Mending the Past and Healing the Future -- Soul Retrieval

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Deborah, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

I found this quote by Alberto Villoldo Ph.D thoughtful and beautifully written.

The Four Winds Society

I am reading his newest book right now titled Mending the Past and Healing the Future -- Soul Retrieval. It is a very interesting read -he is an anthropologist and psychologist and studied in the Amazon with a very famous healer. I am finding his research and work with the Light body to be fascinating. It is so nice to read another point of view regarding past lives and healing from a culture we do not read much about.

I have never heard of healing past lives as a way to soul retrieval. It puts an interesting spin on why we remember, what is important to remember and better yet - he addresses creating consciously in the future via this ancient Amazon technique of being whole.

Many members over the years have asked - why do we remember. If they do remember - some ask now what? What am I supposed to do with it. It is a beautiful premise really - the purpose is to heal and become whole. :thumbsup: Anyone else reading his books? It is the Shamanistic approach and well done.

Many people address past life experiences as a way to heal - to forgive and let go. But how many of you have thought of past life work as a way to create consciously in the future? To become whole and find that all illusive word - TRUTH?

Just wanted to share another really good resource regarding past lives. ;)

2. Aquaria

Aquaria Senior Registered

Thanks for sharing that Deborah. By the way, what exactly is soul retrieval?

That Alberto Villoldo and the Four Winds Society sounds really interesting. Its a really cool approach to things. Definitely something to look into.

I really dont know why we remember past lives. But I'm glad we do. I think that remembering who we once were can help us better understand who we are now. Knowing that other emotions, other thoughts, were once part of US can enrich our lives now and might even enable us to expand our minds. Exploring spirituality is an essential part of human life and I am just now learning about this. I sincerely hope that exploring past lives helps us all grow and learn.

3. Aaron

Aaron Senior Registered

I have been pondering recently if this is the reason why I remember what I do.

Sounds like an interesting book, I might have to find a copy of it.

4. Deborah

HI Aquaria,

In the context he is using it; it is embracing who we are, where we have been, forgiving the circumstances of the past, letting go and consciously creating a positive future. He has exercises that include journaling and meditation.

He also gives another point of view - one from the Amazon - which as I stated I find very interesting. Since we are inundated with Western thought and ancient text from the East.

5. JulieZ

JulieZ ******

That is interesting... I am short on time, but wanted to mention many years ago I read a book by Sandra Ingerman called "Soul Retrieval - Mending The Fragmented Self".

I'll have to see if I still have it (who did I lend it to?) The basis was that each time we are hurt, suffer a painful moment, etc - Our souls become fragmented. In order to fully heal our lives (past included) we must retrieve these pieces of our fragmented souls home through shamanism. It was really Fascinating and empowering!

Here is her site: http://www.shamanicvisions.com/ingerman_folder/04books.html

I will have to check out Alberto's book.

Love,
    Julie

6. JulieZ

JulieZ ******

Here's a whole page on Soul Retrieval via her site:

I'm curious if it is similar to Alberto's descriptions in his book.

Love,
    Julie

7. Deborah

HI Julie,

Your link is similar but Alberto takes you through exercises on how to soul journey, going through the five levels of awareness/existence and directing your life and future life experience's for a healthy - happy future.

I like what your link said -
    In the book I have referenced he talks about the 9th Chakra- and changing your DNA. He talks about our genes and how to alter our genes now to speed up the evolutionary process and break the chains of disharmony; grief, anger, fear, shame, guilt .....etc. It isn't often I have come across a book that speaks of the chakras above the crown chakra. :thumbsup: Let alone one that helps you work at that level. It is an interesting read. :) Some of his points are ambiguous but because of my anthropology background - I understood his points.

Has anyone ever done a "soul retrieval?"

8. KarenF

KarenF Senior Registered

Hi Deborah, et al:

I got into past lives to make myself whole, right from the get-go. Never thought of remembering for any other reason.

Quoting from the linked page on soul retrieval:
    Compare this to the western psychiatric notion of "dissociation" -- the splitting-off of a part or parts of the mind or personality as a result of trauma. It's as if one part takes on the trauma in full and is then sealed off from the rest, so as to protect the rest. The rest might include the conscious mind, hence repression of conscious knowledge of an event (e.g. incest -- memories of which many people completely repress).

I see the loss of portions of the soul as a corollary to possession or invasion by entities. You can lose bits of your own soul, and you can also be carrying bits of someone else's, and neither is good.

The shamanic tradition holds that you should just be carrying your own, and all of it. This is one problem I have with the notion that more than one person can have lived the same past life -- each person would then have only a partial soul, and if the shamans are right, that can't be healthy.

So, to return to the idea of remembering past lives for healing purposes: suppose we suffered a trauma severe enough to cleave off part of our soul -- in a past life? And so that bit of soul didn't come with us into this one?

