• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Is it true that more evolved souls have harder lives?

Obie

Senior Registered
I want to know if thats true? I dont want to keep getting tougher and tougher lives. Should I just be a bad person b/c next life I want things to be easier? I'm tired of doing good things life inlife and this is the reward I get. My life has been very difficult. I dont care that I'm closer to reaching Nirvana. In fact I'm not even concerned about learning as much as I just want a fun easy life.

I want a fun, easy life, too, Obie. I wish we could order two, in the right size, and a nice color. :) I think evolved souls look at their lives from a different perspective than we do. In Michael Newton's book, "Journey of Souls", he talks about evolved souls sometimes living lives withdrawn from urban life, and very quiet existences. I do think that some advanced souls come back with great challenges, so they can teach us. Like you, I am not ready! I recently went through a period of rebellion against my "Guidance". I actually yelled at them, "Okay, you guys, enough! Ease up a little!". I have "talking dreams", where I hear messages from them. They told me that I needed to stop being angry that my life wasn't turning out the way that I wanted, because I planned it. The more I resist, the more difficult it becomes. They said the rest of it wouldn't be easy, but it wouldn't be terrible, either. When I woke up, I was disappointed. I wanted to be told the rest of it would be a fairy tale. During the course of the day, I realized that my life will be what I make it, and doors began to open. Everything got easier. I know when a person is suffering, truisms don't really help. I like what Sylvia Browne said about "desert periods". We all have them. Sometimes, relief is right around the corner, but because we are born with "amnesia" about our life plans, we don't know that. I hope yours ends soon.

No I think evolved souls have much easier lives because they've already figured out what doesn't work and how to overcome obstacles, and the last life is just being joyful that they survived so much, and even if they have challenges they will know how to handle them because they already learned how, but I feel the more challenges you've overcome the less you have. I think a lot of us have a lot of challenges because we're in the middle of our evolutionary process. However, all things come to pass with inspiration and action. Also, evolved souls are challenged with the joyful act of teaching others what they already know.

I think most people are not as bright as me

because I think outside of box.

Then I think if was evolved why

did choose life of pain and torment .

Old soul yes evolved just a little.

While I have lot to teach, opened minded

person or persons very few would listen

though.

No I think evolved souls have much easier lives because they've already figured out what doesn't work and how to overcome obstacles, and the last life is just being joyful that they survived so much, and even if they have challenges they will know how to handle them because they already learned how, but I feel the more challenges you've overcome the less you have. I think a lot of us have a lot of challenges because we're in the middle of our evolutionary process. However, all things come to pass with inspiration and action. Also, evolved souls are challenged with the joyful act of teaching others what they already know.
I'm in accordance with this. I believe more evolved souls learn to let go of many of the annoyances and trials that lesser evolved mortals get so hung up on. One would 'stand outside' the problems and let them flow over and off oneself. There's a knack to it that's not actually that hard to learn, but I think also that we may have an addiction to 'drama' and it may be we create it, either intentionally or accidently, and either when we're planning our lives, or just by getting caught up in egotistical pursuits when we're messing about down here.

I've often thought perhaps the challenge of life is to learn to find the joy no matter what pain you are going through. I haven't learned it yet. I got the thought during my PLR with the hypnotherapist that during the life I regressed to my purpose was to learn to love, but this life I find that the more I love, the more pain I have. It's not because of not being loved in return, it's seeing the ones I love suffer and hurt and I can't help them. I too wish I could order a nice easy fun life for the next go-round.

I think if you've lived a number of times and those lives have been particularly difficult, you tend to develop an 'outside the box' way of thinking. A wisdom that can't be learned in this life. This is something I think about often. I feel I've lived many times and that most of those lives were tough - including this one, though I feel this one is easier than some of the ones I've had. I think I'm positive by default, whether I want to be or not - and I believe that having difficult lives is ultimately more beneficial in the grand scheme of things than having easy lives.

While I understand how disheartening it can be having a difficult life, I don't think for one moment you should 'go' bad. In fact, that would be the worst possible course of action. I also don't believe in doing good things with the expectation to receive something back. Good acts are supposed to be done just for the fact that they are good and someone is benefiting from them, not in order to get something in return.

I came to the conclusion that having an easy life would be great and all, but I wouldn't have the necessary tools I need in order to try and make a real difference. Because you can only attain certain knowledge when you're exposed to suffering.

Don't go bad and don't give up.

I get what your are saying sky,

But there is a old saying suffering

enriches and artists soul.

I disagree with statement.

If anything makes an artist more unstable

Van Go Uh, MichaelAngelo , Leonardo

and so many others . I am artist

and suffered for my art I really did not gain much from

it.

