Harvard and Yale - Reincarnation and the Book of Life

Discussion in 'SCIENTIFIC and ANECDOTAL research' started by Deborah, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

Hi Everybody,

Many people come to this forum with questions..more questions than answers and many feel they are crazy for even inquiring about reincarnation. I would like to share some information I came across a few years ago.

The title of this thread was also the title of a lecture by Sylvia Cranston on October 17, 1979 at Harvard University. The original 50 page typewritten talk is now in Yale University's Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library. If Harvard and Yale are taking reincarnation seriously..why shouldn't you?

Cranston's lecture came about after she read the book Reincarnation in Christianity, by Professor Geddes MacGregor, a professor of philosophy emeritus at the University of Southern California. He is also an Anglican priest of forty years standing and among his other honors, he was a special preacher at St. Paul's Cathedral in London in 1969 and at Westminister Abbey in 1970.

MacGregor not only wrote his book about reincarnation, but also has given courses at university level regarding it.

He states:
    I would REALLY like to hear about any and ALL professionals looking into reincarnation today....Universities, professors, scientists, etc. Where have you been or what have you read....that helps inform people about reincarnation at an advanced level?

Please post your findings here..so others can see..that very educated, well informed individuals are looking into the possibilities and are taking it seriously.

Thank you

------------------
    Love and Light,
    Deborah

Lifes experiences weave a tapestry of knowledge

SandySouth likes this.
  2. Gemeni

Gemeni Senior Registered

Taste...

Hi Deborah. Have you visited
    www.issc-taste.org
    This is the place where scientists write about their mind experiences. There's a wonderful account of riding a dragon there at the moment.

So many scientists seem determined to undermine our 'wayward' thoughts so I find it very comforting to pop in to their site and find out they can be equally effected.
    There is certainly a lot of 'respectable' work going on now about near death experiences. A few years ago they wouldn't have dared voice such opinions.
    The only thing that worries me is that as soon as science gets hold of a good idea they, and big business, always want to take control of it somehow. I dread to think how they could combine a multi-national viewpoint with some of the old religious control ideas to come up with some way of marketing how we pass through this life and on to the next. Presumably you would have to score points by being a successful citizen to ensure a better life next time around. Mind you, they'd have some angry customers waiting for them in the next life, since I can't see how they could make it work. I don't think it would stop them trying though, do you?

SandySouth likes this.
  3. Susie

Susie Dreamer-former moderator

Hi Deborah,

It has been within the last few months that I have seriously been researching reincarnation. It has become very important to me to research two areas:
    • Medical professionals who support reincarnation through direct experience.
    • How ancient texts reference reincarnation
    Written by Dr. Brian Weiss, M.D., both Many Lives, Many Masters and Through Time Into Healing are excellent books. In Many Master, Many Lives, Dr. Weiss come across Catherine's past lives by accident when he hypnotized her (after using conventional methods) to resolve her current problems. Instead he found the source in her past lives. In Through Time Into Healing, Dr. Weiss shares his experience with other patients after Catherine. Dr. Weiss is a reputable doctor who'se information can be trusted.

Helen Wambagh, Ph.D is another excellent source. In Reliving Past Lives, The evidence Under Hypnosis, she did a study with college students on past lives. She provides statistical informationshe gathered from her research.

A few weeks ago I found two volumes of Dr. Ian Stevenson's Cases of Reincarnation Type in a used bookstore. I can't wait to get into those!

Here's an interesting website I found that explains the fundamentals of reincarnation presented in the ancient Vedic text Bhagavad-gita
    Science of Reincarnation

I could go on and on. But, I think the most important thing is to become informed through our own research.

------------------
    Love and Light,
    Susie

I am happy...I am healthy...I am holy....I am whole

4. Deborah

Way cool Susie! Great site!!!!!!!!!

I just love it when more and more people-- from various disciplines are researching the possibilities. For example..

Not that I want to open the door to the definition of truth....just that I am making note as to how many scientists are looking - how many researchers are searching. Doctors, psychologists, priests, professors, and my next door neighbor!! Everyone is asking...questions.

Eventually we'll ask the right ones.

Please keep posting...any research materials and information you have that will add to this thread for more understanding.

