Karma is wound around the soul

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Deborah, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

I came across an interesting Vedic notation I thought was worth sharing.

I have often thought of past life experiences and the emotional, traumatic and deeply held feelings of them to be akin to peeling back the layers of an onion. I have had several experiences in meditation and in the dream state as a small child, where my life seems to flash before my eyes...as if everything is being presented in a split second. According to Swami's, people who report dying of a sudden and unexpected death - will experience this life time flash.

Deepak Chopra states:

He goes on to suggest an exercise that I find fascinating. He says he does it every night before falling asleep. He reviews the events of the day in backward order, for the same reason karma unspools in this way. He says he finds peace and understanding for the events of the day.

So now I am wondering - IF we take the time - to meditate/reflect in backward order the events of our lives, day by day; could this kind of exercise be a stepping stone to a peaceful passage to the next life and a way of healing and embracing our own misgivings?

A fascinating notation non-the-less. Karma he says - also never ends.

2. MoonDansyr

MoonDansyr Senior Registered

Wow! I spent most of the day sewing and still have more to do. I know I will be viewing those spools of thread quite differently now.

I'm not sure I understand the unspooling of karma, though.

3. Deborah

I think he means that we experience past life reviews in reverse - backwards. :cool

4. MoonDansyr

MoonDansyr Senior Registered

Well, I understand the "review in reverse" aspect. Are karma and life review being used interchangeably? That's what I don't understand.

5. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

Hi Deborah,

I like your analogy of peeling back layers of an onion. ;)

I have experienced that “flash” during a couple of very close calls, so I understand exactly what the Swamis are speaking of.

I’ve never thought of reviewing backwards before. It’s an interesting concept -- when you think of applying it to past lives.

So, essentially what you are saying is that if we start at our death, we may already hold the keys to the most profound moments of each life – that carry the most significant karma? That each death – may hold this “flash” – this knowledge of causation?

I would think – that if one could start there, and work backwards, it may be easier to pinpoint, with more clarity, exact patterns within each lifetime – of how our choices created circumstances for us -- and how we got so far away from our original being.

Well, that makes sense – since every action has a reaction – the ripple effect would be constantly in motion -- and never-ending.

I liked the following explanation on karma by Deepak Chopra:

By going in reverse – you start with the karma to get back to the experience. Perhaps this really is the way to understand how our desires have created our experiences.

Thank you for sharing.

Aili :)

6. Deborah

You explained it very well Aili Thank you! :) :thumbsup: :D

7. jackh

jackh Senior Registered

I thought during the life review that we saw all of the karmic interplay we participated in major and minor. Not sure where I picked that up from though.

I have heard of that exercise though Deborah and it is suppose to be a really good one. Part of it's purpose was to give you a chance to go back and change your attitudes, opinions, and to run through a better senorio if you weren't happy with the first reaction you had durring the heat of the moment. I'm not sure that it would do away with whatever karma you may have incured in the first place but it would give you a chance to reprogram your gut reactions so you don't repeat yourself next time it comes up. How it was explaned to me:)

Jack

8. tanguerra

tanguerra Moderator Emeritus

I had a wee ponder on this as I laid my head on the pillow last night and thought I would try it out. It was most interesting. I went back through the thoughts and experiences of the day and noted how they had all led me to where I was 'at' now in my self. Then, my brain being a funny little beastie, it ran away and went back through the major thoughts and experiences of the past 10 years and I saw how all of those had led me to where I am at now as well. Very interesting. I recommend it.

9. Deborah

Thank you for sharing Tanguerra! :D I will give it a go soon...when things slow down a bit. It is exciting to hear this worked for someone. I look forward to others thoughts and any new experiences you might have. :)

10. Eevee

Eevee Administrator Emeritus Staff Member Super Moderator

One of our members, Goldenage, talked about this exercise long ago. You can read it in this post.

He said :

The rest of the exercise is described in the post.

Eevee

11. Chansa

Chansa Senior Registered

Analogy

Hello everyone.

