• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Anyone Jewish and believe in reincarnation?

BriarRose said:
I have a question, Mazal. I know that originally it was men who studied the Torah, and debated with each other. As Judaism has evolved, are women included in religious studies? I love the role women play in the Jewish home, but the idea of religious doctrine evolving through debate is so exciting. Women had to remain silent in church in my fundamentalist Christian upbringing. We were considered fit to cook, and clean, and teach Bible school to children under twelve, and that was all. I know that women were respected in Jewish tradition, but are their minds considered equal to their male contemporaries at this point in time?
There's a lot of controversy going on now about women reading Torah at the Western Wall...Women are not supposed to read Torah from the scroll version (Right?!) but can learn it, but I don't know why?!

I think women's minds are actually more analytical in Kabbalistic thought because of binah, the female sephirot (soul part), which helps people be more analytical, which women have an extra dose of!

However, the reason women can't read directly from the Torah seems to be more about purity than mental capacity?!

BriarRose said:
Oh dear, that sounds like what the Christians taught me. I've read all sorts of theories about why most religions consider women "unclean". It probably has nothing to do with God, and everything to do with men feeling threatened by "women's mysteries".
I'll bet...I asked a Chassidic friend why she can't read Torah after I saw your questions...We'll see what she says :)

You know, another rabbi, in a book I was reading claimed that all Jews were Jews in past lives...I wasn't, but I'm a convert and so is my mom. Maybe your mom was a convert or you were in a past life? I dunno; I want him to be right so I can be born Jewish in my next life and not have to convert again. I need to find more evidence, here.

Oh but he didn't say all Jews are reborn Jewish. Maybe it depends on commitment to Judaism? I don't know!

This is a good article on different Jewish opinions on reincarnation, by the way: http://www.myjewishlearning.com/beliefs/Theology/Afterlife_and_Messiah/Life_After_Death/Reincarnation.shtml

I think I had a Jewish life from about 1890 to 1946. I long for it sometimes. I think I would only convert if I had married a Jewish man. However, one of the reasons that I left my family's church at age 19 was the attitude toward women. We couldn't speak in any capacity during a service, or serve as deacons, elders, ministers, or attend business meetings, although 12 year old boys attended and had a vote. It sounds as though I would probably have had similar issues with Judaism. I also had difficulty believing in the virgin birth, and that Jesus was anything but a wise man.

There are only problems with women in ORTHODOX Judaism. Women do everything men do in every other Jewish movement. However, converting because of a past life or because of a man aren't the reasons you should convert to Judaism. You'd have to be serious about it. You can just admire it from afar, haha ;)

Sarellah said:
There's a lot of controversy going on now about women reading Torah at the Western Wall...Women are not supposed to read Torah from the scroll version (Right?!) but can learn it, but I don't know why?!

However, the reason women can't read directly from the Torah seems to be more about purity than mental capacity?!
Hi Sarellah

A couple of centuries ago already it was ruled that because the Torah is so holy, it cannot be made impure - so that there is no problem with a woman touching a Torah scroll when she is menstruating - which is where the impurity laws have been kept today. (You also become impure by having contact with a dead body, or even a lizard(!) - so it's not just an anti-woman thing). Even less if she has immersed after finishing bleeding. (I don't want to get into the whole menstruation thing - but many people have argued it's mainly about making sure husband and wife aren't available to each other all the time, and it also helps to boost fertility!)

Some Orthodox shuls do have separate women's Torah readings (from the Scroll) and a few have services where women can be called up to read from the Torah even in a mixed congregation. The issue is not one of mental capacity or purity but rather the notion of "tsniut" - modesty. A woman isn't meant to flaunt herself or her abilities - especially in front of men. There's also a very old notion that if a woman is called up to read it suggests that none of the men are educated enough to do so (insult to the men) - because in previous times, they would only have called on a woman if all of the men were illiterate. (It's actually quite a skill to read from the Torah properly - it's in Hebrew with no vowels, and a system of quasi-musical notation which tells you how to pitch and inflect the words)

THere's also the issue that public prayer should only be led by those who acknowledge the obligation to pray three times a day - and that for most women of childbearing age that wasn't practical (honestly - I have 4 children under the age of 10, and even with a VERY involved husband...!)

