Irrational phobias

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by fussywidjit, Oct 17, 2005.

1. fussywidjit

fussywidjit New Member

I love water. I love to swim and it takes a lot to get me out. I love to be in pools, lakes, rivers, baths...etc. But there is one place you will never catch me......The OCEAN!!!!! I never understood the reason of this long time phobia. The horrible thoughts of drowning. But then I reason with myself and say that's crazy. You can drown in any other place. And then it happens. I was at school one day, ( I am a massage therapist), and we got a new vibro-accustic table in. I decided that I wanted to try this out.

So, my instructor put on this cd called balance. Very nice. The table starts vibrating on certain notes and I can hear the music. Very relaxing. I probably had been on there for about 25 minutes and the sound of the ocean comes on. Now mind you I am super relaxed. I see myself in an old ship with other people. We are very scared. We have been told that they are not accepting Jews in this new country and that we should go back. The ship turns around and then we start sinking.

I don't know what caused this to happen but all of us being in the belly of the ship and not able to get out was aweful. Then I feel myself starting to drown. I feel the water start entering my lungs. Now, remember that I am on this table, I can feel myself panic. I am taking deep breaths and telling myself that I am not drowning, that I am taking in air....But the drowning sensation is still there. Now you are probably asking yourself why doesn't she just get up from this. The answer is: I was so relaxed that I couldn't even move. I was stuck there, trying to get out of a nightmare that I had to relive again. You can't imagine how I felt after I was able to get off that table.

Anyone ever have this happen to them too?

2. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

Hi fussywidjit,

This sounds like it could possibly be a past life dream/memory to me. I remember when I was really little I had very vivid past life memories, especially through dreams. I learned very quickly how to control the situation, but I do understand the feeling of fear. This similarly happens to friends of mine who have had limited experience with meditation and regression. ;)

My Aunt (who also loves water), will not put her face into the pool or lake when swimming. She's fine with her body being submerged, but instantly panics if water touches her face.

I definitely believe that anything that brings a person that much terror, is past life related ;)

Ailish

3. fussywidjit

fussywidjit New Member

This was my first and only time to have this particular "memory". I am so happy to know that I am not the only that has gone through this. And as far as the ocean is concerned....I will always be a mountain girl...LOL.....Everyone else can have the ocean. :laugh:

4. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

Hello Fussywidjit and welcome to the forum!

It certainly sounds like you saw a glimpse of your past. You know, some people can overcome their phobia once they remember where it came from! I hope that happens to you. I suggest you try to remember more of this, for example by going to a regression therapist or trying self-regression.

Are you drawn to Jewish religion, people or culture? It seems you were a Jew, so if it was a happy life, you might still have positive feelings.

I have a phobia of deep, dark water, so I know what you're talking about. I'm also very afraid of sharks. I've always been, but in a last couple of years the fear of something attacking from below, when I'm in the water, has gone so bad I can't really swim when it's dark - not even in the lakes :rolleyes: . I don't know from which life this fear comes from, but I believe I've drowned several times in the past, and have possibly been attacked by a shark or something else in the water. One day not so long ago I felt I was drowning all day long. It sounds stupid, but I felt constantly I had to gasp air, and I had a feeling I was fighting for my life in the water and getting it into my mouth and lungs :butbut: .

Karoliina

5. fussywidjit

fussywidjit New Member

Karoliina,

I couldn't imagine having to feel like I was drowning all day. How horrible for you. I thought my few minutes was bad. I hope that you don't ever go through that again.

6. Karoliina

Oh luckily it wasn't that radical a feeling Fussywidjit. But when I was working or whatever that day this feeling came to me over and over again. It wasn't like a very bad nightmare, only a uncomfortable feeling and I could "feel" this event, like a film running inside my head, only it wasn't images but feelings.

It's really difficult to explain, especially in a foreign language :eek: .

Karoliina

7. Ruth

Ruth New Member

Phobias

Hi! Im new to the forum and I must say I was really happy to find that THERE is a place where you can discuss reincarnation with people without fear of being mocked at.