I have not tried this exercise but I had a thought that popped into my mind while chewing on this thread. :eek: Truthfully, I don't feel it can add substantially to the conceptual framework surrounding these ideas and it's fairly simplistic...but I thought I'd share anyway.

Snake. The image of a coiled snake rousing to stretch out and slowly shed its skin strongly comes to mind, turning its skin inside out or backwards from head to tail - ideally in one piece. The image to me is so blatantly related to the idea of reincarnation and on different levels.

Perhaps the experience of following one's life from death the birth is similar to shedding one's skin in one piece from head - most immediate - to tail - oldest, earliest. The analogy extends further - if a snake is unable to fully shed its skin properly (analogous to not giving "emotionally difficult areas" the required attention), in one piece, the aging skin can actually constrict bloodflow and prove blinding and/or fatal, hindering the snake from moving forward, healthily into its new skin, so to speak.

It may be somewhat nonsensical but, I tend to embrace a holographic reality in which the individual components mirror, in essence, the whole and vice versa. When I think of it that way, this mini-mental tangent of mine doesn't seem so nonsensical after all....so I tell myself. : angel :eek:

12. Shadow Warrior

Shadow Warrior New Member

I find a lot of things that Deepak Chopra teaches about to be very interesting indeed!

I think it was an article of his I was reading not so long ago where he said something about the soul after an incarnation on earth will go into a sleep state in the astral plane\bardo\heaven whatever you wish to call it and will reflect on everything from that incarnation while in the sleep state because the soul needs some R&R before moving onto other tasks there it was something along these lines anyway.

Interesting about Karma though, Is it that we create new Karma when we pre-plan our Lives?

13. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

Hi Shadow Warrior,

I personally don't believe that we pre-plan our lives. : angel I believe it has more to do with our consciousness creating the situations we're born into. ;)

I think you might find this thread interesting: Karma is not Punishment.

Ailish

14. Deborah

This seems simple yet - so complex! Anyone care to comment?

Very interesting way to put it Aili. ;)

15. soulfreindly

soulfreindly Senior Registered

I cannot quite get the concept of going in reverse.. Maybe just were I am now.. ?? I see our experiences are created by more than just me=== so that means that that I need to look all around.. to make sure I include and am aware of those others that are somehow hooked into my landscapes...

I often notice that when I make a spritual change it is similarr to your description Deborah of having layers peeled back. In order to become aware of one layer , the layer above needs to have been removed. I find that layer that has been removed is somehow transmuted into reflections of understanding ..ie the peeled layer does not go down the garbage shute, never to be used again ,, it remains and is recycled as a increased form of wisdom.

I sort of equate it to standing under a lamp in a street where there is some of the street in total darkness and then there is the one spot light and the one shadow. To begin with I am very aware of the shadow. BUt picture in your mind the light getting larger and larger so that eventually the shadow length and the amount of darkness changes . It is not like I am always aware of the light and that it is getting bigger... it does not keep me from looking at the dark== it is a very gradual change.

As I unpeel the layers the light gets bigger and more people can see all of the street rather than just me. IT is like I am losing myself in a way. The more developed I am the less I am aware of the little things and the shadows== like losing those layers in the onion

. I find through regression work even though I am looking at the shadows , somehow they are brought into the light?? There have been times in spiritual work when I realy feel that something is just gone from me , never to return , and I am a different person .. It has been very nice when that happens.

and those are my spiritual musings for today.. :)

soulfreindly

16. Deborah

An interesting older thread for new members. coffee

17. Pyewacket

Pyewacket New Member

I've been struggling with the concept of karma for many years and I appreciate how it's discussed here on PLF.

Religion was a strong influence in my early years- I tried to embrace it but something never felt right about it. It was a form of control in my dysfunctional family. I went to religious schools until graduation and it didn't help make me become a religious person. I think it made things worse. I felt like there was something wrong with me.

I left the church in my 20s. I explored other religions and the new age movement. There I was first introduced to the concept of karma. The earlier religious influence made me think of karma as a form of punishment or reward. I feared it. A new age "teacher" furthered my misconceptions because he used it as a fear tactic to control his students.

