• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

9/11 baby - Discussion of the baby rn case

I'm posting this one especially for Baby rn in case she ever comes across this thread. The unidentified firefighter could easily have been her son's past-life personality or someone just like him.

The Unidentified Firefighter: July 28, 2020 interview of a young, articulate 9/11 Survivor who reflects on the life she was given because of an anonymous firefighter in the Stairwell of the North Tower (1 WTC) who gave up his tomorrows so others could enjoy theirs.

Here's an accompanying news article about Moushumi's encounter with the anonymous firefighter who helped her up after she had tripped on the stairs somewhere in one of three stairwells of the North Tower, somewhere around the 30th - 35th floor.

https://www.sfexaminer.com/news/9-11-brings-back-memories-of-a-hero/

In firefighting, unlike in the military, Fire Officers lead from the front and thus are the first to enter a building. On 9/11 they were the ones charging up the stairwells of the towers to size up the situation on the fire floors 80 stories above the lobby.

Last edited:
The Captain of Ladder 6 on 9/11 gives a succinct recounting of what transpired that day from the perspective of a FDNY fire officer attempting to complete his assignment at the World Trade Center on the worst day in US firefighting history. He takes us from the moment he got to work that morning to reporting to the command post in the lobby of 1WTC with his men shortly after the first plane hit to coming out alive with his men more or less intact that afternoon after being buried alive by the collapse of the North Tower (1 WTC). It is the story of the "Miracle of Stairwell B" as told by one of the survivors. As a tease he mentions my top pick for UK mom's son's past-life personality as well as a very strong candidate for baby rn's son's past-life personality. Of course, only Carol and baby rn know the identity with certainty of baby rn's son's PP and I think we will never know who UK mom's son's PP may have been given the lack of specific identifying clues. It's a great -- but completely surreal clip -- as the retired captain tells the hair-raising, spine-tingling story in a most serene setting 20 years on. Remember, after 2 WTC (the south tower) collapsed the two to three hundred firemen in 1 WTC (the north tower) had just 29 minutes to evacuate and clear the building. Most did not make it out.

Last edited:
Re-postings from the original baby rn thread:

Baby rn Oct 2, 2007_ post #11:
. . . He thinks his bucket has a three on it? 3 has come up a lot...on his truck..but he kind of waivers back and forth about the #3...he has said it's on his hat he thinks...

Baby rn Oct 5, 2007_ post #23:
. . . Here is where I said he waivers(to clarify) he always says his truck says a 3 or 33 or both...thats why I was wondering if he could have been on a ladder and a rescue truck? every once in a while he will say 343 so I don't know what is what...He always uses 3 or 4 .

Lcadwmi Aug 1, 2008 _ post # 89:
. . . And just regarding the mention of the numbers 3 and 4, the following units lost members on 9/11 ...
Engine 33 [GSITS: Ths FDNY company lost one fire officer, but he was not of Irish descent.]
Ladder 3 [GSITS: This FDNY company lost two fire officers, a captain and a lieutenant, both of Irish descent.]
Rescue 3 [GSITS: This FDNY company did not lose any of its fire officers.]
ESU Truck 3 [GSITS: This is an NYPD unit, not an FDNY unit.]
Battalion 43 [GSITS: This unit lost one member, a lieutenant, but he was not of Irish descent.]

List of firefighters lost on 9/11:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_emergency_workers_killed_in_the_September_11_attacks

Last edited:

Baby rn Feb 27, 2010 _ post # 121:
...the 9/11 pin he got in nyc he put on his shirt from the first night we got it and made sure he wore it everyday after that when we were in nyc and east coast...he would move it from shirt to shirt every morning...when we got back to west coast he put it on his fire outfit ...its been there since...the irish firefighter badge he put on his training tower(part of his fire bed) and is obsessed right now with st patricks day and being irish...

Baby rn Oct 2, 2007 _ post # 11:
...he rides in the front he said...but he is not chief... [GSITS: Only a fire officer and his chauffeur ride in the front cab of a fire truck or engine.]

Stars3 Oct 4, 2007 _ post # 22:
. . . He had to have been a Lt. or Capt.They have all kinds of tricks to get the late risers out of bed. Bang on lockers, hitting the bedframes with a baseball bat and even bang pots and pans. . . .

Last edited:
Apparently, baby rn's son gave his mother directions to a firehouse "downtown". Presumably his firehouse. There must have been a reference to this firehouse "downtown" in the original baby rn thread but I cannot find it (and I've really looked). Here is a re-post from the original baby rn thread submitted by a forum member, a New Yorker, describing what "downtown" NYC means:

Justin Smith Oct 1, 2007_ post # 6:
Note on "downtown": In American usage it usually refers to the city center. In New York City, (where I grew up) the word refers to Lower Manhattan (the southernmost part of the island) which is the most densely built-up area. (In fact, the phrase "downtown" might have originated in New York City).

