do you believe in ghosts?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Ronon1978, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Ronon1978

Ronon1978 New Member

I wonder what your opinion is on ghosts? Do you believe it's possible that some souls remain here instead of crossing over and eventually be born again?

2. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

Welcome Ronon1978,

Could you tell us what your definition of "crossing over" is and what you mean by ghosts?

To me a "ghost" is a spirit of a person who is hanging around and doesn't know what to do or where to go. There are a lot of case studies that show souls eventually being drawn to a life.

3. Truthseeker

Truthseeker Former Moderator

What is considered a "ghost" in popular culture can come in many forms. For starters, much of what people think is paranormal can often be explained away by common sense explainations upon further investigation. Sometimes our imaginations get carried away. ;)

Often paranormal activity is the result of an impression that is left on the environment by a past event. It's not necessarily a soul present, but rather like an energy that has been trapped and keeps repeating itself in a predictable pattern. They call this a residual haunting.

In cases of poltergeists, or activity that is centered around physical objects moving around, they have found that this can actually be caused by the living. It often is caused by a living agent who is unknowingly causing telekinetic activity while highly emotional or distressed. Usually the activity stops once the individual is counciled by professional help.

Then there is cases in which seemingly conscious or interactive entities are present. These are call apparitions. There are a multitude of reasons why they are around. Some may not realize they are dead. Some do know but are attached for whatever reason and won't leave. Others still remain because they're scared or, like Deborah said, they don't know what to do. Then there are cases in which a soul may simply have information that they want to pass along to the living. The majority of the time when a soul is around it is temporary, and they move on once they no longer have a reason to stay.

I have read a couple of cases during past life regressions where the patient remember staying around as a ghost after a particular life ended. One lady stayed around for a while because her children were going to sell the family estate and she didn't want them to. She literally haunted the property to discourage would-be buyers. Eventually she was convinced to leave. Another case was a school teacher who died young. She stuck around for a few weeks to "look after" her students. However, she eventually got bored and moved on. :D

I am a life-long paranormal enthusiast. I do believe that soul can be present and interact with the living. However, I don't believe that it is quite as common as some are lead to believe, in spite of how popular "ghost hunting" has become in recent years.

4. Jody

Jody Senior Registered

Hi, Ronin!

In one of the first books on hypnotic regression, The Search for Bridey Murphy by Morey Bernstein, the hypnotic subject's previous incarnation, Bridey Murphey, recounts a time after her death when she kind of just "hung around." I believe I have a memory of watching my own funeral, and it's kind of been validated in that the church where it happened (that I'd never been to in this lifetime) exists and looks just like what I saw in my mind's eye. I imagine a lot of spirits stick around to watch their own funeral, but most of them have better things to do than haunt the earthly plane. My own feeling is that these are spirits who are being inhibited in some way ... perhaps they are afraid of going to hell, they are confused, or they feel they have unfinished business here on Earth.

5. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

Hi Ronon, and welcome to the Forum!

Although I have nothing to base my opinion on, other than what I've read and heard; I really do feel that ghosts are, for the most part, souls who either cannot come to terms with their death, or souls who feel the need to watch over those they've left behind. I agree with Truthseeker that some of what we call "ghost activity" might actually be residual energy left over from an emotional event, or the effects of some high-energy emotion from someone even still living.

I have heard and read of too many consistent accounts by credible individuals, who have witnessed spiritual encounters, that I must allow for the possibility that souls are somehow able to make their presence known. It also seems perfectly reasonable to expect that souls are likely to reside in gradually changing states of being from one life to the next simply because they need to adjust from one reality to another over various periods of time.

As for the fear that some people have regarding ghosts, I tend to feel that even the most malevolent spirits can be completely harmless to persons, who are self-confident and adequately protected. If anything, I believe that all spirits are deserving of our prayers and compassion. I don't know if one should also presume the possibility of demons or other such entities; but, it seems arrogant and foolish to ignore that they might exist, and that one should not take the necessary steps to seek spiritual protection.

