Have you ever seen a ghost?

Discussion in 'Parapsychology' started by Kristopher, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Shiftkitty

Shiftkitty Registered User

Dolls... *shudder*... creepy little things... ugh! Wuxin, if you ever find yourself in the States, you've got to look me up! We're too much alike! LOL I have never liked dolls! Those blank, corpse-like faces, staring numbly... the stuff of nightmares, I tell ya! (I won't watch "The Grudge" with you, though. I found it boring, but then it was the American release I saw. We could make some popcorn and watch "The Exorcist" though... ;) )

2. Poetess

Poetess Banned

All I can say is be careful what you wish for. I have been dealing with the paranormal (good and bad) all my life. Once you open that door it will never close. But I hope you do have a first pleasant experience. If I had to tell you about mine, it would be too long!

3. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

Hi Poetess, and welcome to the Forum!

Speaking for myself as a frustrated seeker of any kind of spiritual sense of connection, I have often felt deprived and severely rejected by the spiritual world for not having had any experience with ghosts. So, I very much value your insight concerning this subject. I do very much look forward to hearing more about your experience.

4. hydrolad

hydrolad Senior Moderator Super Moderator

To Nightrain:

In your case and not being condescending, but ghosts may not feel the need to assist you, because no assistance is needed.

While NONE of us is perfect, some are more highly evolved than others, and perhaps the need to assist you isn’t needed.

I say this without bragging, but I haven’t really seen a full or half body apparition since I was a small child, only felt, heard, smelled or sensed evidence of one since then, having never seen one since a small child.

Does this make you (or I) more perfect, No, not at all, it just means in “stumbling” through life, I (we) haven’t “alarmed” the ghosts enough to help us.

It’s like watching a baby practicing walking, you just watch them taking steps until they stumble, then you lend them a hand.

5. Shiftkitty

Today's Morning Incident

I got up about 6:30 AM. I let the cat into the room while I got dressed. He likes to burrow under the blankets and swat at me while I get ready to face the morning. After getting dressed I headed for the kitchen, a path that takes me past the computer room, where the cat usually sleeps at night. After getting the coffee pot started, I headed back for the bathroom, a route that takes me past the computer room once again. I let the coffee brew while I brush my hair, wash my face, and handle all other such morning rituals. I came out of the bathroom and the light to the computer room was on and my computer was fired up to the password screen.

My husband was still asleep and there was nobody else in the house.

6. hydrolad

Most of my “Paranormal” events are related to the mind, for instance knowing when the phone will ring or I will see someone.

The old people here in the South used to talk about various parts of the body itching, for instance, if the nose itched, someone was going to visit, if either hand itched, you were going to gain or lose money (I forget which hands).

If your ears itched, someone was talking about you.

And if your butt itched, it meant your pack of sorry, no count relatives was coming to visit you for a week! LMAO

So it appears to me that your mind can strongly influence your body (Hey DOCTOR’S, listen up) and cause changes to occur!

I haven’t seen a full (FBA) or half bodied apparition (HBA) since my childhood, but I do catch images or movements out of the corner of my eyes, that is, in my peripheral vision sometimes.

So if I suddenly see a FBA or a HBA, I’m going to definitely sit up and take notice!!! :laugh:

7. Kristopher

Kristopher Senior Registered

Brilliant stories everyone! :D

As I said, I haven't seen anything that I would say was paranormal in any way. I have, however, had a couple of 'weird experiences.' I should have mentioned this when I created this thread but it wasn't on my mind.

One time I woke up during the night and had a horrible feeling that someone/thing was standing in my room, at my door, looking at me. This was a bit too frighting for me to the point that I didn't turn over in my bed to have a look:laugh:. Maybe this was due to just wakening up and still being in 'dream mode' but it really was a strong sense that I was being watched and I didn't like it one bit. Maybe some of you have had this feeling before too?

My other 'encounter' was fairly recent. It was about 7am one morning. I was going back to sleep. It felt like someone placing their hand softly on my bed covers, and then the covers felt like they were being tugged at even so slightly. I could also hear the noise of the covers moving. When it stopped, I looked but nothing was there. I wasn't scared at all when I felt this. I knew that if I looked when it was happening probably nothing would be there or it would have stopped so I just stayed still to experience it. The interesting thing, though, is that when I told my grandmother (I live with her) she told me that she has had this happen to her several times.

