Foot Binding (merged)

Discussion in 'Past Life Memories' started by Nikita, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Nikita

Nikita Senior Registered

Anyway ... just posted in the spirit community.

Last night I ask a psychic medium what the karmic debt is between me and my soon-to-be-ex-husband... Anyway, she said we had many former lifetimes together.

That there is something that should have worked out ... role playing ... each of us try to be the "stronger (emotional and physical) one ...

She said in one lifetime, when we stayed in China, he broke both my feet and kept me in our home so that I couldn't go out??? Wow.... That explain why I can't wear high heel shoes ... my feet is extremely sensitive .... The only shoes I've got, is like Nike's or Reebok's - you know, the more sporty type. I don't owe high heels or "Grand" shoes.

2. kris0503

kris0503 Senior Registered

Foot-binding

Nikita, perhaps you may have heard of ancient Chinese tradition of foot-binding.
    Above quote is from here. You can find more information on this subject here and here.

3. Nikita

Nikita Senior Registered

Feet binding

Hi everyone! Before I begin, please pardon my English. Thank you in advance!

In one of my former lives I was put (to my record "forced") into a room where my feet were bound by my husband in that lifetime (my ex-husband in this lifetime) ... I think we lived in Japan or China... In which era was feet binding popular?

Thank you,
    Nikita

4. Kelly

Kelly Administrator Emeritus

Hi there Nikita :)

I know Deborah has memories of having her feet bound, there is a thread where she shares the following memories:
    As you can see, she clearly marks the Ming Dynasty as the time when she remembers such memories, but I’m sure this practice spans quite a large period of time in Asian history. There is a website that discusses the possible start and reasons for such binding here. Hope it helps and answers some of your questions ;)

5. zetascair20086

zetascair20086 New Member

Avatar:My last life Jill Montgomery in 1982
    Hey, I just took a course on Chinese history!Foot binding began around 1000 years ago during the Song Dynasty and last up until around the early 1900's.After the revolution of 1911 it was banned or at least discouraged but people continued to do it anyway for awhile after.It was mostly done to upper class women, lower class women needed to be able to walk to work in the fields.It was estimated that in the 1000 years or so it was practised around a billion women probably had their feet bound so it shouldn't be a surprize if alot of people recall lives with bound feet.We saw a picture of it in Class, it was pretty disgusting to look at.It's possibly your husband could have bound your feet but most likely it was done at a young age more like Deborah described.The feet would be broken and wrapped when the women were just girls and it would grow deformed making it very difficult for the women to walk.Having feet bound at a young age was so one could get a husband more easily.It's possible that you didn't have bound feet before marriage and your husband resented it and tried to bind them later but that wouldn't be very effective as the feet would have already finished growing.Is it possible the man binding your feet was your father.How old were you?Do you have any more specific details.I recall a life in China where I had a wife with bound feet and I remember being disturbed by it.

6. Nikita

Nikita Senior Registered

Thanks for the reply.

I feel the person who "ordered" it was a type of father figure for me ... someone I was very scared of ... My ex-husband are very controlling in this life...emotionally and physically.

I don't think my feet was bound at a young age. What I don't understand is, why would he keep me in a room? I see a room where I was kept?? I feel we/him was very rich ... I was unhappy.

In this life I can't wear "formal" shoes, just trainers ... and I can't walk bare feet - my feet are extremely sensitive.

On a more psychologically note: I've got a problem with "love" ... Singlehandedly I made a mess of all my relationships with men. I feel I don't deserve to be loved ... I don't like or love myself, so how on earth can I love someone ??

Is this feelings from that lifetime ... Anyway, my most recent life (not finished - sudden death) was in New York and I was a physicist ... A horse-carriage accident (Hit and run) .. Don't know what year.

7. Nobutada

Nobutada Daimyo of Mito

Sounds like China. Women's feet were never, ever bound in Japan....men just found other ways of confining them.

Sigh...

Why do I feel like I was the only one who treated my wife so well?

--N.

8. AthenAltena

AthenAltena Senior Registered

Definately China. I was a concubine at some point who had that done to. A forced concubine, I might add. That was extremely painful to endure, and very inhumane.