If you go to the original baby rn thread (see link on this thread, post # 1) and review the first five posts, you will see that there is no antecedent to the "downtown" in Justin's post. It's as though some post before post # 6 containing "downtown" or a sentence containing the word "downtown" has been deleted or edited out.

It must have been in the original thread, presumably before post # 6, since Carol references it in her 2017 lecture -- go to about 1:23:09 in the second clip posted in this thread post # 1, where she mentions baby rn's son's firehouse "downtown" claim.

If her son's firehouse was located in "downtown" NYC, ie. downtown Manhattan, it has obvious implications. Wikipedia: Downtown New York City is the southernmost end of Manhattan island south of 14th Street.

Last edited:
Baby rn's son's instructions to his mother (line apparently deleted from the original thread) to get to "a firehouse" "downtown" provides some sort of check on the FDNY company that he may have been assigned to. Only two of the FDNY companies listed in Lcadwmi's Aug 1, 2008 post are located in downtown NYC :

Engine 33 and Ladder 3, which are both located south of 14th street, Manhattan, New York City.

Lcadwmi Aug 1, 2008 _ post # 89:
. . . And just regarding the mention of the numbers 3 and 4, the following units lost members on 9/11 ...
Engine 33 [GSITS: Ths FDNY company lost one fire officer, but he was not of Irish descent.]
Ladder 3 [GSITS: This FDNY company lost two fire officers, a captain and a lieutenant, both of Irish descent.]
Rescue 3 [GSITS: This FDNY company did not lose any of its fire officers.]
ESU Truck 3 [GSITS: This is an NYPD unit, not an FDNY unit.]
Battalion 43 [GSITS: This unit lost one member, a lieutenant, but he was not of Irish descent.]

And only one with fire officers of Irish decent who perished on 9/11: Ladder 3.

After 9/11 the next FDNY fire officer line-of-duty death wouldn't occur until 2005 -- well after baby rn's son's birth:
https://ufanyc.org/line-of-duty-deaths/

Last edited:

Baby rn Apr 28, 2008 _ post # 67:

....he always wants to rescue my daughter when in the pool...he told her to pretend she's sinking and he'll save her. . . But he puts on his scuba mask and swims underwater to her and grabs her like a lifeguard would(only way to describe it) and swims her back to the stairs,saying "don't worry I've got you"
He has not been swimming long (which worries me too) but he uses his flippers and dives to the bottom of the pool and comes up like it’s nothing . . .

Baby rn Apr 30, 2008 _ post # 69:

. . . I have thought about video taping him but it’s hard because I'm always in the pool with him and my daughter...plus, because he is a new swimmer and she just learned a few months ago it is a little dangerous in him "rescuing" her!

He actually does an amazing job but she will just let him "rescue" her and not try to swim...not a great idea! So, I have to be in there with him and always reminding her she needs to swim for him to help her...very odd...anyway that is why there is no videotaping going on...I can't safely yet! . . .

Baby rn Apr 30, 2008 _ post # 71:
the more i think about it he is very excited about swimming or anything that has to do with water...

Baby rn June 23, 2008 _ post # 83:
. . .but it is simply unbelievable to me how well he swims with flippers and without...he dives with his flippers to get his dive sticks to the bottom of the deep end of the pool...I think it's 7 ft...Maybe this is typical of a four year old who knows...I can't do it! He's never had a swim lesson..

Dee3 Dec 22, 2013 post # 197:

. . . I decided to look into [Ladder 3's] Kevin [D.] a bit and there definitely are some striking similarities. Kevin was a lieutenant and was Irish and had other Irish ties. One thing that really struck me though was that Kevin was buried the day after St. Patricks Day...perhaps this is why the young boy here was fascinated with St. Pattys Day (besides the fact that Kevin seemed very into his Irish roots). Just thought I’d share what I found. . .

Dee3 Dec 22, 2013 post # 198:

More on Kevin D[.]
I have found some more striking similarities between Kevin D[.] and the things your son says. First, Kevin was a lifeguard (could explain why he loves to try to "rescue" your "drowning" daughter). . . . .

Profile published in THE NEW YORK TIMES on November 23, 2001:
"Fire may have provided Lt. Kevin D[.] of Ladder Company 3 with his livelihood, but what he loved was water.

"Born under the hot July sun, he got a job as a lifeguard at the town pool in Wantagh, while still a teenager on Long Island . . . . As an adult, he found any excuse to head for the water, even when some other task beckoned. . . .

"He was not persnickety about his beaches, though he preferred those on the ocean. He was hoping to become a lifeguard again, on some Long Island strand. North Shore, South Shore. . . ."

Last edited:
Re-postings from the original Baby rn thread:

Baby rn Oct 3, 2007 _ post # 19:

...He puts on his fire boots and hat every night before bedtime and comes into my daughter’s room with his fire flashlight to check my daughter's room for whatever and will say all clear and they’re both happy and she goes to bed..

