Homesick

Discussion in 'Past Life Memories' started by Born2Fly, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Born2Fly

Born2Fly New Member

Since I was about 8 years old, I've felt a very strong connection to Ireland. I first learned about the country in geography class and from the moment, I saw pictures of the rolling green hills in my text book.. I felt this sense of homesickness. Of course, at the time, being so young.. I didn't think about it. But, as I got older that feeling just increased when I'd see pictures of Ireland or hear Irish music. I started looking for more information on the country. I studied maps to remember where certain cities were located there, all the while still feeling as if I had been there before.

That longing seems to have gotten stronger as I've gotten older. I'm 26 now and seeing pictures of the Irish landscape (especially the Cliffs of Moher) still makes me feel homesick. At times, it brings me to tears to talk about it. It seems to affect me more in the spring time, for some reason. The best way I can explain it is when you look back at pictures taken of a favorite vacation spot, it fills you with happiness to think back of how much you enjoyed being there, but it gives you a sense of sadness to think you're not at that spot at that moment. That's how I feel about Ireland. I feel like it's been so long since I've set foot there, when actually.. I've never been outside of the US.

I literally ache to travel to Ireland. I've set a goal to get there before I'm 30. I really feel, in my heart, that when I do get there.. I'll find something that will explain why I feel this way about a country I've never been to. I've done research and learned that my maternal grandmother's maiden name was Irish. So, maybe there's some kind of link there.

I'm interested in learning more about previous lives. Although, I don't have any specific memories, I do feel as if I've been to Ireland before sometime. I do have this dreamlike image that makes its way into my mind quite frequently (at least a few times a month.) I am convinced that this happens in that stage where you're just drifting off to sleep. I feel as if I'm still slightly awake, but my eyes will be closed and I'll see this image as if I'm dreaming. It's always the same. I see this small winding road running across hills and yellow flowers on both sides of it. I see myself walking down it towards a huge tree and then the image disappears (or I fall asleep, I guess.) I think I'm still awake when it happens, because I always think to myself of how that's pretty strange to feel as if I'm dreaming, when I'm not yet asleep.

I also have a recurring dream of this large blue plantation-looking house that's surrounded by 4 roads. The house is empty and I always find myself roaming around it and feeling like I've lived there before. I have this dream a few times a month.

I don't know what this all means or if it has any connection to how I feel about Ireland. But, thinking of how often I dream this.. it makes me wonder.

2. Caillean

Caillean Senior Registered

Hello Born2Fly... seems we share the same feelings about Ireland. I have had too that sense of homesickness from looking at pictures or documentarys on TV. Most of my music is celtic. Especially the melancholic songs (sung in gaelic) give me goosebumps and resonate differently inside of me.

I know of one very happy past life in Ireland, but I suspect that I have been multiple times there.

All my best wishes to you.. maybe we will stand one day again on the cliffs and watch the sea :)

3. Sunniva

Sunniva Administrator Emeritus

Hello Born2fly and welcome!

I can certainly relate to your feelings as well :) When I was a teenager my world revolved around Ireland, everything about it gave me goosebumps. I got the chance to go there for three weeks when I was 15 and that was one of the best things I've ever done. The feelings toward Ireland has faded a bit now, but I'm still sure that I've had past lives there in Celtic times. It just feels like home :)

I really hope you get a chance to go to the Cliffs of Moher :)

4. Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey New Member

Well, I know exactly what you mean about being homesick for a place you have never been. My experience is the same, but slightly different...?!? Before I went to the Scottish Highlands, I would yearn to be there whenever I heard the music on the TV advert for 'Visit Scotland'. I just felt like my heart was breaking, and like I wanted to cry, every time I heard the music. :( Even now I've been, I still have this yearning to go back...made worse when I hear the music... According to a psychic, I had a past life as a Scottish fisherman...who had a nagging wife and 7 children!!! Having no children, in this life (and no desire to have children), I am unsure whether this particular past life could possibly have me yearning to go back!!! Ha ha! :laugh: I really hope that you get your wish to travel to Ireland.

5. dreamer8682

dreamer8682 New Member

I've always been that way with France since I was about 13 or 14, I'd read a few books/seen a few movies that were set in France through the medieval times to the late 1700s/early 1800s and had read that a play or two I liked were originally written in French.

