Shaping your Future

Discussion in 'Past Life Memories' started by Rob, Nov 22, 2000.

1. Rob

Rob A Very Cool Member!

Some of you have been exposed to so much more philosphy, ancient thought, etc... than I have been. I feel like a child with so much still to learn.

I have a question about shaping our own future. ...shaping our future in this life and in future lives to come.

On a previous thread, Deborah once said something to the effect that "our conscious thoughts at the moment of 'death' determine our path in the next life." (She worded it a lot more beautifully -- sorry if I butchered this thought by paraphrasing.
    We also consider time as we know it to be one whole: past, present and future. I've heard the term "simultaneous time" used in this forum as well.

I am very interested in this topic and wanted to open it up to anyone who has an insight that can expound on this more fully.

This is something I'm interested in comprehending more deeply.

Love,
    Rob

2. pestilpen

pestilpen Senior Registered

Hi Rob,
    the real question is... what is time? I recently saw a program about abductions, and one of them (with lots of witnesses) brought back to Chile an abducted man after a few minutes. Only he now wore a beard and his watch showed four days ahead. These things of non-existence of time and/or multiple alternative worlds really make my head spin as a top!

3. Bob

Bob New Member

Dear Rob and friends,

The answer to your question will look very different if you look at it from the perspective of your soul rather than from the perspective of your personality.

Time is something that human beings created in order to put some degree of order to their understanding of this world. It is not a fundamental truth of creation. It is merely a mental construct. When you go deeply into your soul's wisdom, you will find that time disappears as a way of seeing things. Remember, your soul is eternal. Your soul is beyond time.

As a soul directed healer I have had many experiences of dissolving time. It is definitely possible to go back in time (from the perspective of the personality), heal something with the healing energies of one's soul, and in doing so make significant changes in one's life today. I see this happen again and again - both in healings that go back to past lives as well as in healings that go back to infancy and childhood.

So, the truth of the matter (from the soul's perspective) is that we can and do live simultaneous existences. We are not and never have been limited to just what we experience here on Earth. Personally I believe that humanity is just beginning to discover what we are capable of, because from the perspective of the soul, anything is possible.

Personally I do not agree that our thoughts at the time of "death" determine our path in the next life. I feel that everything we do and feel and think and believe affects everything else. Some moments, such as the moment of transitioning out of one's body, may be of greater importance than others. Yet I have had numerous conversations with deceased people who told me that what they were learning and doing and experiencing after leaving their bodies was having a deep and profound effect on who they are and would have an effect on their next lifetime.
    I believe that it is a great mistake to think that we cease to exist, learn, grow, etc. when we leave the body. We are always gathering experiences whether we have a body or not.

Many blessings,

Bob

------------------
    See the divine in everything, especially yourself

4. Rob

Rob A Very Cool Member!

Thanks pestilpen and Bob,

Yes, I have heard of what pestilpen was talking about concerning individuals who experience different constructs of time during "abductions."

Bob, I don't want to take the discussion away from my question on "time," but I wanted to digress for a moment: When you mentioned how the activities we are involved with between lives effects our future lives, I understand what you are saying. Although I've read many books on reincarnation, the one author that laid it all out in a way I could understand (in a "REINCARNATION FOR DUMMIES" approach)was Dr. Michael Newton.

He talks almost entirely about our life between lives. It made sense of some of the eastern thought I had studied. His books made sense, especially the concept of how souls work in groups throughout our learning experiences in and out of the spirit world, and how entities who are further along in their awareness help us to advance by acting as guides or advisors. This made sense to me and his books had a VERY familiar spirit (like I always knew this, just forgot).

Some of Dr. Newton's critics have said that it would be illogical to find so many "earthy representations" like buildings, libraries, books etc., in the spirit world; but this still makes sense to me because I would imagine that our spiritual existence would reflect our earthly perceptions. Anyhow, what you were referring to reminded me of some of the information presented in his books. (Okay, I've reached the end of my digression)

I too feel that our future is a result of a culmination of our past and present activities and thoughts. I don't know if the quote about "...our thoughts at the moment of death determine our next life" entirely means that this pivotal moment is the ONLY determining factor. I had just NEVER heard this quote before and I wanted to understand more fully what was meant by it.

