Pushing me into proverb.

Discussion in 'Reincarnation, Religion and Spirituality' started by Pyrosfuel, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Pyrosfuel

Pyrosfuel Senior Registered

My spiritual journey is takeing me into the direction of opening people up to doing the same. I know how I got to where I am now and the bible certainly didnt get me there.

A good friend and coworker of mine after I told him this has pushed me or nudged me to read through the proverb.
    My personal beliefs on the bible would suggest I'm not very religous, but I could tell you it couldn't be farther from the truth.

I've never felt the presents of god while going to church or reading and following the books teachings. I've only found these profound religous expiriences through self discovery, and and open minded ness through interactions with people.

He is very persistent but I can't find a way to tell him that my spiritual journey doesn't seem to be takeing me in the same direction as the bible. Religous and spiritually I know what I thought to be right and wrong through societies eyes, on my own spiritual journey I'm getting emotions, visions, and thoughts that would certainly contradict these ideas but it all seems natural, as if it was always suppose to be this way.

I really don't want to hurt his feelings but I'm intrigued enough to ask for a second opinion, this is for those who read the bible often. Is the proverb something that would assist or even enlighten me in any way shape or form based on my belief that the bible was written by man who I believe themselves were not enlightened spiritually. It's always seemed to be a book of rules made by close minded people to me!!!

2. BriarRose

BriarRose Senior Registered

There are many enlightening things in the Bible, as there are in all Holy Books. Which proverb are you referring to? There are many. Does your friend mean the Book of Proverbs? It's part of the Old Testament. If you are seeking to be open-minded, you would probably not write off the Bible as a potential source of wisdom. I would say get a Bible, find "Proverbs", and go for it.

3. dking777

dking777 Senior Registered

The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind:
    The structure of the ancient words - were written in a manner that contained melodies. When the language of old was translated into the new - the melody (song) got stripped out.

Many of the spirits who guided me after my NDE gave me the impression that the ancient's were out to touch the heart and soul of the listener - and not the mind. If Bob Dylan would have got up and tried to 'preach' a message like a sermon - the beauty and spiritual essence of the delivery would have been lost. The spirits often told me 'not to read' the bible in English until I had an understanding of the historical language from which it was translated. When people tried to impose their 'Church', 'religion' or bible on me - I would tell them,

"God sings to my heart in other ways."

I don't feel anyone should be 'bullied' into 'hearing' something that is not there for them.

My opinion is - you should follow and be true to your own heart when it comes to your own 'spiritual' path.

Sincerely,

DKing

4. Pyrosfuel

Thank you both I truly am an open minded person and I certainly listen to those I ask for assistance. Based on what I've read I am Definatly going to give it a shot. One if my next steps in my spiritual journey is communication with others, there is Definatly something more to this than I had realized.

My spiritual path is to be a teacher, how can one teach anything if they are not willing to take the extra step to learn?

The proverb in wich my friend was referring to was the Christian bible, and I am certainly learning the power of melodies and words on my own soul. During my journey so far it would be wise of me to listen to the ancient ones, they were much more in-tune with their own spirituality, they were all more brilliant than our common human of today. We couldn't dream of accomplishing there marvels at present times. I hope to see this again in my lifetime and even be apart of creating a monument to the heavens.

This is the right direction for me again thank you both.

5. Pyrosfuel

Is there any way to find the melody song?

6. BriarRose

The language of the King James Bible is very beautiful, but difficult to understand. I've been reading a book by Donald L. Parks, called "Mystery Codes From Ancient Times". He talks about how the meaning of the Bible gets changed with every new translation, and often to conform to current political norms. I've been watching, and re -watching "Shri Rudram: An Ancient Vedic Hymn For Meditation." It can be found on Amazon. It is so beautiful, and comforting, that it ravishes my heart. There is "melody" in all spiritual traditions.