------------------
    Love and Light,
    Deborah

5. Deborah

You know.....

There is a link right here in the Children's Past Lives website that has a lot of information about Ian Stevenson.

Ian Stevenson

For those of you who do not know him -
    Dr. Ian Stevenson, is a professor of psychiatry at the University of Virginia Medical School, and has been researching reincarnation since 1960. He meticulously gathers case studies from all over the world, specifically targeting children who speak spontaneously of past lives, in other bodies, in other places, and with different families.

His work is fascinating, and encompasses thousands of cases which he has closely analyzed. He notes that spontaneous past life recall is so relatively common with children, that the number of cases that seem worth considering, far surpasses his staff’s ability to investigate them all.

The volumes of cases studies Stevenson has recorded, and his reputation as a careful and thorough investigator has earned him the respect of several distinguished scientific periodicals, including the Journal of the American Medical Association. Anyone looking for proof of reincarnation should take the time to review his work.

------------------
    Love and Light,
    Deborah

6. Kelly

Kelly Administrator Emeritus

Hi All

Okay, I haven't actually "been" yet, but, I am going to take a Reikki Class soon, a whole weekend workshop that is not only a non-fee (donation only course), but it is also run by Catholic Nuns...I'm really looking forward to it.

I also know that Edinburgh University amongst many others across the globe are currently running a lot of courses and research into psychic phenomenon and all things related.

And of course, we can't forget the Society for Psychical Research who has had many "well-known" presidents.

------------------
    Lots of Love
    Kelly

7. Tamera

Tamera Senior Registered

Deborah and Gemini,

I have been to that site and I found it facinating! I think it is wonderful that scientists are taking a serious look at reincarnation among other things!

Susie,

When you brought up the fact that you are interested in doctors who believe, it made me think of my own pediatricians. My daughter sees 2 doctors at her clinic on a regular basis and BOTH of them are facinated by our stories of Shianne's past life experiences. They don't EVER dismiss them as "imagination".

I should ask them if they have other children who come in with similar stories, and if they document any of them!

Tammy

------------------
    Seeking Truth
    Gaining Knowledge

8. jesusisjustalright

jesusisjustalright Senior Registered

Hi, Deborah,

Although I regret to say I have no findings to present you or anything, let me just say this. I'm glad I came to this forum because like you said, some people think they're crazy for even thinking about the possibility of reincarnation. It was as though you'd read my mind when you posted that message. Yes, I have many questions myself that I do not understand. I, too, feel as though maybe I am crazy or a heretic. I feel so out of place among my many friends, especially Christian. Obviously, I don't dare ever so much as hint at it when I'm around them unless I'm vehemently against it, which I am not. I suppose I could deny it when I'm around them, but I don't want to lie to myself and God. One of my questions is, why? Why is it not accepted in Christianity? There is black-and-white proof in the Bible. You wouldn't think that reincarnationist Christians would be hard to come by, but they are, sad but true. A lot of Christians claim that anybody who believes in reincarnation denies God and the Bible, yet that is not true.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that with you.

Oscar FRYE likes this.
  9. Susie

Susie Dreamer-former moderator

Hi Jesusisalright,

;)I like your username, very creative! I have also read Reincarnation: The Missing Link In Christianity and found it very enlightening. Ms. Prophet relies upon many ancient texts for her research. Like I mentioned in my previous post, Many Lives, Many Masters and Through Time Into Healing by Brian Weiss are both must reads.

After reading Ms. Prophet's book, as well as doing a lot of other research, I realized something about myself. When I did not believe in reincarnation, it was because I was taught it was wrong. But, when I began believe in past lives, it was because I followed my own intuition and heart and knew it was right.

To me those those two opposites make all the difference.

I know how difficult it is to find people in our everyday life who believe and are willing to talk about past lives. Even with people whom I find open-minded enough to talk about the paranormal, reincarnation somehow seems to be a taboo subject. Kind of like, "If anyone hears me talking about this, what would they think?":eek:

I really believe the key is to follow what you believe is right, even if it differs from what others believe. Everything is as it should be and things will fall into place as they may.