Women are just now starting to study Torah to the level of their male counterparts in the more "Modern" Orthodox world - I learnt in a class with guys who were preparing for semicha - the exams that make you a rabbi. I didn't do the whole course - but some people do recognise the learning I did do. (And yes, sometimes I go places where I have to hide it, and just get expected to bring and clear the dinner dishes while the men have the conversations.)

I love your patience, BriarRose, and your respect for your family - which is a beautiful (and very Jewish!) impulse. If your soul wants to be born Jewish in the next life (and if you feel it to have been Jewish in a past life, it may well be a "Jewish soul" - i.e. one whose natural home is within Judaism) I suspect it will - unless for some reason it chooses a journey for which it once again needs to be separate from its spiritual "home" or to go through the ordeal of conversion. Meanwhile, if Jewish practices mean something to you, there is nothing stopping you from doing them, or using Jewish prayers. For various historical reasons, Jews have kept their faith to themselves for too long - there is (I think) much beauty in Judaism which is longing to be shared.

One of the things I value about Judaism is the respect for family. Judaism seems to me more than a religion. It is an entire way of being. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, Mazal. Sarellah, I respect your aunt's decision to wait. My husband's family is strongly Catholic. His cousin married a practicing Jewish man. There was so much commotion in both families, that the wedding was cancelled once. Then, she converted, and her family went through grief. Eventually, the wedding happened. We attended, and my husband and I thought it was the best wedding ever. However, it was all so complicated that I would rather be born Jewish! I am hesitant to inadvertently dishonour Judaism by adopting customs and traditions that are not my birth right, but it is kind of you to be willing to share your beautiful customs, Mazal. Converting is a serious commitment, as you pointed out, Sarellah. Mazal, I base my feelings of having been Jewish on strong dreams where I was an older Jewish woman, living with a husband that she loved profoundly, in a borough of New York. It was a good life, and I was more content with my religion than I have been in this one.

BriarRose said:
However, it was all so complicated that I would rather be born Jewish! I am hesitant to inadvertently dishonour Judaism by adopting customs and traditions that are not my birth right.
Judaism is complicated, you know. You could be an Orthodox Jew your whole life and STILL butcher it because it's so hard and complicated. Most Jews, by the way, do not practice any Judaism whatsoever and if they choose to return to a religious lifestyle, or ba'al teshuvah, they end up taking a long time to get comfortable with and good at all the rituals and to understand what everything's all about. If you have a Jewish soul, though, your soul will feel connected and will long to understand and be part of it all, and that's what matters.

And I'm sorry if I offended someone; I am immature when it comes to my relationship with my mom and it probably shows. I'm still learning to not care what she thinks, which means I am a little callous in remembering to care how she feels. It's a process...I have to convert to Judaism because my mom converted after I was born, and that means technically I'm not truly Jewish. So I will convert as soon as my mom has a vacation day. I decided my mitzvah as a convert will be to honor my mother, and I will start right now. (You're supposed to pick a mitzvah as a fresh new Jewish person...) What do you think? :)

I'll try, but sometimes I don't think she deserves it. Or does that matter?

Mazal...Is that your real name? Cuz I know mazel actually means astrological influence, otherwise known as "luck". And I think it's nice to tell someone "mazel tov" (good luck), but at the same time, it's an unhealthy thing to worry about (is my luck really good?). Hahahaha. I still think it's a pretty name :)

Oh I just reread this whole thing: http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/160965/jewish/What-Does-Mazel-Tov-Mean.htm

Sarellah, you reminded me of something. When my husband and I were dating, I gave him half a mizpah coin, and I wore the other half. That was long before I started having dreams about my Jewish PL. Thank you for helping me get another bit of personal validation.