7. Sister Grey

Sister Grey Senior Registered

I was just wondering, what is your criteria for being spiritually enlightened, and why do you feel the authors of the Book of Proverbs were/were not? I know they’re popularly ascribed to Solomon but I thought there was no agreement on that? Anyway, don’t care - I look for anything I can benefit from. I’ve found wisdom in less than salubrious sources while some ‘enlightened’ sources have had huge gaping black holes of shadow sides. I don’t think there’s some invisible line in the sand we suddenly cross and from then on, we’re enlightened and are completely good and godlike, we all have some degree of enlightenment, just not as much as we would sometimes like to believe. I believe Proverbs (as do the teachings of Buddha) have something to say about those who set themselves up as wise being fools. I’d go a step further and say that anyone who promotes himself as spiritually enlightened is likely creepy. Anyway - have fun on your search and whatever you do, don't take it too seriously. :laugh:

8. Pyrosfuel

I can't say I'm completly enlightened yet. But I think rose had it completly right. The bible with each new translation is conforming more and more with politics. This to me is a shame and certainly moveing away from spirituality.

Sister I can truly say the more we think of religion with our heads the further we get from spirituality. The criteria I strongly believe to meet spirituality has to come from the hearts and souls of man,

As far as thinking with our heads we have a strong tendency to over think things. This I have proof of and you have to look no further than a child. Regardless of what we think children are capable of finding their inner strength with far more effectiveness than we have as adults, why? Because they are not bound by the same limitations we put on ourselves! Children are naturally spiritual, because everything is an adventure for them they don't know how to lie to themselves, and they are simply hungry for knowledge and adventure!

When we get older "we have all done this as well so no one is innocent to this" we close ourselves off from this part of our lives, for no more reason than scociety thinks its wrong, and we start telling ourselves that, it may sound strange to comprehend but look no further than your own education. We are all told how to think, we've never been able to test our own abilities! The greatest artists in history were the ones who were not bound by the rules that we place on art today, they never over thought there masterpieces they just created them. This is the basis of my own spiritual journey. To unlearn scoscieties beliefs and find my own true path and unlock what I've put away as a child to uncover my true potential,

I will say however based on what I've read on ther posts in the proverbs there is still more to it than I thought. I have made this determination that the ancient wisdom is still in this book through the proverbs. The ancient ones were just starting out and never held themselves back like we do today! They I believe we're truly enlightened. That's why they've created monuments that we will never be able to replicate in today's society. Absolute marvels, like the sphinx, pyramids that were like calanders, and so on.

No one on earth can truly say that we are even close to something like that, and for the most part I can't say that hardly any one of us are truly spiritually enlightened yet. If there is someone on this planet with the ancient wisdoms I would truly love to meet them! As for right now the closest thing we have to that is our children. :)

9. dking777

In the aftermath of my NDE in 78, I had two spirit guides as constant companions. The wouldn't allow me to read scripture at that time and told me they were giving me the insights I needed for future reference when the time came for me to pick up the book for myself to see what all the fuss was about. They told me it wasn't that the book was written in it's original language with false pretenses. I was told it was the 'translation' process that 'tainted' the original meaning. They would always tell me, "It wasn't written in English. You must study the original language as well as the culture in which it was written to understand the audience and minds of the time it was intended for."

I was so tired of 'fundamentalist' attacking me with 'verses' I had no idea or understanding of.

A decade ago, I felt I was finally given a green light to study the scriptures. The 'computer technology' of today was something the 'spirit guides' had spoken about back in the early 80's. One of the first verses I wanted to track down and understand the meaning of - was the 'fire and brimstone' one that so many 'fundamentalist' use to intimidate others with.

• Revelation 19, "...These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone. "

Today, we take 'light' for granted. We turn on 'lights' to illuminate the darkness in a room. 2000 years ago, how do you think people expressed a 'divine light' that would radiate a glowing effect? Burning bush? Fire? Light? It was given to me to know many years ago that many ancient minds refereed to the 'divine spiritual light' as a fire. Read the testimony of many NDE'ers and a big part of them describe the 'light' like a 'a bright burning sun' as a metaphor to describe the intensity of the 'divine light' when it appears. I had a group of friends witness the 'divine light' coming around the seems of a closed door. They thought the house was on fire. They claimed the sight of this 'divine light' had a purifying effect on their minds and it put them at ease. In Greek, the word "brimstone" had a meaning most in that culture understood.

