Syncronicity and coming out of the closet

Discussion in 'Past Life Memories' started by Deborah, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

I am curious if others have met people who openly talk about past lives - either strangers, acquaintances or peers:

On my flight home Saturday night from Georgia, I sat next to a woman who was at the College Art Association conference. I never saw her at the conference -but she asked me if I had attended when I sat down. Of course I had, I cringed because I wanted to finish reading Brian Wiess's new book on reincarnation and progression.

I tried to hide the cover from her view -thinking OK she is a university professor ---and I immediately ran for the reincarnation closet. I was able to read a few pages here and there without her noticing.

Then she looked over and tapped the book and said "What's this? I immediately went to the back of the book and pointed to Brian Weiss's credentials and hypnotherapy work. Cringing inside.

She looked at me and said -"Ya know -I did some regression work with a woman in Berkeley years ago. She was a psychologist and ended up writing a book about this stuff.
    In my sessions I remembered the future too.

Well -of course I was taken aback. I asked her who the woman was..she hesitated then said -Oh yes...Helen Wambach Ph.D. I nearly fell out of my seat! She was the author of Reliving Past Lives - The Evidence Under Hypnosis printed in 1978. She is the one that broke the ground work for the rest of us. Well of course we talked about everything we could, her past lives and future lives. Then she went into concentric time and the Mayan Indian calender.

There was a man from India sitting next to me on my left -he kept looking at us and smiling - I could feel his approval. All I could think of at the time - besides the conversation -was how many people DO believe -and DO have experiences and don't talk about it.

My trip was laced with wonderful conversations with Angela and her "case" - research documentation and then the flight home with Maya -yes that was the woman's name.

I felt blessed in so many ways.

2. Deborah

Midterms were last week for my painting students and one student in particular has the art bug - real bad. :D He has both of my painting classes; Mixed Media and Oil Painting -- for six hours total in one day. Nonstop painting for him and he is there everyday.

During the critique other students noticed his affiliation for things from the 1950's - both his subject matter - the found object he chose to paint on and his photographic references. He laughed and said - "I was born in the wrong era - I think I am reincarnated, I really don't fit in here." Other students giggled and nodded in agreement. One student even said -"Have you thought you might have been a woman last time?" - based on his imagery - it was very feminine based. He laughed and said - "YES and it makes it even harder to figure things out."

They talked on and off about past lives for a few minutes and no one was laughing in ridicule - it was more in support for the idea - support for the experiences that some of them seemed to have had. A few of them looked at me; I smiled and said a few supportive things - like "I know of some great reference material if anyone is interested." The topic changed after a few minutes...but later that night I told the young man..."good for you...for talking about the possibilities." :D

Anyone else have a story to share about other people bringing it up and watching a chain reaction of excitement ripple through the immediate area? Curious minds want to know. ;)

3. traveler

traveler Senior Registered

I have heard people refer to past lives in passing, but I'm never sure if they are serious or just making an off-hand statement. Then again, sometimes I think the reason people make these half-joking comments is because they are not sure how others would react if they acted serious about a belief that is unpopular in some circles. Maybe its a way of "testing the waters".

The first time I met someone who spoke openly about a past life was when I was in my late teens. I was out with some friends when another young lady said that she believes her problems with her family relationships began in a previous life. No one laughed, but I didn't say anything since I had never heard anyone speak so openly about reincarnation. In retrospect, I wish I had felt comfortable enough with the subject to talk to her more about it.

4. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

That's awesome, Deborah! Thanks for sharing :D I find it interesting – how many people are actually exploring the possibilities.

I was recently at a wedding – and was seated at the “kid’s table” (teens and 20-somethings). It was kind of difficult to find common ground to speak about at first – but as we got to know each other the conversation became more interesting.