6. Raptor95

Raptor95 member

Hi Ronon1978

I think that there is more out there than we will ever really know. But yes, I do believe in ghost. But I feel like others on this post that they just need to see for them selves that all is fine and move on. I guess there could also be bad spirits hanging around to. If you have a good heart, you have nothing to worry about. Like Nightrain1 said be spiritually prepared.

It is also obvious that some people have a 6 sense and can either feel spirits or some how hear/see them. Unfortunately it is not widely accepted yet. And some people ridicule those of us that do believe. But I feel those days are slipping away and more open minded people are emerging, considering all the movies and tv shows coming out every year.

I think that if it is a house that was occupied before with a lot of family activity, does not mean they are ghost, but imprints. When my son is not home, I catch myself hearing him in his room. And even calling out to him, then I laugh to myself.

But of course a house could also be haunted by a spirit that has not moved on yet.

(Example: my sister's sister in law bought our old house and even moved it to another location. And she reported that she would hear things like people moving around the house. She herself said it was like we were still there. She has known us for a long time. I am sure those noises are gone and replaced with her families imprints.)

I have a question.

How long does anybody think that a ghost actually stays on earth? Do they stay in one place or travel from place to place?

Raptor95 #G^H

7. Hannah

Hannah New Member

I think that ghosts come in all different varieties and hang around for different reasons, many of which have already been discussed. But I think that free will enters the picture more than is commonly believed or understood. Once we die, we can pass into the light - or we can hang around. I think that we can even go back and forth if we feel like it. I've read stories about ghosts - or more accurately, spirits - moving among us and we're none the wiser, and I think that's probably true.

One place that seems to have a lot of spirit activity is the Willard Library. The ghost cams show lots of spirits in the place. I often wonder if they're doing research of some kind, in preparation for being reincarnated. There's another ghost cam in Wales that is very active and they often seem to be staring directly at the camera, which leads me to believe that they're not residual in nature; they are aware of being watched.

I wonder if some spirits/ghosts who hang around and can be heard and seen are just not ready to move on, and there's no rule that says they must. I often wonder if they see an old ruined building as it was when they knew it, or if they see it as it stands now. It can't be very interesting to hang around some of these old creepy institutions that are showcased on the TV ghost hunting shows but they do seem to have multiple ghosts. I don't think I'd choose to hang around in a decaying place like that.

Traumatic death seems to be one reason why spirits hang around. My question is about the children. Why would they be hanging around? Why doesn't someone rescue them? I understand that all souls are grownups, but I have trouble getting my head around the idea that souls who believe they are still children are left in limbo like that. Where are their guardian angels, I wonder? Are they trying to get the spirits to move on but the spirits are refusing to cooperate?

8. dking777

dking777 Senior Registered

When I was around 12 (6th grade) my family moved to an isolated 2 story house in the country. It was an older type farm house. There were two bedrooms upstairs. One bedroom was where the stairs was and you had to walk through that bedroom to get to the door to the second bedroom - which was mine and my brothers. Shortly after we moved in - I would be awakened in the middle of the night by what I called 'faint people.' I called them that - because they were sort of transparent. They would fade in and out of my view. They would climb up the stairs and I could hear the creaking as they approached. I could hear what sounded like 'soft footsteps' approaching my door before they would enter the room. Then, as if to prove to me they were really there - they would start throwing things around.

The next morning - the room would be a mess with items scattered all over the place. I would watch this going on night after night and had mentioned it to my parents. They had started making sure the doors where locked but - kept telling me I was having nightmares because it was a new place. My Mom and Dad would come up and look at the mess in the room and scratch their head. It was too much for them to believe. At one point my Mom asked me if I was trying to tell that I had a 'poltergeist' in my room. When she said 'invisible spirits' - I rejected that because I looked at them as people. It was an older man and woman who wore what I called 'pioneer' clothes. The lady always wore a bonnet and the man wore what I called a 'funky hat.) Not one I had ever seen before. (There was an Amish community within the county and I said they looked Amish.) My Dad eventually took me around to meet the neighbors to see if I could identify anyone. They knew me well enough to know I was serious about 'people' being in my room at night. They would fade if my brother woke up - so the fact that I was the only one seeing them cast doubt on my story.

