Speaking our truths

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Tinkerman, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

Good morning.

Have you ever thought about how you would present your reincarnation beliefs to the world?

This morning I was watching a Ted video by performance poet Sarah Kay, a gifted young woman with a vigorous soul and so much to say. Near the end she spoke about reincarnation in such a perfect way, positive and matter of fact. Refreshing. Inspiring.

When you have some time give it a listen, it is called Sarah Kay: If I Should Have a Daughter, make sure you listen all the way to the end.

I wonder how many of us feel so strongly in our past lives that we would stand up in front of a crowd like that and speak it as truth. I think I would...

Tman

2. Totoro

Totoro Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

It's interesting that you posted this as I'm grappling with that question right now. While it may not lead directly to standing in front of a crowd, I've been inspired to write a book about my own experiences.

I had a moral quandary with doing it for quite a while though. Mainly it stems from the status of my previous life and that I don't want attention because of it. But I've also had it shown to me by other members that there's value in documenting your experiences so that others may learn from them.

I mainly set out to do that by keeping a journal of my research and experiences. But again, I feel conflicted because there's also historical events I want to voice my opinion on and I also want to pass on a message of hope, peace, love and understanding. And it's just not as easy for me to stand up and say "yes I believe in reincarnation".

I feel though, in the long run by publishing a book, it's worth doing if it means something to just one person. It's something overall though that for me, is going to take some getting used to.

But I think though, as you've commented on her matter of fact tone, that's the way to do it. I've presented my research, the conclusions I've drawn from it and what it has mean to my life, so here you go.

At least, that's the way I am approaching the book as well.

3. Mama2HRB

Mama2HRB Senior member

Totoro,

I have written three books, fiction based on fact. They were such personal experiences to write but at the same time extremely therapeutic.

One of the three has been shelved for years. It simply is too personal to publish. The others will be published.

I say go for it, you will be happy you did. And I would love to read it when it is done.

4. Totoro

Mama2HRB,

Thank you for your encouragement! I've been writing children's mysteries and suspense books for the last year (which is something I've always wanted to do) and there is something very personally enriching about the experience.

I agree with you too, in writing it from beginning to end, it's good therapy. I'm actually knee deep in it right now as I'm trying to get most of the major work done on it before school starts again in fall. I've already decided to just go ahead and do it and just get used to the whole "putting it out there" thing later..

A big part of the reason I'm doing it is because when I started making ground on my research, everything just came crashing down around me and that's how I found the forum. I didn't know what it all meant and I had this feeling like I didn't want to be alone with it. And just from being here, I've learned and been helped so much and if I can pass that on, it's all worth it :angel:

Once its available, I'll figure out a way to let you all know. :thumbsup: Thanks again :laugh:

5. Lady2

Lady2 Senior Registered

Wow.....Thank you for posting that Tman! :thumbsup:

6. Mama2HRB

Mama2HRB Senior member

You are welcome, Totoro. I would love to read the books when done. :thumbsup:

7. Owl

Owl Super-alt Mitglied

I wouldn' t present my reincarnations beliefs to the world except I can back them up with biological facts and I' m able to explain scientifically how it works, which I hope someday I can. Otherwise I don' t feel it would be as convincing and people will consider it just a belief. And it' s not, it' s not only a "belief" or maybe as much as a belief as that we breathe because of a game of pressures between the intrapleural space and the lungs. Right now we' re only seeing the result "We have past life memories", that would be analogous to "We see the chest moving up and down when we breathe". Once we get the biological part figured out then the world will finally start moving on. I think that' s where we should concentrate all our efforts, in proving the mechanisms of the soul with the scientific method (and the existence of the soul).

8. hydrolad

hydrolad Senior Moderator Super Moderator

I too write stories for various reasons, when I had to retire several years ago due to illness, I wrote out of boredom and to pass the time, now with Arthritis in my hands, I write to keep my hands from freezing up and to keep what little mind I still have active!!!

Generally I write articles related to my previous career, but also write short stories and short novels for my amusement, I studied Journalism and Creative Writing in school and when I’m asked to, I can “pound” out a story if I'm given the details needed to “mesh” it out!!! :)

9. usetawuz

usetawuz Senior Registered

How do you use material research techniques which require material proof to prove (or disprove) the existence and mechanism of an immaterial soul? To me, science is theory based on observation and modified with new or reinterpreted observation. I do not believe we will ever obtain "scientific proof" of something that can only be "felt" as truth. With that said, the experiences humanity gains and processes with an open mind may provide all the non-scientific proof needed to enable reincarnation and the existence of the soul to become a given.

As for speaking "our truths" regarding reincarnation, when the topic has come up I have not hesitated to discuss the possibilities, and when my comments have been accepted with interest I have, at times, waxed on for hours. I can see speaking to a group of those who have encountered truths of their own, like a meeting of members here. I am not sure I would be comfortable among those who are critical and derisive...like some in my social circle ("have you talked to the devil?" or "what if you come back as a cockroach?!" or "you're going to hell!" and other nonsense). Like Totoro and Mama, I have begun a book describing my personal travels through this topic and what brought me to my current place, but I have no real expectation of publishing...at least at this point.

10. Alexius

Alexius New Member

I might venture this: Did anyone say; "career suicide"? (Unless of course the intention is to make a career out of lecturing on the subject of reincarnation...which is a bit...New Agey - and certainly 'suspect' to many scientists). It may be all well and good for some but to even begin to approach this issue without being accused of lacking a sound mind and integrity of reason...is arduous at best.

I have no idea who to tell or how to tell it, other than to locate and join a community (such as this one) in which I might receive a little tolerance for my taboo insights.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2012
  11. Mama2HRB

Mama2HRB Senior member

During my recent job search both my mom and sister questioned if I had anything on my SNS page or otherwise that could identify my beliefs in reincarnation and my discussions of talking with the dead.

I assured them that those discussions stay here and two other sites where I feel they are relatively safe. I am sure if anyone did research they could discover my identity but it would not be so easy if one was searching by my name.

That said, however, a search of "my name" brings up many hits, all me, thanks to my local and other business works. So much for hiding, lol.

12. Totoro

I picked a different user name for this forum that I usually use online and I don't make mention of it publicly.

I think overall, much as religion should be, it's a personal thing and if you're discussing it with people that are open to it, great, but if not, no biggie. There's no need to force it on anyone, I don't think.

But as far as youtube or books go, as long as you're not claiming something that wouldn't be beyond reproach, you'd have to ask the one complaining, why are you reading / watching this in the first place?