• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Memory Triggers

Vanderspoor, most people in the U.S. are ignorant of the war and time period of which you write. Is it common knowledge in Indonesia? Most importantly, did you survive? The way you wrote about your family was very poignant. Do you know them now? When you are ready, please start a new "thread" all your own, so your amazing memories don't get "buried", and others will see them.

I just searched and found this Forum about it. Interesting. This is when France was handed Viet Nam aka Indo-China. The other Western countries saw this and decided they could do it, too.

I'm not sure if this can be classified as a "trigger..."

Plumeria!

My friends and I have noticed if the scent of plumeria lingers, I become very sensitive. There is an exact cycle that repeats itself any time I am exposed to the scent of plumeria:

At first, I love it-- it feels warm to me. Then I feel profoundly sad; and inevitably, I become angry and aggressive. My best friends will remind me of this any time we have exposure to plumeria; they've banned me from using it.

It gets bad. cover face

I do not recall having flashbacks or pl memories because of the smell, so I am not sure if this can be classified as a "trigger..." What do you think?

Has any one heard of a similar story?

I don't know if this counts, but my mom said recently that she never noticed until recently that she reads books right to left (back cover to front cover) and not the other way around. Then she added "Maybe I was Jewish in a past life."

(I then added other languages, like Asian or other Arabic ones read right to left too!)

That's so strange, Arynleigh! But how wonderful that your friends have recognised this too! I'd definitely class that as a trigger, smells are so powerfully connected to memories.

For me it's viewing a certain type of horizon. I have a dog and do a lot of walking and a few years ago I started to notice an uneasiness when I encountered a certain landscape. It can be anywhere, it's not a particular place, but it's usually a slight incline in an empty field, so that there's nothing on the horizon but the sky. I feel frightened and dizzy and often feel as though I might be sick. Luckily my partner is sympathetic and we have to stop for a few minutes until it passes. I have no memories, it's just the emotion that comes through. I always assumed it was a battlefield thing, perhaps connected with the English Civil War. It's definitely an ancient war as opposed to more recent battles. I did find a link to the French/Italian wars in a recent self-regression, so who knows!

The other trigger is narrative based. It's separation and then reunion after death. I don't often cry at television shows or films, but if that's a plotline, I'm inconsolable. There are a few terrible films that affected me far more than they ought to have, and the LOST finale was almost unwatchable for me, I sobbed for hours, it was pretty embarrassing. It all fits in with the things I've recently discovered about my previous life, so I take that as a little shred of proof. And I'm always happy to collect a little more of that!

Kapitan, I just think you're neat. I think we have so much to talk about.

Argonne1918, I did one plr recently. There was a yellow flower in my memory but it was a yellow poppy. I plan to do more plr but I'm still trying to get the first one on a thread. It's just so long, and personal... and I keep finding things that match up when I research that it's got me reeling. Now I'm seeing cycles not just in this life, but in other pl memories. I'm just trying to process it and organize it for myself. Also, I read it's not good to continually do plr because you may begin to mix things up. What do you think about overdoing it? Sometimes I can't seem to prevent them from coming through.

Anaesthesia, you make a point I've been trying to get people to understand. (That's another compulsion of mine.) I believe we have these memories within us, and many times we present them, but we don't listen to ourselves. Literally, listen. I think your mom's casual comment was spot on bc it came out naturally, and bc it was particular. ("Jewish," as opposed to "a culture that reads like that.")

Whippoorwill, it's like I was telling my friend earlier today. My life is a world of oddities but I'm more comfortable there, because at least I can find my way around in there. Lol. Yes, if you like the intrigue of everything unseen in our world, we can be great friends. :)

Your horizon reaction is much like my plumeria one. At first, (I read in pictures,) I was picturing you on a ship looking at the horizon coming in to port and you were seasick, but your battlefield scenario makes better sense. When was this war? Do you prefer to avoid the trigger? Maybe these are things we can stare down. Maybe we should allow them to trigger us. Clearly, there's a high emotional charge with them. Your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Arynleigh said:
Also, I read it's not good to continually do plr because you may begin to mix things up. What do you think about overdoing it? Sometimes I can't seem to prevent them from coming through.
In case you haven't already been told this, you need to start a journal and write everything down. After a while the small details will start to fade from your conscious memory. I haven't done any regressions for a long time, but I created a computer document with a table. About three columns wide. 1st column is the date I did the regression. 2nd is the date of the life that I saw. Third is details of what I saw. Are the PL memories starting to come through when you are NOT doing a regression? That hasn't happened to me, but I have heard of it happening to other people. Maybe the memories are close to the surface and are wanting to come out?