I started this thread because I have this nagging feeling that there is MORE I can do to shape my present and harness my future (besides just the "reap what you sow" philosophy which I live by) -- maybe I'm just "fishing in the air." But, that quote of Deborah's has been popping up in my mind these past three/four weeks, and it maks me think that there is possibly something else out there that I've never considered. Maybe another tool I'd like to use toward self-empowerment.

Thanks,
    Rob

5. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

HI -- I have no time for this but here I am LOLOL and since you are talking about what I said.
    I posted some of this last time - so here it is again for clarification purposes.

My theory follows my own experiences 'since beliefs are based on 'experiential reality' as well as my research in the Bhagavad-gita, Tibetan Book of the Dead and The Egyptian Book of the Dead.

WHAT WE HOLD IN CONSCIOUSNESS AT THE TIME OF OUR DEATH, WE OURSELVES CREATE IN THE NEXT LIFE.

I have been able to weave together, this premise in my "lives" and have found it to be a personal truth. It also relates to a belief in Tibetan Buddhism.

If my theory is true, then the whole point of this is to be aware, your entire life concerning the condition of your mind/body/spirit and not to hold fear, anger or negativity. It isn't necessarily a last minute evaluation, but a life time one. If we hold onto these "energies/vibrations" -- consciousness recreates it in the next life.

Is it the "truth" for everyone? I don't know - but there are three ancient cultures who thought so.

Love,
    Deborah

6. Bob

Bob New Member

Dear Rob,

I would like to comment on one issue you brought up. Evidently Dr. Newton sees spirit realm as being rather similar to Earth. I hear this perspective fairly often, and I disagree with it.

Over the years I have noticed that spirit beings tend to communicate with us using words, images, symbols, feelings and body sensations that are familiar to us. They realize that human beings have a difficult time perceiving spirit realm as it is, so they translate using what is familar to us.

Personally I belive that this is why so many humans tend to see spirit realm as some sort of extension of Earth or at least as similar to Earth - because that is all most humans are capable of understanding and comprehending.

However, it is possible, in communicating with spirit biengs to go beyond the familiar images and feelings and language. It is possible to see deeper into spirit realm and to begin to see it on its own terms and in its own vibration. When I have had deeper glimpses into spirit realm, I have perceived a realm of existence that is far beyond most human conception and far beyond what we know on this planet.

So, I don't feel that our spiritual existence reflects our human perceptions unless those are the only perceptions we open ourselve to. When we open our perceptions in new ways, we can begin to see/feel/sense an existence that far transcends life on Earth.

The more I delve into my spiritual existence, the more I see Earthly existence as being profoundly bounded by limitations - especially the limitation of our beliefs and our perceptions. And the more I delve into my spiritual existence, the more I see that existence as being one guided by the principle of ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

Many Blessings,

Bob

------------------

7. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Guest

Dear Bob,

Actually, I don't find it at all hard to believe that souls might want to incorporate Earthly imagery in their activities. It could be that this particular act has been stressed in the comunication between Newton and his patients in order to promote understanding between them and us. I never got the impression that Newton was suggesting that Earth and the spirit realm were similiar in form...just that souls, when creating their own "spaces", could and did recreate scenes from Earth. Having something that took on the form of a place on Earth wouldn't necessarily limit it to Earth's boundaries.

Of course, I have also gotten the feeling that Newton was only scratching the surface of what could be done. I've always seen Newton's work as a starting point or a hint at what's there. Like all things paranormal, I don't suspect we're actually suppossed to know for sure what's up there until we're there. I don't jive with *everything* Newton said. I've never been wont to totally agree with anyone who says we can't incarnate as animals, you see.

--Gatekeeper

8. Bob

Bob New Member

Dear Gatekeeper,

First, let me stress that I was not commenting in particular on Michael Newton, as I have not read his books. I was commenting on what Rob had said and on what I have heard many other people say.

Since I am on this roll tonight, I may as well comment on another point that you made and many people make.

You said that we are not supposed to know what's up there until we're there.