I probably had more than one past life

being an artist. maybe that why get mad

so easily at times.

Life is easy for some then maybe are evolved

or stuck in the ether.?

Sometimes my thinking is if we remember a past

life . that life was not that good or easy

mostly tragic. From what I read on here.

A injured soul, takes many lifetimes to heal.

That phrase came out nowhere.

cover face

SkyeSpitfire said:
I think if you've lived a number of times and those lives have been particularly difficult, you tend to develop an 'outside the box' way of thinking. A wisdom that can't be learned in this life. This is something I think about often. I feel I've lived many times and that most of those lives were tough - including this one, though I feel this one is easier than some of the ones I've had. I think I'm positive by default, whether I want to be or not - and I believe that having difficult lives is ultimately more beneficial in the grand scheme of things than having easy lives.
While I understand how disheartening it can be having a difficult life, I don't think for one moment you should 'go' bad. In fact, that would be the worst possible course of action. I also don't believe in doing good things with the expectation to receive something back. Good acts are supposed to be done just for the fact that they are good and someone is benefiting from them, not in order to get something in return.

I came to the conclusion that having an easy life would be great and all, but I wouldn't have the necessary tools I need in order to try and make a real difference. Because you can only attain certain knowledge when you're exposed to suffering.

Don't go bad and don't give up.
Is bad is simple term and broad term

Acting with without empathy or conscience

Are better terms .I did both in at least 2 previous lives.

I used the term 'bad' because the threadstarter used the word himself in his first post - I didn't think it was necessary to explain exactly what I meant by that as I meant it in the same way it was originally intended. And I don't tend to fluff around with words anyway.

And I disagree - there's a reason most people can't remember their past lives. Only a select few can, or even have an interest in it, and even they can only get fragments most of the time. Maybe we forget because, if we didn't, we'd be obsessing about our past lives so much that we'd neglect to live this one, as new individuals without hindrance. Obviously past lives will have an impact on the character, but I still think it's important to focus on what's now.

If your theory is true, that most lives which are remembered are due to them being particularly tragic or wrought with suffering and that your theory comes from viewing a number of threads here, then I feel that only serves my logic more. As I have found most people on this forum have that type of wisdom I was referring to, the type that can only be exposed to you once you've suffered and the type you find difficult to find in more 'ordinary' people - a certain branch of open-mindedness.

As this is a world filled with suffering, the only way a person can try and change it is if they know exactly what they're dealing with; sometimes that means getting hands-on experience. Know your enemy is also an old saying, I believe. Hence why I feel suffering does make the soul richer - and by that time, you figure out what side you're working for.

Just because a person has a difficult time on earth, it doesn't mean it isn't a completely different story once they've died. So much ignorance occurs because people are unable to expand their minds - not refuse to, but they are literally unable. I think that experiencing life in every way, in all its shortcomings and suffering, is the only way to unlock that. It triggers emotions that can't be triggered any other way and I still feel emotions are the foundation of souls.

As for writers and artists, they tend to see the world differently, many times in dark, depressive ways. They tend to be reflective and often have an ideal of how the world should be - their depression arises from the fact it isn't the way their ideal views it. It's also the writers and artists who tend to make a difference - it's the politicians who just implement the change afterwards.

An injured soul might take many lifetimes to heal or might never heal at all. Personally, I'm no longer at that stage where I'm on a quest to heal myself - I feel like I've already gone past it. I'm also pretty certain I've lived many times and most of those lives have been difficult. So my point about not giving up or going bad was based on my own feelings of experience and that ultimately there's only something good to be found once you reach a certain stage, so long as you don't lose yourself along the way. I've got an innate belief that going bad only hinders growth and there are repercussions for it also.

I was driving home the other day. It was a grey, wet morning, but through the thick overcast, a ray of sunlight suddenly appeared, brightening the road ahead of me. On the radio, tuned to Classic FM (as is my habit), I was listening to a beautiful piece of music, and I suddenly felt unexpectedly happy, at peace with myself, and with the whole world!

Now, my own life has been beset by challenges, and, in many ways, has been a lonely existence. Certainly, it's been a world away from what I'd imagined for myself and planned for when I was an adolescent. I'm sure that had I lived the life I'd envisaged, I'd have had a ball, but I'd have missed out on something far more important: wisdom. What made me so happy and at peace as I was driving home, was the realisation of all that I'd learned along the path my life had taken me, knowledge that could only have been gained by exposure to trial, tribulation, and not a little suffering. Ultimately, therefore, I'm a happier person for it. Life, and the things that happen to us, make far more sense than they did to me 30 years ago. I'm grateful for being given the opportunity to experience not what I wanted, but what I needed...