However, I've still had no visual sightings lol:(

8. Ignotus

Ignotus Senior Registered

I'll let you know if I went to the states :D but I don't think my mom would like it lol they go mad if I watch paranormal movies. But the only movie I swear I'm not watching fully till 18 is Schindler's List. I only watch Amon Goth parts. Scary. Might as well be a paranormal movie

9. Shiftkitty

"Schindler's List" is an awesome movie. I loved it.

For the record, we finally broke down and called Modesto Paranormal Investigations to come and check out our house. I called them and they asked what sort of things were happening. I asked for an e-mail address instead and, while still on the phone with the case manager, sent a 4 page report. She scanned it and then said she wanted to read it thoroughly. The following day she called me back, eager to get her team out here. They'll be out Friday, Nov 4th for the preliminary interview.

I hope we get some activity while they're here. Otherwise it's going to be like taking your car to the shop only to have it stop making that funny noise as soon as you roll it in!

10. Owl

Owl Super-alt Mitglied

I' m currently living in a house with the family ghost, Max =D. I moved to my grandma' s house in march this year, after my grandma went to a retirement place. Some background information:

_When this house was bought back in 1983 my grandparent's were told that there were ghosts in it.

_ My grandma always said that there was a ghost named Max, that he was a very elegant man, and that sometimes he appeared as he was a skeleton (since my grandma is bonkers nobody really took her seriously)

_ My brothers were small and they were having dinner at my grandparent' s. My grandpa started laughing, and he said that Max was hugging my brothers and touching my mom' s head (since my grandpa was always drunk... nobody took him seriously)

Now i' m living here:

_ I was really sleepy and about to fall asleep, when i heard these voices, they sounded like Parseltongue, i asked "What is that??" ... nobody in the room but me had heard anything

_ Stuff in the wall was moving and there was no way it could be the wind.

_ I see a guy in a suit in the room, i look again and nothing was there.

_ Somebody who didn' t know the story about the ghost said that he dreamt that there was a ghost standing still in the living room ... and he was dressed in a suit.

I' m proud of living in Max' s house, i think it' s kinda cool too that he probably knew me since i was a kid. I think he is a good ghost.

11. Shiftkitty

Max likes Harry Potter? LOL, okay, sounds good to me! I like the series myself!

So what do you guys think? I know this is a law in some places, but should a person selling or renting a house be required to say if the place is supposedly haunted? I'm inclined to say 'no' because there is no empirical evidence for ghosts, and many things that people claim are ghosts turn out to be mundane in origin. A person could lose the ability to get a fair price for his property if unsubstaniated rumors are levied against it, and someone with a vendetta against the seller/landlord could start a rumor of his own just to be mean. However, if it's common knowledge that a place is allegedly haunted, such as the Amityville house, tenants of a property could find themselves subject to harrassment, sight-seers, strangers invading hoping to see the ghost, etc. Plus, if there really is a ghost, the tenants could be put at risk. Even a benevolent ghost can startle people, and if a tenant has heart problems, that coul dbe bad news no matter what.

Who deserves more protection, the seller (against something that isn't even considered fact but fantasy) or the buyer (who might be stepping into an annoying, if not dangerous, situation)?

Also, if a seller or landlord is required to mention any possible ghosts, might it be used as a way to discriminate? "Hmm, I need to rent this apartment out, but this family looks like they crawled out from a third world trash heap. The income is good and I have no reason not to rent to them, but I don't want 'lettuce pickers' in this building. I know, I'll mention the ghost. People from this culture are usually pretty superstitious. It's not discrimination if they decide on their own not to live here!"

12. usetawuz

usetawuz Senior Registered

While each state differs, Florida requires a disclosure of anything that will materially impact the value of the house. For somethe disclosure that it might be haunted could actually elevate the value, while for others it would impact value negatively. The point is the buyer has the right to be fully informed of all aspects of the house...to the best of seller's ability to convey it. If the seller doesn't know and it turns out to be haunted, no harm no foul.

