Christianity and Reincarnation

Discussion in 'Reincarnation, Religion and Spirituality' started by Nightrain, Jun 29, 2010.

1. SeaAndSky

SeaAndSky Senior Registered

Hi Ken,

Sounds like you're already ON IT! Good luck with the writing.

Wish I'd had a chance to see the City by the Bay in the good old days. Unfortunately, from what I can tell, I might be tarred and feathered (if not worse) if I visited SF nowadays. However, as long as I could keep my mouth shut and my eyes down . . . :rolleyes: Naah!! You know me, I'd end up opening my mouth and getting thrown in the Bay tied to a concrete block (or worse).

On the sensitivity thing, you may be getting into a period of increasing receptivity without having time to develop a commensurate ability to filter data coming in. So, maybe it is important. And, maybe you just picked up something really strong coming in from someone passing by in a car outside. o_O However, it would be good to know from a peace of mind standpoint.

Cordially,
    S&S

PS--My chances of surviving 24 hrs. in SF might be better than in Portland, though that is definitely a tough call. Also, I'd far rather see SF for a variety of reasons. I hate to admit it, but some deeply atavistic part of me wishes I had hit the West coast during the height of the Hippy era (and been at Yasgur's Farm when the bands played). :cool:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    tanker likes this.
  2. SeaAndSky

Hi Polaris,

Maybe. However, from what I can tell, people over there definitely go off like cannons on certain issues. It's really a question of whether one's viewpoints fit into the cultural norms of the area and people around you--wherever that might be. And, of how tolerant the people are of those that diverge from the norm. Frankly, I'd be far more concerned about the consequences of violating cultural norms in SF than where I live or Ken lives. I do hear, however, that people in Cal get more tolerant as you get farther away from the coast and cities.

Cordially,
    S&S

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  3. Stewardess Ester Ősz

Stewardess Ester Ősz Senior Member

I am myself both a beliver in reincarnation and a catholic christian. I've always belived in both, since my earliest childhood. One truth does not exclude the other, and does not have to "win" over the other. In my life, both of these teachings exist side by side within me, without ever have caused me any inner conflict. I do have christian individuals around me, who opouse the concept of reincarnation (some of them quite aggressively) - and I know belivers of reincarnation (friends of mine) who talk aggressively negative about christianity - but to me, beliving in both at the same time has never brought me anything but peace and comfort to my whole life. I could never have been anything other than a beliver of both, and I will never stop being a catholic or stop being a beliver in reincarnation as long as I live. In my experience, the teachings of both catholicism and reincarnation, in symbiosis, gives perfect explainations and meaning to all spiritual and existencial issues in life.

Tinkerman, tanker and fireflydancing like this.
  4. KenJ

KenJ Assistant Archivist and Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

I agree with you. Now if the Church would give its insertion of itself into the roll of salvation and give us accsess to the information that they have supposedly tucked-away, it would be great, but I doubt that it will ever happen.

5. Stewardess Ester Ősz

You, who know the truth about this, dont need the church to tell you about it. And many others would probably not be able to deal with it or take it in. (Imagine pope Francis speaking from his balcony: "Reincarnation is truth." And the rest of the church just: "What a lunatic.") Insight has its time. Our souls find all the knowlege they need, when they are ready for it. I'm not at all done learning either. I think I still have a long, long way to go.

fireflydancing likes this.
  6. KenJ

We all do, I just learned last night that the tomb that Mohamid was buried in has another un-filled section that was reserved for Jesus. I was aware that Jesus was a prophet in their scripture but did not know that part.

Stewardess Ester Ősz likes this.
  7. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

I didn't know that either. But I don't think it will be needed.

Stewardess Ester Ősz likes this.
  8. KenJ

I hadn't even heard about the contention of Jesus dying anywhere else than on a cross until recently. His tomb in Tibet and the stories of Issa were a surprise to me.

9. Stewardess Ester Ősz

Yeah, he, he, he. There will always be an empty tomb for Jesus. And thats the hidden and only real meaning of it: a grave will always remain empty or left (no matter who or what you put in it), because the soul has already left the dead body - and the dead body is notting. Only the soul is the life.

The empty grave is a symbol of the ethernal life itself.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  10. Speedwell

Speedwell Senior Registered

Even for ordinary people, if we are taking into account reincarnation, the empty grave applies. During the course of many lives, a person may have many graves. I've seen photographs of my own previous-life grave. It doesn't have any interest for me. The places where I lived does.

11. SeaAndSky

Hi Stewardess,

There are quite a few people who believe in reincarnation who have been or are presently on the board who are followers of Christ. This dual belief has been the case, in my opinion, through the millennia. So, you are in good company. One often comes across such types in literature, philosophy, or just day-to-day. (As you may have noted from the tables posted recently, a substantial proportion of Christians--including RC--believe in reincarnation).
    However, only a few Christians have, down through the ages, knowing the truth of both, sought to harmonize them. This requires an effort to understand the mistranslated terms of scripture and the erroneous twists and turnings (often politically motivated) in the development of Christian theology. I would welcome any thoughts you have on these matters.