I think the answer to this question depends on who is viewing it.I can understand why we don't remember past lives but I wish in each life I knew I had one.(to help me progress forward.)I think it can get easier when you start to learn quicker.

I have often wondered whether every few lives you might decide

"ok I'm going to have an easy time this time."

I sort of think it might be like giving your soul a rest like you give your body a rest at the end of the day.

I suppose we tackle different issues each life, some of these issues may hit harder than others.

I have times now when like Arrant even in the midst of depression I think I'm lucky to be here & experience life. Many of my last lives I haven't got to middle age & now I'm like I'm here & I'm alive.

I also agree with the majority that as we evolve it should get easier-unless we give ourselves harder things to overcome?

I don't believe "evolved souls" have harder lives because I don't believe evolved souls exist! There is no way to measure (or to actually define!) what an evolved soul is. Is it a soul that has lived many incarnations? is it a soul that has learnt many "lessons"? Anyways, however we define "evolved soul" like, it will be only based (at best) on philosophy books or new age books, nothing really based on experience.

I think it's like trying to define how smart somebody is. Do you base it on how many logical problems they can solve? on how well they relate to people? on how much they can come up with new answers? on how much cultured they are? Supposedly intelligence is "the ability to solve problems", but isn't it being talked now about "multiple intelligences"?

I don't believe that we reincarnate to learn either, we learn because we reincarnate. Why do some people have harder lives than others? I don't know, maybe it's a combination of bad luck and our own decisions, but if it was because we are more evolved and close to Nirvana then people who remember a few past lives would be able to see how their lives got harder and harder in each life, because if that is the case, then there would be no way that we would have a hard life followed by an "easy" life. Anyways, the concepts of hard and easy are highly subjective as well.

Obie, it is my belief that as we advance we attain a greater ability to find more and more satisfaction in the mere fact we have a human life with which to experience something so far out of our "real life" on the other side. Translate this to mean a more advanced soul will find a sense of amazement and satisfaction in the idea and experience of breathing, that they must breath and sometimes have difficulty breathing...the things we less advanced beings find normal, customary and barely worth mentioning are the reasons those advanced beings are here. With a sense or awareness of the differences between "here and there" one can begin to actually focus on those differences and cherish the opportunities they provide...the human sense of "difficulty" is not the deciding factor, rather the opportunity presented and the possible experiences a particular lifetime allows carries the greatest attraction. As such, I don't believe it is so much that the more advanced choose harder lives, but instead, they choose greater challenges and thus have the potential for higher and more rapid returns in advancement for the lives they live. The human view of pain, agony, frustration, anger and rage are not soul level considerations in choosing lives.

Not counter to your initial posit, but a word on "advanced" beings...our souls are all amazingly powerful and intelligent beings, in ways we cannot begin to comprehend with our human minds. With that, some of the "most advanced among us" as humans are not necessarily highly advanced souls, but rather souls who have come with a very definite plan to achieve something specific and remarkable, enlisted the lifelong support from the "other side" and brought with them the knowledge and skill set enabling them to make a difference in and for humanity. These aren't "advanced souls", but rather souls with a purpose, and from what I understand we are each capable of planning and having such lives.

Owl said:
I don't believe "evolved souls" have harder lives because I don't believe evolved souls exist! There is no way to measure (or to actually define!) what an evolved soul is. Is it a soul that has lived many incarnations? is it a soul that has learnt many "lessons"? Anyways, however we define "evolved soul" like, it will be only based (at best) on philosophy books or new age books, nothing really based on experience.
I think it's like trying to define how smart somebody is. Do you base it on how many logical problems they can solve? on how well they relate to people? on how much they can come up with new answers? on how much cultured they are? Supposedly intelligence is "the ability to solve problems", but isn't it being talked now about "multiple intelligences"?

I don't believe that we reincarnate to learn either, we learn because we reincarnate. Why do some people have harder lives than others? I don't know, maybe it's a combination of bad luck and our own decisions, but if it was because we are more evolved and close to Nirvana then people who remember a few past lives would be able to see how their lives got harder and harder in each life, because if that is the case, then there would be no way that we would have a hard life followed by an "easy" life. Anyways, the concepts of hard and easy are highly subjective as well.
I agree with all after contemplation...I believe in strong minds and hearts, but not evolved souls. I believe we reincarnate because we desire to reincarnate. It could be because we desire to learn, but learning is an experience and the only desire we truly have is to experience :)

But with experience, comes wisdom. If one's wisdom increases from lifetime to lifetime as a result of experience, then the soul can be said to be experiencing growth, or evolution. Therefore, there will always be souls more evolved than others, by virtue of having experienced more. You cannot separate the mind and heart from the soul. Moreover, why would we desire to experience if it were not to evolve as a result of that experience? What would be the point?

