20th century New York

Discussion in 'Past Life Memories' started by Lila P, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Lila P

Lila P Member

I have some fragmented information about two lives, both take place in the United States. In the first one, I was in New York in the 1920´s in front of a furniture store. I saw the owner´s name, Paternak. I obviously had something to do with this person.

In another dream I was in the middle of nowhere - but obviously in some southern state of the USA in the 1950´s. I was worried about writings on the walls of a certain house - the texts were written there by chicken blood. This is very little information, but by other ways I´ve found out who I probably was.

I put these two lives in the same post, because I think they explain one of my biggest this-life phobias: that is getting married and have children. How spooky. :eek:

Quite recently I convinced myself, that I must have used the typewriter before. In this life, I learned to use it really quickly - and believe me, because I took typing lessons at school, I could compare my progress with the others. This is a fairly modern skill, so practically the only chance was, that I learned in New York in the early 20th C. In that later life I did something else.

After doing some research, I found out that in those days typewriters were mostly used by women and typing jobs offered them a honorable way of making a living. However, some authors seemed to be quite worried about these women, because they didn´t necessarily show much interest to get married and have children. Here is an article about the Type-Writer Girls:
    http://www.edwardianpromenade.com/occupations/the-type-writer-girl/

I particularly love this part:

This description could be about me, especially when I was younger. :D

So, it´s highly likely that I was an early prototype of an emancipated lady in New York.

I must have reborn to the next life not later than in 1940. Other people seem to remember me better than I do myself, but because of my this-life experiences, I can accept what they have seen. So, I´ve probably been a very obese African-American woman, possibly slightly mentally challenged. At first I lived in the South, got married and had a daughter, who now is Karoliina from this forum. My husband was very abusive - probably a psychopath - and I escaped him with my daughter to New York. I died later in the hospital, but I´m not sure what were the reasons I had to go there. There is a chance that my husband found us and was hungry for revenge. At least some men had come to our home and they had threatened my daughter. Anyway, the whole life was filled with domestic violence.

At this point it should be quite clear why I avoid marriage: there is need for independence and at the same time fear of abusive people. And believe me, in this life I´ve been quite career-oriented, but I´ve also had my share of abusive men. :mad: Reruns, reruns...

2. tanguerra

tanguerra Moderator Emeritus

Gosh LilaP. Have you spoken with Karolina about this?

Are you familiar with Voodoo as practised in New Orleans? There are all sorts of things done with chickens and chicken blood in their ceremonies.

Various other African religious practices also persisted in the South wherever the slaves were sent (probably still do for all I know) often also involving unfortunate chickens. Do you have any idea whereabouts in the South? Was it out in the country or a city for instance?

Interested if you dig up any more.

3. Lila P

Lila P Member

Yes, Karoliina knows the story. Of course, she has her own memories, but she also remembers a lot about her mother, father and grandparents. We probably lived in one of the Carolinas or in Georgia.

I have long suspected that I may have been familiar with voodoo-practicises in PLs, but I just didn´t know when. Since I´ve visited New Orleans in this life (and I have to say that I loved the South) I could easily see, that these practices were very much alive in there.

I was still quite surprised that I found signs of voodoo from the very recent PL. I have to say that in my dream I wasn´t happy at all to see all that chicken blood around. I understood it so that by this ceremony the house owner was cursed.

4. tanguerra

Oh it still goes on I believe. Probably less so than 50 years ago, but all the same. Most interesting.

I remember this life when I learned to type and it was quite a long and difficult process. I don't think I did any typing in my past life, but I do remember loving the movies of the 1930-40s and staying home from school (pretending to be sick) so I could watch them. I used to like the musicals best, but I also liked the ones about career girls working in offices (something I think I aspired to in my last life - to have an honest job) and I certainly made sure I learned the skills early so that I would always have work, which was a good move.

Let us know if you get any more details. It is good that you are seeing the patterns, so that now you know what to do to break them, or at least where the problems are.

5. Lila P

Lila P Member

A little detail: I hate talking to the phone and there is no rational explanation for that. I want to keep my phone calls really brief and just keep strictly in business.

If this "phobia" is PL-related, it has obviously began in one of these PLs described in this thread.

