How do you experience your memories?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Truthseeker, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Truthseeker

Truthseeker Former Moderator

The other day I was learning about how people process information differently. Some people are more visual, some auditory, others are more kinesthetic.... This effects how we learn and how we communicate with other people.

This got me thinking that this could effect how we experience our memories. One person could be seeing images while another is remembering sounds or smells. Some people could remember in the form of feelings, emotions, physical touch, or combination of things.

My question to everyone is how have you experienced your memories?

When I remember something I usually have an image in my head. Sometimes it is from a third-person perspective where I am watching a scene. Other times I experience it from a first-person perceptive where I feel like I'm in the flesh in that moment. When this happens it is a much more powerful experience. Not only do I feel the physical interaction with my environment, but I can also feel internally how I felt at that time. The last time this happened I saw something new. It was my most recent life. I was working as a cashier in a store. Not only could I put my hand out and feel the cold countertop, but I could also feel the boredom working there. :laugh: Business was slow, and I was just standing there with nothing to do. Not a particularly interesting memory :rolleyes: but, hey, it was something new.

I do hear some things that are said, but wish I heard more (I'd love to experience xenoglossy :D). Usually I just get the jist of what's going on, or have an internal knowing. I have yet to taste or smell anything.

Would anyone else like to share? I am interested in knowing. :cool

2. kemetic18

kemetic18 Senior Registered

I am a very visual person - show me how to do something and I can copy it. Tell me how to do something and it's much harder. So I am not surprised that most of my PL memories are visual from a first-person perspective. I intrinsically know things such as who people are how they are related to me. I can feel the emotions I had at that moment that feels very distinct from who I am today.

I also experience touch/sensations. I had a memory from my life in ancient Egypt where I could clearly feel the woven reed bed beneath me. The weave had a very distinct feel and the bed "gave" a little as I moved on it.

Interestingly, I don't hear much in my memories. Sometimes I can hear someone talking (usually if they are speaking directly to me) or some background noise, but most often its as though someone has turned down the volume. Very frustrating. :(

Just as I drifting off to sleep the other night, I saw quick memory from my life in Poland during WWII. I was walking down a busy street and looking at a small book I was carrying in my hands. I could hear the faint "click-click" of my heels on the sidewalk but no other background noise. It simply felt like a mundane, daily chore - I felt no emotion. Physically I could feel my coat brushing my legs as I walked, the cool air against my skin. That's usually what I experience - a quick first-person image.

Now here's another question on experiencing memories - if you hear someone speaking to you in a memory are they speaking English so you can understand them (or whatever your native language is in this life)? Or are they speaking the correct language for the location/time period of the memory? Can you hear those words or just somehow understand what is being said?

3. Laurasia

Laurasia Senior Registered

For myself the vast bulk of my recollections come much like a flashback would...as Truthseeker has described. They are usually in the first-person perspective with myself feeling/thinking as I did in that particular lifetime. It is only after I have left the memory that my own "consciousness" gets applied to most recollections.

In regards to language, I have experienced it in more than one way. Sometimes I am speaking & listening to the native language & can somehow filter it & thusly undertstand/use it. Most often everything just comes out in English (my native tongue), even if everyone in a memory should be speaking something else. :laugh:

Sincerely,

Laurasia

4. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Emeritus Staff Member Super Moderator

Same goes for me :) I experience most my memories in dreams and meditation, and when that happens, I am right there, in the flesh, experiencing it as if it is actually happening to me at that moment.

Other times a memory can be 'triggered' by things such as music, an odour, even a facial expression or a certain posture can trigger a 'feeling' more than a memory. When this happens, I 'feel' like the person who I was in a past life, like a subtle reminder.

As for 'foreign' language, I've experienced this a couple of times and it's difficult to describe (for me) I can find myself talking to someone in a language that is foreign to me in my present life, but I just 'know' what they are saying tome, and what I'm saying in reply, there is nothing that I can compare this experience to. Yet if I were to write down the words being spoken, and then study them or hear them again as 'me' in my present life, I would have no clue as to what the translation would be. Also, I can only ever recall a few words, maybe a sentence of this foreign language, after I've finished meditating, and if I don't write it down straight away, it's quickly forgotten.