Cordially,
    S&S

PS--Recently, I have been reading some of the poetry of a Poet Laureate of the United Kingdom, John Masefield, and came across his poem--"A Creed". It is a very worthwhile read and a good statement of his belief as a Christian in reincarnation.

12. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

Here's the last verse of that poem:

So shall I fight, so shall I tread,
    In this long war beneath the stars;
    So shall a glory wreathe my head,
    So shall I faint and show the scars,
    Until this case, this clogging mould,
    Be smithied all to kingly gold.

13. Stewardess Ester Ősz

S&S and tanker,

it is really a very beautiful poem - by a writer I didn't even know of. Thank you for posting.

S&S: I'm not so very academic that I can give a systematized description of my beliefs and thoughts of reincarnation as a catholic, but feel free to ask me whatever you like to, and I will answer as well as I can.

The history of belief in reincarnation within the RC church is long. Both what we call the Christian Gnosticism in the first centuries after Christ, and the later cathars, claimed reincarnation as a reality of existence. And, as we know, they were persecuted by the main stream scholars in the church.

I would say we are still persecuted in the church, by concealment and being looked upon as idiots if we start talking about reincarnation - but at least in most countries we are not imprisoned or burned to death anymore. At least the statutory freedom of religion and freedom of thought, gives us the right to belive whatever we do believe, without being killed.

So we might still be forced to silence by circumstances, but we do have a right to hold on to our own beliefs, and we are not dumb or evil or deserve punishment for what we think.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    SeaAndSky and tanker like this.
  14. SeaAndSky

Hi All,

Here is a link directly to the poem: https://allpoetry.com/poem/8495881-A-Creed-by-John-Masefield The first two stanzas:

I hold that when a person dies
    His soul returns again to earth;
    Arrayed in some new flesh-disguise
    Another mother gives him birth.
    With sturdier limbs and brighter brain
    The old soul takes the road again.

Such is my own belief and trust;
    This hand, this hand that holds the pen,
    Has many a hundred times been dust
    And turned, as dust, to dust again;
    These eyes of mine have blinked and shown
    In Thebes, in Troy, in Babylon.

Masefield is probably better known for another favorite poem--"Sea Fever"--https://allpoetry.com/Sea-Fever It is one of my favorites. Its famous first stanza:

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
    And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
    And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
    And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

Love that poem! But it starts the old sea longing up again.

Cordially,
    S&S

Stewardess Ester Ősz and tanker like this.
  15. WithHIMForever

WithHIMForever New Member

I'm a Catholic/Christian and believe likely there is reincarnation. I believe The Lord has revealed three past lives to me and in relation to some I know. I would never before have thought about reincarnation, but the past 15 yrs. much has been revealed to me in regards to that (past lives).
    RE Pope Francis, imagine if he were "Peter." There is a prophecy about the popes, and this is supposedly the last pope & related to Peter.. the original.. could be so. Him, Peter as Pope Francis... IMO that would be grand as he is one of the most genuine/kind souls.. he would make a good, "Peter" (the apostle).
    I am VERY Christian, but I do believe reincarnation could explain many, "whys," in people's lives.
    If God wrote The Book of Life, I see it as a literal book & it is written.
    Also, I see rather into a matrix as to my own connections.. again I am very Christian but it makes sense to me that there is past/present/future; God Is Omnipotent. Working through and going through The Fire, becoming as light beings.
    If The Veil is being lifted, as I think too we are in end of days now.. then likely there is more revealed this way too, seeing past the veil (past/present/future) into a higher dimension (rather than 3D).
    Love the topic of this thread!

16. Stewardess Ester Ősz

Oh, yes. Thats also so, so beautiful. And I also have within me this treamendous longing for the sea. To think about the life on the sea, gives me so many good feelings and memories, althoug I never worked on a ship in this lifetime. And I've no idea where that longing and those memories come from.

17. KenJ

I Think that we all have read stories and seen pictures of old sailng ships. I recall a Crow's Nest with a railing around it and a hole in the floor to get into it, nothing else, no idea if it came from now or then. To confound that, I can easily imagine being thrown about while gazing the horizons. An aside: I use to think that the phrase "Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass-monkey" meant something other than the actual meaning of the connon-balls coming out of the "Brass-Monkey" (indented brass plate) that held them because of thermal expansion differences which allows it to be stated in Polite Company.

18. Stewardess Ester Ősz

Americans. Brave new world. I don't think I ever lived over there, and I will never understand you. My soul is just so Europe-bound.