Further exploration lead me to Dr.s Chopra and Dyer. The movie, "What the Bleep Do We Know?" was a big help. I took an interest in Buddhism and was disappointed to find them arguing scriptures on the forums. I could never really have a real conversation on the subject of karma with them without causing a big ruckus.

I also was lead to believe that karma was random and would come into fruition when the time was right. There may be some truth to that, but I was confused as to how well lessons could be learned that way. I understand that we need to expand our consciousness to evolve and karma is a teaching tool- I'm just not sure how much I understand the workings of karma.

I like the ideas you've all shared in this thread. I think I've experienced this over the years. Someone or something was certainly trying to get a message across to me, so often lost in a fog, as I am.

I recently saw the movie, "The Cloud Atlas" and it really resonated with me. It's the best illustration I've seen of reincarnation. IMHO I don't want to spoil it for anyone who has not seen the film. I did like the suggestion that we form our next life while living our present life and each life is like a new chapter in our long line of successive lives. Maybe I've been missing this point all along and it finally "clicked". LOL

18. BriarRose

BriarRose Senior Registered

The path you've followed in your spiritual evolution is similar to many people on the forum, Pyewacket. We questioned religious dogma as children and young adults. We still question, because that is the road to understanding. We don't have all the answers, but you will hear vigorous debate about the questions! In regard to the original post, reviewing the previous day, as Deepak Chopra suggests, is only what people do when they pray. I still do that, as a way of assessing my progress, and to stay in touch with the Divine. I think of it as a form of meditation, just more rigorous, and not as relaxing.

19. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

I think that's a good explanation. You're right about people using the idea of Karma to control people. It's the same as people telling their kids they are going to go to Hell if they don't do as they are told, etc.

20. dking777

dking777 Senior Registered

What is Karma?

When I was a child and brought up the notion of my past life experience or when I was a young adult (and blind to my past life experiences) and brought up the subject of reincarnation - the word "karma" would come up. People would assume I had 'understanding' or 'mystical knowledge' about a word they associated with 'reincarnation.' They thought there had to be a 'reason' we as humans would have to reincarnate. The truth is - it (karma) is an English word with a western meaning based upon an ancient concept - that (I feel) has lost it's original meaning in the translation process.

Each time I run across the subject on the board - I try and research it in the Internet to see if I can find someone who can grasp the original concept I feel is missing from the modern assumption of its intent and meaning. After years of searching - I think I have found a parable expression that sums up the 'karma' thing.

The idea (or theory) that we come to this world to 'undo' or 'change' the past has never sat well in my mind of understanding. What we can change in any given moment (present) is how we perceive the world around around us. In harmony with good - or in 'disharmony.

Just my 2 cents.

Sincerely,

DKing

21. Pyewacket

Pyewacket New Member

@dking777- Thanks for sharing this!

22. BriarRose

That is a good parable, DKing. It illustrates that karma is the energy that we generate coming back to us, if I understand it correctly.

23. tanguerra

tanguerra Moderator Emeritus

I interpret it as meaning the world is as we perceive it to be. If you are a kind and generous person, you will usually see others as being kind and generous (with a few exceptions perhaps). If you are mean and selfish, you will see the rest of the world as mean and selfish (with a few exceptions perhaps).

I believe 'karma' is a word for how you conduct yourself - indeed 'action'. Behaving well will tend to lead to good things happening to you. This is not 'magic'. It's cause and effect.

24. Widmo

Widmo New Member

Interesting way to look at it. This has a ring of truth- as well as "karma wound around the soul" I don't literally believe that that karma is would around our souls but it does "surround" our perceptions and maybe even in an offhand way directs our actions, which may lead to either positive or negative consequences. That too is also up for debate and depends on the person.

25. BriarRose

A nice thought, but I haven't found it to be true in practical application. There are a lot of kind people, doing good deeds, with good intentions, who suffer. As they say, "No good deed goes unpunished". I suppose the karmic roots of their suffering could lie tangled in the roots of the past. By the way, I am not referring to my own "good" deeds - I am not very saintly. : angel