I think xenoglossy is a great personal validation when I've never spoken any other language apart from English (and a little bit of French and Latin at school) but Spanish? I've never had any contact with that language in my present life, yet here I am, often speaking it fluently in my dreams and meditations. :laugh:

5. Truthseeker

Thank you for your replies. :thumbsup:

I learned that auditory thinkers tend to thrive on the details. They make good writers and good storytellers. Visual thinkers focus more on the 'big picture.' They're more straight forward and to-the-point. I'm definately more of a visual style. I'd say that I'm someone who often chases the big picture and trips over the details. :D

That's a great question. I remember two a American lives, so those are English-speaking lives. I also remember two French and a German life. In this case, it's kind of hard to explain. I don't hear many things being said. If I do, it's usually not English. If they're speaking French, for example, word-for-word I have no clue what is being said. It sounds like gibberish, but I have an internal 'knowing' what is being said. It's like I can't translate, but I can paraphrase. I hope that makes sense.
    It would be cool if I could spontaneously start speaking French, but so far - no. :rolleyes:

Like I said, I don't actually 'hear' very much conversation. My very first complete past life memory, I remembered my most resent life. I only heard one word. I was in my house walking to the kitchen, and I heard myself call out "Mama." To hear my own voice as that of a teenage girl with a southern American accent was strange feeling.

6. kemetic18

kemetic18 Senior Registered

Makes perfect sense to me! :thumbsup:

A lot of my memories about my life in ancient Egypt were dreams I had and in several of them, I was being spoken to by my husband in that life. I could hear him speaking in Egyptian yet somehow I *knew* what he was saying to me.

I remember waking up and thinking that was really weird. :laugh:

7. Lulz

Lulz New Member

At times, I experience past lives through dreams that I seem to have several times. There have been other instances where something has triggered me into having a flashback, such as a smell, an accent, or seeing something that must remind me of my past life without me noticing, if that makes sense.

I remember a memory I had in the form of a dream once. I was outside, walking to the door of where I worked. I was dreaming, but I could even feel the cold from being outside.

Typically, I remember things from a first person point of view, and also, usually everything is in english, but once, I remember, everything everyone was saying to me was in German, but unfortunately, I don't know any German, and I haven't ever spoken it at random.

8. sarque

sarque New Member

I experience my memories almost entirely in dreams. I have been professionally regressed, but for the most part, my memories have come to me in dreams. In fact, I dismissed them for quite awhile, despite them feeling 'different' than normal dreams, because I thought that they were 'just dreams' and not indicative of anything else.

I don't really know whether my dreams are in English, oddly enough. I know that in those lives I didn't speak English, but I understand the language in the dreams. There was one where I know for a fact that it was German--and I do speak some German--but I understood it as though it were English. Very odd, that. I've never spontaneously started speaking in a foreign language to me, although German does come very easy to me.

9. Truthseeker

This is the same for me. If what is going on is not in English, I may not be to tell you word-for-word what is being said, but I just know what's going on. I, too, know some German, but not enough to carry on a conversation. But German does seem to come naturally to me. I this life whenever I hear German or French being spoken (even though I don't know any French) I feel like I should know what's being said, even when I don't.

10. GoldFish65

GoldFish65 New Member

You know, if someone had told me six years ago that I'd be part of a past life forum I would have laughed them out of town. It definitely wasn't something I believed in until I had my own strange experience with past life recall.

Five years ago, in my role as medium, I was helping a young man work through the grief process after his mom died. In the course of things I became very emotionally attached to him....in a maternal way. Since this went against my ethical values I started questioning why I felt as I did. I certainly had no vested interest in his life. Feeling that it had more to do with the past than the present I sought the help of a regressionist. That's when I learned the details. Stewart had been my son in 1867 and was taken from me by his mom from this life. Sounds weird, I know. There are far more details to this than I can share in one post, but the fact is I remembered those details as if they were relevant to this life. It was as though my soul woke up from a coma to find the child I'd given birth to had been raised by someone else....and I wanted my baby back. I don't know if anyone has ever experienced PLR in this way, but I'd like to know.

When Stewart and his fiancee went away to get married I felt that I was missing out on one of the most important events of my life...seeing my son get married. It was the craziest feeling. As a result of the emotional chaos caused by my soul's awakening I've decided never to do another past life journey...and it's been part of my healing process to join this forum and read about other people's experiences.

Many thanks for sharing.

11. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

Hi Goldfish65,

I was actually quite moved by your post and interested in your process. I think others might be too.

If you don't mind sharing I would like to read about your experience. There is something about your statement to not do another past life journey that makes me wonder why? Have you read any books about PL's? Carol's? I am curious.

I think because of your intuitive nature, which I can relate to, you are more sensitive to recall and your ability to heal helpful to others. Please feel free to start a new thread.

