Properties of Rocks and Crystals

Discussion in 'Parapsychology' started by BriarRose, Apr 10, 2014.

1. BriarRose

BriarRose Senior Registered

I recently bought a specimen of nuummite, because of a suggestion Lynnette made. She told me it was an excellent "healing" stone. She was right, and using the stone has been very helpful to me. It is soothing and cool when I pick it up - and becomes warm and soothing very quickly. I'm using it for massage, and sleep with it in my hand. Do other members use rocks and crystals? If so, I would love to hear your experiences, and suggestions. :)

2. Lynnette

Lynnette New Member

I think the most important thing to consider when using rocks is what calls to you. I have read many 'properties' for my rocks and crystals on-line and in my books. But often, the rocks show a different side to me than that which other people rave about. For example, there are a lot of rocks promoted as enhancing psychic abilities, which they may well do, but by focusing on this aspect, their other, more subtle healing properties are grossly over-looked.

Once you have chosen a rock, keep it with you for as long as possible - in a pocket, as earrings, as pendants, or under your pillow. Some rocks like to be kept for a few hours maybe, and then you feel like putting them aside. Others might call you to keep them near you for weeks or months at a time. I had a pair of ruby and moonstone earrings that I wore for almost a year before they stopped calling to me and found themselves surplanted by peridot and rose quartz!

For a nice guide to crystals and their healing properties, Liz Oakes' website is a very good place to start. www.healing-crystals-for-you.com

3. BriarRose

Thank you for the link, Lynette. I get "moonstone" moods sometimes, and wear them for a few weeks. Do you find that the shape of the rock is important? I vacillated with the nuummite - between a pyramid, palm stone, and a wand "massage" shape. I chose the palm stone, and I am glad I did, but my hand is small, and the stone is a little large for it. I would rather choose my own crystals, but even in So Cal, shops that sell them are rare - at a reasonable price, anyway. All the jewelry pieces were expensive, but my daughter could set something for me. I'm going to gather up all my crystals, and put them near me, as you suggested. Right now, I keep the loose ones in a medicine bag.

4. Lynnette

Lynnette New Member

No, I don't find the shape is important, or the size either. As long as it is what you are comfortable with.

I have a scarcity of mineral sources in the UK too. There is a chain that sells crystals, and they can be rather expensive; or sometimes I find them in little ethnic-type shops. Even if I am looking for a particular rock, I don't always buy the first option I see if it does not call me to buy it. I either get something else that does call me - that happens a lot - and often turns out to be what I need and better than what I was looking for anyway, or else wait and let it turn up in its own good time.

Sometimes just random pebbles found on the seashore or out on a walk in the forest, turn out to have more of a kinship for me than the most rare and colourful specimens.

5. helz_belz

helz_belz Super Moderators Staff Member Super Moderator

Interesting. To be honest, I am torn as to the nature of rocks and crystals; as a trained geologist I see them as purely physical items made of elements and compounds, but as a spiritual person I see them as made of exactly the same things as the rest of the Universe, which I see as Divine. I have a small collection of pretty crystals from shops and a larger collection of less pretty (but more special on a personal level) rocks, stones and pebbles that I’ve accumulated on fieldtrips and travels (not to mention the fossils!).

A while back, Whippoorwill gave me a wonderful present of a phantom crystal, specimens of which are meant to represent past lives (which it does well!), but as to whether it has improved my recall I’m not so sure! I’ve also been known in my wilder moments to place a small specimen of haematite on my third eye chakra, but again, no idea if it works or not!

There’s a book I may have mentioned before that speculates about the subtle levels of rocks and crystals (and metals and fabrics and all manner of non-living substances!) - The Nature of Things: The Secret Life of Inanimate Objects by Lyall Watson. He had more science degrees than you can shake a stick at, and the book was really interesting. He speculated that, as all matter is made of atoms and elements, these could act as natural semi-conductors, much like our man-made semi-conductors, and could ‘record’ or ‘absorb’ emotions that are directed towards them, and could be ‘played back’ at a later date by someone ‘in tune’ with the object (please excuse my poor explanation, its been nearly a year since I read the book!).