The shamanic cure is for a shaman to journey to wherever that bit is, find it and return it to us.

But the more standard Western cure, derived from modern psychiatry/psychology, and with which I'm more familiar -- is to remember and work through the traumatic experience, releasing repressed emotions.

That would necessitate remembering past lives.

I'm sure that's why I did it -- that and the usual soul progression, which causes us all to remember our past lives sooner or later. I knew I needed healing, and though I didn't consciously know I needed healing from past-life traumas, my 'inner healer' did, and so that's where it sent me.

In wholeness (heal/health = hale = whole -- they're all from the same root)
    Karen

9. Eevee

Eevee Administrator/Archivist Staff Member Super Moderator

I also have some comments and questions on this subject. As Karen already said, if somehow/somewhere/sometime we loose part of our Soul, where does that part go???
    What I think about this : A part ( or several parts) of our Soul can be lost. This happens IMO always as a result of a certain interaction with others. So in fact that other person stole a part of our Soul. I also believe that this part will in time become a burden for the thief.
    I see two ways of healing: interaction with that same person/other Soul again (in this life or a next) to 'take' or 'ask' that part of your Soul back, or, if that is not possible, somehow we should let the missing part of our Soul 'grow back'.
    Healing would also be necessary for the person with the 'extra' piece of Soul. Here goes the same : healing through interaction with the same other Soul again, or finding a way to 'shed' the extra part.
    I also think that during life always continuously people take and get back Soul parts from each other, sometimes conscious and sometimes unconscious.
    I see it somewhat as the same concept as karma: once we learn not to steal parts from other Souls anymore and become strong enough to not let others steal part of Ours, perfection is reached.

Oh well, I guess I should read that book !! :) ;)

Eevee

10. Deborah

Hi Eevee and KarenF,

Karen said -
    In Villoldo's book, he references the Laika, and it isn't a matter always of going to the past. Instead he says they see evolution as a journeying into the future to "see who we're becoming" so that we may bring that knowledge back to the present. He then says that the Lakia believe that it is memories stored in our "luminous energy field (the karma from our former lives)" that determines our current situation. He talks about the fifth world - which is found within the higher chakras, and it is in these higher chakras that we meet our perfect and original self - in order to heal.

He does talk about journeying into past lives and into a lifetime in which you suffered the most - but he gets specific;

What I find so interesting is that he says you only need these three life times to be set free of the karma within you and that there is a domino effect - backward, that will occur clearing ALL your former lifetimes.

I find this interesting - the idea of a domino effect - mmmmmmmmmmm -- I will think on this one for a while. Since I remember my last three consecutive life times and what I would consider an ancient life time 3500BC - I am curious to see if his premise fits my experience. What are your thoughts? Does it fit yours?

11. KarenF

KarenF Senior Registered

Three lives?

Hi Deborah (et al):

Okay, so if I've got this straight Villoldo is saying you only need to "drain the energy" from three lives:

1) the one in which you suffered the most
    2) the one in which you had the greatest knowledge & power but used your gifts poorly; and
    3) the one in which you had great wisdom and used your gifts well

...and this will clear the karma from every other life in a domino effect.

You know... this seems to explain SO precisely why I've remembered and been drawn to concentrate on the lives that I have that I'm very hesitant to accept it. It seems to be TOO positive and easy an explanation! Could my subconscious be so organized?

I'm not sure in which life I suffered the most. There are a few good candidates (including this one). And I've done work on all of them.

But the other two are no-brainers. Those who've read lots of my posts can probably guess easily, and for those who haven't, sorry, I'm too embarrassed to specify...!

As for the domino effect... my spirit guides once told me that I have been punishing myself for things I did in life #2 ever since, the entire 23 centuries... and from what I remember, I believe it. If (when!) I stop doing that... it does indeed clear a lot of trauma from the intervening lives. (Which actually would include #3.) I can do a LOT of realization: "Oh, that's why I suffered so much!" (And often realization is all that is needed for healing.)

I haven't shared it with the forum in any detail, because it is too personal and private, but a friend and I did a session Jan. 3-5 (yes, it lasted three days) on the murder of her previous incarnation by mine -- part of what I so punished myself for. It's done amazing things for me... lifted away so much of the self-doubt, self-hate, self-denigration that I am a changed person. (There's lots of other healing work involved in this too, including homeopathy.) She's having changes too. A domino effect? I suspect so.

And yet part of me is thinking this idea of Villoldo's fits too well with my experience to be possible. I don't know. I'm going to have to let this rattle around in my brain too.