Stress can be a trigger. Yes indeed. When things are coming up from 'down below'. It's ok. Just write it all down Shadow. Don't be afraid. You are not alone. Many people have felt like this before. You get through it. You are among friends. Don't be afraid.

My friend X

Last edited by a moderator:
Google Doodles / triggers?

On the day of this post, Google did an image commemorating the 120th birthday of 'The Father of Industrial Design' 'Raymond Loewy.'

Google frequently does doodles commemorating both key people and "little known" people in history; hence, plenty of opportunities for "grist" to act as "triggers of sorts" for possible past life memories!

LINK: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Loewy

Is this a trigger for a past life/death?

I was just reminded of this while reading through this thread, any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if this counts as a trigger but I think it does. (sorry for the length).

For as long as I can remember I have had a recurring nightmare about public toilets. It's more than a nightmare, I always wake knowing it means something but I don't know what. I also suffer from ptsd and night terrors so it could just be related to that? It doesn't feel the same as those though.

In the toilets it is always dirty, really stinking and gross. There is always a tiled wall and always shower cubicles as well. It's not the same bathroom all the time though.

I am hiding in there, scared for my life. Someone is trying to find me, they will kill me when they find my hiding place.

6 years ago I lived in a beautiful big old building that was a boys school around 100 years ago. There were only two apartments in it, the rest of the rooms were for artists and dance schools and things like that. All the corridors were always open to me, but not the rooms. I used to walk around it at night and thought it was strange that I never got a feeling from the building, it didn't feel historical if you know what I mean?

One night walking home from a gig I had to walk into the back door of the building and down a long dark corridor to get to my place at the end. On the way down the corridor there was a public bathroom (just toilet cubicles). All of the sudden I felt faint and nauseous, I was petrified, so scared I felt sick to my stomach. I could feel the danger all around me. It felt like I could choke on it. At the exact same time I could see a hand gripping me around my mouth from behind and dragging me into the bathroom. I could see a knife, and blood everywhere. All over the walls and floors. (This is what I could see in my minds eye). I've never had a vision before or since, but I know this was one as I could see it and feel it like it was really happening. I was both inside the bathroom being slashed and outside running for my door at the same time.

Needless to say I ran, I really ran for my door as hard and fast as I could. I got the door unlocked and slammed it shut and locked it back up. I then spent an hour trying to calm down.

My husband was playing at the same gig and had stayed later, after about an hour and a half I heard him bashing on the door, he was almost screaming for me to let him in. I rushed over and opened it. He was white as a ghost. He said that there was something out there, but couldn't say what. He just said it was wrong, he felt the same thing as me.

We stayed living there for about a year after that. It never came back again.

But with my fear and unease of public bathrooms (they really make me feel like I am in danger), what happened that night, and my constant reoccurring nightmares about them I wonder if it is a trigger? Could I have been murdered in a public bathroom in a previous life? (what a horrid way to go :( )

(Sorry if this doesn't fit here, I would appreciate any input and sorry for the length.) Thanks :)

FASV said:
But with my fear and unease of public bathrooms (they really make me feel like I am in danger), what happened that night, and my constant reoccurring nightmares about them I wonder if it is a trigger? Could I have been murdered in a public bathroom in a previous life? (what a horrid way to go :( )
(Sorry if this doesn't fit here, I would appreciate any input and sorry for the length.) Thanks :)
Two thoughts. It could be past life related to you. OR it could be related to something that happened in the building. Are there any reports of paranormal or ghost sightings in the building? The fact that your husband had the same experience in the same location sounds like it could be related to the building itself and not specifically to you. Is there any way to research the history of the building? When did the school close? When was it converted? Are you a "sensitive"? Do you pick up on things that others don't?

