Living all our lives at once

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Chansa, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Chansa

Chansa Senior Registered

What I'm about to post comes from a very recent journal entry of mine. I wanted to post it here before but my access to the internet has been limited until yesterday. Also, I was hesitant to post because I'm not sure it fits any available catergory. Hopefully it's clear enough that you'll understand it.

As for a little background, this is not a past life experience, at least not in a direct way. But it was an experience directly relating to the nature of living multiple lives and I thought it would be interesting to share and listen to how you respond. :)

Also, I've tried to keep it as clear as possible. All of this information came to me in a matter of seconds. In fact, I'm certain it came to me in an incredibly brief instant with such a force, I was left sifting through the echo of it, an echo strong enough for me to actually comprehend. Because it was so brief, it didn't feel as though it came in any linear order. I feel I organized the order on a subconscious level. But I also feel I left a lot of what I received out because I couldn't find words or known foundation for it.

THE ENTRY

All things are vibrating, from quarks to galaxies. Vibration is sound. Sound lies within the source, the source from whence all life in this universe came. Many ancient, spiritual/religious sources loosely agree with quantum physics on this particular point, more or less.

Then there's the idea of time. It's said that time is a product of our sensory limitations, our linear impression of a reality that is actually beyond time or space. For us, everything happens in succession whereas, it is believed by some, everything from our past, present, and future are actually occuring at the same time. Things of the past, things of the future, are of infinite nature, are fused in something that, at our vantage point, we can only describe as an eternal NOW. Though, THAT impression is only approximate.

So, why the hell am I babbling all this pseudospirtualscientific crap now? Because, here is what came to me before I went to sleep one night last week, though not in any linear form (though the intermittent narration makes it SEEM as though it was fed to me linearly):

All of your lives (as in "one" soul living through "many" lives via reincarnation) seem to happen in succession.

First, there are lives you've lived. Then, there's the life you're living now. And last, there's the lives you've yet to live. It seems like you're drawing this line through space as you go, slowly but surely.

The image that comes to me at this point is someone sort of crawling on an endless black plane. In one hand, they trace a line in front of themselves with a paintbrush or pen.

So, you're concentrating on drawing this line as perfectly as you can. It's simplest to focus on the part you're working on. But, if you get into the rhythm of things, you can actually look back at the first part of the line you drew and continue drawing the line at the same time without really messing up at all. In fact, looking back at the first part of the line helps you orient yourself to the part you're tracing out now. It improves the line.

At this point the image playing in my mind transforms. The, person disappears and the line extends itself of its own accord, perfectly. The line is no longer a flat drawing but a 3D guitar string. The string begins to vibrate and hum, a beautiful sound.

This is what the soul sounds like, your lives being lived all at once, every unimaginably infintisimal moment. Still, the note becomes greater than the sum of its parts. Your higher self, the soul, the oversoul, the godself, the great spirit or whatever it is you want to call it, is making music.

Then, as though giant, invisible fingers are pressing into the vibrating string, it bends inward. Our invisible giant strums the string in a different note. Strumming and sliding up the string, each note blends seamlessly into the next, becoming richer as the sliding reaches the tip of the string. Then, no more pressure, no more sliding and the sound is "complete," embodying all those sounds and more.

Our lives are being lived all at once. But it's all experienced in some slow, drawn out thread. We hear the note we're closest to. The doppler effect drowns out the rest of the string, the rest of the song and so here we are, drawing the line, playing the song that's never needed finishing.

Yeah, my brain is so weird.

(END)

So, that's my experience. :eek:

It's not a new idea, I know, but I thought it was significant that of all the concepts surrounding past lives, this was the one that entered my mind so abruptly out of nowhere. An idea that takes the "past" and "future" out of "past lives" and "future lives." What do you all think?

2. jackh

jackh Senior Registered

Chansa

The last paragraph of you experience pretty much says it all. And from my experience you have it right. An interesting exercise I heard about once when it came to accessing past and future lives was to view them as stored in 3 seperate bins open on the top and in the front. Then desolve the walls separating them. At that point it is all one experience and can be drawn up on when ever we need it.