I haven't yet been regressed. Well I say this but I tried it once. I went to see a hypnotist and to be truthfull it was a big disaster. I have always, as far as I can remember belived in reincarnation. To me it is the only logical explanation.

Although I know nothing of my previous lives etc I'm curious to see if there is an explanation for my Phobia. I know people say that sometimes the cause can be found in a previous life.

As far as I can remember I have been terrified of needles or of anything entering my skin. I had the normal fear of injections when I was a kid but it seemed to become more and more severe. I remember being 10 and getting the nurse to chase me around the hospital as I was so terrified of that needle. At the age of 13 I passed out for the first time when I had to have yet another injection. I cannot stand looking at a syringe, even if its on the television, and Im terrified of cutting myself.

I burst into tears uncontrollably at the thought of having to have an injection or a blood test. When I was pregnant, they had to give me three valiums and three nurses had to hold me down to take my blood.

I truly hate this phobia. Its very difficult as I cant even have dental treatment because of it, not to mention the fact that I would be in trouble if I had to go into hospital.

Does anyone else suffer from it or knows a possible explanation?

Many thanks!:thumbsup:

Factsofpast likes this.
  8. Loneagle

Loneagle New Member

Irrational phobias

Hey guys,

I'm new here.

Are irrational phobias related to past lives?

I've always had a phobia of leather furniture. I can not go near any furniture made of leather without getting an uneasy feeling. I also have a stronger phobia of eating near or while on leather furniture.

I also can't stand looking at more then one or two spikes at one time. My eyes get so irratated just looking at a lot of spikes that I have to look away(like fence wire spikes, dead tree spikes, etc). The more spikes in one area at the same time the more irratated my eyes get.

9. Owl

Owl Super-alt Mitglied

It´s a quite unusual phobia to be scared of leather furniture, if you are sure nothing happened to you regarding them when you were small then i´d say yes, that it´s pl related.

Somewhere i read that a woman had a phobia for glasses of water, and then she remembered she once saw a cat drinking water from a glass and her stomach revolted, maybe your situation is similar, you could have seen a cow being killed, it shocked you, and leather furniture is why that cow was killed for. Or maybe it´s simpler, you could have seen something happening in a leather furniture, i don´t know, someone dying for example.

I´m not sure how spikes and leather furniture can be connected, maybe they ´re not and they are separed things. Try to think, in what place can you find both? i think there may be the answer.

10. tanguerra

tanguerra Moderator Emeritus

Personally, I would assume some bad experiences connected with leather furniture and spikes either in this life or previous ones (or both). I assume you have asked your parents and they have confirmed that there is no present life trauma concerning a couch that they are aware of? If so, that leaves previous lives.

Have you tried doing any meditation or similar to uncover what might be behind this? Have you taken a look in the FAQ section? There are a lot of tips in there on how to go about recovering past life memories. If the phobia is serious enough to be causing you real inconvenience and upset it is worth considering a professional regression to get to the bottom of it. Past life regression is particularly useful in dealing with 'irrational' fears and mysterious illnesses, aches and pains and so on which seem to have no scientific explanation.

If you had to 'make up' a story about why leather furniture upsets you, where would you start?

I hope you enjoy the forum and get a lot out of it.

11. Gilligan

Gilligan Probationary

Phobia of turning 18.

Shortly after I turned 17, I developed a phobia of turnig 18. Does any one know what this could mean? Thank You!

12. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

13. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Emeritus Staff Member Super Moderator

Hi Gilligan,

Welcome to the forum. That is an unusual phobia, can you give any more details? Do you feel that this phobia is past-life related in any way?

Deborah has provided you with a good link, take a moment to read it, after all, there's nothing you can do to avoid being 18, so this is something you will have to face sooner or later.

I hope you enjoy the forum.

Chris... :)

14. Gilligan

Gilligan Probationary

To ChrisR

Thank you for your response. I was wondering if it was past-life related. I was told by a psychic that I had died in World War II and thought this may have something to do with it. I used a pendulum to get more details and came up with age 24 as the time of my last death. I am now 45 years old but I remember the "age 18" phobia clearly. Thank You Deborah for the link.