6. Skarphedinn

Skarphedinn Member

Modern skills and past lives

Hail to you, Lila.

Are you sure your skills of typing comes from a past life of yours?

I have thought it over how much it is required to have a past life with a certain skill to be talented in this life, or how much one can do for it in the here and now. I need more experience on the matter by others for I have concluded that PL experience is useful, but one can do pretty much to develop talent by practice and enthusiasm. Well, I have to admit, it is a really good trace to suspect PL activity if one is talented from the beginning with no proven present life experience and keeps on practicing with commitment and enthusiasm.

I have also asked myself what the matter is concerning skills with the latest and most modern technology, because that is more than sure it cannot be originated from a past life - that kind of modern technology simply didn't exist a few years ago. Should we suppose PL activity and talent in a similar field applied to the most modern technology in the present? Or he developed it just in a few years? If we base our presumption on cognitive psychological researches concerning talent and learning, it seems more likely that similar know-how experience can be applied upon newer fields. However, I am curious, what you think of this matter and what have you experienced.

Skarphedinn

7. Lila P

Lila P Member

Hail to you, Skaphedinn! :)

I can´t be positive that my typing skill are PL related, but I´m at least 99% sure of that.

I still remember when I started the typing lessons and after been amazed for a lesson or two, I got this aha-experience. It was just like remembering something. After this, the teaching was too slow for me. My mother is a journalist and we had a typewriter at home, so I practiced with that for two-three weeks. It didn´t take long for me to achieve the typing speed and conscienctiousness of a professional secretary. So, all together this process took about a month. It was after the first typing test when I noticed how much the others struggled with the typewriter.

It is hard to say how much PL-related modern skills are. For example, my big brother has always been interested in radio waves. This was so from very early age. Nothing has changed, his profession is very much connected to radio waves. However, I do think that in a PL he may have been familiar with telegraphing or perhaps he was just curious about early radios and how they work. At least in this life he built his first radio (and it was actually working) at the age of 13.

I guess that pure enthusiasm towards something is not a sign that you´ve done that in a PL. Perhaps you were just familiar with the issue in question and got interested. However, if you quickly learn something with no or minor guidance, I could guess that you´ve done at least something that resembles that skill.

8. Lila P

Lila P Member

More about modern skill...

Now that you reminded me, Skephardinn, I´ve dedicated my past 20 years to genetics. This is a fairly modern field of science and the basis were developed by Charles Darwin and Gregor Mendel in the late 19th C. However, I think that if I wasn´t one of these guys :rolleyes: , at least I´ve been familiar with their theories and perhaps read Darwin´s book about evolution, because I remember thinking about it at very early age. I was particularly interested in the evolution of Man. At school the Laws of Mendel were really easy for me.

Once I talked to a collague and he had noticed that some people just seem to instantly understand these theories while others keep on struggling with them. But they are easy for a person who has skill for logical thinking. There are certain rules and after you´ve memorized them, you play with them.

So what´s the conclusion? A good gambler (I don´t mean games based on luck) would be a great scientist in the next life?:laugh: Not necessarily very far from truth.

I have to say that my interest in evolution has transformed a little bit. I´m not so into the physical evolution anymore. Spiritual evolution, that´s something...

9. Skarphedinn

Skarphedinn Member

Do you work on a field related to genetics? That's nice. I think there is an extremely low probability that you have ever been one of these guys, but it's not the specific theory that can be remembered, but the similarity of the possessed cognitive schemes. For example I read the book about special and general relativity theory by Einstein at the age of 13, never presuming I had been Einstein. I simply liked the courage to break away from the usual patterns, which he did, and enjoyed that field of science. One couldn't have been all the famous scientist for the simpathy for their theories. In these examples just the theory was new, not the type of skill.

Actually if a good gambler wants a deeper understanding, he can be a good scientist - at least at game theory, once he applies its theory in practice... Even in this life. Death doesn't make one automatically smarter.

Skarphedinn

10. Lila P

Lila P Member

Yes, genetics is my professional field. Got my PhD 3 years ago. Most of my career I´ve worked in cancer research.

I don´t think either that I was Darwin or Mendel in my PL, but I´m pretty sure that I´ve done some kind of research before. My intuition says that the field may have been criminal investigation, but so far there is no hard proof of that. Just my hunch.

