• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

minor evidence that we do indeed plan our lives?

Kristopher

Senior Registered
Boo! :) .. back again!!! I know there's been more sightings of the Loch Ness Monster in recent times than there has been of me but you can't get rid of me, I'm always lurking about somewhere deep within the mist :D

Anyway, question time.. Scientists say that via a brain scan they can detect if a child's brain is that of a criminals, which means they see a similar brain pattern in all criminals brains. So if scientists really can tell what type of person a child is likely to be when they're older doesn't that indicate that possibly that soul has chose a brain/body that may lead a life of crime?... or, of course, a life to be good. I know we could say "what really is the true definition for good and bad?" but that's a different topic lol!

Some people may think "why on earth (see what i did there :p) would someone want to choose to be be a menace to society!?" Well... if we're born to experience different walks of life, then maybe this would be one of them? Infact it may actually be a very valuable type of lifestyle that may be recommended to us all at some point!

And I'm not exactly meaning crime as in murders or anything... just petty crime and other stuff in general. Who knows? :)

I don't think is any evidence of pre-planning. If scientists can detect 'brain patterns' in children to predict criminality (highly suspect in my view, but anyway....) what does that have to do with pre-planning?

Children who are brought up in violent homes, for instance, and have head injuries at an early age (often inflicted by their parents) are far more likely to be violent offenders. But, what does that have to say about having planned it or having the misfortune to be born into a violent home?

Is there strong evidence that the XYY chromosome leads to criminal behaviour in males? I have read about those studies, but have no idea if they are conclusive. If the theory were to hold true that we pick our parents, might that be a way to preselect a criminal lifestyle? I think XYY is an inherited characteristic. It's an interesting question, and a difficult one. Maybe the challenge for the soul would be to overcome the effects of the chromosome abnormality, or being born into a violent home? Then, free will could come into play. I agree with Tanguerra that it is difficult to accept that some children are fated to live criminal lives, and have no free will in the matter.

Once again, I think we are confusing cause and consequence here.

Kristopher said:
Anyway, question time.. Scientists say that via a brain scan they can detect if a child's brain is that of a criminals, which means they see a similar brain pattern in all criminals brains.
What is the source for this? the closest thing I could find in a serious scientific paper search is this article http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24013770 that correlates criminality with exposure to higher doses of androgens during development.

Kristopher said:
So if scientists really can tell what type of person a child is likely to be when they're older doesn't that indicate that possibly that soul has chose a brain/body that may lead a life of crime?...
Not necessarily. It makes more sense to think that is the soul itself that modifies that body! Let's use birthmarks for example since it's commonly accepted between reincarnationists. What is more likely: that the soul chooses between all the bodies in the world until they find one with the desired mark or that the soul modifies the chosen body's genes so it expresses the desired mark?

BriarRose said:
Is there strong evidence that the XYY chromosome leads to criminal behaviour in males? I have read about those studies, but have no idea if they are conclusive. If the theory were to hold true that we pick our parents, might that be a way to preselect a criminal lifestyle? I think XYY is an inherited characteristic. It's an interesting question, and a difficult one. Maybe the challenge for the soul would be to overcome the effects of the chromosome abnormality, or being born into a violent home? Then, free will could come into play. I agree with Tanguerra that it is difficult to accept that some children are fated to live criminal lives, and have no free will in the matter.
One serious research I found about it is this http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/2/1/e000650.full

Apparently,since they had a chromosomic disorder, their socioeconomic and sometimes psychological situation was not the best, therefore they commited crimes.

So it wouldn't be that the XYY genotype leads to criminal behaviour for a biological reason.

I once saw a program or news clip that said they have identified areas of the brain that control inhibitions. Criminals have different brain activity in these areas. It doesn't necessarily mean they will do certain things, just identifies tendencies.

Owl said:
What is the source for this?
It was actually on early morning British TV show a good while ago. I've been meaning to bring it up for here got a while. I had a look online though, and found this.

"There is a neuroscience basis in part to the cause of crime," Raine said.

What's more, as the study of 3-year-olds and other research have shown, many of these brain differences can be measured early on in life, long before a person might develop into actual psychopathic tendencies or commit a crime.

http://www.livescience.com/13083-criminals-brain-neuroscience-ethics.html

argonne1918 said:
I once saw a program or news clip that said they have identified areas of the brain that control inhibitions. Criminals have different brain activity in these areas. It doesn't necessarily mean they will do certain things, just identifies tendencies.
But it does show that the brain is set a certain way from birth - increasing the odds maybe? To me this shows that the brain may control and be the cause of important characters in our personality.