I think there was something specific to the building, as argonne suggested, but I also think that the dreams about public toilets could be past life related for you. Did you ever have a bad experience in one as a child - maybe when you were so young that the experience is buried in your subconscious? If not, the answer could be PL related.

argonne1918 said:
Two thoughts. It could be past life related to you. OR it could be related to something that happened in the building. Are there any reports of paranormal or ghost sightings in the building? The fact that your husband had the same experience in the same location sounds like it could be related to the building itself and not specifically to you. Is there any way to research the history of the building? When did the school close? When was it converted? Are you a "sensitive"? Do you pick up on things that others don't?
Thank you. I'm not sure about the school and when it closed but I will look it up. As far as I know there are no sightings or paranormal activity in the building ( It's called King Edward Court, in Dunedin, New Zealand). But then I have never checked.

I have known things before they have happened or while they are happening far from me, but only the normal amount any does I think, and certainly not enough to be helpful to me or others.

I will look up King Edward Court tonight. Thank you for your input. It does make more sense that it was connected to the building.

BriarRose said:
I think there was something specific to the building, as argonne suggested, but I also think that the dreams about public toilets could be past life related for you. Did you ever have a bad experience in one as a child - maybe when you were so young that the experience is buried in your subconscious? If not, the answer could be PL related.
As far as I know I haven't had an experience like that in a public toilet, but I did have a traumatic childhood, and I have dissociative amnesia from the period of the age 12-15.

Now that I have read your replies (thanks heaps, fast replies!) I can see that the things might not be related at all. Isn't it funny how in your mind things seem to fit together, but when you get some advice from people outside of the situation you can see it clearer. I can't believe that I didn't think to look into King Edward Court's history, or that I might of actually had a bad experience in a bathroom. It makes so much sense, but seems like it is one of those times you need it pointed out to you.

Thanks again for your help everyone!

Don't write off a PL connection too quickly. I have a strange terror of being locked in a restroom stall, and not being able to get out. This is kind of silly, considering that I could crawl out under the door, but the panic always sets in if the door sticks! I've never been able to figure out why this happens, so your bad dreams actually make more sense! :laugh:

FASV said:
I have known things before they have happened or while they are happening far from me, but only the normal amount any does I think, and certainly not enough to be helpful to me or others.
I will look up King Edward Court tonight. Thank you for your input. It does make more sense that it was connected to the building.
I would say you have MORE psychic ability than the average person. But the majority of members here seem to have that ability as well. You are in great company here. Also, remembering past lives and having psychic ability seem to go hand in hand.

BriarRose said:
Don't write off a PL connection too quickly. I have a strange terror of being locked in a restroom stall, and not being able to get out. This is kind of silly, considering that I could crawl out under the door, but the panic always sets in if the door sticks! I've never been able to figure out why this happens, so your bad dreams actually make more sense! :laugh:
That does sound like an awful fear. And it's difficult with it being related to public toilets, as much as you can plan it sometimes they just can't be avoided.

I did wonder at the time of the presence in King Edward Court if I felt it because of something that had happened previously, and if my husband felt it too because it was so strong. For around 5 years after I would still feel very real nausea every time I remembered it. The feeling was like what I imagine police feel when they come onto a horrific crime scene like we see on television and they run out and be sick. Except it was during the crime and not after. It also chilled me right through to my soul (if that makes sense).

One of the ways I used to describe it was like pure evil.

I have looked up the history and found one mention of a ghost (no mention of any crimes or murders) The ghost apparently is of a 13 year old girl who fell to her death from a stairwell.

argonne1918 said:
I would say you have MORE psychic ability than the average person. But the majority of members here seem to have that ability as well. You are in great company here. Also, remembering past lives and having psychic ability seem to go hand in hand.
Both my father and my eldest son have some psychic ability as well. My son has it like the children I have read about on this forum. He will go into a very serious space, and then announce what he has to say, he will not answer any questions afterwards and will go back to his usual childlike self. For example, once when he was 3 we were jumping on the bed together. He stopped and looked at me very seriously and said "Devon is coming home". Devon is my younger sister who lives with me sometimes. I tried asking him what he meant, but he just continued bouncing and the moment was gone. Later that afternoon Devon rang and announced that she would be moving back with us in two days!

I agree that I am in great company here. I am really enjoying reading through everyone's experiences.

