Cultural beliefs on HOW a child chooses a mother?????

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Deborah, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

I came across some interesting information in Joe Fisher's book titled The Case for Reincarnation published in 1984.

In it - he discusses the ROOTS OF BELIEF and how tribal peoples from all over the world had customs that directed the soul to rebirth. This fascinates me.

For example - the Northern and Central Australian Aborigines believed that the souls of the dead were waiting to be reborn and would haunt certain natural features of parched landscapes; The withered tree, or a pool of water. They believed that EVERY person is reincarnated, and their belief included souls who were just waiting for a woman to pass by so that they could enter her womb.

Spirits preferred young woman -and when these woman had no way around the landmarks they would pretend to be an old woman and cackle, hobble and dress as an old woman even stating - "I am an old woman - do not come to me."

Does anyone else have cultural stories on a soul picking or attaching itself to a mother and how?

2. sarahjane

sarahjane New Member

Hi Deborah,
    just a thought, I think a child picks a mother having insight into how both mother and child will grow and evolve because of the circumstances they share in their life. Or perhaps the mother even picks a child. I know when I wanted a daughter after having 4 sons, It was because part of me longed for this, I prayed and set my intention to have a daughter (got a book too about how to conceive a girl, timeing positions and so on) In meditation time I would see her, the cry of my heart was "if there is a soul willing to manifest as my daughter come into this world" I have a daughter now and she is a wonderful friend.

Each of my 5 have taught me something as well as me teaching them. I see it as being pre ordained for the most part, each soul knowing and choosing it's manner of manifesting for the good of all. just my thoughts. fun to share thank you!

3. Deborah

Thank you for sharing sarahjane. I enjoyed reading about how you asked for your daughter and yes - don't children teach us some wonderful things in life? :)

I am hoping there are other examples of cultural belief's that people have read about and how a child comes to or attaches itself to a mother. The whole process is fascinating.

4. Deborah

Hi everyone :)

I came across some interesting tidbits the other day. I would like to hear others thoughts about this - references, research - anything. Its is an interesting premise.

Some North American tribes had a custom that was fairly widespread: They would give a pregnant woman charms made of the hair of the dead relative whose rebirth was hoped for. The Tlingit of Alaska would at the burial of a loved one have a pregnant woman hold the hand of the corpse to her breast while wishing with all her might that her unborn child would inherit its spirit. Then she would circle the grave eight times and scape a line around seven feet from the grave. She would then urinate at the end of the line and beseech the spirit to be reborn through her.

To me this brings a whole new element to the concept of reincarnation. The western view is one of amazement - trying to find out IF their child is the reincarnation of someone specific. Sometimes sending the parent searching through records and cyberspace for clues. We all know its like looking for a needle in a haystack.

In this case - the mother and the father are actively choosing whose soul they want their child to be. What a concept! This in my mind actually empowers both the child and the parents. It isn't then just a matter of the child choosing and planning - but all parties are involved.

It amazes me when cultures, whose customs are anceint -- are so clear about intent, purpose and planning. To think that the living actually made plans and prepared for their own rebirth.

The Inuit (Eskimo) also prepare and when old age is upon them, they actively seek out and approach a young couple in the neighborhood and request that they be reborn into their family. If agreed - they would all patiently await the old ones death and rejoice in the future conception and rebirth into their family.

If you think about it - in Western society, at funerals - we mourn a persons passing say our good byes, and let go or grieve for long periods. Many thinking they will only see them again in Heaven. How does this affect rebirth? How does this affect the soul? Does it depend on the parents grief and strong desire to have them return? Many of Carol's cases suggest so. If the parent believes the child can never return to them- what affect does that have on the deceased?

5. Deborah

Thanks Mama2HRB,

They are interesting. But more important to me is the fact that we can ACT in the now for future soul connections and rebirth. It isn't a matter of waiting until we die to plan or make choices -- or even to just be drawn to what ever energy attracts us. We have a choice and a responsibility.

What are your thoughts about this? Does anyone know of cases where the parents and future soul/individual made such an effort?

