Italy -research and documentation

Discussion in 'Past Life Memories' started by Deborah, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

I recently went to Italy on vacation. I also went to look into validations for my memories of living in northern Italy 1900 - 1958. I have questioned the validity of my experiences on many levels, trying to see them objectively and subjectively. I am always questioning the possibilities and yet I am careful not to fall into the trap of acceptance without critical examination. It isn't an easy task and requires not only personal reflection but a lot of research.

Documentation of the common folk in history tends to be generalized, not always specific and even non-existent. This can be a disappointment when trying to locate a past life persona. Not everyone was famous or important, most of us fall into the category of the masses.

In our society we want proof, hard evidence and the facts, yet we are lacking pertinent information regarding our history because it is a selective history recorded by those in charge, and those that have the power and means to do so.

Text books cover only what the publisher deems important for educational purposes. The encyclopedia only covers the facts, data and important information pertaining to a culture, time period or event. For example, if you read a Russian history book they record a different history than an American text regarding the Cold War, or any war for that matter.

The most compelling information I found came from personal letters and diaries. The daily life of individuals who revealed their struggles, their joys and their pain. Within these documents I learned more about the people, the living situations, and the events of the time than I ever learned in our education system or from a history book. Diaries and letters were written for personal reasons; within them is a record of the persons thoughts, feelings, and emotions regarding the circumstances the time. The little things.

My research will not pin point me as a particular person in history. I wish it would and although someday I hope to be able to verify at least one pl, I have had to rely on the historical implications via diaries and letters and simple verifiable facts that surfaced within my experiences.

Italian cities sometimes do not name their streets - especially in smaller towns. Other times the name of a street can change within two blocks and again three blocks further down. Cities are often named similar names with only a letter or two difference. This made it especially hard.

Since I was with a friend and on vacation and our travel time to get there extended by days - my research time was limited. What I can share here are a few images of my trip that illustrate SMALL validations. Is it proof? Absolutely not. But it moves the experience of a past life beyond my imagination into verifiable facts; facts that I had no other way of knowing about - except to go to Italy and research them.

So in the subsequent posts I will share small excerpts from my journals - some written in 1992 - 1994 - with the images I took in Italy that demonstrate that yes, wine barrels at the time were VERY large and yes, there are windows slots that are low to the ground on barns.

It is important to follow up after (even years after) - it can be a very healing experience.

2. Deborah

I saw my Uncle's wife, she had her hair done up, curls all around her face in a style that looked like the mid 1940‘s. She had her two little girls with her, the oldest was about five. One of them is leaning over and looking in the small window near the foundation of the barn where I hid the German soldier in WWI.

I had never seen barn windows so low in America and doubted the experience many times. Again - is this proof? No, but it is a small validation for me personally.
    I remembered in 1992 during a meditation that my father owned a vineyard and had many large wine barrels. Some almost 6 feet tall. This image of a wine barrel similar to the ones I remember my father owning.

[​IMG]

On the trip we drove by one that was 6' - just like in my memory, but the roads were narrow and we could not stop due
    to traffic doing 60 MPH. My friend assured me we would find others when we went to the wine country. We never did, and after 3 hours of trying to relocate the one on the road side a few days later; we could not find it. We gave up and I settled for this picture. All the wineries that were open that day had
    'upgraded' :( and no longer had any huge barrels on display.

What I remember is hiding Jewish people inside of them - when the Nazi's came. At the time in 1992 - I thought it was my imagination -wine barrels were not that big. I told myself that - many times. :rolleyes: I guess they were.

3. Deborah

Last image for fun. :) Again - not proof. The houses in the vineyards looked like the home I remembered living in. This is a picture of a house that reminded me of mine.

My home was two story, and our bedrooms was upstairs. Every house I saw in Italy was two story. The house was narrow like this one, made of brick but stuccoed on the surface. My home was a little lighter tan color, and shaped more like this house for the roof top.

From the year 1992 - until recently, I have remembered my house, inside and out. Here is a small excerpt from a journal entry recorded in 1994.

4. curious_girl

curious_girl Curious Member

Hello Deborah :)

I like your appraoch to past life research. To find the narrow path between getting overwhelmed by memories and looking for facts and proof only.

I learned a lot about history while doing research, but I also haven't found much validation. I only have my feelings and a few impressions who seem to fit, but I can't tell how real it is.

I think that your approach is the best approach: keeping a journal, go to the places where you might have lived, and to read a lot about a a certain country or era.

And how did Italy feel? Was it familiar, did you feel at home? I hope you enjoyed your vacation :)

Curious Girl.

5. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

Hiya Deborah,

Thank you so much for sharing your photos and experiences with us.

What lovely memories you have of Italy -- and the personal validations you received must have been quite amazing to you.

I agree -- that's so very important when looking into your past lives. Definitely a hard thing to do -- but well worth it when you receive an actual validation -- something that supports your memories that you could not have known...even if you think it's only a small thing...it's still something. ;)

I also hope you enjoyed your trip and felt a sense of "going home"...