Just as a side note, I went to visit a psychic some years back, she even predicted the minor car accident we were in later that afternoon, down to the street and colours of the cars involved. She told me that in one past life I was Rachel, a 14 year old girl who died of influenza in London in the 1800's and also a man named William who passed on a battle field (I always thought this was with swords and not guns).

Rachel and William sound like good leads. Some psychics are pretty skilled at discovering those. How did you feel about what she told you?

I was quite young at the time I was told this, around 16. The feeling I most remember was comfort. It seemed perfectly natural that I would of been these people and that I had lives before this one.

I have not had any memories of either of those lives however, but then again, I have never really tried to either. I was reading on here last night that you all have been doing regressions, from youtube or a CD? Next time I get some alone time (could be a while since I have two kids) I thought I would look this up and try it. I would like to be able to connect to whatever came before.

I would not like to remember anything about what happened in public restrooms however, as it is not a pleasant feeling already! Can you choose which one you connect to? Sorry if that's a silly question. :rolleyes:

You can start by watching the regression videos on YouTube. I think even Brian Weiss has one there. There are also CD's, DVD's, etc.

Argonne1918, I got your message and tried to reply but it says your message box is full :) Yes please is my answer!

Certain pictures of the past make me very nostalgic, especially colored ones of happier times.

Fireworks used to trigger me as a kid. I would go absolutely ballistic for a while and then I got over it as I got older. The same with thunder, which we rarely got in San Diego. Sounded too much like falling bombs.

Later on in my life, when I was in Iraq and our base would get bombed it triggered memories for me. We would have a siren that would go off and people had to run to bunkers. It was much too much like WWII but not quite the same sound. WWII sirens absolutely send chills through me to the bone and always have. I can't stand hearing them.

Old period music also triggers nostalgic feelings in me and sometimes memories too.

A documentary is what triggered some of my first memories.

ZeonChar said:
Later on in my life, when I was in Iraq and our base would get bombed it triggered memories for me. We would have a siren that would go off and people had to run to bunkers. It was much too much like WWII but not quite the same sound. WWII sirens absolutely send chills through me to the bone and always have. I can't stand hearing them.
It's a good thing for you California does not have tornadoes. And the Cold War is over. During the Cold War in the 50's and 60's air raid sirens were installed and tested monthly. I don't remember having "Duck and Cover" drills at school, but once they had us line up out in the hallways and crouch down. This was in a two story brick school.

I think it's interesting that you experienced war again, ZeonChar. Do you think you enlisted to go to Iraq, so you could face past life fears? If so, you tackled your PL issues, head-on. In my understanding, that's why we are here. I've seen film of life in Germany before the war started to go badly. Civilians do look really happy in them. Do pictures from other times and places cause you to feel nostalgia also?

Argonne, I would hate those tornado sirens; glad we don't have them here!

BriarRose, I think people are drawn to things from past lives that are still very fresh for them. For me, I've always been drawn to the military and can only remember lives in a military capacity. I'm not sure why I felt compelled to join again this time around. Maybe I was trying to recapture some sort of past glory? Maybe it was part of a cycle I was repeating over and over? Being in war can be exhilarating. It's so unlike anything that normal people experience. Yet my time in WWII was so very awful, I don't know why I would ever want to experience that ever again. Although I ended it by suicide and so maybe by some sort of process of karma I needed to experience it again in order to finish whatever I had started out to do as far as my soul was concerned. Although I had some really rough times in Iraq it was nothing compared to the horrors I experienced in WWII. Part of the reason also could be to face past life fears, like you suggested. I hadn't thought about that before. It was a scary experience at times to deal with and I had no idea what I was getting into going into it.

I'm drawn to other periods of time, but the German one stands out most for me. I don't get the same emotional gut reaction to other pictures from other periods like I do with pictures of Germany pre-war. Sometimes I can look at a picture from that time and the response can be so overwhelming emotionally that it can be really hard to deal with.

I have read that if a life is cut short by war, suicide, or accident, we are drawn to a life situation that ties up the loose ends, like a school assignment. We feel compelled to finish the "assignment", so our life circumstances are selected to help with that. I know that's been true for me, in the resolution of my last life's issues. You express your feelings about Germany very well. Your yearning for the "good times" sounds almost painfully strong.

Back