My energy worker was the one who suggested they had been bound to me, and as it turns out she was right. She said I had "interesting feet."

9. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

Namaste Kelly *S*S*S*S*S

Thank you for posting the link to foot binding Kelly. I had not seen that before. The following passage confirmed my memories - that it was indeed my mother - who bound my feet. It also confirmed the age I thought I was. ;)

10. Kelly

Kelly Administrator Emeritus

Only too glad to have helped ;)

11. sunnyluv

sunnyluv Senior Registered

what a horrible custom--though of course it was looked at differently at the time;
    Does it mean that people were more pain tolerant in the past?
    Thanks for the webiste and the topic--the whole new page for me!

12. AthenAltena

Partly it was people were more pain tolerant... it was also just a fact of life. I myself went through it, and can honestly say it's completely inhumane. I remember being told as a kid, "It's to make you look more beautiful," but it was really to keep me from running off.

13. sunnyluv

AthenAltena, thanks for your reply;
    I agree, it was the way of life--in no way I meant to judge how people lived in China back than--I just meant to express the sympathy with those women who suffered--I could not imagine that this kind of pain could be tolerated --when I read about feet binding, it was the whole discovery for me; Physically, it was purposeful maiming and to walk on bound feet sounds like a horrific torture;
    But I think this is a fascinating period--I just got into reading about it; By the way--it is interesting how in different cultures women had different criteria’s to be socially acceptable and dependent on the more powerfuls--I just read about some tribe "giraffe women" where women considered to be beautiful if they have extremely long necks--achieved by wearing multiple brass coils around their necks and as a result--stretching the necks to the extent that they are not able to support their heads on their own without those coils; Result also includes suppressing rib cage and bone deformities;
    In China--was feet binding (I read also about many aspects of it--sexual, and social);
    In Victorian era--rib crushing corsets;
    Now--tattoos, piercing, implants, other procedures--but now adults have the choice where as in China it was imposed on kids--
    I will post some excerpts from the essays on the topic;

By the way--I read conflicting accounts--some people say that it is practically not possible to walk after that; so the women stayed mainly in the house; Others tell that they knew women who were walking and working around the house, and later outside the house--like fields, factories etc; I wonder if anybody could clarify that for me;
    Thanks;

14. Deborah

FYI

IN the link Kelly posted above - there is another link that states -

It also states that by the time a girl was three - her arch was already broken. :(

15. sunnyluv

Deborah--do you remember more from this period? Did you get married, was it possible to be married and be a house servant/ governess to the family? Could you walk and do other work around the house when you were a governess?
    I liked the aspect of your memories when you described your mother looking on with pride at you, I think it was very special moment--anticipating the new and possibly better future for her daughter, anticipating "coming of age" by binding your feet--it is really the one human side of that procedure;
    Nikita--I read that for more poor families the time for binding feet could have come later on in girl's life--she was an extra pair of hands to help in the field and around the house, and sometimes family could not afford to bind her feet as they would loose the house help--so they would do this later on;
    May be the man who married you decided to bind your feet if your family did not do it? (Just suggestion)--may be he even wanted to keep you in the room until your feet are "proper" so everyone will think that he married a women with "bound feet"?
    It seems that it was very strict back then; Do you recall your family? If you have any more memories, it would be interesting to hear them,
    Thanks!
    :confused:

16. sunnyluv

Ouch!!! Thanks, Deborah--sorry, did not see your post on walking with bound feet before I posted another reply;
    If you or people who reading this thread have more memories on the topic, I appreciate your postings; Will do more research on the period;
    Many thanks, and Happy New Year, everyone!
    :)

17. sunnyluv

Does anybody know???

Does anybody know--from what I read, the binding process lasted for years--but did it continued for life? And did the odor stopped at some point as well?

Here is the passage from online source I found:
    "The girl's mother, who oversees the breaking and binding, forces the child to walk on the shattered toes. If she does not, the feet will become flat and misshapen. Eventually the blood stops circulating, the nerve endings die, and the pain ebbs. The skin sloughs off, and the toes deliquesce into the sole of the foot. Removing the bandage late in the process, the girl will no longer believe they were ever part of a living human body. They begin to smell of death, as well. The girl's mother advises her to keep the raw sores covered in perfumed powder to conceal the stink of rotting flesh. She must drain the pus daily. The change is irreversible. If the feet are ever released, they will grow to grotesque proportions, like weeds in an untended garden. In the end, when the breaking is complete, the girl will regard the feet as something distinct and distant from herself. She, like her mother, will dream of perfect three-inch lotus flowers."