So, although I’m not exactly sure about crystals having any kind of ‘innate’ spiritual side (pretty sure phantom crystals don’t know any more about past lives than my sofa, same as Lepidolite can’t sure my anxiety any more than my desk lamp! :laugh:), they can act as focussing tools and, maybe, can even absorb our emotions and become ‘in-tune’ with us to some extent, in the process providing us with the help we’re looking for (if I believe my desk lamp can help cure my anxiety, maybe it will?! :rolleyes:). If nothing else, they’re pretty and nice to hold and feel, especially if they have strong emotional ties to holidays or happy times :)

6. Mere Dreamer

Mere Dreamer Senior Registered

Helz I had this vivid mental image of you going around with the desk lamp suspended from your neck by its cord. :laugh:

All I can say to the theory about stones and crystals absorbing our emotions or thoughts is that it seems places absorb such things in general, so it wouldn't surprise me if a certain quality of internal structure would improve that capacity in any object.

I wonder if all our modern, transient building materials affect the atmosphere of the average house more than we think... hmm.

7. BriarRose

I can't pretend to know very much about the atomic structure of objects, like building materials and rocks, but the idea is interesting. Everything may be alive in ways we don't understand. Before I bought the nuummite, I could never tell if the crystals I had did anything mystical or not. I would buy them, and play with them because they were pretty, much like you, Helz. By the way, the book you mentioned went on my "must" read list. Nuummite is supposed to help sever Karmic ties. I can't tell about that yet, but it feels "alive" in my hand. This is a subject I want to learn more about. My daughter gave me a rock she found on a beach that has a natural hole in it. Any one know about those?

This might be a bit "off topic", but I keep a few acorns around, because in Wicca they are said to represent "home". I was sorting my odd, esoteric stuff yesterday, picked up an acorn, and the nut part popped out of the shell. To me, that was another sign I'm moving! :)

8. Mere Dreamer

I have beach stones with holes, also. In fact, one has three holes in it, so I wove and knotted a strip of grass through. Every time I look at that grey stone with the dried grass, I feel comforted. There's just something about a structure as fragile as grass essentially piercing a stone ... even if the holes arrived prior to the grass. :laugh:

My favorite stones are usually beach finds, to the extent where I refuse to bring them home unless they're extra-special these days, because I'd be buried under the overabundance. $P$

One of my soul mates found (and gave me) a gorgeous teal beach stone during one of the most synchronicity-filled days of my life. I wove macrame around it and turned it into a necklace. I'd be curious what type of stone it is, but my knowledge of such things is extremely limited.

How does one even begin to find out???

9. BriarRose

I asked my daughter's geology major boyfriend about mine. He thought it might be sandstone. I have crystals that I bought and lost the label for - thus, I am "clueless". Maybe there are "field guides" for stones on-line?

10. Lynnette

Lynnette New Member

Could you describe the stones, or share any photos of them? I have learned to identify quite a few rocks and crystals in the two years since I 'got into them!'. I am sure there would be others who could also help. ... unless, if they are anything like the specimens I choose, they are almost invariably un-representative of their names! LOL

11. Mere Dreamer

Well, let's see if this works.

[​IMG]

The teal stone looks very soft. I'm always surprised that it is a rock when I touch it because it looks so ... mold-able. The light is bad ... it's actually quite green. Hmm.

12. BriarRose

The rock with holes looks just like mine. Did it come from a California beach? Mine was found in San Diego.

13. Mere Dreamer

This one was found on a beach of Lake Michigan. I think it's a quality of this particular rock (probably sandstone in general?) ... It has a couple imprints that make me think the holes are actually an eroded gap inside a fossil impression.

Oh. This is interesting? Properties of Sandstone First site that came up.

14. Mere Dreamer

Hmm ... it might be Variscite?... the mineral occurs naturally in the extended area and could conceivably have been washed up on the beach.

15. helz_belz

The large stone definitely looks like a sandstone, possibly slightly metamorphosed (ie recrystallised by heat and/or pressure within the Earth). Most holes in pebbles are formed in the hollows left by the inside of fossils. They're considered lucky!

There are plenty of rock and mineral ID guides available, including some that are specific to localised areas (eg Western Europe, or East Coast North America). Sometimes the only way to tell between certain minerals is to break them open with a hammer, scratch them with various things like coins, nails and glass, or even lick them! We have a lot of pebble-strewn beaches in the UK, I have to be careful not to pick up too many. I now tend to pick ones up that 'speak' to me, then 'release' them back into the wild at the end of the walk, returning them to the natural cycle of rocks.

There was a Native American peoples, think it was the Paiute, that treated rocks and pebbles as imbued with spirit. They would pick them up and move them if the rock 'spoke' to them, and would NEVER consider marking a rock unless they asked it first and it 'allowed' them to.

I saw a programme a while back that investigated how working in certain buildings and spaces could cause a dangerous rise in blood-sugar levels to sub-diabetic levels. It didn't look at the materials used in those buildings, but they were modern buildings, maybe the materials used could have been a factor?