Baby rn Jan 23, 2008 _ post # 51:

. . . He was really concerned that we didn't have a plan to get out of the house if there was a fire and that he couldn't reach the “real” fire extinguisher in his closet to put out a fire...he said how is he supposed to rescue everyone if he can't get out his own door(he has a slider in his room) and can't get the fire extinguisher...he was really upset about it...so my husband made a 'plan" for him and let him listen to what a smoke alarm sounds like so he would be more comfortable and practiced where to go etc...

Then a few minutes later my husband set off the alarm again and told him "ok pretend this is a real fire what do you do?" (thinking he will go do what they just practiced). No, not quite...He ran and got his real fire hat (a friend gave it to him recently) and began trying to climb on things in his closet to get the real fire extinguisher, then covered his face with his blanket and began yelling to my husband get out and get low...so it was not quite the fire drill we were planning on. . . .

Baby rn May 17, 2010 _ post # 127:

My son has been asking me at night when he goes to bed "what do you want me to tell you about tonight?" It's weird ...before all his information used to come out matter of factly...now it’s like he wants to teach me about what he knows...He got out his little kid pointer purchased at school and began telling me about his fire trucks...he also went on about the structure of the empire state building and said if there was ever a fire in there it would be bad...he said the top part of it would fall to the ground and destroy the houses and buildings around it. The top part is not supported well and is too light to stay up after fire and smoke. He also said there are not enough stairs to rescue the people to get them out. then he stops and says what else do you want to learn...He's six now but the information he describes comes out in very "adult" language and confidence. . . .

I said to him last night after he "taught" me about other things...how do you know so much about firefighting? He said, "I lived it".

Baby rn May 19, 2010 _ post # 133:

I don't know how to describe it... It went from info that was matter of fact and in the present tense to him to now... he describes it as something he studied or something he can teach me about. He asks," what do I want to learn about" and i say i don't know, and he says, "how about this" and describes in much detail that things no 6 year old or adult, for that matter, would know about...There isn't an emotion to it still...he just seems determined to teach me what he knows...Like the info about the empire state building...he went on and on about the "structure" of the building and how he's studied it and how it will not be safe or escapable in case of a fire . . .

Baby rn May 20, 2010 _ post # 136:

. . . He was telling me about the oxygen tanks firefighters carry and told me how long each tank will last before they are empty...I told him that didn't seem right...he actually insisted and told me to look it up and I did. He was right! When he talks about these things now, he always stands up and kind of paces around just like a teacher would...weird actually...

Newsday (New York City, Nassau Edition), April 12, 2002:
. . . . "A fitness buff who swam relentlessly, run three times in the New York City Marathon, and worked as a lifeguard in Wantagh [Long Island, NY], [Ladder 3's Lt. Kevin D.] was planning to take the Captain's exam in October. He was teaching fire safety in New Jersey while going to John Jay College [of Criminal Justice in Manhattan], and was a few credits shy of a master's degree in fire protection management, which he hoped to teach in retirement. . . ."

Interesting FDNY Ladder Company training/ recruiting video from 2008. About mid-way thru (6:06) they show and demonstrate a thermal imaging device (what baby rn's son called a "camera") which I thought was kind of cool:

Note that the company demonstrating how a Ladder company works is Ladder 176 from Brooklyn NY which is the same company Lt. Kevin D. was assigned to in the early to mid-1980s (to 1994 when he was transferred to Ladder 3 in downtown Manhattan).

Ladder 176 (176-Truck) is a 100' rear-mount aerial truck. Aerial trucks have the extendable ladders without the bucket (no bucket), unlike Tower Ladder (TL) trucks which do have the bucket at the end of the ladder.

Ladder 3 (3-Truck), by the way, is (and was) also a 100' rear-mount aerial truck. No bucket:

2001-08truck.jpg

(photo is from August 2001. Reference: http://ladder3.org/)

Lt. Kevin D. joined the FDNY in 1979 and was first assigned to Engine 222 in Brooklyn, NY. In the early to mid-1980s he was re-assigned to Ladder 176 also in Brooklyn NY. Upon his promotion to Lieutenant in 1994 he was assigned to Ladder 3 in downtown Manhattan where he served until his death at the WTC on 9/11 (Sept 11, 2001).

Last edited:
Excellent research.
To add to this,

Here are the words from Babyrn and a photo of Lt. Kevin D that kind of backs up what she said?

Babyrn said "he thiks his bucket has a three on it?3 has come up a lot...on his truck..but he kind of waivers back and forth about the #3...he has said it's on his hat he thinks.."
could he have been on a ladder truck and rescue?He is also sure his hat is black with yellow stripe."

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230121-001037_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230121-001037_Google.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 2
Back