I found out one guy – was a quantum physicist who had just graduated from University. That led into a fascinating discussion – which in turn led into a discussion around the table about reincarnation. No one there laughed either – and they were all very open to it, asking questions and sharing their thoughts. I spoke a bit about my own experiences and shared a little about the forum. One of the guys at the table was a little shy, but very interested in learning more and cornered me for a private chat. He was curious to find out more about past lives and how past affects present and future. ;)

Later that evening I saw an older woman I know who is a friend of the bride – and she started speaking to me about inner Light – which led to a discussion about her past life memories of ancient Egypt, and various other places.

It was definitely an interesting evening!

Aili

5. Sunniva

Sunniva Administrator Emeritus

Wow, what great experiences you all had. So far, unfortunately, I haven't experienced to 'break the ice' with the subject of reincarnation, so to speak.

But it's such a wonderful, warming feeling to read that it does happen :)

6. carldourish

carldourish New Member

Repeating stories

I actual worked with a client this morning using energy therapy, when she stated talking about 'SOUL' destorying feelings. This statement often comes up in conversation when I talk about regression. Or my life's at the end of the tunnel. I'm sure we could think of more direct meanings!

Carl

7. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

I was thinking about this just a little while ago, when in a short time I heard several people making comments about past lives - but like Traveler said, I was never sure if they were for real.

For example: My co-worker and I were in a meeting with a British colleague and I was talking about how much I like Britain. My co-worker said that she does, too, enormously, and that she must've been British in a past life.

I have no idea if she was just saying it, and I didn't feel like asking more questions right there and then. :D

Karoliina

8. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

Does anyone else have a story to share based on Deborah’s original question?

9. Deborah

I have had students mention it - in casual conversation this past year. Others are intrigued, ask questions and even drop a few PL related hints.

10. Koshka

Koshka the great

My family is completely intolerant of any past life related discussion, but interestingly enough- my friends are. Most, anyway. I recently came out to my mother about one of my past lives- and she chalked it up to fantasy. I keep on telling her, but she puts down everything. I think it's a fantasy on her part that a reoccurring,serious theme in my life is a psychological delusion.

One of my friends- a devout roman catholic from a heavily religously conservative family- found an email from a reincarnation listserv I'm on when I let her play with my computer. I was a little mortified and angry that she had seen my email, but when she explained that she believes reincarnation ties into christianity through the eternal life that the bible promises. I was... too shocked to care about her snooping. (I later realized I had left it open, in the middle of the screen- so it wasn't her fault.) We think we were sisters in a past life. We give people a sisterly vibe.

11. Raptor95

Raptor95 member

A co-worker saw me looking at the website and asked me about it. I told him about it and he said he believed in reincarnation. That he felt like any accaintance such me and him, could have been lovers or enemies etc.. He said one of his neice's had a look when she was toddler like she was an old soul. So I told him to look at the website, that he would find very interesting stories and information. He is the only person I have found to have my believes in this. :thumbsup:

12. bluegreen

bluegreen New Member

Hi There!

Hmmm...Go to one of those new age conferences and you will meet plenty of people who are dying to talk about it. Ha! I was involved years ago with Sun Bear and his Medicine wheel conferences. Plenty of talk there for sure but I wasn't into past life stuff back then.

I don't really talk about it unless people ask me about it if they happen to glance at my book shelf. And then I always just ask...Well what do you think? And I listen to their response. I don't volunteer any personal information until I can judge the situation.: angel

Thanks again for this website! Here I can just be without any fear. Helena

13. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

Thanks for joining us Helena. I'm the same way. But I'm amazed at how often the subject comes up.

14. 4mysonK

4mysonK 4mysonK

Yesterday, I was at the chiropracter, and she kept laughing at me. She asked what was up with me because I somehow seemed different. Happy maybe? :laugh: I told her that I'd basically changed religions, but only to make her laugh more. Of course, I clarified that I'd only made 'adjustments' to my beliefs. She kept questioning me, so I finally told her that I think Ian was reincarnated----etc. To my surprise, she went out of the room, then came back with a bottle of water for both of us, closed the door, and took a seat. She wanted to know all about it!

I'm NOT telling my Mom, though. Forget it! I'm very courageous with most things/people, but not her. Otherwise, I'm telling my friends, and my sister completely believes it.

