• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

A still mind is divine...

Ajay0

Insightful article by spiritual teacher Eknath Easwaran on the still mind as perceived from the Hindu and Christian religious philosophies...

https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...still-mind-is-divine/articleshow/89230633.cms

There is a popular misconception that to still the mind is to become a zombie or robot. It is just the opposite. The calmer and stiller the mind becomes, the more we can realize in our daily lives our true birthright of security, joy and tireless energy to work for the welfare of those around us.

Meher Baba, a well-known saint of modern India, used to say that a mind that is fast is sick, a mind that is slow is sound, and a mind that is still is divine. This is what the Bible means when it says, 'Be still and know that I am God.' ~ Eknath Easwaran

Having been around the block a few times I'll say that a lot of the new age as well some of the repackaged old doctrine and dogma is pretty meh to be honest at worse does end up causing people some real problems later on. Good luck with some soul groups though as they are all mind and not much else.

Having been around the block a few times I'll say that a lot of the new age as well some of the repackaged old doctrine and dogma is pretty meh to be honest at worse does end up causing people some real problems later on. Good luck with some soul groups though as they are all mind and not much else.

I think a knowledge of Advaitan, Buddhist, Sufi or nondual philosophies can help people understand the mechanics of the op's theme.

The still mind depicts the nondual or unitary perception which brings out the intrinsic bliss and joy within ourselves, which I personally found to be highly healing, sweet and energising , as well as heightening the intuition.

It is usually in the midst of nature, such as beaches or forests or parks, that I find it easier to access the still mind faster. Same with regions rich in prana and positive energies. I find it hard to do the same in the midst of conditioned human society. Solitude and silence are very helpful in this regard.

I think a knowledge of Advaitan, Buddhist, Sufi or nondual philosophies can help people understand the mechanics of the op's theme.

The still mind depicts the nondual or unitary perception which brings out the intrinsic bliss and joy within ourselves, which I personally found to be highly healing, sweet and energising , as well as heightening the intuition.

It is usually in the midst of nature, such as beaches or forests or parks, that I find it easier to access the still mind faster. Same with regions rich in prana and positive energies. I find it hard to do the same in the midst of conditioned human society. Solitude and silence are very helpful in this regard.

In all honesty my advice to anyone is just to cut passed all that and focus on what really is be it from things like NDEs, past lives, astral projection, and to learn from actual experiences as dogma is just programming though while it will provide some truth it is not the ultimate truth. At worst dogma is there to keep people from searching and figuring out reality for themselves while keeping them stuck in cults. A lot of the dogma is really just archon traps.

In all honesty my advice to anyone is just to cut passed all that and focus on what really is be it from things like NDEs, past lives, astral projection, and to learn from actual experiences as dogma is just programming though while it will provide some truth it is not the ultimate truth. At worst dogma is there to keep people from searching and figuring out reality for themselves while keeping them stuck in cults. A lot of the dogma is really just archon traps.

I agree with your statements on dogma, but wish to state that the Buddha himself discouraged dogma, and exhorted people to exercise their intellect and act accordingly...

Some sayings of the Buddha in this regard...

O bhikshus and wise men, just as a goldsmith would test his gold by burning, cutting, and rubbing it, so you must examine my words and accept them, but not merely out of reverence for me. ~– Ghanavyuha sutra (Sutra of Dense Array)

Do not go by revelation;
Do not go by tradition;
Do not go by hearsay;
Do not go on the authority of sacred texts;
Do not go on the grounds of pure logic;
Do not go by a view that seems rational;
Do not go by reflecting on mere appearances;
Do not go along with a considered view because you agree with it;
Do not go along on the grounds that the person is competent;
Do not go along because "the recluse is our teacher."

Kalamas, when you yourselves know: These things are unwholesome, these things are blameworthy; these things are censured by the wise; and when undertaken and observed, these things lead to harm and ill, abandon them...

Kalamas, when you know for yourselves: These are wholesome; these things are not blameworthy; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness, having undertaken them, abide in them. ~ Kalama Sutta - Angutarra Nikaya 3.65

The still mind, also described as no-mind or awareness/mindfulness itself enhances intuition, and intuition helped me to understand about my past lives, develop faith in the process, and enhance my decision-making skills. It is also the natural state of being and not an artificial state or mental construct.

I follow a combination of intuition and logic in terms of decision-making , giving proper space for both.

Last edited:
I have found ideas such as "to still the mind" of immense practical benefit. To me it isn't dogma, but a hands-on manual or guide. In that respect reading about such things as astral travel in a practical sense a "how to do it" approach is also an instruction manual.

But I don't make a sense of equivalence here, there are instruction manuals on all sorts of subjects, and though each has its place, they don't all have the same value in one's life. By now I tend not to read or study such things, there is a point at which it is necessary to set off on one's own path, but the idea of "stilling the mind" to me is still a key idea, one which I don't usually express in words, it's just something of which I remind myself from time to time, especially when I find myself troubled.

Back