Next Life's Lessons

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Deborah, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

Dr. Charles Richards focuses on what he calls Soul Journey's , a non-hypnotic method of past life work; the following is from his newsletter and I thought a few of his points would make for a great discussion.

2. Don LH

Don LH seeker

I'm inclined to agree

In the teachings of The Western Mystery School, the student is told we reincarnate every 450 years or so! I'm certain that can be true if a specific, very convoluted set of circumstances are being allowed to unfold before a new birth opportunity can present itself. However, in "modern times" I would expect those opportunities to present themselves more frequently, even in group scenarios, and personal accounts on this forum would tend more to verify that, than discount it.

3. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

Again - this makes me wonder how time is perceived in the between state. It seems I have been reborn very quickly every time as far back as I remember, but I don't know the reason for this.

I believe it's possible we are taken to our next incarnation - not planning it in detail ourselves - but I still believe we get to choose whether we accept the life offered to us.

Thanks for an interesting story, Deborah!

Karoliina

4. Eevee

Eevee Administrator Emeritus Staff Member Super Moderator

Maybe the next life's lessons are best applied when you are reborn faster - IF the lessons you choose/need to learn are connected with your LAST life before the rebirth.

In my own experience, I am encountering relationships/problems to be worked on that have their roots in a lifetime in Ancient Egypt around 1550 BC, among others. There are also things I need to work on that relate to a lifetime in the late 1800's in England, and recently I discovered that I also have continued on a relationship that started in the early 4th century in Thessaloniki.

Eevee

5. Sunniva

Sunniva Administrator Emeritus

Eevees argument strikes a cord with me. I believe that the lessons we choose/need doesn't necessarily (only) have roots in the last incarnation. From that perspective the speed at which a soul is reborn has no consequence for the lessons that needs to be learned.

It was a great story Deborah, thanks :)

6. Charles Stuart

Charles Stuart Probationary

Hi Deborah,

Very interesting... :thumbsup:

From my own experience, I have learned that Spiritual Guides or Masters can and do not only determine our future lives, but also influence our day-to-day, our choices and even our "karma".

Hi Karoliina,

I believe this is not always so, in particular with those with "heavier karmas".

7. tanguerra

tanguerra Moderator Emeritus

As always I am deeply suspicious of neat (especially linear) theories which are supposed to be able to be applied as one-size-fits-all rules.

I think it is a bit more 'chaotic' than that. By chaotic, I mean in the mathematical sense - that there may be order, but it is so complex it is hard to see the patterns (as in the way smoke billows, or clouds form).

I believe the more experience and the more consciousness people develop throughout the course of their many lives the more subtle and complex the lessons become. Every situation we are presented with in life provides us with the opportunity to learn something. Some lessons are very brutal and harsh, some much more subtle and complex.

Some people are very aware and are fast learners, others more stubborn and resistant. Some lessons are easier for some people than others to grasp. It's personal. It's individual.

I personally doubt there is any connection with how much 'time' one spends on the 'other side' - although of course it is always interesting to conjecture and see if a pattern can be found.

8. Deborah

Interesting. ;) I read his premise to suggest another POV that does not embrace the status quo found in so many books. Which is why I posted it. :cool It seems to me that a lot of books are based on the authors BEST cases..... cases that confirm their personal theories. I liked the fact that he was presenting another possibility - his case was a great example of course...but I don't think he is presenting it as the only way.

Tanguerra, you stated -

An excellent point and I couldn't agree more; however, I think he is making a similar point - in that he is presenting another possibility; breaking the mold set by New Age theorists. I have my own POV which is more like your statement: It's personal and each is unique. ;)
    I think it is too easy for people to identify WITH an authors theory and cling to it as truth - not really looking within for what is real for them....and how karma works at a personal level.

Don -

I got a good chuckle at this. :laugh: I like your way with words...... makes me wonder just how convoluted souls can make their personal circumstances. ;)

9. Charles Stuart

Hi to both of you,

Couldn't agree more... Apparently it depends on each soul/spirit's evolutionary level of consciousness, and there also seem to be several different "realms of existence" in the spiritual universes, in accordance to the different levels of consciousness, awareness and moral evolutionary stages of each soul/spirit.