12. Rod

Rod Senior Registered

A most interesting question...

Thank you for asking this! Oddly, it is an aspect that I have never considered in looking at these experiences, as I am aware of these different styles of perception and I try to use them in effectively communicating with people in this present life.

In order to remember anything from a past life, it would logically follow that there are three components: input, storage, and retrieval from the soul. While we know extremely little about the first two of these processes, it is the last one that we use to obtain our information. Thus, it is reasonable to form a hypothesis that one's present life style of information retrieval would be the dominant factor; this is consistent with the few data points we have in this thread, and with my own experience. However I believe there may be another twist, and hope others will respond to this question --

If you have memories of more than one past life, are they equally visual or auditory or tactile, etc. for each of the lives?

I ask this because in pondering the most recent previous lifetime, everything has come to me in an almost identical way to how I remember and process things in this life (which is auditory, precise, detailed with a rather cinematic view of the big picture). However in the life before that, there is more tactile and kinisthetic memory than in the present or most recent life. It is a subtle difference, not a total shift. This is something I have never considered before reading and responding to this post. Does anyone else notice a similar effect?

Perhaps the type of memories possible are foremost guided by how one accesses information in this lifetime, but are also coloured by the style of perception in the life being remembered, as that may affect what details were ever noticed or stored in the first place.

13. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

HI Rod,

Nice to see you here again!

I am a very visual person in this life. But also very sensitive to touch and feeling. Somewhere on the forum is a thread that talks about vibration and the senses. I'll see if I can find it for you. It's a fascinating subject- how we perceive thingsand remember. Woolger's Deep memory Process also falls into this category.

14. Sunniva

Sunniva Administrator Emeritus

Hi all :D

I find this subject very interesting since, apparantly, many people experience their past life memories very differently.

I often feel that I have to drag information out of my regression experiences. They're usually rather messy, fragmented, lots of stuff happening in a very short time. Afterwards, however, when I reflect upon the experience I realize the details in the environment, the people, the clothing, the emotion. But while I'm experiencing it I don't seem to notice it.

I can have spontaneous flashes that are quite detailed though and they pass through my brain at a much slower tempo than when I'm in a regression so I'm able to notice many of the details and even dwell in the moment.

I've never experienced a foreign language in a past life memory. Actually, mostly no one are speaking in my memories. The fact that people, like Chris, can experience a completely different language it very fascinating to me :)

15. stardis

stardis Senior Registered

That is an interesting thought.

I think that I have relished the experience of "being" in the past life memories that I have had and, for the most part, I have lived the same way in this life - reveling in the experience of the moment. For instance, being outside in the cold (to a point), the wind, the sun on your skin, the sound of waves, the night sounds or even the colors of the sky before darkness settles in - all seem to make life meaningful, almost like you are gathering experience. Even the worst of times: a graveside burial service in bitter January, watching a loved one take their last breath - there is a part of me that knows this experience is important even though I don't understand why.

The memory of drowning in a past life is valuable as experience - what it felt like to give up the struggle and be at peace and to think this is what it is like to die.

Those are the kinds of things that seem most important to me now and in past life memories. Even though in the pl memories I can feel the bodily sensations and hear the sounds like I am actually there in the moment, it is how it "feels" to be in the moment that seems to stand out to me. Does that make any sense?

16. Kapitan

Kapitan Probationary

Mine are almost always visual - either 'visions'/flashbacks or dreams. They are almost never in third person - I experienced the 'third person' form probably 3 times - so that's rare considering all of the memories I've had.

17. Marc Ross

Marc Ross Senior Registered

Bumping-up this thread;

It's been so long since I've had the time to do meditation exercises; as well as a long-time since I've experienced memories of interest.

Personally, meditation exercises (while listening-to audio recordings helpful towards meditative-states) on rare occasions provide quick, visual flashes of memories (strongly felt) to be relevant to a possible past-life. Memories are spontaneous.

Virtually, all of the memories of interest occurred within the first couple of years after starting meditative exercises with interest in past-life recall. It's been about eight-years since I've had meditative experiences of interest.

This leads to the questions: a.) Can the best memories occur as a beginner e.g., a "beginners luck of sorts?" b.) Can the best memories also occur after extended time periods away from meditation?

18. BethC

BethC Senior Registered

I tend to get auditory messages, usually in dreams, but sometimes during waking moments, as well. However, I have also had many dreams that were visual, as well. The ones that I tend to validate the best, seem to be more auditory. I think that makes sense because if they contain names, that gives me search terms to check out.