The Blitz

Discussion in 'Past Life Memories' started by tanguerra, Jun 8, 2007.

1. tanguerra

tanguerra Moderator Emeritus

I have been piecing together the pottery shards of my WWII life for some time and think I have large parts of it worked out now, so it is maybe time to write it all out in order.

I first had an inkling of this life more than 20 years ago. All I had was one scene. I was leaning up against a wall, on a cold wet night in London, during the war, in a thin dress (low cut of course), smoking a horrible cigarette (ah! The War! Rationing!) and coughing uncontrollably - perhaps I had the flu or something. I knew my name was Carol, I was blonde, quite pudgy and unhealthy, in my mid-30s and a prostitute. I had to be out 'working' and I was feeling very miserable indeed. Now I am pretty sure that was towards the end of that life.

I was born in England, not London, but a smaller city - somewhere up north, like Manchester perhaps. I know I had some kind of provincial accent. To this day I like the Manchester accent, but also sort 'look down on it' for no reason. My father was killed in WWI when I was only a little girl. I don't really remember him, but I remember when he was killed I might have been 6 or 7 or so. I remember being very sad about it but I remember it was an absolute disaster for my mother because we were never wealthy, but now we were very poor indeed. I had a younger brother and sister I think. I was always very, very pretty. I remember preening myself in the mirror and thinking I would be a movie star. I was absolutely enraptured by the movies. I had my dreams of saving the family from poverty, getting away from it all and being a big star.

When I was about 16 I met a man who seemed much older than me - maybe he was in his 30s. He had a thin moustache and wore a sharp suit and had like a panama hat (which looked dead dashing to me at the time) and he said he would get me into show biz - the old story! He took me to London, but before long it was obvious (even to me) that the sort of work he had planned was not on the stage. I remember working in dance halls as a 'taxi dancer' dancing with men for money and probably doing a bit of prostitution on the side - which was sort of glamourous in its own way, at least compared with Manchester and the poverty and living with my depressed mother. At least I had some money and pretty dresses. I probably had some idea that I might turn this into a showbiz career given the right opportunity.

I remember going to Paris on a boat with this man, because Paris between the wars was absolutely booming and there was a lot of money to be made. I don't remember much about that, but I do remember dresses with beading, bars, dance halls, lots of drinking and exhaustion. Looking back it ought to have been terribly exciting, but I probably didn't appreciate it at the time. I remember looking at a woman singing jazz on stage in a beautiful blue dress and thinking whistfully I could never aspire to that sort of glamour. My mother became ill, maybe died, and WWII was coming so I went back to London. I had fallen out with my 'mentor' by this time - he used to beat me and I remember a lot of rows. Now I was on my own, and had given up my dreams of a show biz career.

[Doing the math - I'd have been born about (say) 1910 so when WWII broke out in 1939 I'd have been 29.]

I remember there was a bar in London I used to always hang out in and lots of servicemen of various persuasions - a sea of uniforms. It was a comparatively jolly time, really, despite the war, but I was pretty depressed and very worldly by this time and during the Blitz, I used to just keep working (business was brisk!) and hope that a bomb would come and put an end to it all. I was beginning to lose my looks by this time and drinking heavily - but so was everyone.

Two men stand out in that period, both in the air force. Two were upper crust sort of chaps and I believe I had some idea one of them might marry me (emotions ran high during that time with bombing raids and people not knowing if they were going to live or die any moment - perhaps various wreckless promises were made). One of them got killed (the one I really loved - X) in a bombing raid and I blamed the other because he was the leader of the squadron or something. I had told him to take special care. Perhaps I'd had some kind of premonition? I had some idea he did it out of spite, but probably not. (X has been killed young and tragically in more than one of my lives! Terribly accident prone, (or something!))

I told the survivor I was pregnant and wanted him to marry me but he just offered me money and I never saw him again (of course!). I remembered lying on my bed, crying hysterically over this after a furious row we'd had just before he stormed out throwing money at me.