Another bit is time is relative and when you know how to bend it or see past it your experience makes much more sense.

Jack

3. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

Gary Zukav stated in his book -

You might also enjoy this old thread titled -A Question on Simultaneous Time

4. Chansa

Chansa Senior Registered

Thanks for responding, jackh and Deborah. :)

The connected bins concept sounds very interesting, jackh. I might try incorporating that concept into meditation and/or visualization exercises just to see what happens. Have you ever had any experience with the three-bin imagery and if you have, what was it like?

Thanks for the quote, Deborah. :D I absolutely love stuff like this.

You know, for as long as I can remember, that Seat of the Soul book has always seemed to jump out at me. I mean literally. Fall on me while I was reaching over for another book at the bookstore. Or being placed in a totally unrelated section while I happened to be going through it. :laugh: Ever since it came out! For some reason, I never picked it up though, which is strange since I'm usually one to react to that sort of thing right away.

Also, thanks for the link to the old thread. I guess I should have searched harder before posting. :eek: But, from the skimming I've done so far, I'm going to enjoy reading through it this weekend. :D

On a side note, in reference to the first post - does anyone else receive extremely compressed information like that? A large amount of information relative to the amount of time it took to absorb? :confused:

5. shield

shield Registered User

Chansa, I like the music analogy... I´m a twang on a string anda song -I like that:laugh:... rather than a flesh-body machine, or an astral one, at that .
    (if anology is the right word... since perceiving ourselves as vibration is probably closer to the real truth of it than identifying with the image of a particularised body agent)

I would agree with this, too, and I think a linear view of reincarnation is something that will have to go for for a wider acceptance of the concept(if that´s anything to strive for :rolleyes:... ).

I also like the tentativeness of what you´re proposing, in that in the end anything that can be described is only a description;) and an approximation.

An interesting thing too was the shift between drawing ("image-making") to sound vibration ("perceiving", "doing" and "being" rolled into one) dissolving linearity and the dimensional shift that went with that.

6. tanguerra

tanguerra Moderator Emeritus

Yes yes yes! That is how I experience it! Not all the time of course, or I would probably get hit by a bus, but I have certainly had experiences/moments/flashes such as you describe when I have glimpsed 'behind the curtain' at another reality.

Sometimes I certainly experience my 'other selves' bopping along doing what they are 'up to' all at the same 'time', which I have described elsewhere. Sometimes we even chit chat:
    http://www.reincarnationforum.com/threads/a-question-on-simultaneous-time.69/

I use the metaphor of the train carriage going along the tracks across a wide and open plain of time while we sit and usually just look out the window to explain the illusion of linear time passing by in straight lines which is the normal experience. Some of us occasionally pop out onto the roof and take in the larger view.

However, interesting, at the heart of my experience of the 'all-at-once-everything-is-connected-universal-consciousness' etc. is not only sound (which I have experienced as like a sort of choir of joy or something) but a light too blinding for the normal eyes to look at and warmth and a feeling of the most intense love which is like the light almost unbearably overwhelming.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix Forgot to play nice

The whole theory of simultaneous incarnations really gets to me. I would love for it to be true, but only if I can change what's also going on in another lifetime of mine.

If somewhere out there I'm also living my life as an ex-chicken farmer in a fancy black uniform, than I should be able to interfere, to warn him, give him a dope slap upside the head, or somehow make him turn aside from the path he went down. Or at least get him to stop chickening out every time the Wehrmacht high command invites him to join the anti-Hitler conspiracy.

But how can you even change something the world remembers so vividly? How can you change the history of a world that operates on linear time?

The problem with simultaneous lives is the same problem with time travel-Paradox.

Phoenix

8. curious_girl

curious_girl Curious Member

I'm wondering about the same thing, Phoenix.
    I've learned during a meditation course that it's possible to send healing energy to the past.
    That this energy really gets there.
    So if an adult sends healing energy to the abused child he once was,
    it would heal the pain of the past.
    But I guess it only heals the pain of the present that is still linked to the past.
    It can't impossibly change the past.