My parents had heard the 'creaking' sound on the stairs but thought it was one of the four kids upstairs coming downstairs to the bathroom. My parents started getting up to check and verify that the creaking was coming from the pitter patter of little human kid feet. They could never find anyone when this noise woke them up in the middle of the night. My Mom got so frightened that we came home from school one day - and every thing was packed up. She had became convinced that 'something' or 'someone' was going up and down the stairs in the middle of the night. She didn't know if it was malicious neighbers or 'spooks' in the night - but either way - she felt her children were being threatened.

Being young - I quickly buried the experience in my subconscious and never looked back on it. It was a very scary experience for me as a child. More so - because my parents couldn't explain these 'transparent people' and why they were coming into my room and tossing things around.

I started recalling childhood events recently and that memory came to mind and it 'scared the daylights out of the 'adult of me.' I couldn't believe that as a child - I had sat there calmly and kept my senses. If I woke up as an adult and saw 'transparent' people tossing things around a room - it would give me a heart attack.

It is a very old memory and I do recall telling my parents that the 'faint people' told me things while they were tossing things around. All I can recall at this time is - they didn't want us living in that house. (I told my Dad they kept saying we didn't belong there and had to leave.) I can recall my Dad stating that since I was on 'friendly terms' enough to speak to them - I was supposed to ask them questions about why, what and where. As I write this - I can't recall what I asked them or what they told me about who they were and why they were haunting that house.

I called them an older couple - but as a child - any adult was older to me. The memory I now have of them - is they were actually a younger looking couple. I would say they looked to be in their mid 30's. (I told my Dad they were not 'old old.' Just way older than me and too old to be coming into my room at night without permission.)

From my experiences - I feel it is possible for 'spirits' to hang out here in this realm. I am still exploring my memories to figure out a possible explanation of why.

DK

9. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

Being somehow insensitive and unable to experience things that "go bump in the night"; I always marveled that my wife, who was raised in the rigid fundamentalism of Free Methodism, had two very clear experiences involving ghosts. The first instance, when she was two, involved her observance of three glowing, transparent figures who were admiring her newborn baby brother as she watched protectively from her own crib across the bedroom one night. The second instance involved her memory of having been a spirit, herself, floating about the house of an early 19th Century merchant, who had been her Father in Marblehead, Massachusetts.

Although there is nothing convincing about her memories for others to trust in, I know her well enough that I am sufficiently confident that her experience was real; and quite consistent with the concept of reincarnation. Beyond that, I think that it would be quite out of our ability to determine how long some spirits choose to linger in the semi-physical world, or why the souls of children appear to be abandoned there. Like others here, I find it very distressing that such might be the case. However, it is my feeling that most ghostly activity is a direct result of the mindset of those souls, who were over-indoctrinated in life with the unfortunate materialistic dogma that dominates and entraps so much of the world today.

10. Ronon1978

Ronon1978 New Member

To me crossing over means going to that place on the other side I guess, where you relax from your previous life en prepare for the next. And a ghost would be the spirit of a person who passed away and perhaps have unfinished bussiness here or like you said doesn't know what to do next or maybe doesn't even know they're dead.

Here are some experiences I had regarding this matter.

- A few years ago my grandmother passed away. She was really fanatic about everything regarding Christmas, which we always celebrated at her house. It was the first Christmas after her death and we were all at her house: my grandfather, my parents, my aunt and uncle, my girlfriend and me. Suddenly we could here Christmas songs coming from the back of the house, the hospital bed was still there where my grandma spent her last days. We went to check it out and we found nothing, there was no radio playing and it didn't come from outside. I also had my dog with me who was very nervous the entire evening. It was very clear to me his attention was focussed on the back of the house, barking and growling the entire time. It was very hard for me to calm him down. I have always believed animals can sense things that we can't. I'm convinced my grandma was there for one last Christmas with her family.

- In my town there is a big canal that practically runs through the entire country and it's very important to the industry in my region. It was also used by the Germans during WOII to transport troops and equipment. There are still many bunkers in the fields alongside the canal. I know for a fact there is still a German soldier hanging around one of those bunkers. I have seen him myself as did many other people in my town. He's usually just standing there, watching the cars and ships pass by. Maybe he doesn't realize the war is over and that he has been killed.

