, that perhaps he just picked it up from TV, so she obviously hasn't taught him it. I'm seeing his grandmother tomorrow, so I will ask her then if she recalls ever teaching him anything like this and will post again once I know!

6. maulacat

maulacat New Member

Follow-up to my last post

I've now spoken to my son's grandmother about whether or not she has ever taught him the word "owl" and she said that, as far as she can remember, she hasn't.

Something else that might be of note, which has happened since I posted last, is that while I was in town with my best friend, my son and her daughter, I asked my best friend if she would mind looking after the little ones outside while I went into a shop. While she was stood outside she bumped into her stepbrother. Her stepbrother is half African and half English, and we both think he looks Indian. She told me later that my son had been really smiling at her stepbrother (who he has never seen before), to the point where she actually thought it was quite strange, as my son is the kind of child who is normally shy and wary of strangers. (See my post of 13th June to see another account similar to this).

Something I forgot to post the other day, which could possibly be significant, although I dont know how yet, is what my son draws. He has always been obsessed with drawing circles. I'm sure many children are, but what makes it a bit odd is the way he scribbles round and round quite ferociously and he always says "wheel, wheel". I've tried to tell him sooooo many times that it's a circle, but he still insists on calling it a wheel. Yet, if I draw a circle, he points at it and says "o" (as in the letter "o"). He has also recently started repeatedly drawing 3 vertical lines side-by-side. The side ones tend to slant slightly but the middle one seems straight. I dont know what he is trying to depict, but I sometimes think it looks like a road, and obviously that combined with the "wheel" thing, makes me wonder if maybe he died in a car accident or something.

7. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

Hello Maulacat,

My first reaction to your son drawing a "wheel" was to think about samsara - the wheel of life, a symbol for reincarnation in many Eastern religions, also Hinduism.

You can read more about it here.

Karoliina

The only thing I could find about Hinduism and three vertical lines was about painted facial markings:

I found a similar symbol that you can see here - it is "The Awen, or 'rays,' a glyph with three vertical lines or rays of light converging at the top", but it is a druid symbol, although "not genuine symbol of ancient Druidry, but associated with several modern groups. The word Awen in the Gaelic language means means 'inspiration', or 'essence', and refers to to poetic inspiration (traditional) or spiritual illumination (modern)."

Karoliina

8. maulacat

maulacat New Member

Oh my GOD!

Thank you so much Karoliina for your information. I have taken the info you gave me and looked into it on the internet, and have been absolutely stunned - The 3 vertical lines that the hindus draw on their foreheads is EXACTLY what my son has been drawing. If you click on this link:- hhttp://personal.carthage.edu/jlochtefeld/picturepages/bairagis.html it shows a photo of a hindu with the markings referred to. I couldn't believe it. This has pretty much convinced me now, as too many things have happened now for this all to be coincidence. I'll probably always have a small nagging bit of doubt in the back of my head until he starts talking (in English!) I suppose, but hope that then it will all become clear whether there is something to all this (i.e. if there is, hopefully he will say things like "when I was here before", etc, which will be concrete proof as far as I am concerned). I cant wait for him to start talking now, but am very aware that I mustn't lead or pressure him in any way. I'm just so excited!

9. michaldembinski

michaldembinski Senior Registered

Warsaw, Poland; 52 degrees North, 21 degrees East
    This is indeed amazing! Maulacat - have you shown this image to your son yet?

Michal

10. maulacat

maulacat New Member

Hi Michal. Yes, I printed it off earlier and gave it to him for him to have a look at. He smiled and said something that I didn't understand, but didn't react a great deal. But then if this is an image that is "normal" to him, I dont suppose he would really! :)

I was wondering if Obie, who has very kindly helped me with things in my earlier posts, would be able to assist me once again please. Further to my recent post saying that my son has started saying "Sarah", my partner and I have listened carefully to him saying it today and are wondering if he is actually saying "sawa". We were at my Dad's today and he seemed to be calling my Dad it all the time, so we wondered if maybe it meant grandfather or something. I looked therefore had a look on the internet and I did manage to find one reference to this word meaning "grandfather" (please see this link) However, it says that this is the meaning in Modern Eastern Syriac Aramaic, so as far as I know it's not linked to hinduism. Obie, please can you tell me if you know if this language has any connections with hinduism and if not, if the word "sawa"/"saawa", etc has any connections with hinduism that you are aware of? Many thanks, Sonia. x

11. vicky

vicky Senior Member

Can your son say his 'r's? Can Obie tell us whether Sara is a word in HIndi?

The other thing i was thinking regarding your confusion about your son saying 'owl' is that maybe he was an Indian that also spoke English. Many Indian people speak English.

Vicky

12. maulacat

maulacat New Member

Yes,most countries do speak English as well as their native language I suppose, so that's a definite possibility. Plus, he could have even been a Hindu living in England in his previous life! My friends and family are convinced that he must have picked the word "owl" up from TV though and I know I cant rule this out.

