Celia Cruz

Discussion in 'Past Life Memories' started by Titus Rivas, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Titus Rivas

Titus Rivas Senior Registered

I just read the following news item article about Celia Cruz:

Was salsa queen Cruz reincarnation of cousin?
    By Knight Ridder Newspapers
    July 18, 2004

It seems like a cliche to say Celia Cruz is assured of her place as one of Latin music's immortals until you realize that up to her death a year ago she believed she was immortal.

The new book, "Celia: My Life," begins with the story that explains it. "Celia believed she was a reincarnation of a cousin of hers who died in infancy," Ana Cristina Reymundo, the co-author of Cruz"s autobiography, said. "When Celia's mother was pregnant with Celia, her sister Ana's daughter died in a town called Pinar del Rio. Celia"s mother traveled there from Havana and found her clinging to the cadaver of the baby. They believed that when a baby dies like that their soul will return, and the way to assure that is to mark the baby in some way.

"At the wake, Ana was beyond grief; all she could do was stare at the coffin. Suddenly --; and Celia's mother had no idea she would do this --Ana took the baby's fingers and bent them until they cracked. Celia's mother nearly fainted, and she said she felt her baby, Celia, jump.

"Celia was born a few weeks later. At one point they were bathing her, and she stretched Celia's hands and realized that her pinky finger was completely bent toward the thumb. Then she opened up the other hand and realized it was the same. So she calls her mother, Dolores, and said, 'Tell Ana her daughter is here!"

"Most of us are preoccupied with our inevitable mortality," concluded Reymundo. "Celia had a powerful understanding that the soul is eternal."

Titus

2. bishopk

bishopk Senior Registered

Interesting story and I wondered if the family ever sensed any other ways in which they felt Celia was her deceased cousin.

I'm guessing that Celia's mother sensing the baby jump inside of her was probably due to the fact that she nearly fainted. (I say this, recalling how vigorously my baby jumped inside of me during some anxious moments I had during a tornado warning). That is to say, the baby was reacting to the physical reaction her mother had. But I could be wrong about that, of course - it could have been that both mother and baby "knew" the cousin's soul would come back as Celia.

It's certainly a nice thing for a family to believe and I'm sure it gave them all some comfort, especially as Celia became so well known for her career.

Aimee

3. Veronika

Veronika Senior Registered

Sorry, about this totally irrelvant reaction, but did Celias fingers get normal again? Were they broken or crocked? This method seems a little harsh even if is efficient.

Titus, Thank you for telling us this anyway. :) It was very interesting.

4. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

HI Titus,

So did Celias family follow a Latin religious tradition and not Catholic? Do you know?

Veronika, I know of several cases and cultural traditions where the families have "marked" in various ways the deceased - and the new born has the mark. It was something Jim B. Tucker addressed in his lecture last October at the Childspirit Institute Conference in California.

5. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

Wow! That's a really interesting story! Although I've read about babies being born with certain familial marks, I've never heard of purposely marking the deceased. I'd be interested in reading more about this. Cultural trditions are so fascinating!

6. Titus Rivas

Titus Rivas Senior Registered

SanterĂ­a

Hi Deborah,

I actually don't know, but Celia Cruz was Cuban and the local syncretism, SanterĂ­a, does involve a belief in reincarnation.

Titus

7. GreenKnight

GreenKnight Senior Registered

I have lived and worked among Cubans for many many years. The mother of my oldest daughter is Cuban. It is common "knowledge" that Celia did practice the Santeria religion in her private life. This is common lore but I do know that in her early career she did record many many traditional Santeria chants and songs. Some are quite wonderful in fact. I don't know how many of those recordings are still available but I do remember hearing them about 25 years ago at the house of my daughter's grandparents.