• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Illnesses "chosen" because of past lives

Ceridwen

Senior Registered
We are all familiar with illnesses directly caused by past lives - a physical injury in one life carrying through and causing a physical illness in the same place in another life.

What I am wondering about though is re whether illness might be "chosen" because of a past life iyswim.

We read a lot about autism these days and I wonder whether, at some level, the person with it might have "chosen" to not have the "normal" range of emotional responses because of having been emotionally traumatised in a previous life??

During the 20th Century there has been one heck of a lot of Evil at large in the world - Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao Tse Tung, the two World Wars, etc, etc and thousands of millions of people killed as a result of this.

With so much Evil at Large in that century on the one hand and this being the first century (to our knowledge) of Mass Media - ie those of us who havent directly been involved in all this are likely to be very much more aware than people in previous centuries were of the suffering endured by the people involved in this - then my thoughts are that many 20th century people (now dead or murdered) will be alive again now.

Some of those people have been so traumatised by what they have endured or witnessed in the 20th Century that I wonder whether they have decided/agreed to "return for another life" ONLY provided they don't have those "normal" set of emotional responses - ie so that they can't be traumatised again by "man's inhumanity to man". Maybe they made a decision prior to birth to "switch off" that part of the emotional "centre" that they could have another life on Earth without being at risk of being traumatised by it??

Emotions are certainly a pretty inconvenient thing to have at times/often and Earth is a VERY harsh/"primitive" place to live on still - so I wouldn't blame anyone for making that choice (if this is what happened). Hence - I wonder whether at least some autistic people are "shell-shocked" incomers from a recent previous life on Earth and this is how they have attempted to protect themselves from the more "primitive" type of people still incarnating on Earth to such an extent (ie they've realised they can't protect themselves from physical or financial damage from other people - but have attempted to protect themselves from emotional hurt by them?)

I was wondering the other day if an illness I have had for the past 4 years is because of the way I lived my life in several past lives.

I think things that carry over can be caused by a variety of reasons, including guilt or even just sheer familiarity. I have mild asthma, which is aggravated mainly irritated sinuses. I've seen photos of my former shelf holding handkerchiefs and I've always wondered if she had the same problem.

It opens up a larger question too, how can physical traits and ailments carry over? What's the mechanism of transfer?

Cariad said:
What I am wondering about though is re whether illness might be "chosen" because of a past life iyswim.
In some instances, perhaps, since anything is possible. In general, I tend to think that illnesses and disabilities are based in *this* life, and not in the past.

I don't subscribe to the 'we bring it on ourselves based on the past actions' viewpoint for illnesses or experiences, I think most of our illness, disabilities, issues are from this lifetime.

Sure, I am sure there are people with lingering traumas that carry over, but I tend to believe they are the exception, not the norm.

KnickKnack said:
In some instances, perhaps, since anything is possible. In general, I tend to think that illnesses and disabilities are based in *this* life, and not in the past.
I don't subscribe to the 'we bring it on ourselves based on the past actions' viewpoint for illnesses or experiences, I think most of our illness, disabilities, issues are from this lifetime.

Sure, I am sure there are people with lingering traumas that carry over, but I tend to believe they are the exception, not the norm.
I agree.

Totoro said:
I think more to the point, we just don't know what causes autism yet, along with a number of other mental ailments. Technically, though, autism, Alzheimer's etc are technically syndromes, that is a collection of visible and related symptoms in which the root cause isn't understood.
Due to certain sensitivities on this forum, I'll drop autism (which I only used as an example because the OP did) and go with something else. Often chemicals that a baby is exposed to in the womb during pregnancy can result in some sort of illness, this is particularly the case if the mother has some sort of endocrine disorder herself because the mothers body can create antibodies that stimulate the babies endocrine gland to create the same disorder as the mother, this is how Grave's disease can be inherited as a congenital birth defect. I had this congenital birth defect and the mechanism was explained to me in a psychic reading.

However disorders and illnesses can be inherited by other means other than by chemicals or genetics. In my own understanding many disorders which exist from birth are the result of being exposed to the wrong energies from the mother and father. By energies I mean subtle energy, the invisible mist that floats in the aura/energy body. I was born with a disorder called functional disconnect syndrome, which means the two hemispheres of the brain do not communicate with each other, so when the left side of the body does something the right shuts down and vice verca, making putting on clothes and catching a ball quite difficult. This took years of therapy to fix. Years later I find out that this is allegedly caused by a considerable disconnect between mother and father, and that if they aren't really getting on or communicating, the two hemispheres of the child's brain won't be communicating either. My parents did not get along with each other before I was even born, so to me, it all makes sense when seen in the broader context of my life and family situation.

I assume many other disabilities and illnesses come about in the same way, and that different circumstances will create different types of disorders. Because medical science does not look at things like the relationship of the parents, whether the mother was abandoned by the father etc they go unnoticed and unstudied, which is why the causes of so many illnesses and disorders have never been pinpointed.

I think a lot of that is largely due to erroneous and arrogant post war thinking. Its funny how dairy farmers can be advised to be nice to their cows because the produce better and more milk, but we don't extend the same thinking to human beings.

Whoops you snuck in there Deborah! Good point too!

Just to say "apologies to anyone who dislikes the use of the word 'illness' in this context and I would appreciate knowing what is the preferred term for such things as this now".