13. Totoro

Totoro Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

such a feature as a ghost may actually help you sell your home down here now :laugh:

14. Mama2HRB

Mama2HRB Senior member

I sold our old very much haunted house. The man who built the house was there and he got quite angry when anything happened to damage the home. For instance, my oldest once dropped something and chipped the hardwood floor.

In an instant the leaded glass fixture flew off the wall and into the room. Luckily my youngest saw the hand grab it and throw it and kicked a 4 foot stuffed Barney into the path of the fixture, and it landed on him.

Barney to the rescue ... lol ...

Anyway, to my point. The family who bought the home has done extensive remodeling. I wonder if they have seen or heard anything yet.

They do have a little one .. I wonder if she has started to see the little black dog yet....

15. hydrolad

The old house I grew up in (my Grand-Mothers) was in our family from it’s very beginning, having been built by my Grand-Father, and only my family had ever lived there.

That’s not to say the land might have had some issues, but I’m not for sure.

The house could best be described as rambling, having been added on as the need arose, a cross between a one story bungalow and a shotgun house.

In addition to seeing an apparition of my Great-Grandmother in her Bedroom (mentioned in another post) there were numerous sounds that were different from the usual settling of an old house.

Whether these isolated sounds were indicative of a paranormal incident, I don’t know for sure.

I do know, if an outside ghost ever came around, my stern and commanding Grand-Mother would have chased them down the block with a rolling pin! :laugh:LMAO

16. igotplans2

igotplans2 New Member

A ghost experience from my childhood

When I was young, there was a period of a few months during which a dark shadow figure would appear briefly at the end of my bed. It vaguely had the form of a man. I could always sense when it was there and wake up, and it would terrify me. It seemed menacing even though it just stood there. Once, it moved closer to me, but then disappeared. I was paralyzed by it every time. At that time, I shared a room with my much younger sister. I believe she was three when the scariest event took place. One night right after seeing the figure, I felt like something was choking me. I panicked, but it let go after a few seconds. I was lying there trying to figure out what had just happened to me and what to do when I noticed my little sister raise up on one elbow across the room and start coughing. I asked her what was wrong, and she managed to sputter, "I just felt like some hands came out of the wall beside me and grabbed my throat." Well, that was all it took to get me moving! I grabbed her up and ran out the front door. Our bedroom was the one closest to the front of the house, so I didn't bother to go to my parents room, to yell, or anything. I just got us the heck outta there! Once outside, I was too scared to go back in. It was probably about 4:00 A.M., but summer and warm out. So I just held my sister close on a bench we had on our wraparound porch until the sun came up and my dad came out to get the newspaper. It was only then that I felt it was safe to go back in. My parents didn't know quite how to respond, since it was a shared experience. My sister and I wouldn't sleep without a night light for quite a while after that. :freak:

17. TurquoiseLover

TurquoiseLover Banned

I have seen plenty of ghosts/poltergeist activity in one lifetime. I believe this allowed me to open up my third eye and was able to catch a presence of a faerie, as an adult, not a child.

18. igotplans2

igotplans2 New Member

My Ghost Cat

I've had a wide variety and long history of paranormal activity in my life, and am currently penning a book on them. But one of the most fun topics is that of my ghost cat. I suppose I should have given it a name by now, since it's been with me since 1996, but it's still just Ghost Cat, or G.C. The most interesting aspect of G.C. is that he (really not sure if it's male or female) is definitely attached to me and not a place, as he's followed me through six moves and four different cities. His visits are unpredictable and vary quite a bit. There are times when he's not around for months, but will pop up and hang around for a few days or weeks at a time. G.C. is a sweetheart, and most often visits me in bed. Mostly it's at night, but sometimes he comes around when I'm just lounging on the bed during the day. Typically, I'll know he's there when I feel him land on the bad and start walking around my feet and legs. There was a time when I had a very high bed with oak sideboards, and you could hear the sound up nails on the wood as he seemed to be trying to get a good footing to jump up.