I ended it all eventually, in the bath tub with a bottle of gin (an old wives method of dealing with such an inconvenient situation). My feeling is that I may have got half way through the bottle of gin and thought 'To hell with it!' and cut my wrists instead.

All terribly sad and sordid really. It took me a long time to come to terms with all that, but I can see aspects of my character in there - mostly aspects I have studiously tried to overcome in this life - weakness, self-pity and so on.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  2. Sunniva

Sunniva Administrator Emeritus

Wow, Tanguerra! Thank you so much for sharing that life here. It was very interesting to read, however tragic and sad.

That is another thing that fascinates me so about reincarnation: you get these 'eyewitnesses' to history and you get all the shades of the society - not just the rich or those in a lucky situation to survive and tell the story themselves.

Your Carol also had a life and a story that would have been forgotten if not you'd been able to remember it. In that way we don't only learn much about ourselves, but also much about the people of the past and pay them respect. Although Carols life wasn't great and she had many sorrows, I hope you feel good that her life wasn't pointless, now that you remember her and now that everyone who reads this thread will know her too.

I hope this made sense : angel

3. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

Thanks for sharing, Tanguerra - very vivid memories. :thumbsup:

And Sunniva, I think your post made a lot of sense. :)

Karoliina

4. Kay

Kay Senior Registered

Hi Tanguerra and thank you for sharing your memories of that life with us. It sounds like it was a sad life and I think it is great that you that you have been able to come to terms and work through most of it.

Kind Regards

Kay

5. vanhalen50one50

vanhalen50one50 Senior Registered

Thank you so much Tanguerra!! It sure does sound like a sad sad life indeed, but I agree with Sunniva about how her life still means something.

VanH.

6. shield

shield Registered User

Thanks, Tanguerra, for sharing Carol´s story. To me, for one, it means a lot hearing it since I seem to have been active in similar times and surroundings only from an opposite perspective, as a german soldier and a guy.

I, too, felt Sunnivas comments went straight to heart.

7. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

A wonderful heart felt account tanguerra. Beautifully expressed, and as Sunniva suggested - right to the heart of the matter. I find it so interesting how many different ways WWI and WWII affected people. Thank you for sharing! :)

8. archival

archival Senior Registered

tanguerra, I have to agree with the others that it is a fantastic insight to a personal experience in history which gives us a fresh perspective! Your acceptance and humor say a great deal about who you are now and how you have dealt with your past experience. :thumbsup:

Do you find that aspects other than self pity and such resurfacing now? Do you believe this to be your most recent PL? (Time being such a funny thing and like others here have suggested... and I tend to believe, perhaps the linear thing is not necessarily the most direct route in evolution).

Do you have any markings suggesting the bathtub ending (as others have suggested with birthmarks)? I have two birthmarks that I have never connected with a PL but have to now wonder about ... a small pronounced one on the back of my head, and one rather large light/blush/discoloration on the right side of my torso.

Despite the turmoil you experienced, it is still a beautiful life you are remembering. Rich in experience, tragic like a wild flower amongst a lawn about to be mown.

I hope that the strength from such a life has passed on to give you a base that not only adds character to you now, but adds insight to the human drama of a simple life (so much more grande than much of any 'historical' figure which is burdened with mythology).

A big huge your direction!

9. tanguerra

Thanks guys. It took me a long time to piece all the bits together. Although there was quite a bit of unhappiness in that life, it was not all bad. There was some fun too from time to time. Looking back at it, it was kind of an exciting time to be alive and young and all during the war. You knew you were alive!

I have remet at least three people from that life and the karma/relationship dynamics are all very interesting. For instance, I remet the man who 'led me astray' in that life again this life when I was about the same age, 17 or so and he was about 35. However, this time he encouraged me to go back to school and finish my education and even picked me up every night after class, even when I was not seeing him any more, just to make sure I finished it. He was a very good influence on me in this life, so we're even.

