• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Chinese zodiac and reincarnation

CanSol

Senior Registered
I like to check Chinese Zodiac Signs, sometimes there's truth in them but I wouldn't be me if I'd match my given sign

Like with Western astrology I'm hardly anything from my sign but most correspond to my moon sign (I'm a night owl after all so makes sense)

My current Chinese sign (1987 - Fire Rabbit) is way off as to who I am, while when I looked up the sign of the live that affects me most (sadly you can't go back before 1900) (1921 - Metal Rooster) is more correct to my personality

So if you're into astrology or just curious and see a horoscope that should be for you based on your birth date or year and you're rolling your eyes because it's way off, perhaps check your moon sign or PL Chinese Zodiac

In my case I skip Taurus and Rabbit yet read Sagittarius and Rooster because those are the ones that I should be looking at (perhaps I have to count back to 1899 and see which sign that was, just out of curiousity)

I like to check Chinese Zodiac Signs, sometimes there's truth in them but I wouldn't be me if I'd match my given sign

Like with Western astrology I'm hardly anything from my sign but most correspond to my moon sign (I'm a night owl after all so makes sense)

My current Chinese sign (1987 - Fire Rabbit) is way off as to who I am, while when I looked up the sign of the live that affects me most (sadly you can't go back before 1900) (1921 - Metal Rooster) is more correct to my personality

So if you're into astrology or just curious and see a horoscope that should be for you based on your birth date or year and you're rolling your eyes because it's way off, perhaps check your moon sign or PL Chinese Zodiac

In my case I skip Taurus and Rabbit yet read Sagittarius and Rooster because those are the ones that I should be looking at (perhaps I have to count back to 1899 and see which sign that was, just out of curiousity)
I’ve read a lot about my sign and my birth chart. There’s a lot of things about my sun sign that’s not accurate at all though, the stereotypes. Sun in Gemini & moon in Aquarius. I’d say most everything I’ve read online about moon in Aquarius is incredibly accurate for me.

I read a lot about astrology as a hobby

based on your birth date or year

and this sounds a bit vague ;)
You need your exact data: time of birth and place.
For some planets, accuracy is not important and for something as your ascendant, it is very important.

The more I study astrology (still as a hobby) the more amazed I am. Our own complex nature can be found between aspects, cusps, planets, and signs. It's not just about reading your Sun sign. It's about the countless correlations between the planets and there are so many levels in which you can look at a birth chart. And it is not only looking for the things and traits you are good at, but it is also looking for the things that are 'missing'. For example, personally, I have no Air signs in my birth chart and explains a lot of my problems in life.

It's also important to understand that a birth chart gives you an indication of your situation at birth, not about who you are now. During life, we make choices and grow. We can outgrow our weaknesses or we can choose to stay in our comfort zone.

And last, be careful where you read your information. not all sites on the internet are reliable. Some of them are good, but you need some good books as well and compare notes between at least 5 or more sources to understand well a single subject. :)

Chinese Zodiacs are based on year, exact date is not important and that is known, Chinese Zodiacs are different than Western astrology and birth charts, I know my exact birth chart and fact remains that my moon sign is WAY more important than the 'regular' sign on which all the horoscope are based on
Who says I base everything on a single source and haven't done my own studies anyway? So your last comment is a mute advice/warning

I read a lot about astrology as a hobby

and this sounds a bit vague ;)
You need your exact data: time of birth and place.
For some planets, accuracy is not important and for something as your ascendant, it is very important.

The more I study astrology (still as a hobby) the more amazed I am. Our own complex nature can be found between aspects, cusps, planets, and signs. It's not just about reading your Sun sign. It's about the countless correlations between the planets and there are so many levels in which you can look at a birth chart. And it is not only looking for the things and traits you are good at, but it is also looking for the things that are 'missing'. For example, personally, I have no Air signs in my birth chart and explains a lot of my problems in life.

It's also important to understand that a birth chart gives you an indication of your situation at birth, not about who you are now. During life, we make choices and grow. We can outgrow our weaknesses or we can choose to stay in our comfort zone.

And last, be careful where you read your information. not all sites on the internet are reliable. Some of them are good, but you need some good books as well and compare notes between at least 5 or more sources to understand well a single subject. :)
I have A LOT of air, and some water. I barely have any fire and earth in my chart.

Can’t the month also affect a person? I’m a May Gemini, not on a cusp either. I find that June Gemini’s seem to be a lot different than those born in May, but that’s just from what I’ve observed.

The month does have an affect on a person and is also where the elements water, fire, air and earth show

@CanSol, Your horoscope is not based on your Sun sign. That's a misconception. Your horoscope is a bigger picture than that. Usually, when we meet people, we meet their Ascendant. That the way how people present themselves to the world. The Moon is our emotional life.

An interesting thing is, for example, the planets that are next to your Sun. They can tell a lot. They can strengthen or debilitate your Sun sign.

I don’t understand the impact the ‘houses’ have on a person. Most of the planets in my chart seem to be concentrated in one area, and 7 of the planets are in the 10th and 11th house.