Whenever I see a special on Nostradamus I feel like I've walked those very streets. I've taken up learning the langauge. Other langauges I'm fascinated by are Japanese, Icelandic, Danish and Thia. Even though I don't understand Thia I can recognize the accent right off and pronounce a few words. Whenever I see the insides of a French chapel or church I just fall in love with the decor. Even when I was a young kid I loved anything set in medieval England or similar places. I always knew what they'd bump into when they'd have to come up with a plan to get into a castle and had a rough idea of the layout.

6. Jamieevans

Jamieevans New Member

Yeah, I always longed to go to Scotland or the Western Front Battlefields, (particularly the former) and always feel homesick when I'm not at either (strangely, if I'm at one, I don't miss the other so much!) - I've been like this since I was small and hadn't been to those places : )

7. W.A. HEART

W.A. HEART Senior Registered

Homesick

Hello everyone

First of all I'd like to say that it feels good to be here.... although I'm holding my breath a bit - I've been in doubt for so long that I'm still in awe of the possibility of finding guidance and.. well, closure, in a way.

Ok. Since a very early age (I must have been 4 or so), I've had a strong - very strong - need to learn other languages. As I grew up, I began to feel more comfortable with english than I do with my native language. I never had any specific education or training in this area, it's just there, like something that has always been a part of me. By the time I was nine I read my first Somerset Maugham novel.

I remember british people asking me "where did you learn to speak like that???!!" :eek: with strong suspicion in their eyes and voice.

Anyway, I grew up, graduated, got married, and have two wonderful baby boys. I'm a blessed woman, and I delight in all the love and beauty and good luck that I have in my life.

Except for the ever underlying restlessness I've always felt, to the point of anguish sometimes, that I dont belong here... this is not my home.

I have vivid memories of other places, other moments in life, smells, sounds, a kind of quality of light that belongs to other places ( I hope you understand what I mean... :eek: )....

The strongest attraction to northern landscapes, skies that are less than sunny, rocky seascapes... these are common elements in my recollections.

The thing is, why do I feel this terrible longing, as if I've been untimely taken away from "home"..???

This is only the beginning.

But I'll be glad if you care to share your thoughts with me on all this.

Have I come to the right place? :eek:

8. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

Dear Homesick,

Yes, you certainly came to the right place. WELCOME!

Wow, reading your post made me think of my own experiences several years ago. I too had this nagging sense of another place and time and definitely an unexplained sadness. For me reincarnation was the answer. It took me sometime to really accept this, as I too thought it was a little "outta the ordinary" for this Midwest Catholic boy.

What I found here wasn't so much "closure"...but a vast opening. An opening, and an understanding, of one of the most ancient truths to our existence. You'll find hours and hours of reading here...hope ya got time:thumbsup:!!

I'm glad you found us and hope we can answer any questions you may have. You'll find this is a very safe and well moderated environment for your exploration.

Again..Welcome!!

Tinkerman

9. Yellow Roses

Yellow Roses New Member

Longing for England

England. I've longed for England as long as I can remember. Five years ago I got a chance to visit briefly and was overcome when I stepped off the plane, broke down in tears and kissed the ground.

10. indigobutterfly

indigobutterfly New Member

I know what you mean!! For me, it's England. I used to even use the English accent as a kid. Someday I'll make it back. ;)

11. Kindred

Kindred New Member

I want to go home...

Hello everyone! I'm new here, and I'd first like to thank the wonderful administrators who manually processed my registration for me. Thank you so much for your kindness! Here's my situation...I am 32 years old, and all of my life I have felt that I've been here before. And not just once, but many times. Unfortunately, my family wasn't the type to write anything that I may have said as a small child, so I don't know if I ever shared any past life experiences with them or not. Even if I did, they would have ignored it or brushed it off as my imagination. I do vividly remember my 12th birthday and me telling my mom that I feel so much older than 12, that I didn't feel like a child. But what has been happening during my adult years, I guess for the past 10 years or so, is that I feel this longing to go home, but I don't know where home is. I do know for a fact that it's not the "home" where I grew up as a child. I have no desire to go back there. I have lived in several different states, but no matter where I live I always have this feeling of wanting to go home. Most nights when I go to bed, my last thoughts are "I want to go home, please let me go home." Also, I have always felt like I'm not supposed to be here, in this body, in this lifetime. Like it's a mistake. But then I've read that we all choose whether or not to come back, so I don't know what to think. I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions on my situation. Thanks for your listening.

12. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

Hi Kindred and welcome. I'm glad we could help you through the quagmire!! I'm sorry it was so drawn out.