None of my spiritual experiences have ever conveyed to me the feeling of spirit realm as being separate from Earth. I don't perceive spirit realm as being "up there". I see/feel/experience it as being within me. So, I don't agree that we can't know spirit realm. We are spirit beings right now. Spirit realm is not separate from us. It is another aspect of us. Maybe it is an aspect of us that remains mostly mysterious, but I don't see it as unknowable.
    I do see spirit realm as being infinite. For this reason I don't believe that the human mind can comprehend all of spirit realm. Our minds are finite, spirit is infinite.
    So, my own personal experience is that the only time I can know spirit realm is right now. I don't believe that we can know everything in spirit realm, but for me that is inspiration to dive deeper now rather than a reason to wait until I leave my body.

Blessings,

Bob

9. pestilpen

pestilpen Senior Registered

Dear friends,
    Allan Kardec stated many levels of existence in our path to illumination, being the physical the 3rd and spiritual the 5th. Of course, all said above is true, since it refers to a certain level of reality where things resemble.
    Since I started researching on instrumental transcommunication, I decided to put aside all my beliefs in order to get freely pieces of the puzzle then try to see part of the picture. Dogmae are sticky, but I'm trying my best! There is a book by Mrs. Shaffer, Bridge Between Here And Beyond (translated roughly from Portuguese), where she shows transphotos with all kinds of Earthly features, buildings, backgrounds and animals, not to mention people. Their voices captured on tape (anyone can do it) tell about their lives and experiences beyond.
    Even if I feel like navigating in the dark (providing I must forget all I've learned) these statements indicates planes very similar to ours. Umbrals before the physical may look like the Hell, but show also some items we have here, then the crust-to-crust, as we saw in Ghost, the realm next to Earth, the "invisible kingdom" where some entities don't know they deceased, as long they have a "physical" body also. The ghost in the subway (Ghost) that was stuck with his material needs is a good example, and also the entities seen by the Sixth Sense kid. Next is the Astral Plane (or Spiritual), where the transphotos came from, with many similarities to our life here. In that plane we study, compare and prepare new lifes (or descents). After that there is the Mental Plane, where shapes are no longer necessary, and bodies look like a brilliant oval.
    All the best,

10. Rob

Rob A Very Cool Member!

Thanks Deborah for taking the time to clarify some of those thoughts. I realize this is a BUSY time of the year. I know that I will understand what you are saying at a deeper level once I am able to read the books you have cited.

In regard to Newton's work, I think that it needs to be put into the context of his sources. (I wasn't there when he collected his iformation, but too much of it makes sense to me, so I personally can't dismmiss it.) I can't dismiss what his clients say about certain activities or situations in the spirit world resembling our earthly experiences. I don't find that hard to believe, either. In the spirit world, if I am in a situation where I am learning, for instance, I may CHOOSE to perceive or design that situation mentally by having it resemble a place or earthly situation where I had fond memories of comfort and learning. He also says that spirits don't HAVE to perceive there surroundings to be like that; they can choose to perceive it in its purest "spiritual reality," entirely disassociated with anything earthly.

Undoubtedly, you have both seen more glimpses into the spirit realm than I have in this life, but I imagine (as a discarnate)that if I choose to construct certain "spiritual realities" to match my earthly experiences, like Greek temples, or classrooms, or libraries, etc... something tells me that I will be free to do so in that environment. While another soul may choose to perceive those SAME situations differently according to their experiences or awareness; I think that "details" may be kind of subjective from individual to individual, while the "function" of a specific reality remains the same. (I don't know if I'm wording this well enought to explain what I'm trying to say. Too much Thanksgiving turkey)

I liked how some of his clients talked about how they could choose to show themselves as the "pure energy" that they truly are, or how they can take on different physical attributes while communicating with certain souls on certain levels if they also choose to do so (while nothing can mask who we really are). I think that I would find pleasure as a discarnate soul in recreating certain earthy surroundings or physical attributes which played an important role in the evolution of my own awareness.

Another thing we can't dismiss is that his clients are definitely humans trying to relate what they are seeing in a non-human environment. Much of what they see can probably not be adequately related without using earthy situations as metaphores or analogies. If they attempted to describe what they see in only "spiritual terms," it would probably be incomprehensible to most of us (or even themselves -- as they are incarnated humans now).

