First name and date of death

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Misty8723, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Misty8723

Misty8723 Senior Registered

If I have a first name and a death date, and possibly death place is there any way to search for that?

2. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

That would help. Search online and see what happens. You never know.

3. Lady2

Lady2 Senior Registered

Not sure with only the first name that you can find much. Ancestry.com is a good place to search, you can do a free trial. You may have the first name and date just for yourself through, research/proof may not be really important. It is fun through! :)

4. Spatz

Spatz Senior Registered

Hi,

I agree with the above posts that a broad search on Google or Ancestry.com might bring you some results, but there are some more niched options depending on what other details you might have.

Do you know the region? This can be very helpful especially if you have the date of death (especially what year or at least what era) since many places do keep court records or other archives. Do you know the circumstances of death? Even a broad idea can be helpful here too.

Any other details or hunches as to what your occupation was might help too, especially relating to the above. I've got some experience in military records and so if you remember being a soldier it can be enormously easier to find more details based on that since these records in the past century or so can be quite complete (Important note: Can be)

Good luck with your search.

5. argonne1918

Yes, many American WWII military records went up in flames in a warehouse fire in Missouri in the early 1970's. You would think the government would have known better than to store them in an unprotected facility as far as fire safety goes. And this was before any records were computerized but they could have spent some money and had them put on microfilm.

6. BriarRose

BriarRose Senior Registered

I've found American military records really difficult to find on-line, and now I know why. Thank, argonne. I have had more success with Civil War records. Are some WWII records sealed because of privacy issues?

7. argonne1918

Not for privacy. Some things they did were top secret at the time. Leninger's contacted the Pentagon and asked to have Jim Huston's files declassified. Their son James had talked about flying a Corsair during the War. But the veterans he flew with on the Natoma Bay said there was never any Corsairs on the ship. The Pentagon opened the file and discovered Huston had been one of only two test pilots during a secret modification

program of the Corsair. James Leninger had been right.

8. Spatz

Spatz Senior Registered

Briar, if you're still looking for those American records from WWII, I know many museums who have good archives. I do think that not everything is automatically public and google-able, but I'm sure after some research and with some specific details, some things might be able to be requested from the correct source, as in Leininger's case posted above. If you're interested let me know and I'll post a little list elsewhere or in a message about museums to contact for archive info. I've seen personally some AMAZING collections that just might have some interesting personal records.

Outside of American records it's relatively straightforward to hunt down German records from WWII as well, but unfortunately I've had a really hard time dealing with where one might find some Russian ones. I don't know, the whole military info search is a thing on it's own so if the OP has any details on that it's a great big new ballgame!

9. BriarRose

BriarRose Senior Registered

You can post it on a separate thread, Spatz. That would help a lot of people, not just me. Scientific and Anecdotal Research would be a good section. I would love to see the service records of my family members. Oddly, Revolutionary War records are pretty good. The original colonies had good record keeping, until the frontier started to spread.