You're welcome, and that's awesome! :)

Can you explain a mizpah coin? All you goyim know so much about Judaism! But I probably shouldn't use that word since I'm technically one of those myself haha :p

"May the Lord keep watch between thee and me, while we are apart from each other", or something to that effect. It's a covenant. Mazal can explain it much more clearly than me, and more accurately. I think it's a beautiful sentiment, and I wanted to keep him close to my heart, and safe, when we weren't together. By the way, I think he was my husband in my Jewish PL. I had never felt inspired to give anyone else half that coin. I can almost remember his Hebrew name, but not quite.

Actually, Briar Rose, I can't explain it more clearly! I've really enjoyed reading how deeply you've related to Judaism, and I'm sure you'll come "home" in whatever incarnation you're ready. Saralleh, I wish you all the best in your own Jewish journey - and with your Mum. Those relations are never easy, and like all the mitzvoth, the one of honouring parents is something to work towards rather than something to be "mastered".

Mazal said:
Actually, Briar Rose, I can't explain it more clearly! I've really enjoyed reading how deeply you've related to Judaism, and I'm sure you'll come "home" in whatever incarnation you're ready. Saralleh, I wish you all the best in your own Jewish journey - and with your Mum. Those relations are never easy, and like all the mitzvoth, the one of honouring parents is something to work towards rather than something to be "mastered".
Thank you, it means a lot :) I plan on converting despite being confused between doubt and faith. A rabbi told me doubt is part of finding faith; not something separate. Because when we ask questions it helps us realize the truth. And faith is accepting that we will never know the full truth, but believing anyway.

I agree...I don't think we can ever master any virtue...All sin and all fall short of G-d's glory ;) My mom and I will probably get better once I accept that my inner peace DOES NOT depend on HER inner peace, which I believed my whole life that it did. I just thought of that today. I allow her stress to make me stressed, and her anger to make me angry. Instead I should choose peace in every situation regardless of what emotion she chooses :)

Anyone else know of good references to Jewish text/thought regarding reincarnation?

Judaism and Reincarnation

The following link helps to frame the idea of reincarnation with respect to Judaism:

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/reincarnation-the-transmigration-of-a-jewish-idea/

I have an Orthodox Jewish friend who indicated to me that reincarnation is accepted in Orthodox Judaism (but perhaps not in the Reform or Conservative branches).

"For you [i.e., the Jews] are a people holy to the Lord your God, and the Lord has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession, out of all the peoples who are on the face of the earth." (Deuteronomy 14:2)

It seems to me there is a difficulty if the Jewish individual conceives that this concept of "chosen" relates not only to the human/incarnate person but to his permanent/spiritual identity as well. (Sorry, words for this are hard to find.) He would then hold that a Jew is always reincarnated as a Jew. My friend, I think, would like to believe this, but experiences of contributors to this forum and many others indicate this isn't so.

I personally have identified a previous life as a Jew, though I'm not Jewish in this life. Interestingly, years before that past life became apparent to me I was sympathetic to Orthodox Judaism and felt the sensibility and practical benefits of its teachings and practices.

Judaism and Reincarnation
The following link helps to frame the idea of reincarnation with respect to Judaism:

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/arti...a-jewish-idea/
Actually, that is the opinion of one (Conservative Western) Rabbi, and not with respect to the whole of Judaism. I completely disagree with his views. But, I also disagree with Jewish (and other religions's) "official" view of how reincarnation works.
It seems to me there is a difficulty if the Jewish individual conceives that this concept of "chosen" relates not only to the human/incarnate person but to his permanent/spiritual identity as well. (Sorry, words for this are hard to find.)
Your words are fine :) I would just like to clarify. First, I want to clarify the word "Jewish". It can mean "a follower/practitioner of Judaism", or it could refer to the Jewish ethnicity, or both. The English language is so frustrating for me because it only has one word, "Jewish" to describe both the religion and the ethnicity. In Hebrew there are separate words to describe each.
Jews are "chosen people" (according to religion) NOT because we're "superior" (not at all!) but because we chose to accept Torah (translated as 'law' but it really means 'instructions') AND agreed (chose) to do all that He had said. (An agreed upon contract). G-d gave the Torah to the Jews (Israelites) because He was keeping the promise He had made to Avraham, Isaac and Jacob that He would make their descendants a nation. A nation needs a set of laws or there would be chaos. (Every nation has laws for citizens to obey).