:thumbsup:

15. alaskanlaughter

alaskanlaughter Senior Registered

That's awesome! :thumbsup: There are so many people out there who believe in reincarnation. You never know who you will find.

16. Yellow Roses

Yellow Roses New Member

Remembering the same thing

Some years ago when I was living near L.A. I went to a woman's self-defense class. I was partnered with a woman about my age. We instantly hit it off, I mean instantly. We exchanged phone #'s are were soon good friends. One day a few months later I was over at her house, we were just sitting there casually talking when she said "Don't you remember the Crusades and a refugee orphan girl you saved?" She went on to describe the EXACT, and I mean EXACT scenario that I had dreamed several years before, complete with descriptions of different people, their personalities, the size of the Crusader castle, etc. to the point that we were tripping over each other excitedly describing things.

We had never discussed reincarnation or anything related to it before this.

17. tanguerra

tanguerra Moderator Emeritus

Wow! That's marvellous. I have often wished that would happen for me - that someone I remember would remember too, but they haven't so far. It must feel good.

18. Zengirl

Zengirl New Member

Yes I've had people come to me and ask me questions about everything from angels to pastlives. When I ask them "why" ..I always get; "Because you KNOW". It happens with strangers alot too. Maybe because I'm in California and it seems to be a more open subject here than it would be in the Biblebelt? The most recent one happened at a funeral for a woman I'd never met but I knew her son. A woman who attended the same church as the deceased, began talking to me about the afterlife, pastlives and we hit it off and agreed to meet over coffee and talk some more! There is a flow and a synchronicity to life if you can get out of your own way and just let it happen. :)

The funniest one was my sister asking me to come visit her in another state and telling me we're going to go have 'pastlife regressions'! When I burst out laughing she said "Well I have a coupon...'! oh...then I laughed even harder. :laugh: Of course I went and we did have regressions. I just wanted to get over the motion sickness I have when I fly or ride as a passenger in a car. I was regressed back to the cause but it occurred when I was a child in THIS life and it worked! :thumbsup:

For my sister, she was regressed to her last life before this one. She was an old jewish man who had survived the Holocaust and was living in Israel after the war. His wife had passed away and he lived alone in a small apartment. His final day was spent looking through old photographs of his life. Then he swallowed a bottle of pills and died. In this life my sister is very against taking pills for anything. It was very interesting.

~Zengirl

19. Looking Backwards

Looking Backwards Senior Registered

Hm, interesting.

My family has always known I've had an interest, because even as a young child I was very spiritual, and in my innocence thought nothing of telling other people that I wondered about things like angels and, yes, reincarnation.* But I think only one of them actually takes the idea seriously.

Some of my friends share my views, so I've told them. I even told one of them about this site - something I haven't done otherwise, because it's a very personal thing to me. (That's why I tend to be so vague about the details I give!) But we think her child might have had a PL, so I've referred her to this forum. Nobody else knows I come here, because I'm not sure how they'd react.

* Sadly, isolated incidents made me stop sharing my feelings with people as I grew up and realized not everyone was going to be tolerant of them.

I've had Christian friends tell me they believe it, too. Apparently there's Biblical passages that appear to support it, and I've hard that early Christians believed in it.

20. Tinkerman

Koshka and Looking...there was an excellent thread a few years ago entitled Reincarnation and the Bible. Later, maybe on page 2 of it, a member named Strawberrystar brought up some wonderful thoughts/questions etc regarding how reincarnation meshed with her catholicism and Christianity. This whole thread deals with that and I believe offers some links to other similar threads. This is a big issue to many of us....but as you said (I think) it all fits so perfectly into the whole divine picture.

I'd love to read your thoughts on this subject...perhaps in that other thread, I'll watch for it.

Have a good day! :)

Tinkerman

21. Iseke

Iseke New Member

It has...been very hard not to talk about something as big as this. I always feel as though it's like not being allowed to talk to others about my childhood.