15. lonewolf

lonewolf Senior Registered

Things I've hated since I was little:

Buttons. I loathe them. They're gross. I don't like seeing them on clothes. Worse, I hate seeing them lying in dusty corners. Yuck!

Apple skins. The feeling of those things between my teeth gives me monster goose pimples.

I also hate getting haircuts but that's probably a present-life thing.

Probably also present-life is my profound dislike of hospitals. A few years ago I had a routine physical and broke out in an awful cold sweat. Couldn't stand the doctor probing me.

Lonewolf

16. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Emeritus Staff Member Super Moderator

Do any of the newer members have an irrational phobia? They can often be a clue to a traumatic event experienced in a past life!

17. Truthseeker

Truthseeker Former Moderator

I don't have a lot of phobias. My biggest one right now is I am terrified of heights. If you put me on a high place and have me look over the edge, I will go weak in the knees and start to break out in a cold sweat. I don't know where this comes from. I've never fallen in this life, and I've found no connection in a previous life. Maybe just something I haven't remembered yet.

I would be interested in hearing what others have to share.

18. Aaab

Aaab New Member

I feel very much the same. I used to have a dream though where I was a passenger in a car that was winding up narrow mountain roads and I have always been terrified if I am a passenger in a car on similar roads now. It has often had me wondering if I may have been a passenger in a car that plunged of the side of a road like this in my previous life.

19. Truthseeker

Truthseeker Former Moderator

Long before I started exploring past lives, I used to get frightening visions in my mind once in a while when passing semi trucks on the highway. What I saw was getting hit by a truck in a gruesome wreck. This used to scare the heck out of me because I didn't know where they were coming from. I'd heard of people seeing things before they happened, and I was afraid that I was seeing my own pending death.
    After I started doing regressions, I learned that I was hit and killed by a truck in my last life. I was seeing my own death, just not from this life. What's interesting is that after remembering this the visions stopped completely. I haven't had one since.

20. Aaab

Aaab New Member

My dreams stopped after I got my drivers license, a car and was in control of the driving.

21. sarque

sarque New Member

I had, for a long time, what I thought was an irrational fear of flying. I felt out of control and terrified. However, once I realized that I had been a fighter pilot in my past life in WWII, and survived being shot down once and died in a plane crash later, it all started to make sense.

Right now I have an irrational fear of loud noises, especially fireworks. I think it might be connected to all the lives I've had as a soldier or a fighter of some kind, but I'm not sure. I can't connect it specifically to one life, but noises like that really upset me.

22. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

I used to think everyone had to deal with an irrational fear of sport balls. Being a boy during the 50's I had to just suck it up and deal with it, in order to play all the usual sports. Instead of enjoying myself, I did everything possible to avoid the various missiles which came my way. I did well as long as I wasn't expected to catch anything, so baseball was my worst sport. I could push back a 350 pound guard in football, but don't ever send me out to catch a pass. Basketball? Forget it! Just touching and running after the ball caused panic attacks; which fortunately didn't show. However, no one could figure out why I couldn't manage to get near the ball.

There was also a second feature to this, which I think everyone can relate to; and that is having anything coming toward the face. Ironically, I've been hit in the face by almost everything you can imagine, without much effect. So, one would think that it wouldn't bother me anymore. But, the quick and violent reaction to things coming at my face has never changed.

Here comes the weird part of the story...

My parents had a son, born to them in early 1941. Unfortunately, he was hit by a car while chasing a ball into the street; and it hit him on the left side of his face. Even though my parents felt that their son had returned to them, when I came along, I don't know if this has anything to do with reincarnation; but, I can't think of a better reason to avoid being hit in the face while chasing a ball.

-Nightrain

23. Karoliina

That's interesting, Nightrain, and definitely a possibility, imo. Do you have other reasons to believe you might have been your older brother once?

Karoliina

24. kemetic18

kemetic18 Senior Registered

I have this weird fear of my car rolling or tipping over on hills or around sharp curves. Yesterday, we got stuck sideways on an icy hill and its not the slipping that scared me but worrying about tipping and rolling down the hill.