Regarding your longing to go home...I have just the opposite story to tell you. I feel like I am there. I've written in other places on the forum that I feel such a kinship to this place that I marvel at it everyday. I feel safe, secure and a bit territorial of this region. I know that it comes from several lives. First as an indigenous American whose tribe hunted this valley over the centuries. I was also an early settler, my great grandfather, in the 1870s. I'm sure that life was just a continuation of the many times I've been here. I was driving home late one afternoon when I came to the top of a hill over looking our small valley. I was so mesmerized by it I stopped right smack in the middle of the road and acknowledged the feeling. And it was one of "knowing," of certainty, of familiarity...I just knew it was home.

I think if you know that place is out there, you'll recognize it when you see it. I believe there are some similar threads to this somewhere, I'll see if I can find them.

Again welcome!!

TinkerMan

13. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

Welcome to the forum Kindred,

I do understand your feelings ;) I think many people on the board can relate to missing a specific place they feel - is home.

I am curious - if you feel drawn towards any specific country or culture? Is there anywhere you’ve always wanted to go? A certain language or type of music that stands out to you? Often our current attractions and interests can give us a hint about where we have been.

I don’t believe it’s a mistake. I think there are many things we don’t understand while incarnate. I personally don’t believe that we pre-plan our lifetimes or that we are given a choice about returning, but rather we are drawn to specific lives by our thoughts, feelings and emotions - they are, powerful creators. ;)

Looking forward to reading more of your thoughts,

Aili

14. Kindred

Kindred New Member

Hi Tinkerman. Thanks for sharing your storing with me. I hope to one day have that same feeling of knowing I'm home.

Hi Ailish. I have never really felt drawn to any particular place or culture. That's part of what makes this so strange to me. I have this incredible longing, but I don't know what I'm longing for (I know, I sound crazy:) I don't know where I'm supposed to be, but my current life just does not feel right to me. It never has.

It's interesting that you say we are drawn to specific lives. This life has been a hard one for me. It was a particularly difficult childhood. I have to try to determine what kind of lesson I'm supposed to be learning from it all.

15. alaskanlaughter

alaskanlaughter Senior Registered

Hi Kindred and welcome! I think you are on the right track of self-discovery and understanding. I don't know what to say to help it be better, because I think that answer lies within you. I would recommend meditation, even on just this life and what its lessons may be. Pay attention to dreams. Symbolism may offer clues for you. Guided regression CDs may also help get in touch with past lives or life-between-lives, which may also help. Good luck on your journey and feel free to share!

16. W.A. HEART

W.A. HEART Senior Registered

Hi Kindred!

You are at the right place, and I know you'll find help in here - friends to guide you in your journey and hopefully find your way back home.

I agree with Ailish, it's no mistake - this life will bring you good things and important lessons, even if things are not very clear for now - things aren't always clear.... I'm fortunate to feel that I know where home is. But it hasn't always been like that.

A favourite spirit guide of mine has said that God does not inspire desires that are unattainable - whatever "God" may be for you, I'm sure your longings will bring you home.

Love and Light!

17. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum, Kindred. :)

I hope you'll find your home. You can find it in some physical place, with a person or in some personal truth. :thumbsup:

I don't believe we get to choose whether to be re-born or not. I think it's a must, and however difficult your life is to you now, you will be going back cherishing the many experiences you got and lessons you learned while you were here. :)

I believe you have the power to change your current life to more of your liking. Just set clear goals - and go for them.

Good luck!

Karoliina

18. Lizzi

Lizzi Member

homesickness

The same sensation comes to me when I see places in England and Germany. The point is that I love cold places! I can't cope with heat...I really miss winter when is summer. ANd the funniest thing is Iwas born in southAmerica and I'm actually living in Australia!!

But I know one day I'll visit my beloved England.

Lizzi

19. tltfaas

tltfaas New Member

I've Had That Yearning Too

I've had a fascination with Scotland all my life and yearn to return to a place I've never been... in this life. I now realize this yearning has to do with a significant, very significant past life I am meant to write about and I'm going to Scotland next year for the first time on a tour that I dreamt about three years ago... I've loved Scotland so much that I even ended up with a man who was born and raised there!

Bonnie

20. Ginger_Mandrake

Ginger_Mandrake Ever Confused

::is homesick almost all of the time:: :thumbsup:

Hey, for those of you who have felt this homesickness for a particular place and have been able to visit the country/region in which you feel homesick for, does this help to alleviate the homesickness?