I don't want to open up the proverbial "can of worms" with this next statemnt, but as far of reincarnating into another animal (besides human), I don't think that I would choose to do this even if it was possible. For me, the mental capacity that the human brain has matches pretty well with giving me the experiences that I personally need in my own growth. Being a bird, or a cow, or a dog, might be interesting, but I don't see how it would present an environment that would help me build upon my previous human experiences.

Take Care,
    Rob

11. Rob

Rob A Very Cool Member!

Dear Bob K.
    I just wanted to ask you a couple of questions because of your experiences in helping others find healing through past-life regressions

As you help others to heal by tapping into past-live experiences, have you found any similarities with Newton's work during the period "between" physical lives? When you read his books, did you find the information to conflict with what you have experienced with clients?

I was particularly wondering about his information of "spirit guides," "soul groupings," and "soul colors corresponding to awareness levels" (When I was a small boy I used to see color auras around people. Because of this, Newton's remarks about soul colors was very intriguing.)

I hope you don't mind me asking. I just don't know anyone personally who does this type of work, so I am curious.

Thanks,
    Rob

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 11-23-2000).]

12. Bob

Bob New Member

Dear rob,

I haven't read his books.

What I say is based almost entirely on my own experiences and the experiences of friends who do similar kinds of healing work.

Blessings,

Bob

------------------

13. Rob

Rob A Very Cool Member!

I'm Sorry Bob,

I assume too much. I apologize.

If you ever do get a chance to read Micheal Newton's first book, Journey of Souls, I would be very curious how his experiences relate to your own.

He focuses primarily in delving into the period between each lifetime. He focuses on this period because he says he has found that this interlude gives people a more holistic picture of who we really are as souls, and why we choose the lifetimes we do. I found it very interesting.

Take Care and God Bless,
    Rob

14. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Guest

Dear Rob,

I pretty basically agree. The spirit realm as filtered through our modern human brains is bound to run into interpretation on the part of the meduims. Secondly, I'm sure that souls all have their own realities to a point. This is very true here on Earth so I wouldn't see why it wouldn't also occur after death.

Lastly, I see incarnating as animals as largely being a personal choice. I don't view humans as being all that great and I don't see animals as being "lower". IMOH, the only real difference between humans and animals is that humans have the ability to "create". Anyway, I suspect that there are more lessons to be learned than those that we come across while in human bodies. Since we currently have humans brains I doubt we could figure out precisely how these "animal lessons" would benefit our souls overall, plus humans have a bad habit of seeing animals as being lower creatures. Ultimately, it would appear that most people start as animals and then move on to being humans. I don't mind the idea of looping back, but I've already stated that I think it's a matter of personal preference.

--Gatekeeper

15. Bob

Bob New Member

Dear Rob,

Sicne you were the third person in the past couple fo weeks to suggest Michael Newton to me, I went out and bought his new book Destiny of Souls. I think that I read Journey of Souls some years ago (probably around the time I had my first experience of journeying to the period between this lifetime and my previous lifetime).

Anyway, I just started Destiny of Souls and have already gained some practical info. His descriptions from the perspective of a deceased person of what it is like to contact a living loved one are very useful for me. They jive with what I have learned intuitively, and will definitely help me help grieving peope make deeper contact with their deceased loved ones.

I'll be in touch with you again as I read more of his work.

Blessings,

Bob

------------------

16. Rob

Rob A Very Cool Member!

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Bob,
    I hope that you enjoy Destiny of Souls. I read some of it almost everyday, just to remind me of the way I felt when I read it the first time. I also do the same with Journey of Souls. I DO think that some of Dr. Newton's interpretations of what his clients describe may be a little subjective, but all and all, it truly "awakened" me to the reality and purpose of incarnating.

Peter: I LOVE those thoughts you shared. I'm going to copy and print them so that I can read them through a few more times to appreciate what they are saying. I like that fundamental principle that FAITH begets reality. I interpret that to mean that if I truly want to experience something, I must first express my desire through thought, understand my purpose for desiring what I want to experience (especially identify the value it can have for others), and express my sincerity through faith that the doors will be opened at the right time for my to experience what it is I want to make apart of me.

Having faith is sometimes difficult because personal fear can get in the way. I have meditated and prayed about my own future desires, and what I have received as an anwser (from my own guide) is to TRUST. ...trust that my desires are understood and that the path toward those future experiences is ALREADY being formed in front of me.

