• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

When I lived with God

S

Samityna

I just got done watching a television documentary on A&E called Beyond Death which I found very fascinating! They did a segment on reincarnation and children and interviewed Carol Browning who gave her website.

Anyway, I just finished reading quite a few of these posts, I started thinking of the conversations that I've had with my son, Tyler who is now 6 1/2. Ironically, thinking back, all of these conversations took place in the car, when it was usually just the two of us. Sometimes my younger son, Nathan (now 2 1/2) was along, but never my husband. He would talk to me about the time before he was in my tummy and he lived with God. He said Nathan was there, but he was still a baby and he would hold Nathan. He told me that he told Nathan that God would take care of him until it was his turn to be born. He has never talked about specific occurances of past lives, just this conversation of when he lived with God. I always blew it off as an overactive imagination but I don't know, especially after reading some of your stories! As much as I don't want to believe in reincarnation, I can't shake the feeling that it has some truth to it because of the experiences I've had. I'm Christian and I was brought up believing that there is life after death in the Kingdom of God, so therefore, how can you be reincarnated if you are supposed to live out Eternity in His Kingdom?

When I was in my early 20's (I'm now 28) I was going through some very rough times. I was having dreams of my past lives and seeing many spirits. This was before I turned to Christianity. I remember having dreams of being tied to a stake in a flowing white gown while having rocks thrown at me. I remember smelling the burning wood around my feet. I don't know where this happened or when, but I remember being accused of Witch Craft.

Anyway, any thoughts and ideas would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!
Sarah

I'm sorry.. the person that was interviewed on the television show was Carol Bowman, not Browning. I'm so sorry to have gotten your name wrong!

Feeling like a bit of a dolt!

Sarah

One morning,when my son was about 4 (he is now 25), I was tying his shoes before we left for day care. He looked up at me and out of the blue said, "Remember when I was big before? Remember when I died?" I didn't thnik much about it at the time, but over the years as my reading has included much of the NDE/reincarnation material, I have recalled his comments. Perhaps more imnportantly, I remembered them. He, however, does not. The notion of reincarnation is intriguing, except for the withering fact that you not only have to repeat public education, but you also have to look for another job! Hopefully, I will have learned enough this time around to avoid both of those unfortunate prospects!

Well, John, if you do have to come back, just make sure you choose really wealthy parents who will put you in private school, and give you access to your trust fund as soon as you turn 21! *smile*

Sunday

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to the forum. If you just click on that little picture of a pencil and paper next to the time above your post, you can correct anything you want in your post at any time, or delete a post altogether.

Sunday

Thanks, Sunday! I had done that but when I wrote that post, I was an unregistered member and didn't have a password so it wouldn't let me do that! Since then, I've registered (obviously!)

Sarah

You know, early Christians believed in reincarnation. It was even taught by Christ.
After the council at Constentinople in 522 AD, reincarnation was purposly, and for purly politcal purposes, taken out of The Bible. Although, references of it still remain.

Example:

"Who sinned, this man or his parents that he should be born blind?" (John 9:2-3) - How could this man have sinned in order to be "born blind" unless it was in a previous life and he was karmically experincing the mistakes made in a previous experience?

"For all prophets and the law prophesied until John. And if ye will receive it, this is Elias which was for to come. He that hath ears to hear let him hear." (Matt. 11:13-14)
Jesus said here that Elias came back as the man known as John the Baptist.

This is repeated or confirmed in Math. 17:12: "But I say unto you that Elias is come already and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also the son of man suffer of them. The disciples understood that he spake unto them of John the Baptist. "

And another:

"whom do ye say that I am?" (Math.16:15), And the answer of Simon that he is the Christ, the son of the Living God, that nothing else matters, pleases Christ who immediately makes him the corner-stone of his church. The point is, it does not matter what we have been in the past. To try to find that out shows rather our clinging to the personality. The doctrine of reincarnation is only important in so far as it teaches us that we are given many opportunities on this earth to perfect ourselves and grow in awareness of our Oneness with God.

To All,
The 'early Christians' believed in reincarnation because they were Jews. Jewish mystical teachings (Kabbalah) allow for a choice to reincarnate (two reasons: the average Jew could earn a greater share of Olam-Ba-Ha through living another more righteous life or an enlightened soul could reincarnate to teach others of the benefits of keeping all 613 commandments).