Jews do not proselytize because there is no NEED for anyone to drop their beliefs and come to Judaism because all people (no matter what their beliefs/lack of beliefs) go to Olam Haba ("World To Come"/"Paradise"). And there is no belief in "hell" or "eternal damnation". Plus, most Jews are secular and not religious (I'm not religious).

Jewish tradition teaches that everyone descended from Adam and Chava (Eve) so that no one could say they were better than anyone else. In Hebrew "adam" means "man(kind)" and the word for "person" is "ben adam" (literally "son of man"). All people are equal.

No one I know goes around with the concept of "chosen", we're just Jewish (Yehudeem). (And I don't mean to sound rude and I sincerely apologise if it sounded that way! I just wanted to clarify, but not sure if I've chosen the right words or not).

He would then hold that a Jew is always reincarnated as a Jew. My friend, I think, would like to believe this, but experiences of contributors to this forum and many others indicate this isn't so.
Rabbi Yonassan Gershom wrote about this in his book:
"......because the idea of a "Jewish soul" flies in the face of current "new age" theology, many people on the speaking circuit have taken me to task for teaching it. In all fairness, I must point out that belief in an "ethnic soul" is not limited to Jews alone.

For example, the Druzes.....firmly believe that "a Druze will always be reborn a Druze." Because the Druzes also expect to be reborn immediately after death, their children often remember vivid, accurate details about the life just prior to this one.

In addition to the Druze, many other tribal cultures, including both Native American and African peoples, also believe in an "ethnic soul". The late James "Jimmie" Jackson, a well-respected Ojibwa medicine man from Minnesota, taught that American Indian souls can and should retain their tribal identity after death. In his work with Objibwa youth, he frequently stressed the importance of having an Indian name, in order to find one's relatives in the next world. At the moment of death, Jimmie explained, everyone follows a road with two sets of tracks, one made by moccasins and the other by shoes. At the place where these two trails fork, a spirit speaks Ojibwa to the soul and asks for its Indian name. If the soul cannot understand the language or remember the name, then it must follow the shoe tracks and go with the white people instead.

In contrast to this tribal perspective, Western metaphysics currently teaches that the soul has no permanent cultural identity, but is supposed to shed its ethnicity with the death of the body. The soul then goes "into the light" where it rests in a generic interlife, until it voluntarily chooses to return to earth in a new body. According to this model, the karmic bond among souls is not membership in a tribe, but rather, the interpersonal relationships among the souls themselves.

This theory has great appeal to students of metaphysics in the United States, where the majority of citizens come from a mixed heritage and are not strongly connected to any particular tribe or culture. In addition, many "new agers" now see the tribal belief in an "ethnic soul" as backwards and narrow-minded. However, with the recent rise in multicultural awareness, I believe we must now reexamine many basic assumptions about "universal" spirituality.

Concerning reincarnation, many North American Indians not only want to come back into the same tribe, they expect to be reborn within the same family lines. According to parapsychologist Antonia Mills of the University of Virginia, this belief is so common among Native Americans that it poses a serious problem for scientists who want to study Indian children with past-life memories. "It's very difficult in general," Mills said, "to be sure that the statement a child makes [about a past life] is not based on knowledge the child could learn from its parents or other relatives."

Be that as it may, both Jewish and Native American souls seem to prefer returning in the same genetic lines. And therein lies an interesting question. What happens when entire family trees----even whole tribes----are completely wiped off the face of the planet, so that no visible trace of their gene pool remains?

I have heard Native American shamans tell stories about "Indian souls" who were separated from their own people when smallpox epidemics wiped out the entire tribe. With no trace of the tribal gene pool left, these souls went elsewhere to reincarnate, but retained their Indian identities. During the 1960s, this was a common explanation for the sudden interest in native cultures by white middle-class hippies. On more than one occasion, I was told by native shamans that these "white Indians" were the souls of warriors who had died in the previous century.

Interestingly, a high percentage of these "white Indians" also claim to have a genetic ancestor who married an Indian---a common occurrence on the American frontier. Similarly, in cases where Jews have come back as Gentiles, they often discover a "forgotten" Jewish ancestor on the family tree.