I realized I am actually hunching down over the steering wheel in these situations as if that will stop the car from rolling if it were going to. :tongue:

So far I don't know of any past life where I was in a car that rolled.

25. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

Hi Karoliina!

I have no memory of having been my brother Michael, except that I've been told by my sister that I would often respond when the name was mentioned. However, she also told that I couldn't hear until the age of 4, which I doubt. I do remember often being awakened from a sound sleep by the vivid sound of a crash as a young child. There is, otherwise, no evidence of any kind.

-Nightrain

26. Looking Backwards

Looking Backwards Senior Registered

I have issues with eyes.

I don't like things being near or in my eyes. It took me years to be able to put on eye makeup without my eyes hurting, and I still refuse to use eyelash curlers. I've never used an eye drop in my life, and don't plan on doing so anytime soon. The only thing I don't mind is water I'm about to swim in being in my eyes. One time we had to read The Telltale Heart in English class, and I almost got sick. (It involves a man being stabbed in the eye.)

I do have pretty bad vision (always have), and I do wonder if some of it isn't that - not wanting to hurt my eyes any more. Plus, apparently when I was little I had a traumatizing eye doctor appointment, although that might have been the result of fear too. So it's hard to know if this is PL or CL related.

27. kemetic18

kemetic18 Senior Registered

Me too. :) But I don't know it is a past life issue or a current life issue. I had a lot of eye infections when I was a little kid and have to had medicated drops (which apparently I really didn't like :D ). Today I can't stand having to use eye drops and do only if absolutely necessary. I tried contact lens once - and never again.

On another note, I always have a weird fear about getting stuck under water. I love swimming but I remember as a kid going swimming in the summer and really hating to go under the water, worrying I would get caught on something and not be able to get loose. I could have a great time, so long as I could keep my head above water.

28. Lady of Shalott

Lady of Shalott New Member

Oh boy... I have lots of these.

I've been phobic of spiders all my life... more specifically, spider webs. Spiders isn't a weird phobia, but being afraid of being touched by the webs? Never met anyone else with that one.

Fear of heights (more specifically, falling from great heights) is a common one, but count me in. I am afraid of flying because I am afraid of falling from the sky and crashing. More the actual falling than the crashing.

Claustrophobia is also pretty common. For me it's not really enclosed spaces so much as being restrained from movement. Elevators and things are fine, but get me outside in a large crowd where my movement is restrained, and I freak out.

When I was a kid I had some strange ones that have no explanation that I can come up with. They were pretty morbid, too.

When I was young, I was always afraid my mom would get in an accident on the way home from work and that she wouldn't come home. I would sit by my window and read, looking up every time a car passed by. I was very, VERY afraid of her not coming home. I would be filled with relief every time she got home.

The other one was that I was afraid I would get shot standing in the window. I know that's really strange, and I was only worried about this as a kid. I didn't really like being exposed in the window after dark because I thought someone might shoot through the window at me. Weird, I know.

29. PrivateTucker

PrivateTucker EpsilonSigmaTheta

I have always had a phobia of rats. Even if we went to the pet store to get food for our guinea pigs or whatnot, I would do whatever I could to avoid going past the cages where they kept the rats. I also occasionally have nightmares about rats, and when I wake up I feel like there are rats at the bottom of my bed, and they could eat my toes.

I remember having a very vivid dream about rats when I was very young, and as I grew older I realized the place in my dream was Birkenau. In the dream I was on a wooden bunk with other people, and the rats were crawling all over, and even hopping from bunk to bunk.

*shudders*

Even thinking about it makes me shiver.

30. Kohr-Ah

Kohr-Ah New Member

I have same kind of fear. I have also had nightmares where something penetrates my eyes. About a week ago there was picture of a baby born without eyes on the web page of a Finnish magazine. I couldn't read those pages, because I feared that I will see that pic. For a few days I looked news and sport sections only from another magazine's pages.

I have also phobia of flies. Last night I had again nightmare about them.

I don't know if these phobias have anything to do with past lives or not. I have had them as long as I remember.