If I'm for instance the reincarnation of Napoleon and I finally realize that I better skip Waterloo,
    I don't think I can't change anything about history right now.
    But I can change my attitude towards that stupidity from almost 200 years ago.
    I could forgive myself, for instance, I can understand better why I made certain mistakes when I still was Napoleon.

When I had a really hard time with one of my past life memories,
    someone said to me: change the story line and the outcome.
    I only had to vizualize a more positive ending.
    Well, that worked for a while, but it didn't change my past life memories.
    Sometimes we just have to admit that we've killed or have been killed.
    Or that we lived or died under the most horrific circumstances.
    I think we are fooling ourselves if we think we can change that.

Curious Girl.

9. Charles Stuart

Charles Stuart Probationary

Simultaneous Lives - again I have to say that I do not see how this can be possible. No matter how much I might try, it just doesn't "add up" for me. Linearity and sequentiallity are the only concepts that make sense to me. :rolleyes: In particular due to the "karmic" process, and also as to the question of how my "soul/spirit" could possibly be at so many points at the same "time"...

10. MoonDansyr

MoonDansyr Senior Registered

I have the same difficulties with the concept. Even with the message I received that there was no such things as time, I still can't wrap my brain around it.

Further, even if we were living all of our lives simultaneously, there's still a beginning, middle, and end of these lives. And further, how, if things are simultaneous, will we learn to grow from past lessons?

It's all very confusing and my human brain says it has to be linear, while I have some level of "faith" in the message I received of "no time."

11. Wulfie

Wulfie Dreamer

Just throwing in my two cents here.

Linearity is a handy tool that we've grown comfortable using to help us explain and understand things from the point of awareness as a limited human/physical being on a materialistic plane of existence. If we remember that, on another level, we are eternal beings instead of these spirits encased in bodies, then we can also remember or begin to fathom that physical awareness is very unlike Soul awareness, which is timeless.

Soul has a different 'reality' expression and is perfectly capable of experiencing all of itself simultaneously. From Soul's view all of this physical stuff is like a dream. It's an illusion supported by the various agreed upon terms, labels, rules, etc.. that we've set up here to operate from. Our mind or brain might have difficulty getting, holding, and maintaining this larger awareness but Soul Awareness isn't subject to the same rules and so it can operate beyond time, with time, without time, all of the above....pick one.

One of the difficulties we have in trying to figure out the whole time thing (among other things) is that we keep trying to slot it in with physicality instead of eternity. We are more than our bodies and we are also more than the single point of awareness that we currently operate out of. (i.e. our present body/mind/incarnation/form)

There is no spoon.

Wulfie

12. Charles Stuart

Yes, I agree, Wulfie, but up to a point. "Time" is our notion to explain "SEQUENCES OF EVENTS". There must be a "sequence of events" in the spiritual realms as well, don't you think? Albeit at a MUCH faster rate. It has often been reported that, after some "time", the disincarnated Soul/Spirit "gradually remembers" all of its "past lives"... It is not, however, living them all, each one of them, simultaneously. As Kathy said, our present lives have a beginning, a middle and an end. I can't see that right now I could be also simultaneously living as a baby and also all the events in between. Why go for complicated if it can be so simple? (Me and my kiss rule - keep It simple, stupid... :D)

13. curious_girl

curious_girl Curious Member

Perhaps there's a linear time line,
    and a space of energy, events and emotions which is timeless.
    I know that my past life is history, but on the other hand I can still communicate with my past.
    There's still something there from my former self, although I died 100 years ago.

Curious Girl.

14. Charles Stuart

Hi Curious Girl,

Yes, I know that you and many others have this experience. My own conclusion is that the "contacting with the past" is an accessing to the Akashic Records, the registry of all past events, emotions and thoughts... This I do believe in and feel I can understand... :rolleyes: (P.S. I am a blonde, perhaps this might be interfering with my judgement... :D)

15. MoonDansyr

MoonDansyr Senior Registered

Okay, I want to clarify more of my brain.