However, a Jew would not be taught from the Kabbalah until middle aged. Not that they wouldn't have had some clues from the Torah (the first five books of the Old Testament).
Jewish beliefs don't involve karma.

Christian beliefs are very much like the Jewish for obvious reasons but you'd have to take 'Satan' and all references completely out of the picture until the concept was actually added throughout the Christian Bible during midevil times. Most references including entire books were removed while others were added as well as individual passages (removed, ammended, added).

A big part of the problem is that the straight Christian belief was too simplistic and really lacked any concept of personal responsibility for one's actions. You could literally live any lifestyle you liked and simply repudiate it, "I was bad. I'm sorry.".
Catholicism tried to add a great deal more responsibility and morality to people's behavior and a threat for those who didn't truly repent, by dressing up the Jewish concept of Gehinnom (Gehenna in Yiddish), producing the Christian concept of Hell.

Many Christians assume that Gehinnom is the Jewish version of the Christian hell. Ummm...no, it isn't at all. Olam-Ha-Ba, however, is almost identical. Jews have always believed, according to the prophecy, that a messiah would come and would make the earth over, the World to Come (Olam-Ha-Ba) and that it would open to ALL righteous peoples of EVERY faith. The fact that Jesus
didn't fullfill the prophecies, in Jewish eyes, means he wasn't the messiah according to the prophecies but a false prophet as they were warned to ignore.

However, Christians (having started out as a Jewish movement) believe in a Second Coming while Jews are still waiting for the first,
when the messiah (of either) will make the earth new for all righteous souls.

One question is why did some Jews accept Jesus? Many abandoned him when he told them he would not institute Olam-Ha-Ba (not to mention a few other prophecies). Jesus told his disciples that he would return and fulfill these prophecies. When asked how much longer they'd have to wait, how long before he returned, Jesus claimed it would happen BEFORE the last of them died. He also said it would happen when Jerusalem fell for the seventh time (or before, I'm not sure). Seven was a very important number to Jews. This is according to passages remaining in the Christian Bible of today. Didn't happen.

From my point of view, it doesn't matter what you believe, what religion you embrace. If you feel that it helps you to lead a better life, to become a better person, and you are striving to live according to those beliefs, that is all that really matters.

Kat

I totally agree, Kat.

Find the method which most enables you to manifes love in the life of others and EMRBACE it.

Memories of an Intermission Period/NDEs
----------------------------------------
I'm a Dutch reincarnation researcher who is working at a first comparison of Near Death Experiences and Memories of an Intermission Period (MIPs) between two lives.
I think at least some of the experiences are suitable "material" for my survey. Can anyone please supply me with similar testimonies?
There is an important implication to be drawn from the comparison of NDEs and MIPs: the more similar they seem, the more difficult it will become to explain them away as merely the result of biological or psychological malfunctioning.

Titus Rivas (titusrivas@hotmail.com)
Darrenhof 9
6533 RT Nijmegen
The Netherlands

Hi Samityna,
PeterV is absolutely right,all references to reincarnation were removed from the Bible.
I hope you find a way to embrace the belief of reincarnation and your Christian beliefs, they can go hand and hand.Once we have learned everything we need,which takes many lives,we then spend eternity with God. Every life and the lessons learned take us closer to that goal.
What a wonderful experience you had with your child.He will forget what he said,but you never will. My son told me a very detailed account of a past life when he was 41/2 and he doesn't remember any or it now.He also made references to heaven when he was younger and has a very good attitude about death,but says he remembers nothing about heaven anymore.
If you are interested in learning more about reincarnation Carol's book "Children's Past Lives" is wonderful.Also "Many Lives,Many Master" by Brian Weiss.
I wish you love and light on your journey.
DianeE

Dear Sarah and DianeE,

Can you both please be more specific about your child's references to "heaven"?

I would really appreciate that, and I think I'm not the only one!

Titus Rivas

Do you think maybe, when Jesus said that he would retrurn before they all died, he was referring to future lives? Since we all believe in reincarnation here, wouldn't that be possible, that they will all be reincarnated at the time he returns?

The 7th fall of Jerusalem, well, Isreal is at war now, and has been for many years, so, I wouldn't discredit it.

Of course, I am Catholic, and I do believe in Jesus, so I'm just defending what I beleive here.

I also think that Christianity discredited reincarnation BECAUSE it was a Jewish belief.

Back