As for whether or not he can say his 'r's properly, this is a good point, because with the few English words he does currently say, he does get the prounounciation of some of them wrong (i.e. he says "pwease" when asking for something, instead of "please"). At this moment in time I cant think of any English words that he says yet that have the letter 'r' in, so I cant really give you an answer about whether he pronounces them properly. Therefore, the word could really be either sarah/sara or sawa (and the spellings of either of those could be saara, sahra, saawa, etc!). Any help from anyone with hindi knowledge in relation to this word would be much appreciated - even if you just confirm that you speak hindi and have never come across a word like this, at least that would give me an answer!

It's so hard for me to try and do any investigation into the things my son's been coming out with, because I dont speak any hindi and although there are resources available to look up hindi words, there are several potential spellings of the word(s) he has said, so half the time I dont know where to begin!

Thanks again to everyone on here for their comments and help.

13. maulacat

maulacat New Member

Yet another intriguing piece of possible "proof"!

Further to my recent posts regarding the word that my son has been coming out with that sounds like Sarah/Sara/Sawa, which he has been calling everyone, I have been researching on the internet (again!) and have found some info which I think is very compelling. As you will see if you look at this link:- http://www.justparents.co.uk/babynames-57_Zahra.html, there is a hindi name, Zahra, and not only does this sound like the name my son has been saying, it means fair-skinned! I find this particularly interesting because, as you can see from my previous posts, my son certainly seems to relate and feel more comfortable in the presence of people with darker complexions and he has called several people Zahra, which makes me feel like he is almost puzzled as to why everyone around him is fair-skinned! Of course, maybe it is just that he knew someone called Zahra in his previous life, but he does seem to call lots of people around him by this name/word!

14. Obie

Obie Senior Registered

maulacat,

Sorry I was away for so long from this website. TO answer your question, Sara/sawa does not ring any bells. However, your name Sonia is a very popular Indian Hindu name. It is pronounced the same as it is here also.

15. maulacat

maulacat New Member

That's a coincidence! I'd only ever heard that my name is a Russian word meaning "wisdom", so that's quite freaky. Is there a Hindi meaning for my name that you know of please, because I'd love to know what it is? Anyway, thanks for getting back to me. In one of my posts above I mention a Hindi name I found, Zahra, which sounds very much like the word my son is saying. Other than this name, I haven't found anything really.

He's still saying the word all the time and calls friends and family it. When he and I are alone he'll say the word a couple of times in his "pleading" tone (that's the only way I can describe it :laugh: !), like it's the name of someone he wants to go and see and he's asking me to take me to see them.

Goodness only knows what is going on in his head and what this word means to him! Maybe we will never know. He is starting to talk more now though, so if there are any details of a past life he has to tell, I think they will probably start to surface over the next year or 2.

16. Obie

Obie Senior Registered

Well I did some more thinking and this is what I came up with. Sahara can mean assistance. To give someone some "sahara". "Sara" can mean all. "sara" time = all of the time. Watch the context in which he says it. I hope that helps.

Sonia means Golden. Sona is the word for gold.

17. maulacat

maulacat New Member

Thanks for that Obie. That's good that my name means something nice!

With regards to my son, it's still so hard for my partner and I to tell if he's trying to say "sawa" or "sara" (as I mentioned before in an earlier post), because his pronounciation's still not great! However, he's definitely not saying "sahara", so we can rule that one out. I found it fascinating that you said "sara" means "all" though, as I was thinking how this could make sense: He only uses the word to address people when we're in a group of family/friends, apart from when he and I are at home alone together, in which case he'll say it in the tone that shows he's asking to see "sawa", so maybe if it means "all", he's using it to mean "everyone", i.e. when we're with people he's saying "hey, everyone" and when we're alone he's saying he wants to see "everyone"! It's a definite possibility I suppose.

18. alkap

alkap New Member

sara

I speak gujarati which is similar to hindi. Sara means good in

the plural sense. ie saru means it is good, sara means they are good. Hope this makes sense.

19. maulacat

maulacat New Member

Thanks alkap. All suggestions are gratefully received, so keep them coming everyone!

20. jujam

jujam New Member

Sorry for the digression

I do apologize for this digression. I've been riveted by this thread and wanted to jump in earlier before the topic got so specific. I've got a nagging question about the overall opinion/theory regarding who & where we are reincarnated into. I have heard two schools of thought - the one being that it is fairly random, as in this case with the Hindi/English (American?). But I have also heard that we tend to "travel in circles" so to speak. Meaning, within a reasonable perimeter, we "hang out" with family. Does anyone have any insight that can reconcile these 2 schools of thoughts?

And on a side note - this IS a fascinating thread! I, too, wish I had been "paying attention" during the "babbling" months/years and wonder how much of baby babbling has always been so much more than that!

Both of my children have gone through the "I want to go home" phase, both at around the ages of 3-4. Can't help but wonder how common, if not universal this is!