6. michaldembinski

michaldembinski Senior Registered

Warsaw, Poland; 52 degrees North, 21 degrees East
    Very interesting, Deborah... As I get older and my parents get older, and their friends die off, one by one, these thoughts come to me too. The father of a friend of ours died recently; my wife asked after the cremation what I thought had become of his soul. I automatically replied that it's probably about to be reborn, and given the guy had led a good and productive life, fulfilling much of his natural potential, my guess is that his reincarnation will not be into a life as challenging as his past one (WW2, Warsaw Uprising, imprisonment, exile). But standard Christ-ian teaching precludes this possibility; my wife, my parents, all seemed unsure as to his soul's ultimate fate. My lifetime's experience of PL flashbacks gives me a certainty that he will be reborn.

Michal

7. jaxkeymom

jaxkeymom New Member

At time souls enter this realm

Hi I am new to this forum. I have two beautiful souls that I have been entrusted with in this lifetime. Two boys, 3 and 5.
    My 3 year old tells us, when we ask him how did you get so smart? His answer...It was when I climbed up that black tree, remember? He also told me he remembers being in my womb. I've asked him if he could see in there. Was there a light bulb in there? He said no, it was dark. But he could hear my voice, not daddy's. I asked about his brother he said, NO. Then I asked him what did I say? Then he made a loud muffled noise. Then laughed, that is what you would say mama.
    I study Kabbalah, and in the book God wears lipstick It teaches you how the souls are chosen, and how the souls chooses us, and we choose the souls. It is mutual. If anyone is interested I can put an excert from the book in here. It is very intersesting.

8. vicky

vicky Senior Member

Hi jaxkeymom, Welcome to the forum. I'm Jewish and am very interested in Kaballah. I'd be interested in seeing the info on a child choosing its parent/s. I read a little when i spoke to our Rabbi when my son started recalling his past lives.

How exciting about your son remembering your womb. My friend has fraternal twins and one of them says the same thing about it being dark and hearing mom's voice.
    This could get even more fascinating as your son talks more.
    Vicky

9. traveler

traveler Senior Registered

I remember being about 6 years old and asking my mom where we come from and what happens when we die. She (very fundamentalist Christian) told me that God creates us in the womb and we go back to Him after we die. I couldn't imagine having just been created as a baby because I knew I had chosen her as my mother.

I'm not sure how I "knew", but a part of me has since wondered if it is more of a coping mechanism. I've never had a good relationship with my parents, and I've never brought myself to the belief that a loving God would place me with them while making me so different. It makes more sense to me that I would rather think God had nothing to do with who I was born to, and that it was me who made that decision because I thought I could grow through the experience.

As for people who ask their loved ones to come back to them, this also could be a way of dealing with grief. Maybe it has nothing to do with what will actually happen to that soul, but it comforts the person grieving to think that it will. People develop whatever belief system helps them cope with a current trial.

10. kmatjhwy

kmatjhwy Senior Member Staff Member

Now I came across something the other day that goes along with this that I think that everyone will enjoy. This comes from the book, 'Circle Of Life, Traditional Teachings of Native American Beliefs' which am currently reading.

One thing that I know is that in many Native American Circles the talk of that one follows the 'Spirit Trail' after ones death is commonly heard. Also have heard that how many Native Americans refer to the Spirit World after death as 'The Other Side'. I have seen that the topic of Reincarnation does pop up here and there in Native America Circles. How much though do they more focus on the path of living now in this life.

Here is what something I cama cross and hope you enjoy.

" According to the Lakota medicine man Napa (Finger), the spirit (sichun) of an individual takes the spirit trail (the band of the galaxy across the night sky) to the Spirit World, and the individual's ghost (wanagi) goes among the stars - but whenever a baby is born, Skan takes one of those ghosts among the stars and gives it to the child. So when we look at a newborn life, we see in the tiny, wrinkled face something of the features of the old, wrinkled face we have loved - a soul who has returned."

11. Deborah

I too am interested in the Jewish reference to rebirth and choice. Anyone care to post thoughts or information?

I am reading a very good book now about a Rabbi's search and journey. I hope to post something in a new thread soon. In the mean time, this thread may be of interest to some.