The one who got killed is now one of my closest friends. The other guy, well, let's just say remembering that life let me understand more of his nature better and sooner than I would have done otherwise. It explained some misgivings I had about him but could not really put my finger on.

No archival, I don't have any scars or anything. I think it was the most recent one, certainly if there was another short one in between that and this I don't remember anything about it.

If anything, understanding about that life helps me in this life, because sometimes if I might be having a bad day or something and feel a bit sorry for myself I always think "Come on! Things could be much worse!". What I have in this life, two lovely children, a secure home of my own and an honest job, for instance (no bombs is good) are things that I could not have aspired to that time, so I appreciate them so much more. I have a much stronger character this life and in some ways remembering, not just that life, but many others has helped me put many aspects of my personality into perspective and see the bigger picture when some upset or other seems serious at the time.

I still like hanging around in bars, flirting, dancing and adore doing a bit of jazz singing, but I can just do it for fun, not for a living, so it's all good.

10. archival

Well said. I think your perspective is inspirational. If reincarnation is about evolution of self, then there must be perspective in regards to past experience. Not knowing you, but reading your thoughts here, I have to say that I think you have a very good perspective. We all need markers of other's passage to aid in our own, (at least that is how I feel), and you do a great job at detailing past with present so that both are relevant and can aid others, such as me.

Glad to hear that you haven't completely left behind all of Carol, but kept the parts that still give you joy.

Thanks for sharing and I look forward to more insights!

11. Sunniva

Sunniva Administrator Emeritus

I love the fact that you met the guy who 'led you astray' back then and that he has helped you to stay on the right path in this life.

That is just karma at its most beautiful, I think :)

12. tanguerra

Yes Sunniva. It is kind of poetic. I did not put two and two together about that until a few years ago, when I realised how very appropriate it all was. I think he has a lot of the things he would have wanted then too, money, respectability, social position. So, it's all good.

One of the funny things is he used to wear this panama hat or maybe it was a fedora, but it was light coloured (back then), but the evening I met him (in this life) I was wearing one (it was the 1970s - I blame Diane Keaton) but he said later that was what caught his attention when our eyes met across a crowded room.

I still write to him now and again, Christmas cards and things.

Archival, it is a very funny thing having all these memories - happy ones, sad ones, violent ones, lovely ones, tragic ones. Sometimes I feel as though I am 10,000 years old. It can make it difficult to relate to 'normal' people when they get all upset about some minor issue - a hair crisis or disagreement or something when you have such a very long perspective! Of course I get upset about things, but really only the 'big' stuff.

13. tanguerra

As I lay on the couch watching day time TV last week coughing and sniffling with the flu, I was overwhelmed with joy that I was in such a warm, safe place where I could just lie about when ill and not have to be running about in the cold, (let alone during the war in winter in the UK, having to make a living doing 'that').

I watched a film 'Swing Shift' from my prone position, which is set in the USA in WWII. There was a character working as a taxi dancer, with some subtle inference that she was a bit of a 'fallen woman' which just confirmed what I recalled, that it happened a lot back then! There were many other themes in the film which were familiar, such as what did women do for money during the war while all men were away, especially if they were not married, or from a wealthy enough family to support them? They really were in a very vulnerable position unless they got work in a munitions factory or other war related work, which of course many did.

I often get a sense of deja vu while listening to the music of the war years and so on. I get a strange sort of double vision when watching a film like that. Yes I watch the film as a piece of entertainment, but I also get reminded of funny little things at the same time. I was casting a very critical eye over the fashions and hairstyles depicted in the film. I was interested in the music, the bands and the dancing they were showing. Obviously the culture in the USA would have been slightly different from the UK, but not that different. They had gone to some trouble to get it historically accurate. The make-up and hair was sort of halfway between then and now. They got the music almost right (but musicians play slightly differently now and singing styles have changed too). The dancing - well, perhaps it was a bit different in the States. The Brits were probably a bit more sedate and formal.