Warmly,
    Karen

12. Deborah

HI Karen,

I am curious if you have come to any new realizations regarding his premise and your memories? I can see where it fits for me to some degree. Not in all aspects. For me - my last three life times came through like a flood. Over the past 20 years -it was like bits and pieces to a puzzle. All emotional, traumatic, and hard life times.

I understand his premise -to remember in order to become whole and heal. But I also have found, the more life times I remember -the more I come to know myself. SO perhaps he is laying the foundation for soul progress, a pathway to healing.......I cannot help but feel that there can be more to it than that.

No - it's not necessary to remember/experience all your past lives; but for me each has been a special realization. The lessons learned, the circumstances the possibilities and the reason -I am who I am today. Perhaps for me- this is my truth, as he stated - truth is a personal stance. : angel

13. KarenF

KarenF Senior Registered

Hi Deborah:

Hmm, let me see, how long ago did I write that? Jan 21, okay. Since then things have progressed even further, and I am in an even better place emotionally. It just keeps getting better and better... it's amazing.

To talk about healing I am going to use a computer analogy -- many moons ago, when computers were much more primitive, the memory on my computer went. That was clearly what was wrong, it said so on the monitor. I had a computer-savvy ex boy-friend tell me, all I needed to do was replace the memory chip. So I went out and bought a couple of new ones. There were a bank of sixteen, so I pulled out the first of the old ones, put in the new... same problem. Pulled out the second of the old ones, put in the new... same problem. And so on, one by one.

By the time I'd done the fourth-last one, I was panicking. "This is never going to work! I don't know anything about computers! The machine's pooched!" My partner at the time said, "But you're not done yet... you've got three to go." I took a deep breath and kept going. The next one, the third last, was it. New chip in, and the machine booted like nothing had happened.

Deep healing can be like that. If we know which trauma is the biggie, then we can easily go straight to it... if we dare. If we don't... we have to go through them, one by one. I practice something called sequential homeopathy, which does the same thing... deal with the known traumas, one by one, backwards through the life time (and sometimes into past lives), systematically. In a sense, this is all preparation for the biggie, because by isolating it you are taking away its power.

Before we get to the biggie(s) it seems very frustrating. "I've been working on healing for twenty years... I'm not that different from when I started... why all this work for nothing... why can't I find the key?" We generally aren't getting to it because we are not ready -- too much energy blockage, too much fear (kind of the same thing) or perhaps addictions are in the way, or perhaps we are fighting dark force entities (again, kind of the same thing as fear & blockages).

But when you hit it......... oh man, you hit it. You KNOW when you've hit it because all of a sudden, everything changes. You feel so different that it makes you dizzy. The negative bits of your thinking are just gone, and you find yourself wondering where the heck they went and what's there now and if you are still you. The world looks and feels better, everyone else seems nicer and more lovable, things are easy that were hard before, and merely hard that were impossible. I will tell you for myself: six months ago, I would not have thought this was truly possible for me. Now, it has happened, it is not just possible, it's reality. There were two key pieces, one from this life, one from Alexander, and I tackled them both in a big way in early January. (And, yes, a person's subconscious CAN be that organized.) I won't say I'm always happy; I still have challenges and anxieties... but the darkness that used to permeate everything, the darkness of self-hate and worthlessness... is GONE.

So I think what Villoldo is doing is suggesting going straight to where the biggies, the key pieces, lie. The life in which you suffered the most has the worst trauma -- and, yes, that can heal all others related. The life in which you had the most power that you didn't use wisely is the source of the biggest karmic debt -- release that and everything else will seem small, and again, everything related will go along with it. The life in which you were wisest is the one to which you can look to be an inspiration to yourself, to say, "If I could do that then, I can do amazing things now." This all takes courage, so you have to summon it, you have to convince yourself you are both capable and worthy of it... which in itself is a struggle that can take a long time. (But of course you are -- whoever is reading this -- everyone is worthy, and everyone is capable.)

Deborah wrote:
    Knowing yourself and healing and soul progress are all one and the same. If you have all the truth about yourself, everything makes sense, and there is no reason for self-condemnation, or fear about what might be in you, or anger (which always arises from fear) -- hence -- you are healed. Being emotionally whole means not having any bits missing, i.e. anything you don't know. My spirit guides have been saying over and over to me, "Make your life make sense." It's verbal shorthand for, "remember what you have discovered that has explained everything and answered all your questions, and live in that knowledge." Because when I do that I am inwardly content. I used to say this from the intellectual standpoint -- my brain knew it was true, but not all of my heart was so sure -- now I can say it from the experiential -- all of me knows it, from having lived it. (Not saying I've reached perfection in my soul progress -- as I say, I still have challenges and anxieties -- but I've definitely had enlightenments, plural.)

My thoughts... I guess we've wandered way off the shamanic topic... hope they are helpful nonetheless.