Many years ago, I set myself the goal of learning to fly aeroplanes. Why? was the question friends and relatives asked me? What's the point? You're not going to make a career of it, are you? You won't be able to earn a living at it, so why bother? Of course, my response was to say "simply for the experience!" And I meant it. But the truth is, whilst I was learning, I grew, learned about myself, my abilities, and limitations. I grew in confidence. And I reconnected with something buried inside myself. In other words, I evolved. The experience is an opportunity to learn and grow, whatever that experience might be.

O.K here is an interesting twist...I hope I can get my point across without confusion cover face , here goes..

Because I believe that for our souls there is no such thing as chronological time (in this I mean an ever moving forward ) I feel it may be possible as we collect our experiences, that we bounce back and forth between being “wise” and then being ….”not so wise” regarding on the experience we choose for the life we want “now”...(now... also being a word that I don't like to use...but you know what I mean?).

I have had a life where I think...”OMG..how stupid could this chick be??? “ and a life chronologically in human/earth time before that one where I was an enlightened healer...

To sum it up...I feel that the experience that we choose determines how we present ourselves to others...maybe as an “old” soul...or as a “young” soul...again, these words "old" and "new" mean little to me...

And suffering is a very relative word , in my humble opinion...what is suffering to one, may be heaven to another!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aelfgyva said:
Because I believe that for our souls there is no such thing as chronological time (in this I mean an ever moving forward ) I feel it may be possible as we collect our experiences, that we bounce back and forth between being “wise” and then being ….”not so wise” regarding on the experience we choose for the life we want “now”...(now... also being a word that I don't like to use...but you know what I mean?).
I, too, have considered this a possibility, but ultimately came to reject it because, as I see it, it would mean a soul moving back and forth through chronological earth time (unless I've misunderstood you - which I probably have!)? I mean, we're living in the 21st Century now, but if I accept that theory, in my next life I could find myself living in 2000BC! I'm still not dismissing it entirely - anything is possible, but it just doesn't seem plausible to me. Doesn't mean, however, that I'm saying you're wrong and I'm right. Who knows? We're all just theorizing at the end of the day.

Library of Lives...

Hi Arrant...you write, "Who knows? We're all just theorizing at the end of the day."

Oh...you are sooooo right!

I find it fascinating to ponder all these possibilities! Maybe...all things are possible?? That would not surprise me at all! It is difficult to explain how I see time and choosing lives...I'll try again...

I am standing in a library before thousands of book, or in this case, lives. My eyes are drawn to the right and I see a life as an American born in Michigan, 1959...the chance to study medicine, music and English...wow...cool, that's an experience for me...I'll take it!!!

My experience comes to an end...I step out of my body and once again ( I'm putting this very simply :rolleyes: ) I am standing in the library of lives...my eyes are drawn to the left and I see a life as a Milkmaid, living on the land, 1639...I have the chance to learn all about animals, nature and have all my children around me until I die...wow...cool...that's an experience for me......and soooooo it continues over and over, without chronological time...in my library of lives, there is no time, just experience!!!

Now as for myself, first I liked Usetawuz statements above. And will start my reply with two statements that I love. One came from my father onetime when we were talking about reincarnation. He said that how often instead of karma or to learn this or that, we just want to come back and 'Enjoy' another life! Just think of how many Simple 'Joys' there are in life to experience compared to what we are taught to focus on in life by this society.

And the other is something I heard once concerning old souls. Now one thing about an old soul is that they are a 'Slow Learner'. Ha Ha! :D

But now more serious things. Personally do think that this modern day society of us Human Two Leggeds might bring on some hardships that might not have been around in times past. For instance consider how with all of our increased technology, we have now become sooo impersonal to one another it seems and so divorced from one another in our daily lives. In times past it was more simpler lives with living in a community whereby we would have people around us who were loving and supporting in our day to day lives. But now how often these loving and supporting communities are vanishing in this increased techno and increasing impersonal world.

I personally feel a more advanced soul would be one who has increased virtues of the inner self like love, patience, being at inner peace amidst turmoil and troubles, wanting to help and serve others, not being so focused on the material gain of their own selves, more focused on the inner world and the spiritual then the physical, and such. And it would be those that are less advanced or attuned to be more focused on the gain of just their ownselves and things of the material world, less peace in turmoil and trouble, less love and giving of themselves to others, more focused on just the physical then the spiritual, more given to have power and control over others and of material greeds, and so forth.