The Greek version to purify one's mind with a 'divine light and incense' sounds a lot better than the English version so many "hellfire" sermons many like to pass around to one another that makes it sounds like getting thrown into an active volcano. :laugh:

I always suggest to use Strong's Concordance when trying to shift through the ancient language and how it got interpreted into modern lingo.

Sincerely,

DKing

10. Shiftkitty

Shiftkitty Registered User

This might get censored.

Also consider this nit-picking over a word's translation. I heard this from a radio preacher:

According to the bible, homosexuality is an "abomination". However, according to the bible, for Jews to dine with Egyptians is also an "abomination". I don't recall which (Greek, I think) word was used, but he said that in both counts it didn't mean "abomination" in the manner we know it today, as in "something to be condemned at all costs", but rather "something that you shouldn't do, but that isn't going to send you to Hell."

What I found cool about this is that this preacher was not known for being a big fan of the gay community, so you'd think he would stay with the modern definition of "abomination". Instead, he reminded everyone who was listening that humans and our translations are flawed, and we should look to Jesus, who loved the sinners as well as the saints, for our inspiration.

11. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

To get the original meaning you have to get the Aramaic version. Many Aramaic words mean completely different things from what the European Greek and Roman translators were thinking.

12. Shiftkitty

Yeah, I couldn't remember which language he said. He had been talking about many languages, most often Greek, so I'm not sure which language he was talking about with the "abomination" word. Maybe the Greeks mistranslated Aramaic?

13. argonne1918

I think that is true. I know a woman who used to be a Catholic nun. Now after studying Aramaic she gives lectures and teaches classes on how badly the Bible has been translated.

14. Shiftkitty

I'll keep an eye open for those books. Thanks!

15. BriarRose

Thank you for bringing up "Strong's Concordance", dKing. My grand-parents used it almost daily, and I hadn't thought about it in years. I'm actually studying a bit about Bible translations right now, so that helps.

16. Sister Grey

Sister Grey Senior Registered

Indeed, sulphur is a purificant. Life on earth would not have been possible without it, it’s in all living organisms, and has many medical applications. Wounded soldiers were once bathed in sulphur springs. I’ve seen some New Agers who are afraid of it, believing that it attracts evil spirits, so the Biblical imagery is not easy to dispel. Although telling someone to go to hell is more satisfying than telling them to go purify themselves with burning incense. :D

17. argonne1918

Sulfur is also a by-product of oil refining. They have to separate it out. You see large piles of it in oil producing areas. It's then sold and used for different things, including as a soil amendment.

18. Pyrosfuel

I have read some of the proverbs and I can certainly see some of the ancient wisdoms I am Definatly going to continue reading them, I've already learned that it is not wise to follow the paths of those who throw themselves to evil deeds, something I really wasn't aware of considering I've been very focused in my spiritual advancement ill let you guys know of any enlightenments I find along the way :)

19. BriarRose

I had to quote the whole thing, Sister Grey. LOL I seem to remember that before penicillin, infections were treated with Sulpha drugs. I wonder if there's a connection? In any event, I was sipping iced tea when I read your post, and laughed so hard I sprayed it all over my clothes!

20. argonne1918

Yes, there is.

21. dking777

I had many instances after my NDE where others would catch sight of a 'divine spirit' I was trying to give testimony of. This spirit stated 'we would play a game' with it and I was instructed to led various people out to the country and the spirit would 'make an appearance.' This spirit told me to study the reactions of other minds. I thought it was profound because - some would react in love - and others would react in 'fear.' Profound fear, to the point where they would lose control of their 'blatters.' Those who reacted in fear - would complain of a 'rotting egg' spell and associated it with the 'smell of evil.' I mentioned this observation to a college professor and he informed me that the body has the chemical make up and under extreme conditions of fear - the body would produce inner heat and burn up the sulfur at an extreme rate - producing the inward 'smell' to the senses. That explained why 10 people could be together and only the one's who reacted to the 'sighting' in fear would 'smell' the 'sulfer' burning inside of them.

The spirit itself wasn't evil and the fear being produced was from within the individual. Afterwards - the ones who had that smell come to them in the moment associated the scent with evil.

Sincerely,

DKing