*Between* life memories in Stevenson's work?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Sparkle, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Sparkle

Sparkle New Member

Does anybody know of any reports of memories from a period *between* lives in any of Stevenson's work? Or in the work of other reliable researchers?

Any help greatly appreciated!

2. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

HI Sparkle,

Welcome to the forum. The University of Virgina - where Ian Stevenson is from, has a great list of books - all well researched. Their Book List link will also take you to their other pages of interest. ;)

3. Kimba W. Lion

Kimba W. Lion disguised as a human

Life between incarnations is the focus of Dr. Michael Duff Newton's books, Journey of Souls, Destiny of Souls, and Life Between Lives (I have not read this last book). He says he got interested in that particular aspect when people spontaneously began describing that portion of spiritual life during regression hypnosis.

4. Titus Rivas

Titus Rivas Senior Registered

5. wavesJ

wavesJ Senior Registered

Among Stevenson's case or other member's memory

Anyone like to tell me? among stevenson's case, are there any cases, "the place of death" and "the place of birth" are in different countries or even different continent?

Is there any member have that kind of memory? Please tell me.

Thanks. :)

6. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

In the book Old Souls- the author gives an example of one of Ian Stevenson's case studies. On page 120, Tom Schoder reflects on Burma Children who remember being Japanese soldiers in 1945. The Burma hate the Japanese.

7. wavesJ

wavesJ Senior Registered

Thanks Deborah. :) But was that Japanese soldiers died in Burma?

8. Chelle

Chelle Probationary

As I recall, yes, these were Japanese soldiers who died in Burma.

I don't remember where I died in my most recent past life, but I do believe it wasn't anywhere near where I was born. The scene I saw out my window where I died isn't like any of the scenery around here. I have had other lives in this region, though, at least 2 that I know of. My most recent past life, I was born in England, however the life before that I believe I died here in North America.

I don't know about Stevenson's cases, but I think Carol Bowman has a few where a child is not born near (meaning in the same region) where the previous personality died. I seem to remember one case in particular that was a same family case. Also if I recall the Leninger case correctly, that is another example. (Someone correct me if I'm misremembering :) )

9. ssake

ssake Senior Registered

There is at least one Stevenson case I remember reading, in which the child reported that after death, he had hung around "in a tree", seen his future mother (or father) and followed them home.

I think Stevenson's cases might be statistically skewed towards these kind of earthbound afterlife experiences, where the person incarnates locally and relatively soon, rather than going to an astral in-between state, because these are precisely the children who will tend to have unusually vivid memories about their just-previous lifetime. One might infer that past-life memory is lost (i.e., not permanently lost but made inaccessible) in the astral plane or in the return journey; but is not as likely to be entirely lost if the person hangs around and incarnates quickly and locally. Stevenson also admits in one of his books that these cases may not be typical or normal.
    Steve S.

10. Sparkle

Sparkle New Member

Thanks for your help everyone!

Interesting paper Titus, I hadn't seen it before. In the case of the Burmese girl, reported by Stevenson, who said that she had been buried with the pilot of the crash, was this verified and did she report this as if she had watched it?

Also, has Stevenson reported any cases (with or without in between memories) where the gap between reincarnations is very large? Even say, a gap of a century or more? I know these are often less veridical cases so he'd be less likely to research them but I thought there was one in 'Twenty Cases...' - anyone know?