Your post reinterated what I was clearly told in my own mind. Thanks,
    Rob

17. Susie

Susie Dreamer-former moderator

Hi Dorie,

As I was reading the posts on time and simultaneous lives in this thread, I knew it was you who had posted at the very end! Isn't that a hoot!? Thank you for bringing this thread to the top! Yes, the parts about the soul not knowing time and living lives all our lives simultaneouly from a soul level was what I was trying say in Rapture/Resuce post!

------------------
    Free will allows me to choose my path, but my Higher Power lights the way....

18. Aaron

Aaron Senior Registered

I've been pondering this aspect of life, shaping my future lately. I wonder sometimes if things that we choose to do now affect us in the next life, even if we have had impressions of future lives.

Would changing my life in the here and now affect where I will go next? What do you all think?

19. tanguerra

tanguerra Moderator Emeritus

Most definitely what we do this life shapes what happens in the next life in my view. I don't adhere to strict rules, such as you must hold the thought clearly in your mind at the moment of death, although I know others do. I don't believe in karma as a very strict cause and effect 'eye for an eye' and all that. I think it is more fluid than that, although I think these things do have influences which stretch into the next life to some extent.

Leaving out esoteric discussions as to the nature of time as experienced in the spirit world, is there any such thing as 'the future' or is it all just the eternal moment etc. etc. the way we experience time in this dimension is linear - so let's keep it simple. Yes, you can build upon what you have learned in the past and develop your skills/understanding/wisdom further in this life help take you to the 'next level' - whatever that might be for you, so why not into the next one? It might be as simple as living without an addiction, it might be saying goodbye to an old sorrow, or putting aside the sword once and for all.

If you have a clear idea what you want to do next life - create world peace, find the cure for cancer, enjoy a quiet life with your beloved - I see no reason why you could not lay the foundations down in this life by performing actions, learning, studying and practising which would put you in a good position.

Now, that said, most people have a tough enough time deciding what they are trying to achieve in this life and I doubt that most people are organised enough to worry too much about the next one while wrapped up in today's problems.

Why do you ask?

20. Aaron

Aaron Senior Registered

I feel that in recent months I have reshaped my future life dramatically. I see new possibilities in dreams. I wonder if other people experience alternate possibilities in their dreams after things change in their life.

21. tanguerra

tanguerra Moderator Emeritus

That sounds intriguing! I have certainly had various flashes forward over the years. I would like to be doing a bit more on a global scale in the next couple of lives - like finding some kind of solution to the problem of war for starters. I know that is a big task and can't be tackled single-handed, but I would love to be involved somehow.

I have had various visions of a reformed version of a body similar to the UN with a much more effective, high-tech, focussed military arm which can be rapidly deployed for instance to put a quick end to outbreaks of fighting in the world. Boy! Would I like to be in charge of such a thing, but for the purposes of peace, naturally. It would take a person of a particular skill set to do that and do it well.

Have you got any particular ideas of what you would like to do in mind?

22. Aaron

Aaron Senior Registered

I am not sure what I want yet. I just see myself sometimes as a youth in my next life. However it seems to be changing.

23. Quintessence

Quintessence No One

Yes, you constantly change your future by the choices you make. The reason for this is because the future is not entirely fixed.

You can choose to either delay or accelerate your own spiritual evolution. Every path is perfect as all paths lead to perfection.

We all ascend.

24. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

An older thread I thought new members might like to read and post thoughts. :cool

25. hydrolad

hydrolad Senior Moderator Super Moderator

Shaping your Future

Good idea, Deborah, resurrecting the post so the newer members can see it (myself included). :)

"Shaping your Future" nicely illustrates something that I have said several times, told to me by an old woman (a neighbour) who was steeped in the ancient arts.

In less enlightened times, this woman would have been called a "Witch" (often with tragic consequences!)

This woman was a fount of knowledge on nearly every facet of the "ancient knowledge", and I carefully guarded our conversations from my family, lest I be forbidden to visit her!

One that I especially remember to this day was a saying she used to say all the time:

"If you want to see what you were like in your past life, then look at this life; and if you want to see what you will be like in your next life, then look at this life!"

And, to this day, this philosophy has pretty much governed my life!