For a long time, all G.C. ever did was hang around on the lower part of the bed, but he became bolder and more active once I started talking to him and urging him to come closer, and then again when we got two flesh & blood cats. There's nothing more fascinating to me than watch their interaction, because they find G.C. both intriguing and confounding. Probably that appearing and disappearing thing that gets them. LOL But I watch them watch G.G., follow him, sniff where they've seen him disappear, and once my youngest cat even cornered him, got swatted, and fell backward. A couple of weeks ago, the two cats were hanging out under a table together, and I'm pretty sure G.C. popped up there and gave them a real shock. Both of them turned around at the same moment, and then bolted in two different directions faster than I've ever seen them move. They banged into a door and furniture as they ran, and one hid under a bed, the other behind a couch for quite a while afterward.

On just three occasions in fifteen years, G.C.'s gotten close enough to my head for me to actually hear a tiny meow. Twice, he sat above my head on my pillow. On another occasion, I got really curious as to just how much a spirit cat could interact with me, and with how many of my senses. I spent quite a bit of time one morning talking to him quietly and coaxing him to come close, and then I leaned over and asked him to give me a kiss, just as I do my other cats. I was thrilled to feel an actual little wet nose on mine! Now, there's just one thing that I find a bit annoying about G.C., which is his recent tendency to wander under my desk when I'm on the computer. I can feel him around my legs. There's not a lot of space under there, and I sometimes wind up jostling cords and half unplugging things in the process.

About a year ago, my kids also began to have visits from G.C., usually during the day. He brushes up against their legs, and has meowed in my daughter's ear once. And in the past few months, I've finally begun to actually see G.C. out of the corner of my eye, or in a very faint apparition form. It's probably just a matter of time before I can see him more fully, and only because I'm finally getting to the place where I'm not so terrified by the idea of seeing full-bodied apparitions. Still, I'm not sure how I'll react if and when that happens.

19. Lawyer Daggett

Lawyer Daggett New Member

Some years ago I was staying in a country house a friend. I was sleeping on a camp bed. It was mid summer and quite hot, but the room felt freezing and I could not keep warm.

Subsequently other visitors experienced the same thing and I was advised that it was believed that in Victorian times a parson committed suicide in the room and that it had been his study.

20. hydrolad

Some researchers in the Paranormal field believe that when a spirit/soul manifests itself in the physical world, it draws on energy here to do so.

Since heat is a form of energy, it is believed that their manifestation in our plane draws the heat out of the atmosphere and renders it colder.

In fact one of the cardinal signs of a spirit/soul appearance is the sudden change in temperature and investigators are trained to look for such a sign.

This phenomena is not restricted to just researchers, but tales have been passed down from generation to generation concerning this very sign!

21. usetawuz

usetawuz Senior Registered

On a ghost tour through Alexandria, VA my wife was suddenly stricken by nausea and nearly incapacitated; she couldn't stand up and I had to leave the tour and obtained a cab back to our hotel. By the time we got in the cab she was cautiously but definitely feeling better, and within an hour we met up with our friends who had continued the tour and had cocktails and dinner.

It wasn't until years later I read that some ghosts or beings can cause symptoms like my wife displayed...nausea and an incapacitating effect. Despite this information and the sudden beginning and end of her symptoms, she still has no belief in ghosts.

22. hydrolad

I’m not sure about deja-vu of Past Lives connected with inclement weather, I haven’t done enough research/reading on the phenomena to properly address the subject. :confused:

However to address a subject that is related to that thread, but not entirely related to Reincarnation and Past Lives (PL), I have chosen to fold this post into this thread by virtue of it's subject matter. :)

I am referring to the appearance and/or the manifestation of apparitions, either Full Body (FBA) or Partial Body (PBA) during the course of a weather event with electrical activity in the atmosphere.

Evidence supports the research that a spirit/soul form or entity needs external energy in order to manifest itself into our physical plane, which by virtue of being occupied by physical bodies that have a lower vibratory rate, the soul/spirit has to lower it’s vibratory rate to be seen by most people.

This adjustment in the vibratory rate by the soul/spirit uses a tremendous amount of energy that it might not have, and thus it needs to draw energy from somewhere else.

This “somewhere else” is usually the power packs found in camera’s, laptops and other high powered devices.

In fact the rapid loss of battery power for no apparent reason is rapidly becoming a sign amongst Paranormal Investigators that an entity may be in the area and trying to manifest itself to try and be seen.