I have experienced "non-time" before (in a dream of being between lives). I wholly believe that time is a human perception. While time may not exist spiritually, I do believe that while in human life, we have no choice but to perceive time as linear. And somehow, I genuinely believe that we "grow" from our lives in a linear fashion. I have no idea how to really express my thoughts, but I see time as being like yin and yang - - or all and nothing - - simultaneously.

16. Phoenix

My experiences agree with yours, MoonDansyr, in my opinion, time has no meaning in the non-physical world.

< theory >

It is possible that from the point of view of the non-physical world, it looks as if we are living all of our lives at once, because time has no meaning from that side.

On this side while incarnate, because we are individual consciousnesses housed in individual containers,containers that exist in what we perceive as a physical world where time operates in what we perceive as a linear fashion, we see a single life at a time. Each is separated from the other, one after the other, like beads on a string.

< /theory >

Georges Seurat's Pointillist paintings were comprised of tiny dots. If you look at them very closely, that is all you see. Nothing but meaningless dots in different colors.

Step back far enough, though, and you see Parisians enjoying a picnic.

Now, imagine what that painting would look like to you if you were one of the dots... All you will ever see are the dots right around you, the sky above and the ground below. Your point of view is entirely different from someone who is not part of the painting, and who can see the big picture.

But that's just my theory. Theories are like opinions...everybody's got one.

Phoenix

17. tanguerra

Yes Wulfie, as always, spot on, as we say. Yes Phoenix you are getting it.

You are explaining it very well. Sometimes all we can use to get a grip on these concepts are metaphors and I like your painting metaphor. It is indeed a question of perspective. We live in mortal, physical bodies evolved with brains to understand medium sized objects moving at medium speed through three dimensional space and linear time. This is a important ability for successfully hunting mamoths and avoiding getting run over by taxicabs. Our little brains get all muddled up when we try to work out this 'other dimensional' stuff using logic and reason. The imagination is sometimes a better tool than the mind for cracking these walnuts. Ask any physicist to explain themselves and if you don't speak 'maths' they will immediately resort to metaphor.

I see it like train carriages - similar to your beads on a string. Most people are sitting in their little seat on the train as it moves ever forwards, through linear time, looking out the window, watching time pass by like a long series of discrete scenes which indeed seem to move only in one direction - from the past, into the future, in a sensible and comprehensible fashion.

Although the body and the normal waking consciousness are confined to the seat, the 'soul' (or whatever you want to call it) is able to get up out of the seat (for example when sleeping, in trance or dying) and fly up onto the roof and check out the view. The "view" is time spread out ahead, behind and to the side going on into infinity, is now, always was, always will be. The train tracks are like the trajectory of your life - beginning, middle, end as Moondansyr says. Sometimes I see other 'trains' chuffing along on other tracks and might see one of 'me' looking out a window and give myself a little wave. (No, I don't really see trains - I am just trying to explain this odd experience through metaphor)

As far as influencing the course of our 'previous' lives, I don't think the effect of the soul flying around checking out the view from upstairs would be strong enough to make any gross changes in the material world, such as the example of Napoleon avoiding Waterloo. I don't think the soul flying about through time could make either of those trains jump right off the tracks! That would take some metaphorical dynamite and I don't think that is what the soul is 'up to'.

I doubt that the personalities of either Napoleon or Himmler would have been open to promptings from the 'spirit world' to change their strategies or battle plans or mend their wicked ways. They would have been much more likely to pay attention to earthly advisors, if anyone, in making up their minds on what action they were going to take, but obviously Phoenix is the expert on that topic! Do you think, back then, if you had a 'hunch' or a 'funny feeling' or even a dream, that this whole Nazi party thing was going to end in tears you would have done something else instead? Even though Julius Caesar's wife dreamt vividly he would be murdered and tried hard to warn him, he went anyway (at least according to legend). The rest is history, as they say.