My husband's family is Christian, and while they are extremely open and supportive, it still doesn't quite fit into the way they see the world. I have talked to them (especially my husband) about it, and for the most part they find it interesting even if they can't understand it. The best experience I have had, though, was when my mother in law said "I don't exactly share the same beliefs as you, but it feels like [having known you in a past life] is the best way to describe the feeling. It's like we've seen each other before and now we're back together in family." That was a nice sense of knowing that I am at least a little closer to being able to share this with people.

I do struggle with the "in the closet" feeling. I very much want to talk about reincarnation with anyone I meet and always feel that it'd be uncomfortable for them if I did without knowing how they felt about it. Although, really, it would be worth it to take that chance. My opening up about it may just lead someone to acknowledging their own thoughts and experiences.

22. Truthseeker

Truthseeker Former Moderator

I heard a stat recently that 30% of Catholics believe in reincarnation. That is an amazing number to me.

I don't really bring the subject up much with people I know. Sometimes I might drop a comment here or there to feel how warm or cold someone is on it.

I do have one friend who, as long as I've known him, has had an obsession with The Alamo in San Antonio, Texas and the famous battle that took place there. I once made a comment to him about possibly being at The Alamo in a past life. He told me that he and his wife had wondered that before. As it turns out, he had his first dream of being killed at The Alamo when he was eight years old. This led to a very interesting conversation on past lives. I shared some of my experiences with him. I was suprised that he didn't even seem to have any problem with me being a girl in my last life. When I gave him an idea what I looked like, he told he probably would have been into me. I didn't really know what to say...."Thanks?" My friend basically told me I was hot. :laugh: :cool

It does make you stop and wonder how many people have past life memories and either think it was just a dream or an overactive imagination, or don't tell anyone because they're afraid people will think they're crazy.

23. Rod

Rod Senior Registered

Reactions as the closet door was opened...

Perhaps having some other experience coming out of a closet has helped, but I treat my interest in past lives and knowledge of reincarnation as a part of my personal identity that I would not discuss with a random person for no reason, but would not deny nor withhold either.

My circle of friends, though extremely diverse, tends to be weighted toward the intellectual and scientific. When I have brought up the topic in a reasoned and rational manner, most have been receptive and willing to explore. Even two who are widely known as atheists agreed that reincarnation is likely, explaining that their problem is with "faith" as a basis for belief, rather than evidence. Another two are skeptical but admit that evidence (including my own) exists and reincarnation cannot be eliminated from the realm of possibility.

Several others have had experiences themselves which they had not fully considered in this light, but seem classically reincarnative. My most religious friend, an Orthodox Jew, simply said, "if you have these experiences that seem like past lives, it is probably because these were your past lives," explaining that it is not at all incompatible with Jewish theology and he had some experiences himself.

No one has rejected me, nor expressed any diminished sense of confidence in me or my mental state on the basis of my discussing my past lives. At worst, the most skeptical are simply uninterested, so I don't discuss it with them -- no more than I would discuss; science, foreign relations, politics, philosophy, architecture, or any other topic; with an uninterested person.

The most negative reaction came from a mentally unstable person with a pathological hatred for religion and any spiritual belief. Interestingly, the other two least intelligent responses came from people who fancy themselves as skeptics with a strict adherence to scientific principles. However neither of these persons has any strong grasp of science, neither has any scientific credentials, and neither could accept the possibility that science could consider this question. The actual professional scientists and engineers with whom I have discussed this do understand that certain types of evidence could constitute proof and that, at minimum, more study is justified because of the sheer importance of the questions about life that could be answered.

It is also accurate to say that at least several people who would not have seriously considered the question before (assuming it to the be province of astrologers and fortune-tellers), now take the question seriously because of my experiences and the resources to which I have pointed them.

This is a story that needs to be told in a rational way to those who might be interested.

...Rod

24. Tinkerman

Rod, my experience is very similar to yours. It is a part of who I am. I don't deny it, yet I'm not a walking billboard. I've found that when the subject matter comes up, more people are interested and willing to hear about it than not.