Now for myself, do think evolving with our soul goes counter to that in which this present society preaches on how we must be on a everyday basis. Now take a look on some of the spiritual leaders of the past, and how often do they renounce various things of the world. Now for instance do think a more advanced soul would be one that would be more at inner peace amidst bigtime turmoil and trouble in their lives and world around them. They would also do think be one less to want to accumulate much material wealth in their own lives but being content with the simple and having enough to just to live. And then giving of the few things that do have when someone nearby is in need. They would be one who would not have to have some 'Soulmate' around them at all times. Would have various abilities in their inner selves in which this modern day society so poo poos with it's focus all on the physical. Personally do think that not necessarily they have a more harder life, but where the emphasis is in that life when it comes to a more advanced soul compared to a less advanced soul.

Now hope I have explained for do think it is hard to put into words. I think Usetawuz was right that a more advanced soul would more experience joys in the very simple things of life like even just breathing. And compared to a less advanced soul who would get all caught up in the material gain of the world with being selfish in their physical world view and focused all on their own mortal outward physical self.

Hope have made it clear. Could go on but will end here. Wishing Everyone the Best!

I heartily agree with those who pointed out that suffering is relative. If I look at my own life, with "ten" being the ultimate in the measurement of a difficult existence, it would only be a "six". The less evolved among us may suffer more, with less cause.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your library analogy, Aelfgyva. I can easily imagine that is how it would all work. Most of us think of the Akashic Records as resembling a library, maybe the one that was lost at Alexandria.

I think that comparing how evolved souls are by taking into consideration how many "lessons" they have learnt is like saying that a law student is a more evolved person than a high school kid. He might know more about law, but that's pretty much it. He is not a better person, in some situations he might even act more foolish than the high school kid. I think there is no way to compare two souls by the "lessons they have learnt" because we are all different and so are our experiences.

Wisdom doesn´t come from our experiences, wisdom comes from what with do with those experiences. I can try to fight with Mike Tyson, get sent to the hospital and when I recover try to fight him again and again and again with the same result. Or I can do something different, like train first, fight somebody else, or not fight at all. We can even learn and modify our behavior by not really having experiences either but reflecting about others'.

By me talking about wisdom you mean? Not necessarily. I haven´t checked out the definition of wisdom, but I understand it as taking into consideration our previous experiences to reflect on our course of action and maybe making different choices in order to get results that are more beneficial for us.It doesn't involve to compare ourselves with other people.

As for evolution, we are more evolved the more we are adapted to our environment. Who is more evolved, cats or humans? Both, since we both are adapted to our environment to our maximum level for the moment. But this is just physical anyways, we cannot say how adapted a soul is.

So we cannot compare our wisdom to that of others, even if we have been in similar situations to them and handled it worse or better?

And are you sure everyone adapts to their environment the same? I believe the soul's adapting to our environment depends on how flexible the mind and body are...

Sarellah said:
So we cannot compare our wisdom to that of others, even if we have been in similar situations to them and handled it worse or better?
Not really, previously, when I said "acted more foolish" I was referring to "more foolish" by social standards. For example, the law college kid might go party, get drunk and pass out in the street while who knows, maybe the high school kid would avoid such parties. We say its more foolish because the first case could endanger his life. My point there was not to compare who was wiser but to state that we cannot compare two people by how many lessons they have learnt. I could have just replaced that "acted foolish" sentence by something else.

But leaving aside social morality and commonly accepted ideas, what is really acting wiser? and wiser compared to who? We can do it by what society considers wise, but would that really matter at a soul level?

Sarellah said:
And are you sure everyone adapts to their environment the same? I believe the soul's adapting to our environment depends on how flexible the mind and body are...
Read my post again, I said "that I was just referring to evolution at a physical level", and at that level yes, we all pretty much adapt the same. I don't see humans with fur like monkeys or with their foramen magnus at the back of their head so their spine is horizontal instead of vertical. So yes, we all pretty much already adapted to our environment the same and we still do it.

We can somehow measure how adapted an organism is by considering how many diseases/ physical annoyances could be avoided by modifying today's standards. For example, if I live somewhere where there is a lot of animals but not too many plants to eat, I would do better if I had canines and sharp teeth instead of molars, I would do better if my jaw was lower. Ultimately, and considering Darwin and Mendel's theories, the individuals that have sharper teeth would do better in that environment and survive, while the others will die for not being adapted. Their progeny will populate the area.

Now, how can that even be applied to souls?!

Back