Oscar FRYE likes this.
  10. Deborah

Rabbi Manassa, one of the most revered Rabbis in Israel, states:

Oscar FRYE likes this.
  11. Deborah

Princeton University

PEAR - Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research the beginnings of how consciousness creates. Maybe someday -they will provide us with answers from one life to the other? One can dream.

[This message has been edited by Deborah (edited 12-25-2002).]

12. ssake

ssake Senior Registered

Speaking of Sylvia Cranston, I have a book called "Reincarnation: The Phoenix Fire Mystery" compiled and edited by Joseph Head and S.L. Cranston, with a foreword by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross. I'm assuming this is Sylvia Cranston. It's a series of chapters about the history of reincarnation, very readable (I think) but with a lot of scholarship backing it up. I highly recommend it to get a solid historical overview from a sympathetic perspective.
    Steve S.

13. Goldenage

Goldenage Senior Registered

Dear Deborah,
    concerning your reason for starting this thread. I am a scientist (PhD Population Ecology, UC Santa Barbara). I have recently retired from a Senior position in the United Naions system where I organized International Scientific Programs on environmental issues (among other things). I do not have any "scientific work" on reincarnation to report but on this page website
    (plus related linked pages) I have endevoured to make an exact account of the steps which I took to obtain personal insight into reincarnation. Prior to adopting this approach I was the most unbelieving of scientists. I worked mainly from the idea that physical reality was all there is.

The steps I outline actually took me about 10 years to negotiate. Nothing worth having is ever obtained easily (or so it seems to me). Since I was so set in my "non spiritual" ways before doing this I even suppose that others might experience the same turn-around via this method. It is obviously not the only way to go for indeed there are many others as well. But this one I certainly know can work. Since affecting my own "turn-around" I have had experience in assisting others to see their own past lives but for obvious reasons this does not count as "research" into past lives as indicated in the thread initiation.
    Regards

------------------
    Robin

[This message has been edited by Goldenage (edited 01-08-2003).]

14. Deborah

Hi Robin,

Thank you for sharing -- your scientific background and your perspective regarding reincarnation. It's nice having you here.

Many people are addicted to the information age-- facts and data. We so often forget that there is another kind of knowledge that is possible -an inner knowledge that transcends statistical information (which sometimes becomes obsolete in just hours.)

Information is only as good as the mind that receives it, and cognitive arrogance regarding spiritual matters is always unfortunate. Thank goodness more and more people like you who have stepped out of the information box and into the realms of gnosis.
    ------------------
    Deborah

"I have no more words. Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face." ---Rumi

How to donate to this forum - read here ;)

Oscar FRYE likes this.
  15. Deborah

I ran across some interesting information today. An Israeli doctor - and professor of medicine; also the head of health services in the Gaza Strip - wrote a book called - From Doctor to Spiritual Healer- his name is Eli Lasch.

His experiences with patients regarding reincarnation helped him revolutionize his entire "conventional doctor" ways. His stories -- are outstanding!

------------------
    Deborah

"I have no more words. Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face." ---Rumi

How to donate to this forum - read here ;)

16. GreenKnight

GreenKnight Senior Registered

I am not sure whether anyone already mentioned this but there is a book by Donald Morse a Professor at Temple University. It is called "Searching for Eternity". Very interesting.

17. jesusisjustalright

Hey, Susie,

I agree with what you said. When I listened to my peers, especially my Christian peers, I got mad. But I got to the point where I said, "you know what? I don't need to listen to them, I'm going to go my own way and do what I think is right!" You know what? Once I did, I felt peace. I felt as if a burden was lifted from me and I was all right! It's truly a wonderful feeling!

Thanks for the compliment about my username! But I can't take all the credit. "Jesus is Just Alright" is a title of a Doobie Brothers' song and a DC Talk song.

:) Love and Light,

jesusisjustalright

18. IzzyIzzyIzzy

IzzyIzzyIzzy Senior Registered

Hey!

With you on that one entirely...I'm a Christian, and the looks I get from people at church when they realise I believe 'in that...stuff' is amazing! They suddenly skirt around it, or look at you sideways, asking 'when you became interested in these...eastern ideas'. I laugh and quote scripture that proves it, but still! It's incredible!