Briar, hope you can find a copy of the book, it really is good! Got mine cheap off ebay, but Amazon probably has copies too.

16. Lynnette

Lynnette New Member

Limestone or shale, maybe?

17. BriarRose

Okay - this is strange, and I'm not sure why it should be so. Last night, I was holding the nuummite on my cheekbone, with my eyes closed. I could see a flat plane, like a body of water, with a bright blue horizon line. This wasn't with my actual vision, but on my retina, the way some of us see faces or colors, with closed eyes. I can still "see" it today, although my eyes are closed. If I take the rock away, nothing. Put the stone back, there's the bright blue line. My imagination must be working overtime! :D

18. Mere Dreamer

Hmm ... might have some subtle energy to it that resonates with the part of your nerves that picks up the color blue. It's very interesting. I wonder if others would see the blue line, also?

Well, it's certainly fun for making art of a stone, and I have nothing against a little luck in addition. I think certain stones do speak to me, also. I was quite determined not to bring any rocks home the day I was given the green stone ... and yet, here it is!

19. helz_belz

Sounds like a touch of Psychometry you could be getting from the stone. I've had similar experiences with some fossils, I could 'sense' the environment they inhabited when alive, but only vaguely and without any clarity, but it could have also just been imagination!

20. BriarRose

I'm not sure what is happening, but it's nice. There's a variant of this stone called "Blue Flash", but I didn't buy it. I have to hold the stone for awhile, before the effect starts. I think it would be fun to experiment with different types of crystals, with an open mind, and see what happens.

21. Lynnette

Lynnette New Member

Hi Briar, that is so interesting! :laugh:

I have a similar vision sometimes when playing with my nuummite. In mine, I can also see an apricot coloured skyline, above the blue, and white, icy mountains to one side, with a flash of green to the other. Although, I get the image even if I am not physically holding my stone but when I visualise it, and therefore 'see' myself holding it in my mind's eye.

22. shadowsofmypast

shadowsofmypast Senior Registered

I always heard certain rocks are crystals

have some kind of energy.

I believe some do others not so much.

Ever of heard of the crystal skull?

I sure would be interested seeing and actually

handling it.

There are varying stories that it is one seven

that came from Atlantis, .Maybe that why

I am so interested in it.?

23. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

There are also fake crystal skulls going around. People are trying to make money off of them.

24. BriarRose

Lynette, I think I'm sensing Greenland through the stone. I looked at a google image of a mountain range there, and that is the color and shape I see. I use the stone every night - it's very soothing. I'm finding my fingers are more flexible. They weren't painful, but were not as agile as when I was younger. I notice a difference, but it could be coincidence. I don't mind if healing is from a placebo effect - it sometimes works better than medicine. :rolleyes:

25. shadowsofmypast

Yes there crooks out there.

The one I want see and handle

Is the one in British museum.

I have old crystal skull book .

Very informative.

They say you can see holographic images

within it. Others say it has immense power.

Who knows really for sure.

26. BriarRose

We probably never will, shadows! Something tells me that the British Museum isn't going to let us play with the artifacts. It would be fun, though. :)

Speaking of crystals and rocks, Asian cultures have an excellent understanding of the properties of rocks. One Feng Shui remedy recommends using a large, heavy rock as an anchor for Chi, or to replace missing Chi. I am about to drag a boulder to my "wealth corner". Seriously!

27. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

I actually got to see one of the skulls up close about a year ago. A local metaphysical group had invited a woman who had several. I suspected they were probably fakes, but it was still interesting to see and hear the story about how she acquired them. She did admit she didn't know if they were real or fake.

28. shadowsofmypast

If we ask nicely I am sure they would be willing

lets us play with skull. :D

29. Lynnette

Lynnette New Member

My feeling about rocks is, if the can emit recordable radiation, run batteries and power watches, then why not interact with people and animals, thus emitting an influence upon us?

Surely, if our ancestors over millennia across the globe used the same mineral compositions for similar purposes, there must be some element of truth within it. They certainly had far more knowledge, and sensitivity, about the natural world than we will ever have.

30. shadowsofmypast

www.crystalskulls.com

here you go.

My belief the skulls caused some catastrophe

many thousands years ago.

I think obssesion with crystal skull goes back

when I was young seeing on old Ripley's Believe or not

show. And some show on pbs not quite sure?

I believe in previous life I did hold

that one in British museum has.

It's a real strong feeling.