- When my girlfriend was a teenager she had a wicca fase for a while, with spells ans séances and all that stuff. There's is a house in our town that was built between 1820 and 1830 and is now used as an art gallery. Many years ago my girlfriend and her friends broke into the house (teenagers right? :D ) to do a séance. They made contact with the spirit of a man who claimed he had murdered his wife. After a while the girls got scared and broke off the séance. When they were running down the stairs a pool of blood appeared on the floor at the bottom of the stairs. They continued and when they were outside the house they looked back once and there was a man standing behind the window on the first floor. The house was supposed to be empty.

11. kstornado11

kstornado11 Senior Registered

~~Easy answer...YES!!

12. Raptor95

Raptor95 member

I had no words after watching this video. I had never heard it before. It is so nicely written and played out. Thank you for posting it. I think it will touch alot of people on this forum, like I know it has for people hearing it else where.

I lost a niece in 2002 and just found out an acquaintance passed away this past week end both in car accidents. And this was so perfect for how I was feeling today.

thank you, thank you :angel:

13. Misscpb

Misscpb Registered User

Hello

I believe in spirits (what you call ghosts) and I believe that there are some who remain on earth because they are either attached to someone/something, and there are others who have made the full transition to the spirit world.

The departed loves ones etc who live on in energy form in the spirit world often come and visit to see how we are getting on in life - they come in their energy form or what some people would say appear like a ghost.

14. Florence

Florence Senior Registered

Yes I do believe in ghosts or spirits. I have told this before but will run through it again for those who were not members at that time.

The President of our Company had gone to the Vrgin Islands and had passed away there. They brought his body back and the girls at work were all going together to his viewing. It was in the evening and having no one to watch my 5 children I didn't go.

Two weeks later I was at work and looked up to see our company President walkng towards me. At that point he was quite far away and I could see through

him. I was completely mesmerized and continued to stare. He kept coming and as he approached he became more solid. Finally....he was so close I put my head down into a crate that I was packing in but I knew he was right beside me. I thought when I looked up he would be staring right at me. He was not.....he wa looking back into a corner of the building where we had our mill. Then he was gone...The whole experience last at least 1 1/2 minutes....

A few days later one of the girls at work said she had a dream that Mr. Drolet was walking around in our building. I asked what he was wearing and it matched what he wore in my vision. It was an old blue suit that shined with age

Later, a psychic told me that I saw him and the other gal saw him too but on a subconscious level and had to dream it up

It was a startling experience but actually not terribly frightening. In life, he was a very sweet man. Maybe he didn't know he was dead or maybe he just wanted to check and see if everything was continuing to run smoothly after his death...

I have had other experiences with a spirit and a number of paranormal happenings as well...so....I am definetely a believer...

15. hydrolad

hydrolad Senior Moderator Super Moderator

I readily believe in ghosts (or spirits as I call them) because when I was about six, we lived in our old family home that went back several generations, and I was walking to the Kitchen to eat one night, when I passed my Great-Grandmother's former Bedroom (at the time my Mother's Bedroom), and I glanced in and saw a glow of light in the back corner of the room (not a reflection) and in the glow stood an old lady, grey hair up in a bun, wearing a high neck dress with a large brooch at the neck.

I stood there for several minutes watching her, until she and the glow slowly faded away, and not once did I feel frightened or afraid of what I saw, and then I went to Supper, and I don't remember exactly how long it was, but I told my Mother and Grand-Mother about what I saw, and they looked at each other, and my Mother got out several of the old family photo albums and asked me to pick the lady out, and after several pages of photos I spotted her, dressed the same way as my sighting.

I seemed to have lost the "gift" during puberty, and now on occasion will possibly see a spirit out of the corner of my vision, but not head on as I used to, and to close this long post, per my Aunt, the Bedroom in which I saw the ghost was the Bedroom that she died in long ago.

Why did she make herself known to me, I'll probably never know, maybe to check on us or something, and I have had other incidents of past family members returning for a visit, any thoughts on this?

16. tltfaas

tltfaas New Member

I believe...

