Childhood as a rehabilitation period

Discussion in 'Children's Past Lives -Age 7 & under' started by Titus Rivas, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Titus Rivas

Titus Rivas Senior Registered

As a personalist, I strongly believe that children are not 'new' persons who (at best) may be in touch with pseudo-memories of lives of people they have never been themselves. Instead, I see childhood as a period of functional rehabilitation in which we usually recover the level of psychological development we had before we died. First, we become rather helpless babies again and soon after that we should regain the functional level which characterized us before our death. The process is quite similar to the rehabilitation process among people with brain damage.
    I know that Allan Kardec held a similar view. Perhaps the followers of the movement for Krishna consciousness do as well.

If anyone cares to comment or expand upon this model of childhood as rehabilitation period, please go ahead.

Titus Rivas

2. kris0503

kris0503 Senior Registered

Interesting topic. I think very often our children are persons who we have known before, sometimes in this life. I am lucky in this respect. Also, see Galdriel's recent post. I think this recovery, if indeed that is what it is, is rather easy and quick. Of course, the time between last death and this birth could be an important factor in determining how quick and easy the recovery is. I wonder why so many adults are childlike, some practically infantile.

Kris

3. Galadriel

Galadriel Senior Registered

My great grandmother died in 86 and Delenn was born in 99.

And Delenn is very Grownup most of the time.

------------------
    Galadriel aka Megan

There is no such thing as too many books. Too few bookcases can become a problem, however.
    ------------------

Please remember to support your forum. Donations are accepted via Paypal or mail.

4. sensitive soul

sensitive soul Senior Registered

Titus Rivas,

I am confused. What exactly do you mean by "psuedo-memories of people they've never been"? Are you saying that child's past life memories are not real, are not there own? If you say this then how does that tie in to your things you were saying about children being all grown up from who they were when they died in a previous life?

5. Titus Rivas

Dear sensitive soul,

What I was saying was that I believe that children with claimed memories of previous lives are NOT just having pseudo-memories. The opposite theory I was referring to here is the so called 'impersonalist' view of reincarnation. Some (notably Buddhist but also other) authors claim that there is no personal reincarnation but only 'rebirth' of impersonal karma. In other words, there is no-one, according to THEIR theory, who has survived death and reincarnated into a new body. There is just this bundle of thoughts and feelings, etc. that is being passed from a such obliterated dead person to a entirely 'new' baby. Again, according to THEIR theory, not to MINE! The impersonalist view would imply that children never really recall their own previous lives and therefore also that their memories are indeed pseudo-memories, as they would 'remember' lives that were never theirs.
    Now, what I believe in is quite the opposite!!! I actually believe that children remember their very own previous lives and not just what happened to somebody else. My position is called personalism.
    So I haven't changed my views on this at all. I hope that reassures you :)

Best wishes,

Titus

------------------

6. Titus Rivas

Dear Kris,
    Thank you for your response. By the way, certain 'childlike' qualities can also be quite positive sometimes, but I see what you mean.

Best wishes,

Titus

7. Titus Rivas

Dear Galadriel,

Thanks for your remarks.
    Dr. Erlendur Haraldsson has found that recalling a previous life generally gives children a developmental advantage.
    In general, there are cases with unlearned skills and also cases of extremely gifted children which can probably only be explained through reincarnation. There are examples of unlearned skills in the works of Dr. Ian Stevenson. My Indian friend Dr. K.S. Rawat has also studied this type of cases.

Best wishes,

Titus