If we choose our paths in life by totally free will, then why would there be evidence, albeit minor, that the likelihood of our actions may already be in our brain. I do believe I have a point.

http://healthland.time.com/2013/05/07/psychopaths-callous-children-show-dysfunctional-brain-responses-to-people-in-pain/

As this story implies at the end, Nurture can offset some of this. I remember a tv show about psychopathic brains and one psychiatrist who was researching them. He told his family about his project and his mother had mentioned that they were related to the Bordens. As in "Lizzie Borden took an ax...". Anyway this psychiatrist and his family all took the brain scan and the only psychopathic looking one was his own brain. Yet he ended up studying criminals instead of being one. How? He said that he had a happy childhood. He said that in every photo of him, as a child, he was smiling. So he had a great set of parents. Apparently that made all the difference.

Cryscat said:
http://healthland.time.com/2013/05/07/psychopaths-callous-children-show-dysfunctional-brain-responses-to-people-in-pain/
I remember a tv show about psychopathic brains and one psychiatrist who was researching them. He told his family about his project and his mother had mentioned that they were related to the Bordens. As in "Lizzie Borden took an ax...". Anyway this psychiatrist and his family all took the brain scan and the only psychopathic looking one was his own brain. Yet he ended up studying criminals instead of being one. How? He said that he had a happy childhood. He said that in every photo of him, as a child, he was smiling. So he had a great set of parents. Apparently that made all the difference.
A few years ago there was a TV series on A&E/Bio called "Psychic Kids". They always took the kids and their families to places that were reported to be haunted. One episode had two girls investigate the Lizzie Borden house without knowing what it was. They had the signs and photos covered up. The girls picked up the gruesome events that happened there. Then the girls were told about Lizzie and were asked if they knew whether she was guilty. They both said she was innocent. They said the perpetrator was a male. There had been speculation for years that an uncle was involved but there was no solid evidence.

I'm about to throw this discussion for a loop. When you speak of minor criminal activity then your saying they will choose a life that is wrong to society, or wrong to the soul? There are things against the law of man, and there are things against the laws of nature! Then there are those ever contradictory laws of man saying it's ok if you do it for your country, or even worse if you do it for the government. No one will ever be able to prove this unless we all are on the same page of what is right or wrong. Personally I believe if it is against the laws of nature, then it is wrong. If it is naturally benificial to you in a good way, there is no way it could be wrong if it hurts no one, or impedes anyone's freedom in any way shape or form. The laws of man and it's contradictions are absolutly absurd.

Example- oh you can't kill anyone or you get thrown in prison. But it's ok for us to make you sit 20 years in state prison before we execute you. Oh it's ok for you to drink until your starting to throw up on people and impair you enough for you to believe you can drive like a pro. another substanance that only makes you sit in a chair consuming funions and mt dew, and enjoy your time. Oh no we can't have that now. This is the best part about it. With so much contradiction in the laws of man, how can you even go by that study at all. If you want to kill someone just join the army

That wouldn't be wrong at all. So if you want test this theory the only thing you could do is implement the law of god into the law of man, and it's simple, if it doesn't harm yourself or others in any way shape or form, it wouldn't be against the law. And verce viseah.

Lawmakers are flawed, Pyro, because they are human. I agree with your basic premise that if an action harms no one, it should be legal. However, society doesn't work in ways that are that simple. One of the problems lies in the fact that the perception of "harm" is subjective. Who gets to determine what is harmful, and what is not? Not you and I, so obeying laws is the sensible course. When laws are wrong, we have to change them as a group, and the process is unwieldy at best.

I don't get any sense that humanity will ever obtain evidence of the content of our life plan based on biological indicators.

For me, the evidence has been provided by the decisions I've made, the courses I've taken, and the opportunities I've found in living my life. While I cannot tell how close to the path I have trod, I am aware that in large part, the events I've experienced, the person I am and the talents I've developed all point to a fairly cohesive destination which is now becoming very clear. Even events, that when they occurred, I felt were serendipitous in enabling me to achieve a goal or to obtain a job or to simply take advantage of a choice opportunity are all additional evidence of a very effective plan...without even the least of which I would not be able to pursue the course I have charted for this lifetime. Guidance is now giving themselves a pat on the back! Good job, gentlemen...and ladies!

I would agree that it could be from the child being raised in a 'criminal' sort of home enviroment. That, or perhaps a child could have brain patterns associated with being a criminal carried over from a past life? Hmmm...

No doubt the patterns of things found in the brain are probably genetic, since our bodies do come from a million or more ancestors. In that pool there were probably a few criminal types who's DNA is passed down.

Just because the pattern of criminality is in the brain of a child doesn't necessarily mean he or she will become a criminal. That might be a lifetime already lived and learned from, and they have no need to relive it, and will replace it with a different experience altogether.

The perspective I get is that opportunities arise...if they are not adequately dealt with or if the subject deals with them in inappropriate ways it can appear criminal. Criminality is societally and culturally based. And there are always several points of view in dealing with each situation...not to say there weren't accurately assessed crimes involved, just that a life plan could very well include an opportunity to do things in a particular manner to allow a questionable outcome...from a human standpoint anyway...

Back