Esoteric content in Forum?

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by Marc Ross, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Marc Ross

Marc Ross Senior Registered

Hello,

Not sure what Forum to post this.

Why has there been so much esoteric content lately? Some of this content is very interesting; yet sometimes, quite a few of us are yearning for that latest discussion on the "not so esoteric" aspects of reincarnation. Hence, I became more interested in the...'Tea and Coffee Palace' Forum.

What is behind the growing interest to post esoteric content?

Thank-you
    Marc

2. Cryscat

Cryscat Senior Member

Not sure what you mean by "esoteric content" since I only see a few that might go under that heading.

3. tanguerra

tanguerra Moderator Emeritus

I assume you mean the 'parapscyhology' issues - astral travel, clairvoyance and the like? I guess we have a few members interested in all that at the moment.

Marc, you can always start a discussion, eh? What would you like to talk about?

4. Marc Ross

Cont...

Hi Tanguerra,

Yes, I'm referring to topics relating to 'parapsychology.'

Basically, I'm seeking concrete discussions on reincarnation (the term 'concrete' is a relative term in the context of reincarnation).

Some of the esoteric content is both thoughtful, and interesting, and at times does contribute to 'concrete' discussions. Yet, at times, esoteric content can increasingly become well...."too new agey" -- hence I feel the need to search the Forum(s) more deeply for older discussions that provide a 'concrete' focus.

Tanguerra: A topic that might be fitting for this Forum would ask, "Does anybody pause for (up to several months) from PL regression exercises?"

Would regression experiences (after time-outs of several months) differ from regression experiences that result from regressions done routinely e.g., a couple of times per week?

Marc

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2015
  5. tanguerra

It sort of comes in waves for me. I think it has to do with what's going on in real life. Sometimes I've no time or no interest in matters to do with past lives, then others I get all carried away with it and can barely think of anything else.

6. Totoro

Totoro Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

I think the parapsychology is part and parcel to reincarnation. If we consider that "souls" may not be more than mere electrical fields controlling an organic machine that uses a system of nerves to pass on an electrical charge to control it.

And if we also consider that electrical systems emanate an electrical field around themselves, I don't think it's a stretch to think that they may interact (or even communicate) with other fields around them and other things.

As far as personal research goes, I think like others have mentioned, it comes in leaps and bounds. You make some progress, find something new, revel in a bit and then you have to put in on the back burner for a bit as real life tends to take over. And eventually, the cycle repeats. wine**

7. tanguerra

How about this Marc? .... This is a conversation starter... :)

http://www.simulation-argument.com/simulation.html

8. Ann

Ann New Member

If we're living in a computer simulation I need more lives for this game and the programmer is a jerk. Also, does anyone know any way to get past level 20? I always get killed by the end boss.

9. Mama2HRB

Mama2HRB Senior member

I am grateful that threads going into areas other than reincarnation have been allowed. I have learned much and hopefully have been able to help others. It is so rare to have a safe place to share our experiences.

10. BethC

BethC Senior Registered

Ann, You are awesome! ROFL ;)

11. Marc Ross

Are You Living a Computer Simulation..CONT

WHOA! I had to locate a shorter version of 'Are You Living a Computer Simulation' in order to grasp Bostrom's theories. I was amazed that a financial-orientated publication chose report on this topic. Enclosed is a LINK:

LINK: http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2012-05-01/news/31528119_1_multimedia-games-mechanics-character

12. Ann

Ann New Member

Okay, the "we're all in a simulation" argument.

"I don't see anyone else like us around here, so our type of intelligence must be rare. I don't know where or how life might evolve elsewhere, but we're here. So with my lack of knowledge I think that life can only evolve in an environment like ours. Since I, with my lack of knowledge, don't see any other worlds like ours around, then worlds like ours must be rare. I therefor deduce with my lack of information, that we are very rare beings that just happen to have evolved in a rare environment. Two things that I decided are rare sounds unlikely."

"Now, since we can simulate things with increasing accuracy, we will of course be simulating things in the future. Since we might one day simulate our past selves, we must be in such a simulation now and this gets more likely as time goes by. Why? Because I think so, me with my absolute lack of evidence. Either that, or we're all being simulated by space aliens. You know, the ones that I said before didn't exist because they're not standing right in front of me or sending me Christmas cards? The ones that couldn't exist so as to make us unique? Yeah, them. And for some reason they must want to simulate beings very different from themselves. Because I said that our type of intelligence was rare before, remember? Beings that must be so different from themselves that the results of their experiments would have no parallel with either their own history or psychology. Because of reasons that I can't bother to go into right now, but trust me, they're good and involve science.......stuff."

