• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

What are you reading?

College Student papers, emails, discussions, UGH. I did however purchase a new reincarnation book that looks promising - The Past Life Perspective - Discovering your true nature across multiple life times. By Ann C. Barham.

I wonder if my library is as large as another one is becoming, I'm still buying them despite being sure that I'm unable to read them. I think that I'm doing this for Terri Lyn or a library with a neighbor that has books that her deceased mother left behind, or the Public library who would probably put them in the "New Age" section to be culled, traded, or trashed.

Also a reader of many books at once...

Home With God in a Life That Never Ends, A Different Mirror, The Power of Now, Eat Pray Love...

There is also plenty of reading required for school, all of which is interesting since I'm doing something that I love!!
Hi Lauren. "Home with God" is one of my favourite books! It covers so much ground, and I love the format of Neale's books in which God is as if put on the spot- required to answer whatever Neale asks! God speaks so very well for Herself in these books! Funny and Friendly, for sure! Once upon a time, " God" was an insurmountable proposition for me. Not so much these days.

It's long since I left off reading books - now I only listen to audio-books by a small walkman and whenever I have time to lose (on a long road, waiting for my dentist etc.).

Almost always science-fiction or classics (Dostoevski, Maupassant, Remarque, Wells, Steinbeck, Marquez, Amado, Llosa, Michael Newton...).

Right now I've just begun to listen to Vernor Vinge's "A fire upon the deep" the first part out of 3 parts about 7 hours each.
Almost always in Spanish or Italian; or in English, French or Portuguese if I couldn't find it in the first two languages.

Last edited:
Cyrus, your, and other's, multi-language knowledge humbles me, just saying.

Sorry, if that disturbs you, Ken.

But take into account, that in my case all those languages are, basically, based on Latin.

So, 75% of all English words are of Latin origin, though English is considered a Germanic language !!!

It would be much harder for me to learn German or Greek, than, say, Romanian, to say nothing of learning some non-European language, like Hungarian or Turkish.

As a friend of mine said once (he's from Portugal): "O espanhol e' apenas o portugue's mal falado" [Spanish is only a badly spoken Portuguese] !!!

I took Latin in high-school but it did not interest me as much as girls, math, sports, and geology. I found that I could maintain good grades without taking any home-work home (wishing now that I did).

I took Latin in high-school but it did not interest me as much as girls, math, sports, and geology. I found that I could maintain good grades without taking any home-work home (wishing now that I did).

For me, Spanish is a good substitute for Latin. Pure classical Latin is much more different from, say, Italian, than Spanish. And besides, it's unnecessarily more complex.
The modern Latin-based languages were formed from a very simplified (vulgar) Latin, and besides, all of them (except Romanian, maybe) were moderately Germanized.

Actually there is only need for one language. The language of LOVE, which is universal, and also God's preferred mode of communication. Love is all! However, not everyone really understands this universal language, and therefore knowledge with other languages comes in handy.

The best thing about being bi-lingual, or multi-lingual, is that we can come to terms with the truth that words are just that, words. Our actions and reactions are the same in any language. And although there are as many different words for love as there are languages, there is only one God and only one way of saying I love you. Love is eternally ours.

But seriously, there are some advantages in knowing more than one language. One is that some great people have written in a language that is not our own, and although great writers always find a willing translator or two, there is no substitute for reading in the original. That way the "middle man" is taken out of the meaning, and perhaps, if we grasp the foreign language well, we also get all the little nuances, which may hold the key to understanding the true meaning and intent of the author. Some languages are better adapted than others at expressing certain sentiments. I have heard arguments that a romantic exchange between two enamored souls sounds more romantic in Italian or French. Perhaps it's in the accent.

This Christmas one of my daughters gave me, as a gift, a book; Leadership in Turbulent Times, by Doris Kearns Goodwin. I'm looking forward to reading it, since it seems that the current US political situation is in turbulent times, and we need more love than hate with our divide.

I have two life-long companions...
One is from wahiduddins website and the bowl of saki, wisdom shared by Hazrat Inayat Khan found here
https://wahiduddin.net/saki/saki_date.php

and the other is God Talks With Arjuna The Bhagavad Gita Royal Science of God-Realization by Paramahansa Yogananda
after reading Autobiography of a Yogi I am extremely impressed by the poetic truths expounded by Yogananda

my upcoming book is
Nobody, Son of Nobody
Poems of Shaikh Abu-Saeed Abiel-Kheir
Here it is for free,
51RvsBvolxL._SY346_.jpg

https://hohmpress.com/free-download...e-downloads/12052016-Nobody-Son-Of-Nobody.pdf

I hope one day to also get my hands on Doorkeepers of the Heart: Versions of Rabi'a
Rabi'a al-' Adawiyya who writes poems like,

"I have two ways of loving You:
A selfish one
And another way that is worthy of You.
In my selfish love, I remember You and You alone.
In that other love, You lift the veil
And let me feast my eyes on Your Living Face."

Last edited:
Back