From an empirical standpoint---provided we accept the evidence of past life regression---numerous examples can be found to support both the "ethnic soul" and the "universalist" theories. On the one hand, the same soul has apparently served as the Dalai Lama, head of Tibetan Buddhism, for fourteen incarnations. That soul, in turn, is accompanied by a cluster of other souls, who serve him as Tibetan monks. On the other hand, Westerners frequently claim a long list of lives in a smorgasbord of cultures. Apparently some souls travel from culture to culture for a "general education" while others remain in one tradition to become specialized.

In addition, because "like attracts like" on the spiritual path, there is probably a strong tendancy for souls with similar agendas to seek each other out from one lifetime to the next. When Rabbi Israel Baal Shem Tov, the founder of Khasidism, "saw" the past lives of his closest disciples, those lives were always Jewish. I believe this was because, like the monks who serve the Dalai Lama, the souls who surrounded the Baal Shem Tov had been working together as Jews for many incarnations.

In contrast, the Edgar Cayce readings contain many stories of clients who wandered from culture to culture in their previous lives. I find myself asking: Was there something about Cayce himself which attracted such souls to him? Or was it simply because America is a land where eclecticism is highly encouraged?

In Edgar Cayce's day, the "melting pot" model of America was in vogue, and "multiculturalism", as we know it today, simply did not exist. Immigrants were expected to Americanize their names, give up their native languages, and throw the ethnic identities overboard as they entered New York Harbor. This attitude of "Americanization", combined with the widespread Christian belief that "in Christ there is neither Jew nor Greek", probably attracted souls who saw such assimilation as the golden path to freedom. In turn, the preponderance of these types of cases in the Cayce readings has caused many people to assume that they are representative of all populations and cultures.

Nowadays, however, serious problems can arise when the two worldviews-----cultural diversity and assimilation---collide on the spiritual path. Secular past-life therapists frequently tell me that, if a Jewish soul opts for a life as a non-Jew, then this is a "positive learning experience" that will bring about a "more universal" perspective. In some cases that may well be true. But to define all souls as "limited" if they choose to specialize in one path is utterly ludicrous. By that definition, the Dalai Lama would be among the most "narrow" and "limited" of all, since he has spent his previous thirteen lives----if not all of his other incarnations too----in the isolated mountains of Tibet! Clearly, a spiritual smorgasbord is not necessary to become an enlightened being.

Secular research on reincarnation, such as that of Dr. Ian Stevenson at the University of Virginia, seems to suggest that we are not drawn to the "opposite" of what we once were,
but to that which is familiar from the previous life.

Past-life therapist Barbara Lane has found similar patterns in her work with American Civil War reenactors. In her new book, 'Echos from the Battlefield' (A.R.E. Press, 1996), she analyzes twelve cases of individuals who had an incarnation in the Civil War period (1860s) and are still attracted to the history, clothing, and lifestyles of that era. All of her clients regularly participate in "living history" reenactment battles and other events, and they repeatedly stated that they felt more comfortable wearing Civil War clothing. Most had spent a great deal of time and money to duplicate uniforms and other garb, as well as the paraphernalia necessary to reenact the battles. For these people, "living history" events are much more than theatre. They are opportunities to step back into the lost world of a previous life.

In conclusion, I feel we must be very careful not to project "white middle-class values" onto our understanding of reincarnation. Belief in rebirth has only recently returned to the Western world, while among many tribal and village societies, including (eastern) Jews, it was never lost. It may well be that these traditional cultures have preserved levels of understanding about cycles of rebirth that have been lost to Western metaphysics. Rather than dismiss one interpretation or the other as "wrong" we should view them all as essential parts of a richly woven tapestry."

('From Ashes to Healing' 1996)

I personally have identified a previous life as a Jew, though I'm not Jewish in this life. Interestingly, years before that past life became apparent to me I was sympathetic to Orthodox Judaism and felt the sensibility and practical benefits of its teachings and practices.
That sounds very interesting. Do you remember when/where that life was?

Back