"All of this, because I say that we are special snowflakes who I say couldn't possibly exist naturally. We can't be real. I mean, have you met us?"

Ummmmm.....yeah. It's an interesting idea. I however think that the argument of whether or not we are what we believe ourselves to be is better argued by Zhuangzi, the Chinese philosopher who came up the, "I could not tell if I was a man dreaming that he was a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming that he was a man". (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Zhuangzi)

And no, I'm not that smart. I had to look up his name too.

For the simulation argument, I can poke so many holes in it. Example- Earth wasn't always how you see it now. If you look at early Earth, you get a planet that much like now. Even early life. We're not too clear exactly what kind because very little survived in the fossil record. (Despite what most people think, we don't even have a complete idea that what was up and walking around millions of years later, during the time of the dinosaurs. Think about how many types of animal, plant, insect, and bacteria there are now. Now look in a book about dinosaurs and start counting species.) But very little oxygen. Oxygen is actually a deadly poison. Yes, you can die if you get too much oxygen. It's called "oxygen toxicity". Almost all of the oxygen that we breath today is the result of what is called blue-green algae or cyanobacteria that started to infest the ocean of the early Earth. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanobacteria) Back then they didn't have very many competitors. Also, the oxygen they produce? It's a waste product. It's algae poop or if you prefer, farts. A gas attack of epic proportions that effectively killed off just about about everything that couldn't stand the high oxygen.

If these algae hadn't come along in high numbers, Earth would still have an atmosphere of high methane and carbon dioxide. It's reasonable to assume that some sort of life and possibly intelligent life might exist right now. They too would look around and go, "See all of this, it was made just for us. We are special. We are unique."

Does any of this invalidate reincarnation? No.

This concept is nothing but old philosophy dressed up with new names.

Take a deep breath of million year old farts and have a nice day! :)

13. Blueheart

Blueheart Senior Member

Yes, yes. But you are missing the point. He is a professor at Oxford. This is philosophical and science-y. Clearly, not (insert name of spiritual belief you look down upon here) hocus pocus nonsense.

14. Ann

Ann New Member

Eh! I don't actually look down on anyone or their beliefs. Even as a joke. I'm not that smart. I am however smart enough to know that everyone else is just as clueless as I am. It's just when people stand up and go, "I know all.", it irritates me. Or when people take old ideas and dress them up in new clothes. They then pretend that it's something new and special. That the old stuff was too simple. The new, that's the answer.

Science, religion, magic, atheism, flying spaghetti monster, Homer Simpson's "the universe is a doughnut", I'll listen to it all. In a way, we all have elements of the truth.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll just be over here in the corner with my tinfoil hat studded with genuine Atlantian power crystals. I have to rest up for my dinner with the seventh Beatle at 13 o'clock. a115.gif

15. Marc Ross

Esoteric content surrounding the topic of reincarnation can bring out the skeptic's viewpoints:

Skeptic's Advocate - posts #20, #32, #33 notes mentions of esoteric content.

http://www.reincarnationforum.com/threads/skeptics-advocate.3465/

Best wishes!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2015
  16. Anthony Forwood

Anthony Forwood Arm Chair Know-It-All

The subject of reincarnation is itself esoteric, so why wouldn't these other subjects be as valid?

Nothing can really distinguish the difference between a PL memory and a clairvoyant moment. Even if you were to come up with physical proof that your memories are of a real person who once lived, there's no way to really be sure if you picked up your own past life, or the memories of someone else's life.

Esoteric subjects are important because they relate to similar uncertainties that exist regarding reality. Different people come to the same discoveries from different perspectives, and although none of them are necessarily right, each perspective can offer some insight into the truth behind the others.

17. Marc Ross

Esoteric is a relative term in reincarnation

Thank-you for your response.

Esoteric is a relative viewpoint regarding reincarnation.

Post #4 (edited) in this thread provides relevant viewpoints!

18. Anthony Forwood

Anthony Forwood Arm Chair Know-It-All

You're welcome. Everything is relative, to some degree. Finding concrete answers to anything is dependent on a consensus agreement, and little more. The only things that are truly esoteric are the things that are never absolute. The more you think about it, the more you realize this includes everything. We make up possible answers to things we don't understand and then try them out in an infinite number of situations, but we never really know for sure if we're completely accurate in our conclusions, because there's always more to investigate. we might conclude that reality itself is esoteric in nature, and there is no one definitive and absolute answer to anything.