I LOVE being a Virgo. That has to be one of the few things I like about myself. Also, I'm a horse... lol not literally. I'm a human being of course. But my Chinese spirit animal (or whatever you call it) is a horse. I would absolutely love if I could be a Virgo Horse again in my next life, especially the Virgo part. :D

I LOVE being a Virgo. That has to be one of the few things I like about myself. Also, I'm a horse... lol not literally. I'm a human being of course. But my Chinese spirit animal (or whatever you call it) is a horse. I would absolutely love if I could be a Virgo Horse again in my next life, especially the Virgo part. :D

What so special about being Virgo?

About reincarnation and former lives and horoscopes: if your curious, you should take a look at your South Node. That tells about your past, karma and former lives.

What so special about being Virgo?

I dunno. For one thing, we Virgos are notoriously known for being non-forgiving, an attribute that comfortably fits me like a glove. I don't care if you risked your life to save mine, slight me and I will chase you to Hell, and I don't exactly care how long ago it was. That said, as a Virgo we don't tend to put up with peoples' b.s. I actually like holding grudges and being rude to certain people who wrongdid me for the satisfaction i get out of knowing that person deserves it, and what i like even more is when that happens and they look at me like i;m crazy because they want to act as if they'd done nothing to me. Fascinating.

But for a main reason why I want to be a Virgo again is for the "try again" aspect of it, and by that I mean, Virgos are also infamously known for going off on people for matters other people consider to be petty or trivial. For me, the one thing I habitually keep doing and wish i would stop doing is when someone does or says something to me to upset me, even if it wouldn't bother me right then and there, it would start bothering me months after it had already happened and then i would start feeling anger toward that other person. That's unbecoming of a Virgo. In this, and my next, life I want to be that Virgo who will go off on someone for saying or doing something to me I don't like or feel comfortable with.

On a more positive note though, as Virgos we all seem to be compatible with each other... I mean... I shouldn't say "all" but for the most part, a Virgo is compatible with another Virgo, just as a Virgo is with a Capricorn.

Oh. then what’s the point of them, like what are they describing?

for example, the second house is the House of Value. It stands for everything you find valuable. So it's not only Money or Possessions. In my chart, it is in Saggitarius. So everything related to value and money I look at it the Saggy way.

Maybe your second House is in Capricorn and that is quite a different approach to this field.

I dunno. For one thing, we Virgos are notoriously known for being non-forgiving, an attribute that comfortably fits me like a glove. I don't care if you risked your life to save mine, slight me and I will chase you to Hell, and I don't exactly care how long ago it was. That said, as a Virgo we don't tend to put up with peoples' b.s. I actually like holding grudges and being rude to certain people who wrongdid me for the satisfaction i get out of knowing that person deserves it, and what i like even more is when that happens and they look at me like i;m crazy because they want to act as if they'd done nothing to me. Fascinating.

But for a main reason why I want to be a Virgo again is for the "try again" aspect of it, and by that I mean, Virgos are also infamously known for going off on people for matters other people consider to be petty or trivial. For me, the one thing I habitually keep doing and wish i would stop doing is when someone does or says something to me to upset me, even if it wouldn't bother me right then and there, it would start bothering me months after it had already happened and then i would start feeling anger toward that other person. That's unbecoming of a Virgo. In this, and my next, life I want to be that Virgo who will go off on someone for saying or doing something to me I don't like or feel comfortable with.

On a more positive note though, as Virgos we all seem to be compatible with each other... I mean... I shouldn't say "all" but for the most part, a Virgo is compatible with another Virgo, just as a Virgo is with a Capricorn.

Lol. I am Virgo too, but I don't recognize myself. Your description sounds more like a Scorpio trait, although not all Scorpio's are like that. It sounds like you have a strong positioned Pluto, without soft edges.

Interesting that you seem to be compatible with your sign. I tend to not get along with most Gemini’s (most of then ones I know), but I think we all share the common trait of not being able to shut our brains off. I swear I’ll be laying in bed thinking for hours before I actually fall asleep, the amount of things zipping through my head every second is insane. I also think we all have that nervous energy. Obviously not all Gemini’s are like this, but from what I’ve observed this seems to be the 2 most common traits.
I’ve had people ask me my sign and when I say Gemini they sort of give me the “oh...” look hahaha. Probably because we’re stereotyped as being 2 faced.
The signs I seem to get along with most are Cancers and Aquarius’. But I don’t meet someone and base my thinking of them off of their zodiac sign, everyone’s different really.

I've looked into astrology over the years. I'm still not sure where I stand on the subject -- it seems to have something to it, whether because of subtle energies (energies we can not see, but which are still in effect on a sub-conscious level). The ancients knew of the planetary influence, and there does some to be some wisdom to it.

I'm a natal Scorpio, sun in the first house conjunct with the Ascendant (Scorpio was rising when I was born), conjunct with Venus, Merc and Pluto (if Pluto counts for anything any more). Interesting Mars which is in Gemini is in the 8th house, traditionally ruled by Scorpio. Jupiter is on the Mid-heaven in Leo.

