• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Reincarnation and Idealism

Does belief in reincarnation mean pursuing purpose or bettering ones/others conditions?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

cloud potato

Senior Registered
Recently I posed the thought that if the belief in reincarnation were more commonplace like a belief in Christ that perhaps people would try to live a more compassionate life. I don't know if that's entirely true. What do you think... ?

Last edited:
Recently I posed the thought that if the belief in reincarnation were more commonplace like a belief in Christ that perhaps people would try to live a more compassionate life. I don't know if that's entirely true. What do you think... ?

I don't see any call for compassion in the idea of reincarnation, whereas in Christianity this call is explicitly repeated all the time.

Whether such a call had any practical effects, remains to be seen.

"The fourth temptation of Jesus" (by W.S.Maugham):

https://brucelouisdodson.wordpress.com/2015/05/14/somerset-maugham/

"Do you remember how Jesus was led into the wilderness and fasted forty days? The when he was a-hungered, the devil came to him and said: If thou be the son of God, command that these stones be made bread. But Jesus resisted the temptation. Then the devil set him upon a pinnacle of the temple and said to him: If thou be the son of God, cast thyself down, for angels had charge of him and would bear him up. But again Jesus resisted. Then the devil took him into a high mountain and showed him the kingdoms of the world and said that he would give them to him if he would fall down and worship him. But Jesus said: Get the hence, Satan."

"....That’s the end of the story according to the good simple Matthew. But it wasn’t. The evil was sly and came to Jesus once more and said: If thou will accept shame and disgrace, scourging and a crown of thorns, and death on the cross thou shall save the human race, for greater love hat no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Jesus fell. The devil laughed till his side ached, for he knew the evil men would commit in the name of their redeemer..."

IMHO.

Best Regards.

With the types of minds and personalities that are so common place these days I am not so sure after all we've all been strapped to the corpse that is the old religions for so long despite their long histories of conflict and bloodshed. I am fairly certain that at least for some this would not only be a breath of much needed fresh air but would set them free on so many levels.

I don't know why this is so religious focused..

I'm going to say my answer is it depends. It depends on the level of maturity the person has.

A younger soul, driven by accomplishment may see reincarnation as a way to continue their enterprise, empire etc in earth. Don't quote me 100% but Edison or Ford said exactly this.

Maybe an older, more altruistic person would see it as an opportunity to help other people

It may also awaken a few people in the middle to the idea that were just all souls on our own journeys. That may lead people to realize others may be suffering as well, in their own ways.

It all depends, in my personal opinion.

Hey Totoro,

Thanks for your reply- if someone like Ford who believed in reincarnation meant making the most out of his life then wouldn't that make the answer to the question yes?

On a separate note-
I wonder if anyone has encountered someone that defies any altruism or spirituality as a type of personal religion- a way to express their own divinity? I might have met a few- so I've changed my answer to no. Whether they believe in reincarnation or not though is another question. Or maybe they are simply younger souls, as you've pointed out Totoro?

Back