• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Belonging to another family?

azgrl25

Senior Registered
I had a childhood friend that used to live down the street from me. I never felt this kind of connection when I was friends with her growing up, it wasn't until I found her on Facebook that these feelings started to come to me that I really can't explain.

Basically, it feels like i'm "connected" to that family - like I was supposed to be the oldest child (there are 4 kids), and chose to be born into my current family instead. I can't help but feel a sense of missing out on what's going on with them even though I haven't seen them since I was a child.

It's like a knowing that there were two miscarriages before my friend was born...and I was originally supposed to be one of them. I have no idea if the mother miscarried or not so I have no way of validating something like this.

I've never had this kind of feeling before with someone else's family, so i'd like to get some thoughts.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

What you speak of has the ring of familiarity, possibly for many of us; and I would put forth a theory that we are sometimes surrounded by some members of our past life soul group during the very early years of our present lifetime. Eventually, we all seem to drift away from each other pursuing our mission in life, meeting new souls, loving some and loosing many along the way. But, it seems that the sense of loss is often greater for the earliest friends for some strange reason.

I had quite a posse of friends during my first five years in a mid-western city many years ago. Among those friends only two brothers stood out from the rest for some mysterious reason, and I always pondered what happened to them in all those 60 years since we moved away. I recently rediscovered the older of the two brothers through the serendipitous discovery of their last name on a long-lost photograph, plus the magic of Facebook; and in reconnecting with him, I was informed of the sad demise of the younger brother.

Of all the people I have known, and of all the deaths that have occurred around me and among my friends and loved ones, Terry's sad story is among those that have affected me most. And the only possible explanation I can attach to it is the possibility that we might have known each other at some time in the more distant past.

It seems to me, that if some of us are born into our own past-life families, then we may also be accompanied by familiar souls. Eventually, we leave our nest and our oldest friends behind to pursue our mission in life. But, we never forget our oldest friends, just as we never forget our original family. In this light, our longing for those people is often as great, if not greater than, any longing we have ever experienced.

I agree with nighttrain.

In my own particular experience, me and my friend (past life husband) are the two "odd ones" in our families. However his family quickly accepted me as one of their own and quite ironically his parents considered me to be a more proper Chinese kid than their own kids, and Im not chinese in this life, but I was in my past one.

So I think it's normal to travel with your soul mates / family even if you aren't born directly into the same family.

hi nightrain

when you say we eventually drift away from a past life soul group to pursue our life missions, does that mean we do not all stick with the same soul group from life to life? it was my understanding that each soul reincarnates within the same soul group, just playing different roles so we can evolve and experience life from all perspectives.

at least in my personal experience it seems to be the case ie. even though i am adopted and have been adopted in past lives as well, i always seem to find my way back to the same soul group each time.

i am just curious if this is not the case for everyone.

My reflections on the issue of soul groups is purely my own, based strictly on my own feelings and experiences. Although it may be shared by many people, it is by no means true for everyone. Nor is any one mode of reincarnation true for everyone, for I do believe that diversity of modes is necessary. In other words, there should be no one single doctrine or method in which we experience reincarnation.

I don't believe that we all necessarily reincarnate within the same soul group. I do suspect, however, that we often reincarnate with some members of the same soul group for any number of varied purposes—some to provide a semblance of continuity, perhaps, and some to provide help in toward future objectives.

For anyone to say that we ALWAYS reincarnate within the same soul group, strikes me as suggesting that our opportunities are limited only within the scope, experience, and potential of that soul group. Whereas, I think that life is about bumping up against new situations involving the participation new new souls along the way.

I was given the example that one's soul group is like a group of regular commuters going weekly from NY to LA, each flight being a lifetime. The regular group of business travelers are the soul group, who know each other and interact frequently, but there are other people on the plane also who may interact to some extent...just not as longterm as the interactions you have with those from your group. Not every regular commuter makes every flight every time, but makes enough to have continuity with the others in the group. A somewhat flawed example, but I think it holds some truth.

Nighttrain, to further explain, I'd say that soul groups mirrors groups of people you know here on earth as usetawuz was explaining.

There's people you feel really connected to and you consider your primary family, or some you don't and there's people you loose touch with and new bonds that are formed. I think that cosmically speaking, what happens within one lifetime can also occur across several.

Which explains why it's possible to bump into people we used to know but are no longer close with as well as perhaps how it's also possible that close siblings or family members reincarnate with or near each other.

I agree with you that the key to growth and well roundness is new experiences. However there's also free will and ignorance to account for as well. I think for some people, they are born into the same patterns over and over (whether negative or positive). I noted elsewhere in contrast to myself, usetawuz seems to have been all over. I choose to stay in familiar surroundings.

Back