All I know is that I'm highly analytical, secretive, and if you get on my wrong side -- adios, compadre. Moon was in Pisces when I was born, too -- and all the individuals I have seen with this placement have either been a) highly sensitive to psychic matters b) erratic to the point of mimicking bi-polar behaviour, with extreme depression and high highs c) poetical, creative in some way or form d) prone to be swept away by the emotions they encounter (like a fish down the river, I guess).

Another part of me believes this all is claptrap created to control the masses, and take advantage of the vulnerable -- how many folks out there make a living from this stuff? And some of them quite a decent one, too.

Say for instance we were all born on a different planet, with different planetary / stellar influences -- what then?

There's reason to see a lot of this was created by humans, for humans, to control human. After all if I created a list of characteristics, assigned them to a given 'sign', and then told folks these signs coincided with a) b) or c) then we as humans would probably find something that correlated to ourselves. We humans can find any correlation in any given thing if we want to.

Say for instance we were all born on a different planet, with different planetary / stellar influences -- what then?

Our astrology only works on this planet. If you were born on Mars, you should use other calculations.

There's reason to see a lot of this was created by humans, for humans, to control human.
That's always possible. Humans love to manipulate each other. But that shouldn't be a reason to reject astrology.
I really don't know why it works, as it works. But many times I've been deeply impressed by astrological explanations/predictions by a friend. My friend could determine periods in my life by looking at transits.

I'm not saying it has zero truth to it, I consider myself open minded on this subject. It just enters a lot of grey areas. It's the same with any 'new age' tool -- one has to tread carefully, and keep a level head.

landsend, I feel much the same as you about this. An experience I had years ago made me think a little differently. I took an optional course "Religion, Science, and the Occult" where the occult presenters were from outside the university's staff. An astrologer was able to demonstrate his ability to identify my birth month by asking me a couple of questions which amazed me. There seems to be something there, I'm just not sure what it is.

KenJ -- I've been looking into it all for some years. My brain is naturally sceptical and has to question and re-question everything, even when I have definitive proof (heck, I'm still questioning reincarnation despite all the evidence I have from my own former life). The moment we stop questioning in my opinion is the moment we can be led on by false beliefs. After all, anything that is innately true will not be damaged by our questioning, as long as the questioning remains constructive and not dismissive.

An interesting read on this subject is a book called 'Heaven's Mirror' by Graham Hancock. It's not directly about astrology but explores the intriguing evidence of an ancient civilisation which appeared to have been wiped off the planet, and the ancients relations with the heavenly bodies. Many of the old structures of ancient civilisations across the world were built in relation to the celestial bodies. For me this ancient wisdom with the heavens/celestial bodies seem to reach a core understanding of what astrology is -- perhaps the connection that we have with the unseen, or the Great Spirit or whatever label is appropriate. After all what could be more divine than looking up at a night's sky and seeing the constellations and knowing innately that you are looking up and into the past, whilst knowing all your ancestors (and by extension past selves) once did the very same thing?

Ken, I agree too.

CanSol, when I've done online readings and calculations, when I've used my past life's birth date and location, which is in Bejing, I've gotten way more accurate results. I've jokingly thought if I was Chinese, it'd make sense to use a Chinese calculation. I'm not saying it works like that, as amusing at that sounds. Much like Ken, I can't put my finger on it what's going on or why though, even though it seems to be consistent.

In my past life I was Pisces, ascendant in Virgo, moon in Cancer.

In my present life I am Virgo, ascendant in Scorpio, moon in Taurus.

Chinese zodiac sign of my past life: Goat.

Chinese zodiac sign of my present life: Tiger, ascendant in Serpent. My month and day of birth: Rooster.

My southern node is Pisces, and my northern node is Virgo. According to what I have seen in my past lives, this makes a lot of sense.

Astrology is very broad, and even though I read a lot about it, I still have doubts about it. I used to think that the only thing that mattered was the sun sign, but now I see that this is not the case. I don't think one zodiacal sign is better than another. Many people say that I look like Scorpio, and indeed, it is my ascendant lol.

This thread is interesting.

Do your research. It is the Vedic astrology that works with these nodes. I think that this process of finding your answers is more important than just getting some end results presented by someone.
And don't stick to the first explanation you find, you should read over and over again, collection the opinions of as many astrologers as possible. You'll find out that every astrologer will use slightly different interpretations, based on how they perceive the world themselves. That's ok but it means you'll have to read them all and then your own subconscious will make the distillation that is applicable to your own life.

Maybe this works the same with your search for former lives. I refer to your other topic where you wondered why it is so hard for you to detect former lives. Try stepping into the process as a purpose in itself. That's a different approach than searching for what specific (famous) individual you were in the past. Those lives of famous individuals work as templates for you. Your intuition recognizes their patterns. That's a starting point, not the end of a search.

Enjoy the ride ;)

Back