BTW: I´ve also read some of Einstein´s works and I love them. Actually I think that his famous equation E=mc2 is very interesting in a metaphysical sense.

11. Lila P

Lila P Member

Back to the 20´s...

Obviously I was familiar with public transportation. How important. :rolleyes: A picture of a streetcar/subway(?) I saw last night in a dream:

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?7935

12. Skarphedinn

Skarphedinn Member

Well, that's nice to hear, that you are working in a scientific field, especially if the fact is known, that you are still interested in spiritual affairs. Most of the people doing scientific work simply don't dare going behind the official paradigm. You do, and be proud of that. Have you ever thought of connecting science and metaphysical researches professionally? Just like Grof, renowned researcher of altered states of mind.

I have also wondered how you could have been an applier of such modern science - I mean criminal investigation with the aid of genetics - while you were a secretary in New York. Or are two aspects of a certain life? Or one still needs further verification. I am curious about further details.

Then I was rather interested in physical aspects of Einstein's works, but it can have metaphysical applications as well. Fritjof Capra deals with connections between Eastern religions and modern science, also an extremely interesting research field.

Skarphedinn

13. tanguerra

There is a thread or two on child prodigies you may find interesting in regard to this.

I must agree with Lila. I learned to type this life. I am usually quite quick at picking things up and I was quicker than some others, but even so it certainly took more than a few weeks to get my speed up to anything like a professional speed. More like a few months.

On the other hand the first time I sat on a horse, picked up a javelin and aimed a bow and arrow (at school camp) I knew I had done that before. I just remembered doing it and it felt completely natural.

14. Obie

Obie Senior Registered

Lila P, I was wondering have you met Karollina from the forums in your every day life since you both are from Finland and were mother and daughter in a PL. Its strange how you both chose to come back to the same region from an american PL. Did you guys feel any sort of connection to one another when you saw each other on the forum? This is fascinating how people's PLs are overlapping on this forum. I wonder if this will happen to me any time soon.

15. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

Obie,

We met originally with Lila on a Finnish astrology forum, and have never met IRL. :)

Karoliina

16. Lila P

Lila P Member

Yes, that´s how we know each other. I did feel connected, but it was Karoliina´s hunch that there might be shared PLs. I accepted this African-American woman as a PL after having my little dream about the 1950´s South (Karoliina was around at the same time) and when it turned out that a person I know IRL remembered me as a very obese woman. I think that he spontaneously saw 3-4 of my PL personas.

I also think that I´m connected to Karoliina´s daughter as well, at least I felt very strongly about her pregnancy. There was obviously some kind of pre-birth communication in this case. And this doesn´t happen with every pregnant lady I know. :D (actually Stella informed about herself before Karoliina was even pregnant).

As far as I know, Stella also lived in New York in the 1940´s. I think there might be even some threads about her in this forum. It´s possible that we knew then, but I don´t know what the relationship was between us.

17. hedpe9999

hedpe9999 New Member

"Now that you reminded me, Skephardinn, I´ve dedicated my past 20 years to genetics. This is a fairly modern field of science and the basis were developed by Charles Darwin and Gregor Mendel in the late 19th C."

I'm not trying to start an argument but Darwin didn't know anything about genetics. The mathematicians Haldane, Fisher, and Wright used Mendel's ideas to set the table for the Neo-Darwinian synthesis.

Out of curiousity, how do you square "reincarnation" with Darwinism. The whole point of Darwinian theory is to get rid of any form of vitalism. Hint: "Reincarnation" is a form of vitalism, to say the least.

18. Skarphedinn

Skarphedinn Member

Now, you have already started an argument, and what to say, I agree with you. Darwin didn't know anything of genetics, as well as Lorenz didn't know anything about theory of relativity, although his trasformations are involved therein.

The Darwinian approach is not wrong basically, but it's a bit obsolete, so today's science of evolution has little to do with the original conception. For example - as far as I know - Darwin made the species the basic unit of selection, and now it's more accepted to presume it is the gene. No wonder Darwin thought it in a different way, for gene wasn't even discovered in his lifetime (and he was no Nostradamus).

Skarphedinn