That's a genuine comment folks - as I'm ...ahem...not a youngster...ahem ...in age and sometimes use a word that is deemed unacceptable these days for one reason or another and like to know what other term is deemed appropriate at present for the topic etc concerned.

Sixty years of having to learn, re-learn etc one language and one can't necessarily "keep up" with everything that has happened to that language since one was born this time round:eek:

I would just like to remind everyone that we all have different opinions when discussing subjects such as this. None of us here know the true answer to these questions until we're on the other side. I hope that we can all agree or disagree in a friendly manner and respect each others views.

My favorite way to think about the why's of life....

"A dying person's emotional and mental state will influence and, to some degree, control, his afterlife and rebirth pattern. Thought includes not only the heart which can be profoundly opened due to imperfections and suffering, but includes our entire state of consciousness.” ( A Journey With Elsa Cloud, by Leila Hadley)
I really like the work of Candace B. Pert, Ph.D. who is a Research Professor in the Department of Physiology and Biophysics at Georgetown University Medical Center in Washington D.C. Her research regarding neuropeptides, which are chemical substances made and released by brain cells, and other cells suggests that in the body network, these information receptors serve as a form of communication for the entire body. In her book Molecules of Emotions she speaks in depth about her research, her journey and scientific methods, as well as her conclusions.

here is a very interesting interview with Martin Brofman who created the Body Mirror System of Healing after healing himself of terminal cancer in the 70's. It is similar to Candace Pert but less scientific and more spiritual. I agree with a lot of what he says, but not everything. There are a lot of interesting ideas in this interview and perhaps a few new concepts for some people. Hopefully there you will find some food of thought here, and for discussion too.

Green26 said:
here is a very interesting interview with Martin Brofman who created the Body Mirror System of Healing after healing himself of terminal cancer in the 70's.
Thank you for the very interesting interview. I noticed that Martin Brofman briefly made references to reincarnation, in that we possibly choose our parents and that karma plays a part in our choices which often lead to the ways in which our physical condition presents, whether illness is involved or not. While his experience of beating cancer is further evidence that one's way of thinking in this life can be more powerful than modern medical science, he takes the extra step of believing that one's way of thinking may have its roots in previous lives. As he says, instead of just changing his food diet he also had to change his thought diet.

There are countless scientific examples of physical conditions, which were changed merely by working with the mind. Research involving placebos, spontaneous remissions, and spontaneous wounds are but a few features that suggest how the power of one's thinking can cure as well as cause disease within the scope of our present lifetime; and the very compelling research regarding Birthmarks and Birth Defects by Ian Stevenson is strongly suggestive that the power of our thinking may actually span more than one lifetime.

I noticed that Martin Brofman briefly made references to reincarnation, in that we possibly choose our parents and that karma plays a part in our choices which often lead to the ways in which our physical condition presents, whether illness is involved or not.
You will notice he has a very different view on karma than most people do if you read his articles or his books. I felt that what he was saying about karma was not exactly how the two women in the interview understood it. He has his own definition of karma, which includes setting things in motion and moving towards your goals-this is a reference to pre-life planning with the example of the samurai in 17th century Japan.

The woman then asked him if we bring karma in with us from previous lives, to which he replied yes, in the sense that if you don't experience what you wanted to experience in the last life, you may try and find another life that will allow you to experience it this time. And since pre-life planning and setting things in motion is part of his own definition of karma, he agreed that we often come into this world with "karma".

However that does not mean we come into this world to "work off karma" or that any type of illness or misfortune is from a past life. Basically what he is saying is we come into this world because we want to experience something, if we don't get to experience it we may try to experience the same thing in the next life. The main variables in life are our actions and our perceptions, and when they move too far away from what we came to experience or become to far out of balance it may result in some sort of physical symptom, or in extreme cases in an illness that may result in death because you are unable or unwilling to experience what you wanted to experience in life. So his view is quite different from Michael Newton etc.

Anita Moorjani said something similar after her NDE, she said "I wasn't being the person I came into this world to be, and that's why I got cancer".

Martin Brofman has written an interesting article on his own version of Karma:

http://www.healer.ch/articlekarma.html

Thus, what we know as karma is made up of three elements:
1. Moving us to the completion of our goals.

2. Returning to us the effects of our actions.

3. Adjusting our perceptions toward those of equality.
Since we each create and live our own karma, the idea that we can somehow “take on” the karma of another in any way demonstrates a misunderstanding of the nature of karmic mechanics.
Some healers claim that certain symptoms cannot be healed because they are karmic. These healers are simply at the effects of their own limiting ideas, and exporting their limitations in the form of some cosmic mystery. We believe that anything can be healed. The capacity to achieve this lies within each one of us.

From our point of view, all symptoms are karmic in that they are the effect of what people are doing in their own consciousness. This does not mean that they cannot be healed. If it was our karma to be ill, it can also be our karma to be healed, as was the case with me. If understanding is the purpose of karma, then that is in accord with our description of the relationship between the body and the consciousness.

When we develop a symptom, the symptom exists to give a message to us about some way of being that has been out of balance for us. We do to ourselves literally what we have been doing figuratively.

When we understand the message that our body has been giving and make the necessary adjustments in our way of being, the symptom has no further reason for existing and can be released. It is for this reason, remember, that it is important for us as healers to communicate the inner cause of the outer symptom, as an integral part of the healing.

Back