It almost seems to me most people have an innate belief in it, but have never really allowed themselves to understand it...or even look into it. Do you think the theory of the River Lithe (the one that says we enter these lives by crossing a boundary that makes us forget past lives) is as much apart of our soul's psyche as our cumulative multi-life personality. In other words do all of us have some ethereal residue of knowledge that "knows" reincarnation?

Thanks for your post.

Tman

25. Susie

Susie Dreamer-former moderator

I love looking through old threads and finding jewels like this. I have been in and out of the reincarnation closet many times in my life. I try to listen to my intuition around who will listen to me, and who will balk. I know better than to talk to relatives about it. :)

I feel very blessed, because a belief in reincarnation is something that my boyfriend and I share. He recently read a book about author Taylor Caldwell's past life regression and shared that his friend did a regression years ago. With Don, I felt a connection right away, as if I knew him already. I feel we shared past life experiences together. I don't what, where, when, how, but it's there.

26. Lawyer Daggett

Lawyer Daggett New Member

It is amazing how it comes up. Some years ago I consulted a shrink because of a depression problem. She asked me the inevitable question of whether I was suicidal.

I replied that I had thought about it but had discounted it because I believed we were here to learn lessons- and there was no way I was coming back to learn these lessons from scratch.

She was quiet for a minute and I asked her what was wrong. She said that 'you would not believe how many times I have heard that over the last 20 years in practice'

27. Deborah

How many of you - are coming out of the closet. Either by accident (someone else started the conversation) or circumstances opened the door for you?

28. Delonada

Delonada Senior Registered

Having already come out as transgender and bisexual, being upfront to people about my belief in reincarnation is a non-issue. Sure, I get some people who want to argue and "convert" me(see this mostly from atheists though who want to get me to stop believing), but I really don't care.

Often I actually find people who do believe in reincarnation. I mentioned this to my hairdresser once and she started talking about how her little nephew reminded her a lot of a friend she had who died in a car accident. Other people, after I mention this, start to remember little details here and there. The subject does anger some, but usually it is just better to ignore it.

29. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

Rather than use the metaphor of "coming out of the closet", I prefer to equate my own interest in the afterlife with launching a ship, or making a debut. I would also add that I am not ready to make my debut any time soon. For, to do so would be like saying that my ship will float without a single leak. It is not out of fear, but, rather, respect for the field and a sincere wish NOT to discredit it by making erroneous or unfounded statements. After all, I am still but a humble student of navigation within this field of endeavor; and to presume myself ready to launch anything at this point would only serve to provide pseudo skeptics with the material they need to discredit interest in the field.

It is one thing to share my beliefs with everyone here, who, like me are students in the same open classroom discussing various possibilities within the realm of spiritual energy. However, it is quite another thing for us to embark upon the open waters where the enemy lies in wait for any mistake that we may make -- for there is a war going on out there, and we have been loosing valuable ground in some areas because others like us have been naively sailing into those waters with ideas that have not been fully formed and adequately researched.

Belief is a wonderful thing, but it is not enough. Our enemies have declared war on blind faith with some considerable justification, and we are attracting their ire whenever we fail to arm ourselves with the objective armaments at our disposal -- namely, scientific research and documented observations which clearly demonstrate the existence of certain phenomenon.

For me, there is no closet in which I have hidden myself from the rest of the world. But, I am a soldier in training -- a student of life, who is not ready, yet, to do battle with the strong forces who lie in wait.

30. Kristopher

Kristopher Senior Registered

I don't discuss reincarnation with anyone, really (apart from on here obviously). I just know the reaction I will get if I bring it up and it would be a waste of time. I have told my gran about my belief and what the books are about that I read. She just said "Oh that's nice, Kristopher" LOL. When family member, friends or anything like that come into our house, If I have any of my reincarnation books on the table or something, I put them out of sight. I know I should be open to anyone about my belief, but it just seems to save the hassle of explaining it all to them. I also know how mind blowing the subject of reincarnation can be for people as I once thought it was nonsense myself.