And I completely agree that it is one of those things in life that you 'know' without being told. I reckon there are so many things that we could learn if we began to listen to our hearts and souls, not just our thoughts. I've always believed in reincarnation...my cousin says I asked her what it was when I was 2, it took her ages to work out what I was saying because it was such a big word and I couldn't get it out right, had to explain it in laymens terms. Crazy.....But it wasn't until recently that I really have believed. I think its something I've always known, but I haven't really done anything with that knowledge because of the stigma attached by society.

Oh yeah...love that Jesus is Just Alright song, and I forgot about it...must find it again:D Good choice!

19. jesusisjustalright

Hey, Deborah!

Has anybody mentioned Elizabeth Clare Prophet's Reincarnation: The Missing Link in Christianity and Karma and Reincarnation, co-written by Patricia R. Spadaro? I love those books, they are phenomenal, and I would recommend them to all who are seeking Truth! Reincarnation: The Missing Link in Christianity is a very thorough, complete book that pretty much explains the history of reincarnation and the church! Must-reads!

Another must-read is The Lost Years of Jesus! Some people wonder what did Jesus do and where did he go during his lost years? I say, read that book. It's also by Elizabeth Clare Prophet.

Also, another book I would highly recommend is Why Jesus Taught Reincarnation by Dr. Herbert Bruce Puryear, an ordained minister, too! Phenomenal books! If I were a Bible college professor, I'd give these people "A"s! These books are Gold!!

20. jesusisjustalright

21. petercalvert

petercalvert Senior Registered

Science of psychology/spirituality/reincarnation

Hi Deborah,
    My post is too long, so see part two as well.
    Part One:

Do you know of the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology?

It carries on the work of William James/Carl Jung/Abraham Maslow/Stanislav Grof/Charles Tart.
    Thanks for your thread intiations on these topics.

Cheers
    Peter in China

22. Deborah

This thread is focused on the interest that science has in the premise of reincarnation. As stated in the original post -

23. Deborah

I am reading a great book right now titled Science and the Akashic Field - An Intergral Theory of Everything by Ervin Laszlo. A scientist is looking at the possibilities ---this guy has four Ph.D's and was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. ;)

24. Deborah

Bruce Lipton Ph.D has a new book out called The Biology of Belief He is a cell Biologist and he talks about reincarnation later in the book. I have not gotten that far yet - but I will keep you posted. I continue to be fascinated by the individuals - who put their degree's and their careers on the line; when they share their research - research that supports our spiritual experiences - we all benefit :):):).

25. Deborah

Just quoting myself here - in the hope that new members can see - they are not alone.

26. wrinkle

wrinkle New Member

The Scalpel and the Soul: Encounters with Surgery, the Supernatural, and the Healing Power of Hope

by Allan J. Hamilton

This book is not about reincarnation per se, but it is looking into possibility that soul survives the body. Dr. Hamilton is Harvard trained neurosurgeon who writes about his patients close to death experiences. I didn't read it yet, it is on my list though. I heard about it on the radio show called Interfaith Voices which often explores science-mind-spirituality connections. Here is Dr. Hamilton's website:

http://www.allanhamilton.com/index.html

27. Jeanp

Jeanp Senior Registered

Hello Jesusisalright

I've just founded this thread.

Only a minority of christian do believe in reincarnation.

As a christian, I've always believed that the reincarnation exist and that Jesus did come on earth to offer us the freedom from karma for those who accept to follow him.

Bye

Jean

28. usetawuz

usetawuz Senior Registered

I loved this book...and now have another five of his small but dense volumes...I find it amazing that his TOE jibes so cleanly with quantum research...and the idea that the "akasha" is the "material" that provides not only a recording of everything, including every aspect of each of us, but it also forms the connections between each of us and everything else in existence on every dimension...really a cool view to try to get your head around.

29. LittleBobby

LittleBobby New Member

Here is a link to some case histories of some people that attempted to replicate the work that Anderson did in his "Twenty Cases Suggestive of Reincarnation".

30. Deborah

I thought perhaps newer members might find some interesting sources in this thread or have something to share.

Does anyone know of any resources not listed in this thread? Know of any interesting facts or possibly new books?