Ailish :D

6. Deborah

Thank you Curious Girl,

I have always appreciated your approach as well and your website is very well done BTW. KUDOS. :thumbsup:

The past few years historical research has became an important component of the reincarnation equation. However, it can be challenging and frustrating. I can say though that my findings in Italy carried with them an element of surprise and wonder for me personally. They were, however small, validations that what I was experiencing was not fantasy, or a vivid imagination. But something very real. The vineyards did feel like home. :)

In fact Aili, the only area that felt like home - was the hills and the vineyards. As beautiful and spectacular as Italy is, with all of its history and culture and artifacts (not to mention art) - I was happiest and excited in the hills, in the country. Yes, it felt like home and I had several flash backs that helped me to see further into the past. However brief.

7. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

Thanks for sharing, Deborah! :thumbsup:

It's always great to read about memories and validations. And even if your validations weren't hard, solid proof so to speak, they were validations for you personally - and at the end of the day that is what matters the most imo. You can't explain feelings to others in writing. :)

Karoliina

8. vicky

vicky Senior Member

Hi Deborah,
    How about the language? DId that seem familiar to you?
    Vicky

9. tiltjlp

tiltjlp A Recycled Soul

I'm really glad for you Deborah, not only that you enjoyed your trip, but that you seem to have found more validation. None of my PL memories have produced enough information to be sure. I've had to settle for "gut instinct" and common sense to decide what to believe and what to reject. I always hope I haven't rejected something meaningful.

John

10. SPRING

SPRING Senior Registered

Hi Deborah,

Your experiences and research were very interesting to follow and I am happy you got the chance to go back to a place of a past life.

Not in a relation to a past life; my husband’s family originated from northern Italy, I think from around Bologna/ Tuscany. My husband’s great grandpa is a famous Opera Composer from around the turn of the 20th century named Pietro Mascagni (very important musician in Italy and his Cds can be found in music store in America today). Anyway, we always wanted to go back to northern Italy, to the places my husband’s family are originated from.
    We also want to find relatives that didn’t immigrate to the USA, it would be almost impossible but because of his famous great grandpa it can be achieved, I can‘t even imagine how almost impossible it will be for you to find anything about your past self.

We are planning on a vacation in Europe hopefully within the next couple of years, Italy would be a destination as well, if I ever run into some of the descriptions you gave here I will let you know.

Since your PL family were musical I am sure they listen to Mascagni sometimes, maybe listening to Italian originated music from that era will refresh more memories.

11. Deborah

Thank You tiltjlp and Karoliina. I was glad I went too.

Vicky - the language was on the tip of my tongue and several times I said a simple word out loud in Italian, but had to look up what I just said. I of course couldn't understand myself in the NOW. I will share the experience later today - I have some things I have to take care of around here first. ;)

Spring, if you get the chance to go - Italy is beautiful. I would love to retire there someday. Or have a summer home there. It is a country full of culture, history and yes, it felt like home.

12. Deborah

The second week in Italy,we traveled to Venice. There are no roads, only water ways to get around the city. We loaded onto the water taxi and about 1/3 of the way to San Marco - I had a spontaneous experience that was truly amazing for me.

I was looking at the buildings on the waterfront -- when I slipped into the past: I was a 7 year old little girl. I was with my father. I was so excited and kept saying "Pa Pa - Pa Pa sguardo" - and tugging at his coat. I was the oldest and he had taken me on a business trip with him to Venice. I was amazed that the houses seemed to be floating on water.

I had never been to a big city before - let alone anything like the wonders of Venice. I knew we had taken a train from our small town to Venice. The experience only lasted a minute but it was an amazing feeling; being aware of the little girl I was then and returning to now. Her feelings, her emotions, her awareness -- was also my own.

13. vicky

vicky Senior Member

Great photographs. Awesome flavor to that city.
    Vicky

14. Ailish

That is amazing!

What a lovely experience -- the memory of father/daughter time in a big, exciting city. Valeria's excitement must have been positively intoxicating. :D

How wonderful for you to also have the memory complete with Italian words!

Aili :)

15. jackh

jackh Senior Registered

Nice photos Deborah. It is really nice when we can be relaxed and open enough to let those spontanious memories through.

Jack

16. tiltjlp

tiltjlp A Recycled Soul

An amazing validation in a wonderful city. I'm sure it made for an unforgettable vacation. All that was missing was the “Wish you were here” postcard.

John

17. Deborah

Thank you, it was a trip I have been planning for years. :D . The photos I shared are the pictures I took. My friend is a professional photographer (artist). I cannot wait to see his 500 images tonight. :) He put together a slide show/DVD with music and everything. Kinda cool. He teaches digital photography and flash animation.