23. Shiftkitty

The team that's coming out to my house told me about an investigation they did in Stockton where their batteries, which were not brand new but certainly not old and worn out, all drained down 100% within 15 minutes.

usetawuz

LOL, my eyes read "incapacitated", but my brain translated "decapitated". I thought, "Dang! I gotta hear about this!!!" Heh, whoopsie!

24. hydrolad

To Shiftkitty:

The spirit’s, it seems, are greedy little things, when it comes to battery packs.

I wonder if one could store the battery packs in lead lined cases to protect them until they are needed?

Please let us know what the team finds out about your house. :)

25. Ignotus

Ignotus Senior Registered

Ooh, ghost busters! :D :D

Here, there are lots of ghost hunters, pheh, my grandmothers are ones, my uncles and aunts are healers, my mother and her brothers have the third eye... You can even find them at the local temple.

I remembered in school, there was a ghost on the fourth floor. I did not believe it at first as they love telling tall tales. But my sister and her ex-friends (except one) tried to become ghost busters there. I went up to that room as I heard screams and saw all of them, pressed against the wall with bricks all over that place and they drew holy exorcism symbols on the floor in water. But I told them, the ghost wasn't evil and you're entering his home. Say excuse me. And he never bothered them again. They actually went up to practise dancing.

PS. In my country and all around South-East Asia, there's a book on paranormals and stuff by Russell Lee. I don't think his books are on America and all but he seems like an old soul. We don't even know how he looks like; the author loves wearing a black mask! Its called Singapore's True Ghost Stories. Mostly, people all over Malaysia, Singapore and all writes their paranormal stories to him but he writes articles about things like aliens,end of the world and all. Best of all, its cheap and almost every student has one. (Well, of course, its used as instant birthday gifts)

PS. Maybe I'll email him for a reincarnation article... I have seen a slight mention on it when he talked about NDE. And only one PL story there.

26. Raptor95

Raptor95 member

WOW! Shiftkitty

Me to :D

I did a double take...and re-read it.

The brain is a tricky part of our body that loves to play with our psyche :rolleyes:

27. Shiftkitty

Raptor95 Great minds think alike! :D

Modesto Paranormal had their case manager call me (they have about 48 people in their group, I think) and she was surprised that I interviewed her at the same time she was interviewing me on the phone! What cases have you worked? What are your methods? What are your technical backgrounds? Yadda yadda... Basically, I didn't want someone who was going to ascribe every little creak and groan in the house to ghosts. I will definitely do a ghost-post!

28. Leesea

Leesea Senior Registered

So many stories here that are so interesting and it took me like forever to read through them. Will be looking forward to what Modesto Paranormal finds at your place Shiftkitty.

I walked into my house after grocery shopping one sunny day and as I put bags on the counter I saw this what I thought looked like a moth-like thing flittering in the air. I was enthralled with it, and as I walked toward it staring it spiraled downward in slow motion and fitted itself onto the handle of a lower cabinet.

So I thought that the breeze on the leaves on the trees outside left a dappling shady effect through the window and what I saw was probably a shadow. A shadow that as I approached mingled with the handle that I probably saw out of the corner of my eye while I was staring so intensely.

Although later I thought no because the grocery bags blocked my view of the handle so I couldn't in my vision superimpose the shadow with handle until I got very close to see over the bags on the counter. So I ruled that out and then it left me with a feeling that it was some kind of brain dysfunction. Hahaaa

29. Mama2HRB

Mama2HRB Senior member

The house I used to live in had much paranormal activity, and not all of it was good. I spent a good amount of time talking to the Ryan and Sergei from Paranormal State and they did some background work on her, looking for either a medical or psychological reason for what was happening. In the end both girls decided they did not want to be seen as freaks and we dropped the story. We also moved from the home.

I sometimes wonder if the new couple that bought our home have seen the man or his dog yet ... or encountered the awful spirit on the stairway ... or the children who fight in the dining room ...

Hopefully they are clueless.

30. Mama2HRB

Mama2HRB Senior member

As for spirits stealing energy, I have all but given up on some of the lights in my home. My family cannot imagine why I have issues with the lighting when my sister never did when she lived in the same building.

I just tell them it is because the ghosts didn't like her. LMAOLMAO