Living with the knowledge of reincarnation

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Tinkerman, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Ravenheart

Ravenheart New Member

Has anyone here seen the film "What the Bleep Do We Know?"

It addresses the topics of quantum physics and biology with respect to Soul (the part of us that is energy that cannot be destroyed). It seems to assert that nothing happens until Soul reacts with "reality". Even when focusing on purely chemical reactions on a biological scale, the film recognizes that there is another part to the body: someone inside who observes, in a detached manner, what is happening. I see the "observer" as being Soul. For me, it is Soul who remembers past lives and the intervals between lives. To me this movie is this first blending of science with that which cannot be explained.

I felt happy to see this film be so widely accepted across the globe. It gave me a sense of community with the people who DO BELIEVE. I get that same sense from this forum.

It doesn't bother me if other people don't accept or understand reincarnation. That's their issue as related to his/her current level of spiritual development. It does not bother me because I know that all Souls move forward in development with each life....he/she will eventually get to the place where I am now.

2. Charles Stuart

Charles Stuart Probationary

Hi Beth,

Yes, I do believe that, just as with Dr. Semmelweis, the issue are particles too small and "subtle" to be detected by currently known means (though I do believe that science is getting closer...) :thumbsup:

Hi Ravenheart,

Yes, I watched the film and absolutely loved it!!! Although the answers are still evading us, it does seem we are indeed getting closer to understanding how a "spiritual" realm might exist... :)

Hi Tman,

Yeah, me too...

3. the_fool

the_fool New Member

I think the question is also cultural, the west for the most part don't believe in reincarnation, this stems from the spread of certain aggressive monotheistic religions and the of course complete reliance and worship of Science and Technology which is the trade off for ignorance in the more mystic knowledge.

For strange reason India, Burma, Thailand, and other asian countries don't seem to have that problem. Yet are considered poorer and less advanced than the west. (Belief in reicarnation/rebirth is automatic in eastern religions.)

4. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Emeritus Staff Member Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, the fool...: angel

Thanks for your input, and I hope you enjoy your time here. We're looking forward to hearing more from you. Enjoy the discussions.

Chris... :)

5. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

Hello and welcome The_Fool! :)

You make a valid point.

Enjoy the discussions and let us know it you have questions.

Karoliina

6. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Emeritus Staff Member Super Moderator

Do any of the newer members have anything to add to this interesting old thread? :)

7. tanguerra

tanguerra Moderator Emeritus

A nice little talk on the Buddhist perspective on the process of rebirth, the lessons we take with us and so on: ((( no longer available )))

8. torrd25

torrd25 New Member

Buddhist Talks on Reincarnation

Hi tanguerra,

Which part of Australia are you at? If you enjoy his talks, perhap you can visit his monastry. Even though Ajahn Brahm is a Buddhist monk, at times he is also being invited to give talks in Church. His talks are popular with Buddhist and non-Buddhist.

For those of you who prefer video than audio, here is a link to youtube: ( see the peace in his face....smiling all the time..)

http://www.youtube.com/user/BuddhistSocietyWA

There are several talks on Reincarnation/Rebirth:

a) Process of Rebirth

b) Reincarnation- Here We Go Again!!!

c) Dependent Origination

This sect of ( Theravada ) Buddhism teaches that rebirth is natural. The Buddha himself can recall many of his past lives.

Over 2000 years ago, Buddha taught that we need to respect others because they could have been our parents,relatives and friends before in previous lives.

After reading many of the member's experience in this forum, now I find it easier to accept the above teachings.

I do not have to just believe in Buddha... :)

Torrd

9. tanguerra

I live on the other side of the country, so will have to content myself with the internet Torrd.

Yes, I have done quite a bit of reading on Buddhism over the years and I find their ideas all very congruent with my own experiences.

10. fiziwig

fiziwig moderator emeritus

I also recommend Ajahn Brahm's talks on rebirth. He's a hoot!