Villoldo:
    As I work on the Alexander autobio, my guides are telling me exactly this. Thanks.

Warmly,
    Karen

14. Deborah

I am curious if anyone here has done journeying into the future.

Villoldo references the Laika Shaman and states that it isn't a matter of always going to the past. Instead, he says they see evolution as a journeying into the future to "see who we're becoming" so that we may bring that knowledge back to the present.

He then says that the Lakia believe that it is memories stored in our "luminous energy field (the karma from our former lives)" that determines our current situation. He talks about the fifth world - which is found within the higher chakras, and it is in these higher chakras that we meet our perfect and original self - in order to heal.

15. Kumoyo

Kumoyo New Member

Remembering the past

Hie Everone!!

Just a thought,

Dont you think if one cant remember, i.e. without any prompting (maybe hypnosis) then they are better off not finding out. Maybe its good for your present life that you cant remember at all!

I am a believer in reincarnation but have never had any PL experiences, so I am thinking that maybe I am better off making this life enjoyable instead of trying to remember my past lives, which could have been worse than this one.

Help me, anyone.

Kumoyo

16. Deborah

HI Kumoyo,

The bottom-line regarding past life work, is to Know Thy Self. Reflecting on who you are -where you are and why, may lead you to previous life times. Then again, maybe not. For some people past life recall comes easily. For others it's a difficult exploration. Try meditation -to clear your thoughts, feelings and emotions. Get in touch with your heart center. It sees very clearly what the mind fails to grasp. Good luck with your endeavors.

17. Deborah

I am bringing this thread back up for Aizura and or new members - the book is based on the Shamanistic approach and is well done.

18. Chansa

Chansa Senior Registered

Applying the wisdom

Hello all! :)

Lateminded as it is, thanks Deborah for creating this thread. :thumbsup: What a fascinating concept to write a book about!

KarenF, your words are inspiring and thoughtful. I want to thank you for your posts because they empower me and help me to re-examine my own truths. :)

The notion of applying shamanic wisdom not only to mending our mindbodyspiritheart rifts in this life but to all of our lives only serves to deepen my understanding of just how holistic some of our ancestors' paradigms were. I think that reclaiming some of those paradigms, whether conscious or not, is essential to true healing. It gives me a sense of peace just thinking about it. :tongue:

Anyway, I was going to start a new thread asking whether anyone had used shamanic techniques specifically to heal and mend their own past lives, especially in regards to how it translated into their present life. ;) But I found this wonderful thread :thumbsup: and thought starting a new one would be unnecessary. :D

Seeing as it's been a few months since anyone's posted extensively in this thread, I was curious if anyone read Villoldo's book and actually applied the techniques with any success? And, book or no book, has anyone applied shamanic principles to their past life search and discovered anything? If so, what sort of experiences did you have?

19. Wulfie

Wulfie Dreamer

Hi Chansa,
    I realize you posted this back in July but did you read the book or make any discoveries shamanically?

Wulfie

20. Chansa

Chansa Senior Registered

Mending the Past, Healing the Future -- Soul Retrieval

Hi Wulfie. :)

Thanks for asking! Funny, your forum name's "Wulfie." I see the Wolf a lot in meditations, shamanic-type visions, and dreams. I've seen the image of a wolf cub superimposed on my dog, Shadow, and that's why I call him "my Wolfie," interchangably. :D

Anyway, I HAVE read this Alberto Villoldo book and I love his approach. :thumbsup: Deborah's already stated some excellent underlying points in the book. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in healing their PLs and shamanism.

Though I never consciously applied some of the techniques he describes - in particular, dealing with chakras and PL healing - I strongly believe just READING about it is a great part of what shaped the spontaneous healing portion of my most recent PL experience and the shamanic-type vision nature of the entire regression. In particular, the experience I refer to is recorded in a thread I started a few months ago. I believe, in another post, you said you'd read that thread. :)

Though I'm not too personally familiar with soul retrieval and what it's "supposed" to feel like, I sense the merging of my PL daughter into my heart chakra - for both my past and present selves - was a type of soul retrieval experience.

The sense of greater unity, vibration, light, love and relief I felt afterward implies, to me, that the division we place between shamanic experiences and PL experiences is a lot hazier and more arbitrary than is often discussed - I don't see too many instances of explicitly connecting the two experiences at all and I think this is probably simply because many people aren't familiar with shamanism and just don't think to draw the two together.

However, I find that the two overlap for me rather naturally. Personally, I found it validating to explore shamanistic approaches in books and in experience - it may even be what opened the door to finally having a vivid experience of a past life. It's just one way it works for me and I do hope others will share any such PL experiences that incorporate merging and/or reflect soul retrieval as a means of PL healing. :)

Has anyone else read Mending the Past, Healing the Future by Alberto Villoldo? :)