I have come to believe, after much study of the paranormal, that being a ghost is as much a part of our spiritual journey as being alive is. Some souls may want to learn a lesson that can best be learned by "hanging around" a while after physical death. I also believe that some people become a ghost because of a violent or unexplained death and they think they can fix it before moving on. Guides and angels are sent to help the ghost move on but they are not forced and go on to heaven when they are ready.

17. Lotus Rain

Lotus Rain Future PLR Therapist

I grew up in New Mexico and Colorado, but now I li
    I do believe in ghosts, as in the spirits of people who either cannot or are not ready to move on to their next life, whatever that may be. I have had many experiences with spirits, and I've even crossed two over. I am the co-founder of a paranormal society where I live.

Also, I was haunted by what I thought was a ghost for a long time, and I won't go into details but it turned out to be myself from a past life. I think it was just an invasive flashback. Once I realized what it was, and accepted what had happened to me in that life, I was not haunted by this "ghost" anymore. So it's confusing, but you need to know the difference between different spirits. It can be hard though.

I also believe that time does not exist to spirits who have left the body. That may be why spirits from hundreds of years ago can still haunt places and act like no time has passed, and I think it is even possible for someone's spirit to travel backwards in time to warn people of their death.

But I'm babbling :tongue:

18. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Emeritus Staff Member Super Moderator

I was just wondering what are the factors involved in seeing a ghost? Does it depend on the state of consciousness of the person seeing it? For example, two people in the same room, a ghost appears and only one can see it while the other person sees nothing. Or are the conditions completely external, for example, a ghost appears in a given location at a given time, and can be seen by everyone, regardless of who is there or how many people are there to witness it? Is it a certain state of consciousness that 'lifts a veil' to reveal the invisible activity that is occuring all around us at all times? I was just wondering why some people can see ghosts effortlessly, even people that are scared to see them, while others never see them at all, however hard they try. Is it a matter of 'tuning in' to the right frequency? Personally, I've never seen a full on disembodied spirit, and I hope that I never do encounter one. But I frequently see things moving outside my field of vision, and I think it's possible that I've had physical contact with a spirit on more than one occassion.

ps Has anyone ever been scared by the prospect of seeing a ghost, then after seeing one, realized that the experience wasn't as terrifying as they imagined it would be?

19. hydrolad

hydrolad Senior Moderator Super Moderator

Quote from ChrisR: Has anyone ever been scared by the prospect of seeing a ghost, then after seeing one, realized that the experience wasn't as terrifying as they imagined it would be?

Not exactly, I saw my first Spirit when I was 6, but I didn't feel threatened being in her presence, and also once I learned who she was, I figured she could come and visit any time she wanted to, since she had lived there before. :)

I guess it depends on the Spirit, whether it is malevolent or benevolent, if I recognize them, what they're doing at the moment and so forth.

Seeing a Spirit "head on" seems to be reserved for children and sensitive (psychic) people, while seeing them in the peripheral vision is the usual mode used by most Adults.

(LOL) They can stay if they're quiet and well behaved, but if they crank up the noise and have a party, then they are out of there quickly! ;)

20. RemainingSpirit

RemainingSpirit Remaining Spirit

I have a number of friends who are ghost hunters. It's really rare that all the people in a location see the same thing, and if they do, it's because there's a natural reason for what's going on, or the ghost moves something - most people don't see a ghost. I think seeing a ghost is something that happens inside of us, and depends on what we're open to, or just the right conditions happening for an instant. I've seen a few ghosts. But it's so hard to grasp what is happening in the second they do something, and I do mean second!

We're lucky that there is equipment now that can pick up the electro-magnetic fields and detect a presence or even be used for communication. I've been present when an emf detector has been used for communication - it's wild. You think it has to be random, but then, it keeps responding to what you are saying, in a way that isn't random at all, and makes perfect sense.

The best way I've seen to actually see something of a ghost is a thermal camera that can pick up changes in the temperature in a space. I saw one photo that clearly showed the outline of a man in an empty room. That was something.

I don't find ghost hunting scary at all. Most of it is like going fishing when the fish aren't biting, lots of waiting for one second of activity, if that. And it's not fun to go with anyone who's reved up to be scared. They jump at every little noise! ;)