John,I like your slogan :) "Wish you were here." Although I think he would put them in an exhibition before he would put them on a post card. But mine might do. ;)

Now I want to buy a vacation house there -- maybe in five years. Since I have five months off every year - why not? : angel

18. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

Welcome to Europe, Deborah! :D

The idea of a holiday home in Italy is wonderful! It's very trendy here to rent a house on the countryside of Tuscany for example and live there for a couple of weeks in the summer - but having your own place would of course be a lot better! :thumbsup:

I've been trying to talk to my boyfriend about a holiday home in Britain - even though I have no idea how we could afford it. :laugh:

Karoliina

19. Deborah

This might seem silly to some - but it is something I feel very strongly about. So I am about to quote myself. : angel

Although this thread is about my experience; I am also interested in others thoughts regarding just how important the research is to them. Is it hard for you to not fall into the trap of acceptance? How many different ways do you do your research? If any?

When you read books about peoples experiences - does the experience out weight the research? Or is the research the grounding element?

20. jackh

jackh Senior Registered

Interesting that you bring this up. I was thinking of starting a thread on this topic as I find it so puzzeling as to why so many people here feel they have to prove who they were by finding the evidence of their pervious exsistance!!!:confused:

To me trying to prove something like that is like trying to prove that I am a man dispite the fact that the body I as soul wear has all the specified parts:rolleyes: LOL

The real question I think is what is it from lifetime x that causes me to act in a certain way now. Then - Do I want to change that behavior? If the answer is yes, what is it I need to come to terms with from that life to make the change and if I can't change it can I now live with it, move past it and get on with life?

If more info is needed, is it in lifetime x or some other lifeo So the cycle repeats until I am satisfied with the resolution.

Jack

21. jackh

jackh Senior Registered

Man o man was I jumping up and down when I wrote the post above. So I apoligize if I pushed someones buttons. Like Deborah, I'm curious as to why those of you who do the research find it nessicary?

Jack

22. Deborah

HI Jack,

I was thinking about this today. I think there is a difference between looking for proof, and looking for validations. I think it is easy for people to fall into the trap of acceptance - without critical examination. Which is a bummer. This can lead to confusion as well as a lack of interest in the concept later on in life.

To me - proof is the complete identification of the past life persona. Such as Angela's experience, the story of Capt. Chet Snow or Jeff Keene's. They lend an extreme amount of credence to the concept - the experience, and the reality of past lives.

Validation I think can be just as important for the individual. It helps a person move past the constant questioning of - is it fantasy? Small physical validations that are linked with deeply help thoughts, feelings and emotions speak volumes. Such as the wine barrels in this thread for me.

To me, some form of research is necessary in order to keep oneself grounded. Otherwise, what are we to make of the experiences?

The premise you present - about the relationships and patterns between life times - is of course the most important to me personally. It is what my book will focus on. : angel

23. Anibelle

Anibelle Probationary

I think, were I ever to have an experience, I would want to research it in order learn more about that life. But only if it were good. Or if something traumatic happened that effected my now life.

24. Deborah

Side note, I have found that for me, it is the SMALL validations that mean so much. Like the large wine barrels, the low barn windows, the fact that red grapes are grown in the higher elevations, and the homes with slanted roofs.

Anibelle, for me, embracing the good the bad and the ugly has enabled me to embrace others with compassion, to expand my understanding of self and others. ;)

25. Deborah

Some of you might get a kick out of this HUGE Wine Barrel. This is what I remember - as I stated in post # 3 the one I am standing next to doesn't even come close. I was researching on the internet last night and came across several images that revealed that some Italian wine barrels are larger than - well, larger than I would have ever been able imagine! ;) But my experiences told me they were and after several years of doubting my memories - I see - they were that BIG!

26. vanhalen50one50

vanhalen50one50 Senior Registered

THAT IS SO BIG!!! WOW I would never think that they made them that big, I knew that there were some big ones but I couldn't imagine a wine barrel that big! :D

27. Ailish

Whoa! That is massive!!! :eek: Thank you for sharing the photo – just amazing! And an awesome validation too! :D

28. Deborah

You're welcome. ;)

29. Deborah

I thought I would share an experience I had the other day while on the chiropractors water massage table. It happened quickly -- but didn't last long.

I was in Italy, I was probably in my mid twenties and wearing a long skirt. It was in the 1920's. I was on a train and I had opened the back door of the cab (car) I was on. I was peering out the door and looking down at the railroad tracks as the train sped along. I could hear the locomotive, the metal wheels on the rails and was fascinated by the sound, the speed and how the train worked.

Someone came up behind me and reached for the door over my shoulder and told me to get back inside the cab. I wasn't suppose to be hanging out the back. There was another car (cab) attached to the one I was in, and I could clearly see it. Even though it was 1920 - the train felt like an older model.

The chiropractor jarred me out of the altered state....bummer. But -- it is an experience that I can still feel, hear, and am in touch with. I can only wonder why? Perhaps I was traveling somewhere that was significant. Perhaps I will know why in the years to come. Gotta love the little things. ;)

30. Deborah

This is an older thread - but one thought newer members might like.

helz_belz and inhaltslos like this.