psychic talents or evolution?

Discussion in 'Parapsychology' started by Kristopher, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Kristopher

Kristopher Senior Registered

A lot of people, including myself, may have had a few weird things happen that may suggest that we all have a 'psychic talent' in us. Actually, I'm sure everyone does have these talents, some stronger than others, of course. Maybe you've started to think about someone and right away the phone rings and its the same person. Or you've had a slight idea or what someone was going to say before they said it. I'm sure everyone can relate in their own way. Can we really be sure these are supernatural gifts and not something as natural as evolution? I think its rather plausible that the human mind could be starting to change.

2. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

Some people subscribe to the theory that psychic ability has already evolved through natural selection, and that humans have let it atrophy over millennia by substituting the spoken and written word, as well as by cultural submission to organized authority. At any rate, I happen to believe that psychic ability is both natural as well as an evolved trait, despite the fact that it is also relatively rare.

There is a tendency to think that humankind is approaching some kind of stage in our evolutionary development in which psychic ability might become common. However, I tend to think that such beliefs are unfounded, and all we are really doing is witnessing a limited social revolution which is slowly releasing some of us from the constricting social, scientific and religious doctrines that heretofore prevented us from accepting the possibility of psychic phenomenon.

3. Lady2

Lady2 Senior Registered

I completely agree with you Nightrain! It's not that more people are becoming physic, it's that we as a people (hopefully) are becoming more accepting of it, therefore more people are talking about what they otherwise would have kept quiet.

Kristopher, I know that I OFTEN know when the phones going to ring before it does. Sometimes I have a question pop in my head that someone might ask me - later that person is talking to me and they ask the exact same question! Not always, but it's definitely been happening more recently, as often as every other day, for whatever reason.

4. Susie

Susie Dreamer-former moderator

I believe that psychic abilities are as natural as breathing, sleeping, and anything else we do in life. I think more people today are willing to admit than they have ever been to admit they have psychic experiences. I think it is people's awareness that evolves, not the occurrence of psychic experiences themselves.

5. Ignotus

Ignotus Senior Registered

It happens... There are some times where I can do those stuff but most of the times I can't do it. Not counting the times where I tried to summon the force to get my TV remote... : angel

Anyways, I think psychic abilities do come straight from your soul. I think your soul is like a special type of energy contained inside your body. I don't think your body can control it at times and it'll release those energies out. But some people has learned to control that ability (As Chi-gong practitioners do..) and able to do it.

But that's just my opinion...

6. Kapitan

Kapitan Probationary

I too agree with this - and censorship and the groupthink that is often behind it, is never a good thing. Because others cannot learn with these sorts of things in place.

7. Shiftkitty

Shiftkitty Registered User

Curiously, I was just thinking of this sort of thing this morning. I was in a program when I was in grade school where we did all kinds of nifty things. (Some "class", only four of us qualified for it.) One of the things they did was the Zener cards. Our scores started abyssmally low, but over the course of two years we scored far more hits than misses, well above the ratio allowed for chance.

Then the funding got cut and they tried to stick us in some UN-funded mind-press. We rebelled and left the program, all four of us. The new program sucked. Too regimented, no room for individual creativity, it was all about "read, memorize, recite." (And no questioning the program...) Kind of like what the modern schools have devolved into.

8. Kapitan

Kapitan Probationary

As far as Groupthink is concerned, I cannot speak of it where it concerns education as I haven't been down that road - but it is certainly alive and well within spiritual communities.

Just saying from experience.

9. Truthseeker

Truthseeker Former Moderator

I think that psychic ablility is something we all have access to. To varying degrees? Yes, but it's available to all of us. How strong it is within us could be something we cultivate over many lifetimes. Plus I'm sure that our social environment influences greatly how open we are to it. If we close that channel off due to fear, doubt, or disbelief, then obviously the broadcast signal is not going to be strong. So many people out there have such a negative association with even the word 'psychic' that very few people are going to be willing to share even if they are having experiences.

I now recognize that I've been having memory triggers to past lives, deja vu moments, bizarre coincidences, and gut feelings with absolutely no basis in reality that turned out to be right for many years before I ever came to this forum, but I've never, and still rarely ever tell anyone about any of it. I don't want anyone to think I'm crazy or weird so I just keep my mouth shut. I can't help but wonder how many people there are out there that are just like me. How many if I told them they would say "oh my god, me too!"

10. Lady2

Lady2 Senior Registered

Good point Truthseeker! There are many people who are afraid to talk about it. I've often wondered the same thing, how many others also have experiences like you...But when you're together, with even closer friends - neither of you 'go there'.

I guess that goes to show just how comfortable we all are with each other on this forum! :thumbsup:

11. Kapitan

Kapitan Probationary

I agree with Truthseeker and I think he brought up a very good point with regards to one's environment.

In my situation, I live in a small rural town (around 5,000 people) that has, and I have counted in the phone book out of curiosity, 22 churches - all various Christian denominations.

That certainly does NOT help for someone who is in my situation...so my only other resort is connecting with people online. But I've met the bad side of online communications since you don't really get to fully know another through a computer screen...you just get 'bits and pieces'...never the full picture. So, out of this comes the nasty stuff - accusations, being called a 'liar', etc. Although, those who accuse me of being a liar don't understand that all of this is subjective and that even in my case I didn't have a total understanding as to what the heck was going on with me - and that my 'truth' as I knew it, changed over time because I got a clearer understanding as to what had happened with me and why it had happened. This not being able to physically be with another to get a better understanding of what is going on is one of the biggest problems of online vs offline communications.

I recently came across a quote this morning and I totally agree with it, based upon what I've experienced throughout the years since my experience:

"most people are afraid of anything 'alien' to their perspective as it means they are wrong or what they see or believe is wrong."

12. Truthseeker

Truthseeker Former Moderator

Beliefs are such a touchy subject with people. The easiest way to ruffle someone's feathers is to challenge their beliefs. But beliefs are nothing more than that, "beliefs." It's doesn't make them right or wrong, it's just our interpretation of reality based upon our environmental influences and life experiences. Two people can be looking at the same person, one sees a friend, the other sees an enemy. It's the same person but two totally different beliefs about that person.

Let's see, where was I going with this? Oh yeah :D I was raised Catholic and there was a time when I was following Church dogma to the letter. That was my belief set, and if you would have told me then what I believe now I would have told you that you were crazy. Even now I admit that whenever someone is referred to as psychic it starts throwing up red flags in my mind. That old programming of anyone who claims to be psychic is conning people kicks in. Not that those people don't exist, but I try to be more open minded. Still, socially it's just easier to toe the line with standard beliefs in Western culture, at least outwardly.

13. Kapitan

Kapitan Probationary

I agree and I think the key thing to keep in mind is that part about 'right and wrong'. I think this is often overlooked.

The body I came into had a Catholic upbringing and that clashed with the psychic sensitivity - so there is inner conflict #1 that I had to settle. Then there was also the next inner conflict which was experiencing something I knew nothing about and that whole world (what the body originally learned about reincarnation and such...things like 'Karma', etc.) came crashing down. So there were literally two phases of destruction - the first dealing with the stuff regarding Christianity and then the second regarding the 'traditional beliefs' pertaining to reincarnation.

Two phases - two whole paradigms destroyed and a whole new paradigm established.

Let's just say...it has NOT been easy.