Source:http://www.citypages.com/databank/21/1038/article9086.asp

18. AthenAltena

*Shudder* That sounds too familiar. Sometimes I still feel like my feet aren't part of me, as my energy worker pointed out.

19. sunnyluv

It just occurred to me that there is somewhere a connection between old customs such as this one and today's modern perceptions:
    i just thought of another thread discussing love and addictions/ abuse and pain and I thought that the link between love and pain can go as far back as this period in China (only one example) and I am sure there are some others of different cultures;
    If the child has her own mother inflict pain on her; her mother vewing it as the act of love for her child, than the child probably later makes connection between love and pain, it is just a thought; just trying to connect the ends;

Another parallel here is pain and beauty--the perception that beauty could be achived through pain;

I heard a few Chinese sayings probably from that period: that the mother has to choose between her love for her daughter and her love for her daughter feet;
    Another one is "every pair of small feet cost a tub of tears"

Just a thought about possible roots of that perception;

20. Deborah

I am interested to see if anyone here remembers feet binding in China during the Ming dynasty or other time periods. If so - please share.

nikita said -
    Nikita - that is a actually a practice that many Chinese men in the fields do -even today. They take woman from small villages and break the tendons in their legs or break their feet so the woman cannot leave. :( It's a bad situation.

I know this is an old thread - and I am sorry I missed is a few years ago. But it is something that isn't talked about a lot here; I thought perhaps someone may have thoughts, experiences, or input.

21. kris0503

kris0503 Senior Registered

22. Fab

Fab Senior Registered

23. Deborah

I went to a healer in 2002 who massaged my feet during an hour session; which triggered memories. Images if China during the Ming Dynasty resurfaced and although I have had several experiences of living there once - never before had I relived the actual process of foot binding. Usually, I remember my adult life as a governess. This time I went to when I was a small child, young - maybe three for four years old. My mother was with me, and they were binding my feet.

She was so happy for me, and so proud. I was excited. Then came the pain..the aching. I remember placing my feet into the snow drifts - which took some of the pain away - before going to bed. Binding is not a good thing. The memories of my mother were of a very sweet woman, who only wanted the best for me. She wore beautiful silk garments, small built, and very gentle.

The gardens were beautiful, the plants were delicate - just like my mother.

24. Wulfie

Wulfie Dreamer

Well! I don't even know why I stopped to read this thread other than I was interested in the Mother posts. But I may have found a few answers about my feet. Bonus!

I was born with Hammered Toes and deformed arches and I have, several times, broken both feet and toes in this life. (Don't worry, I walk fine.) I also have very little feet, size 5. Which means I get most of my footware in the children's department, boy's size 2 or 3, and that's cheaper than adult shoes. lol

I absolutely refused to walk until I was three. It wasn't that I couldn't. It was simply that the second anyone put anything on my feet I'd sit down and refuse to budge. My father finally gave orders for me to be allowed to walk barefoot and after that the problem ceased. To this day I prefer barefoot but will wear sandles or very loose footware. High Heels? HA! I'd break my neck.

I've always wondered if it was a past life carry over and, since I do remember a chinese life or two, I guess I should do the work on those and remember a little more about them, eh?

Thanks everyone!
    Wulfie

25. crystal_44

crystal_44 Crystal

I'm glad this thread was posted. It reminded of when I first heard of foot binding as a child. I believe my mother and grandmother had seen a program on the subject, and I overheard them discussing it. My first thought was "How beautiful!" and "Why don't they still do that?" Part of me wished my feet could be bound so they would remain small forever. At the time I thought nothing of it, but when I read this thread today I did some research on foot binding. I am appalled that I would have ever thought so highly of such a terrible practice. Although I have no memories of China, it makes me wonder if that mentality is a carry-over from the past.