In addition, Vipassana Meditation taught by Theravada Buddhism has numerous beneficial effects on one's life, but one of the effects that would be interesting to this group is that Vipassana meditation enhances one's past life recall ability. Ajahn Brahm mentions this briefly in some of his video talks, as does Joseph Goldstein in his 46 hour lecture series on Vipassana meditation at Dharma Seed based on the "Satipatthana Sutta", the earliest and most authoritative Buddhist scripture on meditation practices.

11. Iseke

Iseke New Member

I've come very slowly to this realization, and the more I do, the more sense it makes. Luckily, I've had very supportive people to talk to throughout this process, which has helped immensely.

I don't have any need to prove reincarnation to nonbelievers, exactly; as others here have said, I'm more interested in showing how it plays out in my own life. That, and everyone has their own way of understanding Truth, and I don't feel the need to debate what is personally true for me. It really is quite a personal process. My husband wasn't very convinced by reincarnation at all, but seeing how my memories and experiences have affected me do make an impression. At the very least, he is willing to consider it as a possibility.

As for living with the knowledge...sometimes I struggle to trust myself and these memories/experiences. Other times I find myself wanting to blurt "Oh! I was a such-and-such once!" in everyday conversation. As long as I have a few people to talk about these things with, I won't burst apart. I do feel kind of isolated by not talking about it, though.

I am looking forward to when that changes. :)

12. torrd25

torrd25 New Member

Monastry in California

Hi Zeolocation,

You mentioned sometimes it is difficult to talk to others about past lives. It is very comforting to be in midst of people who also accept rebirth. Since you are in California perhap you might be close to a monastry called:

Abhayagiri Buddhist Monastery

16201 Tomki Road

Redwood Valley, CA 95470

TEL: 707-485-1630

very likely in this community, talking about past lives is like saying " I had coke and burger this morning." .. :) hahaha

Regards,

torrd

13. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

Hello Zeo and welcome! I loved your post, it hit the spot! I particularly agree with this:

Thanks for posting Zeo, I look forward to hearing more from you.

Tman

14. Truthseeker

Truthseeker Former Moderator

I know what you mean. I sometimes have moments where I want to say something like "Yeah, I remember back when I was 'X' I...." Then I have to stop myself. One of these days it's probably going to slip out and they're going to look at me like I grew a second head. :rolleyes:

15. Susie

Susie Dreamer-former moderator

Thank you to whomever brought this thread to the top. What a great subject matter. For me, reincarnation helps me to see the soul that I am. There is not explanation needed, no belief necessary. Reincarnation just is.

16. Aelfgyva

Aelfgyva Senior Member

Living with the Knowledge

I for one find it sometimes very difficult "knowing". Especially when memories are so sweet and full of longing, that they tend to pull me out of my life now. I steadly have to remind myself that living in the here and now is what's important. Taking what I've learned and moving on...but sometimes...going back is soooo sweet!

17. tanguerra

I do that sometimes! I'll say something like 'Oh, I remember that!' People might look at me a bit funny (those who don't know about my 'special ability') and I have to correct myself, 'Oh, I meant I remember seeing a film about that'...

Sometimes I might be talking about something, politics, whatever, and I'll say: "Yes, but just remember what it was like in the middle ages before they had modern dentistry. ... Remember how things were before there was a police force ..." or whatever.

People will mostly assume I have read about it somewhere and wonder that I know about such obscure little historical things. I will just say, "Oh, I have a good memory for those kind of little details".

18. Tinkerman

I thought I would bring this older thread up to the top for newer members to read and answer. Enjoy.

Tman

19. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

I sat in the waiting room of a Veterans Hospital the other day, where people were waiting to speak to claims representatives; and I listened to them as they told their stories of how the system had turned against them. I can't describe the empathy I felt as they described how they did everything expected of them, serving their country and having faith in doctors and administrators who mindlessly abused them or gave them short shrift, and how their lives have been turned upside down.

When I listen to such stories, I often wonder how the knowledge of reincarnation and the reality of an afterlife could help them cope with the insurmountable problems of this life. Of course, it is not for me to invade their privacy by evangelizing the likelihood that we are not as alone and abandoned as we so often feel. And, I wish that there could be something that I could do or say beyond just a heartfelt prayer on their behalf.