I do think that you can have subtle influences - perhaps depending on how skilled we are at doing this and how open you are to such things, also with the consent and cooperation of the other 'self' that you are dealing with. I don't think it would be either possible or desirable for you 'now' to bend you 'then' to your will. That would interfere with the whole process, wouldn't it? In my own situation I have deliberately asked for counsel and advice from my past and future selves and have received it gladly and willingly. Have you ever heard any of those stories about people who had a presentiment not to get on a plane or similar? I think this is the level of subtlety where this type of effect is enacted.

18. Luca

Luca New Member

Hi,
    this is exactly what came to my mind also. After all the cause-effect relation is something that happens in our soul, not just in our reasoning (past traumas that generate consequences for example).

19. Chansa

Chansa Senior Registered

Wow! Great discussion, everybody. :thumbsup: I'm off to work in a bit, but I am reading along and I hope to squeeze in some time to add more to the discussion.

That being said, anybody ever read Extra-dimensional Universe: Where The Paranormal Becomes Normal by John R. Violette? : angel

20. Charles Stuart

Hi everyone,

Yes, great discussion... :thumbsup: I won't say I disagree with the views expressed, I am merely trying to "fit it all in". :) :rolleyes:

Hi Tanguerra,

"I doubt that the personalities of either Napoleon or Himmler would have been open to promptings from the 'spirit world' to change their strategies or battle plans or mend their wicked ways."

One thing I have been thinking lately is just how much "spiritual influences" do affect the course of events. It seems they also play a significant role not only in the course of events, but also upon our thoughts, our choices and our "karma".

21. Phoenix

Ask any techie to explain themselves and if you don't speek 'tech', they'll either sneer and rattle off a lot of acronyms and buzzwords, or they will use metaphors. I've used it in 'how to' tech articles-I explained different classes of service providers using restaurant amenities (plastic versus metal silverware, and what type of napkins you get), and I used straws to explain how bandwidth works.

Metaphors are great for explaining unfamiliar concepts, they give you something familiar to hang the unfamiliar on.

What, like Han Solo, "I've got a bad feeling about this." Naah.

Although in this incarnation I get 'promptings from the spirit world', I don't believe that being discarnate means they have all the answers, so I take things with plenty of grains of salt.

I didn't need a hunch, a dream, or a funny feeling-there came a time when we all knew the ship was sinking, and that we were going to go down with it.

More than once, the anti-Hitler conspirators (otherwise known as the Army generals) are documented as approaching Himmler and asking him to join in and offering the carrot of the leader's position, in the belief they could control him. Felix Kersten makes it very clear in his biography that he tried to manipulate Himmler into stopping the death machine as soon as he found out about it-by saying 'history will remember you as a mass murderer'. So, earthly advisors were no help either.

Bottom line for that life was that nothing, not earthly or spiritual, was going to get me to betray Hitler by leaving the party or stopping the Holocaust.

22. Charles Stuart

Hi Phoenix,

Now, imagine what that painting would look like to you if you were one of the dots... All you will ever see are the dots right around you, the sky above and the ground below. Your point of view is entirely different from someone who is not part of the painting, and who can see the big picture.

yes, but do you think it is possible for the Soul/Consciousness to be all the dots simultaneously? This is my point...

23. Phoenix

Being is a whole 'nother theory or kettle of fish. My theory is strictly about perception.

So, the door is open, anyone want to come up with a theory that covers being?

Phoenix

24. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

I am reading a very good book right now, by Peter Russell titled from Science to God - a Physicist's Journey into the Mystery of Consciousness. A very easy read, comprehensive and intriguing.

He states for example
    Charles, from my perspective, yes it is possible for consciousness to be anywhere, anyplace - past present or future. The book mentioned above talks about how we know the world around us, and that really all we have is our experience IN IT. Within experience - we find layers of interpretation, meaning, a sense of self, other, and the world around us.