10. Deborah

Hi Charles,

So then how do you understand his statement in the original quote?

It seems he is implying that the lessons are learned quicker in the physical not the spiritual realms.

11. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

Interesting premise for sure. I can see the point of quick movement and the idea of maintaining momentum. But I agree with Tanguerra, every soul's journey is unique. Since learning and accepting reincarnation as a reality, I've also come to the understanding that the limitations our cognizant minds place on things is folly. We're struggling with earthly minds on cosmic matters; we're only touching a grain of sand in this great universe. Dr. Richards has certainly put forth an interesting and plausible thought...I can relate in my own situation.

Tinkerman

12. Charles Stuart

Hi Deborah,

Still under the concept of "spiritual evolution", it seems that the less evolved soul/spirits, who therefore have more lessons to learn and a greater urgency to do so, do indeed reincarnate at a faster rate than a soul that is more evolved. The soul/spirits of a higher order reincarnate at longer intervals, and there are those that no longer even have the need to reincarnate.

Apparently, the longer or shorter intervals are determined not only by a soul's choice, but also in accordance to the density of its spiritual body, and this density is determined by the soul/spirit's evolutionary degree. The more evolved a soul/spirit, the more subtle is its spiritual body, and therefore less drawn to the greater density of the physical realms. The process seems to work through attraction...

Yes, although the reason for this is beyond my comprehension, this does indeed seem to be the case. It is for this reason that ALL soul/spirits must undergo the reincarnatory process. Perhaps because experiencing in the physical, without the knowledge of the eternity of each soul, carries with it a greater weight in terms of emotional experience? But I believe that, when we are in the spiritual realms, our overall understanding is expanded, and we continue to learn, experience and progress. Perhaps some lessons are learned faster in the physical and others in the spiritual? Or the lessons are of different natures?

For whatever reason, reincarnation is the process that was determined. Why it should be this way is a question for which your guess would be as good as mine... :thumbsup: ;)

What do you think?

13. Deborah

HI Charles,

Perhaps - but I cannot help but feel that our intellectual intelligence (mind), our heart intelligence, and our emotional/feeling center (solar plexus); working in tandem with our belief's, draws us to our next experience. Here is an example:

My grandmother passed away a few years ago. She had dementia and passed at age 84. She was angry with her husband who died before she did, (even though they had a good marriage) and she was always upset with her sister Ruth - who also passed away before she did, but only by a few years. Grandma was not religious, she did not go to church. She really didn't adhere to any belief system except to be kind to others and live a "good life."

The day she passed, my mother was with her, she whispered into her ear "Mom, come back as Ruth's daughter - so the two of you can heal."

A year after her death, mom kept noticing her mothers presence and the fact that she seemed upset. Mom asked why. The first time grandma's reply was "I am waiting for someone." Mom worried who would pass next. She wondered who her mother was waiting for. The next time mom asked - she replied, "Do you know how long I will have to wait to be Ruth's daughter?" Mom was puzzled but then remembered what she has whispered into her ear before she had died.

Mom then told her mother she didn't have to wait; that she could come back when she was ready. Mom sensed her mothers surprise and in a blink of an eye she was gone. A few days later she experienced a vision of a little boy named Nathan. This child died from infant death syndrome at a month old. Grandma came back and told her what happened. "The body could not sustain life."

Is grandma again still waiting? We're not sure. But I do know that what grandma believed, what she held in her consciousness, she created. Time was slow for her, she thought she had to wait for Ruth to grow up.

I think that what we learn in life can be understood better in the spiritual realms or higher dimensions; however, if it was not for the physical experience - how would the spiritual realms..understand. ;) What a paradox heh?

14. Charles Stuart

Hi Deborah,

Yes, I believe you are right in this... And, in fact, this combination apparently works at an even faster rate in the Spiritual Realm in order to "create". It is apparently for this reason that those with "lower" or "more impure" thoughts and intentions tend to be drawn, in the afterlife, to places where the "vibrationally created reality" is in accordance to their own levels. This is why many who pass over can experience a temporary state of "hell".

Yes. I believe the purpose of "incarnating" is precisely in order to "emotionally experience", and therefore better "understand", the results of the choices of our own free will... :thumbsup:

15. tltfaas

tltfaas New Member

Choosing A Life

Hi all,

This is a fascinating thread! My guess is that "younger" and more "inexperienced" souls get decisions made for them in some aspects of their next life. More experienced souls may go through a longer, more intensive planning period. I distinctly remember being pushed hard to choose one life or another... the decision wasn't made for me but many conversations with my peers and my teachers convinced me despite my hesitation.

I actually had a dream recently about a life planning session that was so fascinating. My spirit group and I were in a small meeting room with a sunk in area that had steps all around a center depression. We were sitting on the carpeted steps during the meeting.

I was given a choice of a handful of lives and was shown a process where I could step into that life and experience a bit to see what I thought. I saw the major players in my life and in the subsequent discussion period my spiritual group members showed themselves as various members of these lives.

It was truly an intellectual and emotional decision I had to make and teachers, guides and peers discussed my choice forwards and backwards.

Bonnie

16. Deborah

Do new members have any thoughts about this? It's a beautiful example Richards shares.

17. Aussie

Aussie Katherine

Between lives vision

Hi all,

I had a vision showing me the harshness of this particular life, here, in Texas -- how it would be. It wouldn't always be harsh, but it would be a huge tribulation to bear for several decades. I had a choice of an easier life, and was given information of that life. Then I was shown a glimpse of the tougher life, and my vision showed me that I was given a choice, and that I chose the harder life. Why? Because I was told that if I chose that life, the growth to my soul, and to my twin soul would be incredible. It was an enormous opportunity to work through alot of life lessons quickly.

I saw this vision in September 2004. My twin soul found me several months later; I'd incarnated as a female, and he incarnated as a male in this life. I never told him about all this, in detail, and yet, he has created artistic works showing all the details I saw in that vision. Those particular works weren't created until sometime in 2006 or 2007, I forget exactly which. It's been a crazy ride, I must say!!

The between life vision showed my TS begging me, pleading with me not to go through so much suffering, to allow him to go in my place instead. But the die was cast, and I knew I had to do what I had to do. A great being of light and love and harmony, which I took to be God, lovingly explained to my TS that we were forever entwined, as we are two halves of the same life spark, and we are always destined to find one another, and would in this lifetime, as well.

So much has happened in such a short time I can't even begin to describe it to where it would make any real sense. But, it has been a beautiful journey. It helped me make sense of so many things in this incarnation that hadn't made any sense at all before.

I can't stress the importance of meditation enough, of going within the self for answers to so many burning questions.

18. 2 Seek

2 Seek Searching to Learn & Grow

:thumbsup: Have me crying here mate! Joyious cry at that.

19. alaskanlaughter

alaskanlaughter Senior Registered

Aussie, what a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing that. :)

20. oldsoul

oldsoul Senior Registered

Joy and gratitude

Hi folks, more joy and gratitude for you and this list.

I have had two soul readings, one hypnotic regression and one Woolger session so far. The Woolger session gave me the most integration and healing.

I attempted an LBL session with a Michael Newton trained therapist, but was blocked somehow from going "there". I suspect part of it was the therapist herself, I believe she held some negative judgments about me from things we discussed prior to the session. I also believe she didn't spend enough time and work in the induction process. A $450 session. I did, however get to know what I experienced in choosing this particular body. It's 65 years old today, but as healthy as many 30 year olds. 6'3", 210 pounds, with pretty good flexibility and strength. I was aware of a deep sense of obligation and responsibility in choosing this vehicle.

This lifetime has piggy-backed onto the short one (<6 years) that immediately preceded it. No 450 years between these two, I don't know about the others (yet). That life was about learning courage and compassion, and I learned those lessons well, but carried over most of the wounds as soul memories and habits. My wife (who was my elder sister then) was with me when the Gestapo took us from our parents and home in Germany to a camp in Poland where we eventually died. From German Jewish orphan to 7th generation WASP professional military man. Can you say "diversity"?

Besides my wife and I, I know others who have made rapid transitions from the Shoa (Holocaust) to lives in the present. I believe it was because it was great opportunity to learn soul lessons during a large-scale event. Many souls took advantage of that opportunity. I don't know whether I volunteered or was "drafted" by higher beings yet. I just know that many souls participated.

I also know a man who was a Commandant of a concentration camp. His choices in Germany were; go to the Eastern Front in Russia and die there leaving his widowed mother with no support, or run a concentration camp. He was born in this life in 1969. He is a big, gentle man who loves children and animals. You should see the tenderness he is capable of. He is totally devoted to me and my wife, he is our youngest son. Of our three children, he is the one my wife and I want to have near to help us in our real old age. He knows this, he's the only other family member I have that even believe in reincarnation, let alone have any memory of it. I told him over breakfast recently that he is living and fulfilling his life mission through his love and support to me and his Mom. He respects and loves me very much. He carries deep scars in his soul, and is going to do a therapy session with a Woolger trained facilitator.

This raises many questions, doesn't it? How much courage did it take to be a concentration camp Commandant?

21. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

An interesting older thread. :)

Karoliina

22. Deborah

What do you think of Richards premise in the original quotes in this thread?

23. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

"...there are times when we pass from one life to the next without much preparation or activity. The next life's lessons would be best applied the faster you are reborn. That way you don’t lose the momentum." - Charles Richards

This is something that I have never considered in the context of reincarnation, but it makes a great deal of sense. It seems that when one is given too much time to consider the next move, one often over-thinks possibilities, which is the primary case for many of our mistakes. Although, one might think that a process of linear time is implied by thinking things through, I believe that any distraction, regardless of time duration, can totally disrupt one's flow of consciousness. So, even if the concept of time between incarnations has little meaning; it seems possible to lose one's momentum between incarnations by various distractions.

It seems that cases of untimely death would likely precipitate the need for quick recycling into situations that are conducive to one's spiritual growth. Borrowing a page from numerous training procedures, the best test of one's newly acquired knowledge is to suddenly throw the student into situations in which there is very little time for conscious thought and consideration. And, if the student is learning to ride, it is often best to get back on after falling off.

It also seems that some lessons could require harsh immersion into multiple life situations that are not pleasant to think about during the periods between incarnations. Living those experiences in quick succession could provide substantial wisdom and endurance training in much the same way as one would train for a triathlon.

24. Charles Stuart

Hi Deborah,

I have mentioned on the forum a few times that here in Brazil I took part for 12 years in a religious line of African origin known as Umbanda. African slaves brought to Brazil from the Congo and Angola regions brought with them their religion known as Candomblé, which holds roots also to Santeria.

Candomblé in its essence is the understanding that the forces of nature hold a form of consciousness, which are asociated to the "Orishas" or "gods". My interpretation of this nowadays is that what they in fact are referring to are to the "Spiritual Masters".

As I have shared with you, here in Brazil there is another line which has become very strong known as "Kardecist Spiritism" or "Christian Spiritism", which is one that, contrarily to the assumption once held here that it was "just another doctrinating cult", is in fact one that holds my respect precisely because it is not, and because the philosophy of spiritual evolution via the reincarnatory process that is shared in is the only one I have encountered that coherently explains what I have come to learn from my own experience.

The line of "Umbanda" (One Band / One Line) was founded when, during a "white table" Kardecist mediumnic session, a spiritual entity presented himself as an Indian and said that a new line was about to be created which would unify the two. At first, those present understood that this "Indian" had to be an entity of lesser enlightenment, but soon realized how prejudiced they had been in assuming this.

In Umbanda, the spiritual entities/spiritual guides present themselves mediumnically under a symbolic disguise, some of them representing the most humble races, or the races that have been most persecuted throughout human history: indians, negro slaves, gypsies... All three of which are a representation of the phalanx and level at which the spiritual entity finds itself, and these three symbolic manifestations are of spiritual entities of the highest order.

I could not say for sure why spirituality chose to manifest itself to me in the way that it did, but apparently I was once also a slave owner, and must have arrogantly and prejudicedly discarded their religion and cults as "the devil's work". We live and learn... :)

During both Candomblé and Umbanda sessions, drums are played and specific songs are chanted, which bring the brain's ressonance into a different frequency, such as is the case with the "Tibetan Bells", and such states help in the mediumnic incorporation process.

For the "old negro slaves", this is a song that is sung upon evoking them (obviously rhyming in Portuguese):

In Portuguese:

:) :thumbsup:

25. Truthseeker

Truthseeker Former Moderator

An interesting read. :thumbsup: The fact that her life as a slave taught her compassion in preparation for writing about the Native Americans raises a question in my mind. Do we plan several lives in advance as part of the bigger picture? It almost seems as though her life with the Native Americans was already planned before her life as a slave, and she lived as a slave in preparation to live the life as a writer to the fullest.

Also, I know I read before (but I can't remember where) that chosing lives does depend entirely on the individual. Some souls are trusted with more control over deciding where and when they will incarnate. On the other hand, other souls are given little or no choice. It is not a cookie cutter approach because everyone's needs and rate of progress is different. I wish I knew where I saw this. :rolleyes:

I have another question to pose. It kind of ties into Deborah's idea of being intellectually and emotionally drawn to our next experience. Do you think it's possible to have an idea what your next life will be like before this one is over? The reason why I ask is because, if you have a strong wondering about what it would be like to be a particular person, or nationality, or whatever...are you creating or even getting an idea of what a future experience would be? Are you drawn to wondering because somewhere inside of your consciousness you know that those are the shoes you will eventually be in?

26. Charles Stuart

Hi Truthseeker,

I think the point is that such forecasts are not only and entirely in our hands and the results of our own choice. As Deborah pointed out, contrarily to certain New Age beliefs, it is not only our own Soul-Consciousness that decides and makes the choices concerning our future incarnations...

27. Deborah

I am enjoying the new additions in this thread. The depth of reflection and new questions. :D

Truthseeker...I think we can bring into our next incarnation, a new experience, a different culture and a whole new way of life. But I also think we can just as easily find ourselves surrounded by people/souls we do not know, placed in situations not planned. Imagine the confusion, the feelings and emotions that arise and where that would then lead us. :tongue:

Excellent question.

I believe that each soul is unique, each experience unique and even if we think we have planned our lives, our situations, accidents happen. Choices by those around us can also alter our lives and so the lessons and experiences do too.

28. Truthseeker

Well, I wasn't necessarily suggesting that we only are planning this out. If it is God, or spiritual guides, or whoever...it seems that it is possible that there is a plan in which one life can be laying the foundation for another.
    I completely agree. When each soul we come in contact with has a free will, there are so many variables involved.

29. Charles Stuart

Hi Truthseeker,

I agree entirely. I really do believe that there is a flow in our successive reincarnations with "perfection" or "enlightenment" or "heaven" or "nirvana" as the ultimate goal, and that each lifetime is a step forward in this process in which our experiences and choices lay the foundations for each one. Not to mention the issue of karma.

I do believe that new Souls are being created all the time, and that as Deborah said each Soul is unique in its experiences and choices. Created pure and perfect, but in ignorance, just like a new-born baby, some Souls do not yet have the knowledge and capacity to determine what life-choices are necessary in order to best take advantage of each reincarnatory opportunity. In these cases, it seems that Spiritual Masters and Guides play a stronger part in the decisions that are taken concerning each one. I once read that there are even spiritual entities who are responsible for caring for and directing the reincarnations of animals, who are still not at the level or consciousness to make such choices on their own.

I often think of ourselves as children, behaving like children, with all our selfishness and meanness, and in truth, spiritually speaking, that is precisely what we are; so often it is necessary that a spiritual master, just as a parent or a teacher, simply because they have greater experience, should guide and direct us in our choices.

The Orisha I mentioned by the name of Ohshallah, for example, which means the "Son of Allah" or the "Son of God", according to the African mythology was the first being created by the Supreme God who in Candomblé and Umbanda is referred to as Olorun. He is not considered superior to any other Orisha, but is greatly respected by all the others for his experience and wisdom, just as we would also respect and listen to an older person for the same reason.

And btw, I am a great fan of your posts... :) :thumbsup:

Charles

30. Truthseeker

Thank you :)