Living with the knowledge of reincarnation is sometimes like sitting with an ice cream cone in the middle of a starving village, knowing that no one there wants any of it, or knows what it is. So, I hide it under my own ragged clothing, until I return to this Forum. By that time I often forget, myself, that it is there.

20. Shiftkitty

Shiftkitty Registered User

I live with it the same way I live with my past in my current life. It's a stack of experiences that I can learn from. I don't try to tell others about reincarnation unless they ask.

How do I avoid the pitfalls? Step one: does the person who's giving me the spiel have a book or something to sell? Step two: is the purpose of this spiel to tell me about the book or whatever? Step three: does it feel like a "warm fuzzy feel good" spiel?

Step three reflects the number of "our fates are predetermined" and other means of taking responsibility off of our hands and dismissing it to entities or forces beyond our ken that I have encountered. Sounds like a cheap dodge to me.

Oh, and Step four: how many celebrities are suddenly on board with it? That should be a BIG red flag...

21. RemainingSpirit

RemainingSpirit Remaining Spirit

Well, it made me who I am today, and that's it. That's what all our experiences do for us - they shape us.

22. hydrolad

hydrolad Senior Moderator Super Moderator

Remaining Spirit, I agree with you, all the way around.

To me, my life's experiences are like a fire that tempers a sword (me) in the fire, and in doing so, I am made much stronger in the progress.

I guess, kind of like, "What does not kill me, makes me stronger" kind of thinking, by Friedrich Nietzsche.

23. J. Jay Kamp

J. Jay Kamp New Member

As a person who has remembered past lives for a number of years now, I have been preached to, prayed for, told I'm going to hell (by my own grandmother, no less), and suffered all manner of religious interventions...so the last thing I would want to do is try to persuade someone else to take up my belief in reincarnation. And yet I find myself trying sometimes, particularly with the very close-minded (my own cousin comes to mind, who gets particularly annoyed when I tell him that God and reincarnation are not mutually exclusive). It's always a losing battle. These folks are not meant to "get it" this time around. It's not in their "plan" for this particular lifetime. And of course if I mention it to anybody else, open minded or not, I know immediately I have been classified in their eyes as "weirdo." But I guess the older I get, the more I don't mind being thought of that way. It just doesn't matter to me (much) what others think. I know it's real.

However, I did spend, oh, let's say twenty-four years proving my past lives to myself. In the beginning, this was to reassure myself that I wasn't crazy. Then it became about finding the places I remembered and loved, and finding pictures of the man I adored (my husband, Thomas Carter). And after the deaths of my father and brother, the issue became proving that the soul is immortal, and finding out what happens after we die. Watching my father pass away right in front of me (of a sudden heart attack) was quite traumatic, and I had to know he was in a better place, so the search for proof became quite intense after that, and worse still after my brother died suddenly of an aneurysm. In the last few months (while frantically finishing a book about my past-life experiences before my savings ran out and I was forced to find work at McDonald's) I have proven and confirmed the last resistant bits of what I remember about my life in 18th-century England, so I feel a kind of release now. I've confirmed nearly everything, so the need for validation has eased up a fair bit. But the need to figure out the bigger picture is growing more incessant: What is the purpose of living? What does it mean that my brother's life was cut short? Is Karma real? Do we have free will? Or is everything fate?

I've been reading a lot of scientific articles about quantum physics, about experiments that prove precognition is real and that free will is an illusion, and about the idea that we make our reality with our consciousness -- these are the things I find impossible not to mention in conversation with complete strangers these days. (Me: "Hey, did you know that all humans physically react to negative stimuli five seconds before that negative event is randomly selected by a computer?") And I know people think I'm looney. And I don't care, because I know I'm right: reincarnation, ghosts, ESP, ghost boxes, UFOs, these things all exist. Science and time will prove it eventually. But then, time doesn't exist, either!

BTW, I'm in awe of the intelligence on this forum. There are some super smart people here (and nice, too!), and I can't wait to read everyone's views and observations, not to mention their experiences with remembering.

24. Tinkerman

Old thoughts...