25. Charles Stuart

So we're in the illusion again? It must be the "matrix"... :D

"Matter, we assume, does not possess consciousness."

In the African religion of Candomblé, it does. :rolleyes: Air, water, earth, etc posses a form of "consciousness". :eek: ;)

"From my perspective, yes it is possible for consciousness to be anywhere, anyplace - past present or future."

I still can't see it, though. My feeling is that my consciousness is here. It is me now, growing and learning and progressing as "time" passes. We all have our own ways of understanding the process, and that's fine... :thumbsup:

26. michaldembinski

michaldembinski Senior Registered

Warsaw, Poland; 52 degrees North, 21 degrees East
    I agree. The atom, a tiny ball of electrons spinning around a nucleus since the beginning of time, has, I believe, consciousness and will.

Michal

27. tanguerra

Yes, Phoenix. I have used sheep to explain why computers sometimes crash to people I used to work with in the agricultural sector (...computers are dumber than sheep. Even a sheep can decide which gate it wants to go through if faced with a choice...)

I saw a fascinating TV show last night regarding the current understanding of the make up of the universe. It seems it consists of only about 5% matter, 20% so called 'Dark Matter' - can't see it, can't measure it, but it has to be there or else our observations simply don't make sense - and about 75% so-called 'Dark Energy' - ditto with dark matter. This is the state of the art in astrophysics as of 2006. Lots of question marks and very little certainty.

This is a bit of internet chit chat about it for those interested: http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/40982

This is a somewhat more scholarly source: http://physicsweb.org/articles/world/18/5/4

I understand how this is difficult to get Charles. What is illusion? What is real? As Woody Allen once said "If everything is an illusion and nothing is real, I definitely overpaid for my carpet" . Yes, you are definitely here, now, doing your thang. 'You' are also elsewhere in 'time' doing other 'thangs' it is just that you are not normally aware of it and a good thing too.

But, if we try to phathom how everything works based only on what is physically observable, we see only a tiny part of the picture with our actual material eyes. Our senses are really quite limited and are not the limit of reality. Butterflies perceive colour totally differently to humans. Dogs and bats hear more than we do, remember. Goodness knows what cats are up to!

People are so certain that 'matter' is all there is and time moves in straight lines because this is the information that is normally coming in through our five senses. That is very natural and is common sense. But matter is only a small portion of 'reality'. The rest is other 'stuff' that we have no idea what it is, what it is for and what it is made of.

Certainly my experience does not conform to this single, simple material reality. I know there is something else going on. I don't pretend to understand all of it. I have just had a peek behind the 'movie screen' now and again, and know there is something going on back there that is at least as interesting as the picture on the screen. I suspect Deborah's experience is similar or at the very least not incompatable.

28. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

Tanquerra your insight inspires me!

Tman

29. tanguerra

Thank you Tinkerman.

Sometimes it bamboozles me! I am just glad I have people to discuss this all with who can kind of dig it and don't assume I am just a teensy weensy bit insane. :D

30. Charles Stuart

Hi tanguerra,

You are certainly no more insane than anyone else of us here (or anyone else "out there" either...) :D

'You' are also elsewhere in 'time' doing other 'thangs' it is just that you are not normally aware of it and a good thing too.

This is where I disagree. :rolleyes: To me, my "true self", my "consciousness", is here at this moment. I cannot sense it being elsewhere simultaneously. I can see that our Soul/Spirit is capable of journeying "out of body", or of expanding to access other "realities", but the center point is my consciousness at every instant.

To me, I am not, for example, simultaneously here in my incarnated body and also with "another me" in the spiritual realms. I am either here, conscious in my physical body, or "there" either during dreams or after I leave my physical body behind.

In between incarnations, my belief is that the Soul/Spirit resides in the spiritual realms, studying and absorbing what he/she has learned from each life, and aiding others in their progress. In order for this process, and the karmic process, and the learning and evolving process to occur, there has to be a sequentiality. This is the way I see it, anyway... :rolleyes: :) :thumbsup: