One version of how Reincarnation works

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Nightrain, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

I found a web page that someone may find interesting regarding how Reincarnation works. The whole article is at this link:

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/pamphlets/KarmaReincarnation.html

Here is an excerpt:

Would this article change your opinion about our present Western ethics?

2. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

Not having enough time to read through the whole article, I have to say I don't agree with the claim in the excerpt.

I believe in free will and freedom of choice. I believe karma is created when we take away someone's ability to choose. Euthanasia is about choise, and those participating are helping another person to choose.

Sometimes a patient won't be able to say what they want. For example a person can be braindead, and their family can choose to switch off the machines that keep the patient alive. It's a bit different then, as we wouldn't know what the patient's choice would be. I still wouldn't think karma is created. Today's medicine is so developed it creates odd situations, when a person would (maybe even should?) die without taking their care to the extremes.

Karoliina

3. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

I read the article and enjoyed the wisdom and texture of it. It, like all narrations of faith, is a perspective. It is there for each to discern from. Our contemporary ideas on these subjects often conflict with the ancient. I think they stand each on their own merit, and remain for the individual soul to process. I see the wisdom, I see the conflict, and there in lies the lesson, and it's certainty, like all doctrine, is its uncertainty. The truth can only be found on the other side.

Interesting read.

Thanks

Tman

4. tanguerra

tanguerra Moderator Emeritus

No.

This is not a modern conundrum. This is an old one. Imagine being on a battlefield in the 'olden days' (bad karma to start with of course... depending on what you are fighting for and who 'started it' and so on and so forth...) You see someone lying on the battlefield after the fight is over, horribly wounded. They are obviously going to die before long. All that lies before them is a couple of days of excrutiating agony, shortly, but quite certainly, to be followed by death... This is before the days of medivac helicopters, painkilling drugs and antibiotics.

What would you do? Would you kill them quickly? Would that be merciful? Would that be 'bad karma'? Would you just walk away and leave it up to 'God' (however you conceive Her)?

As Tinkerman says, there are no easy answers to these things.