Does anyone else ever get that sort of thing when watching a film from an historical period they are 'familiar' with?

14. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

I certainly do! Often during westerns. Once I was electrified by a battle scene in a movie set in Scotland I think. The movie name escapes me but I know it was simply a man's name.

Tanguerra, this was my first read of your thread and found it fascinating. Thank you for sharing. I too, believe we remember to understand.

15. tanguerra

I know what you mean Tinkerman. I remember the first time I saw Braveheart I thought, "At last! A movie where the battle scenes have an almost realistic amount of blood and guts!". Mel Gibson seems to have a way of doing movie violence in a very realistic way, although it can horrify some people, I know. I wouldn't say I exactly found it thrilling, but I sort of remembered what a strong adrenalin rush fighting can give to those involved. Nothing like the very real possibility of imminent death to wake you up in the morning (a bit like being in the Blitz).

Usually it is all way too choreographed and clean and tidy and just looks silly to me. Men fighting hand-to-hand with sharp implements is a nasty, messy, brutish business and cleaning it up for the movies gives people the wrong messge in my opinion. Silly young men could go to war thinking it is all fun and games, when of course it isn't. How do I know? I just do.

War is absolutely no fun for anyone.

16. Lila P

Lila P Member

Couple of months ago I had a vision of a norman cavalry preparing for a battle. After doing some research, I´ve become more and more convinced that I saw a scene from the Battle of Hastings, 1066.

I really don´t remember seeing a film of this famous event, but the Battle of Hastings has been re-enacted and it can be downloaded from the internet. I´ve watched it, of course. The armours are right, the organization is right, but I have to cope with tanguerra - not enough blood and guts! And what´s really disturbing is that in my vision the men were tough guys- you wouldn´t want to mess with these ones - and in the film everybody looked too nice! Just if they were on a Sunday walk or something!

PS: What a sad life you had. :(

17. Karoliina

Yes, I think films can be great triggers. If I already remember a past life that happened in similar surroundings, it's great fun to watch a film the way you described, and it can also trigger fresh memories.

On the other hand sometimes I realise I've had a certain kind of PL when a film has a huge effect on me - not that I'd take it for granted without validation, though. And sometimes I realise only later, when I have found out about a PL that "oh yeah, of course - that's why those films have always made me feel so strongly!"

Karoliina

18. tanguerra

Several films have made the hair come up on the back of my neck over the years, that's for sure! Thanks Lila P, while the end was certainly sad, there was also quite a lot of fun and excitement along the way. There was a lot of drinking and hanging round in bars though! I often remember various incidents and they seem kind of hazy. It took me a while to work out that I was probably drunk at the time!

The darnedest thing happened yesterday evening. I was balancing on a bar stool in a little bar belonging to a friend of mine as I am somewhat inclined to do, when a woman came in. She looked at me intently.

Later on she came up and spoke to me and said: "I just had to tell you, you look like someone straight out of the 1940s"

(I have grown my hair somewhat lately and have temporarily changed my avatar photo so you can see what she meant. This photo was taken fairly recently and quite accidentally does look like something from that period, by the trick of the lighting and such. My current hairstyle and colour is actually quite similar to how I wore it then, during the war. However, I was just wearing normal contemporary clothes, a pair of black jeans, etc.)

I said, "Funny you should say that..."

Anyway, we got chatting about reincarnation (as you do) and she told me how a psychic had told her she was some kind of dancer in Paris and London during WWII and so on. While she was chatting away I could kind of 'see her'. I saw a fresh faced young girl with curly red hair and freckles in a green dress who I was warning about the perils of getting mixed up with the wrong sort of man! So, perhaps we had met? I certainly got that feeling. I don't think we were great friends or anything, but I did meet a great many people in that life too.

Then the club owner put on a CD of Billy Holiday singing and I had complete deja vu happening! She said, "Oh I just love all the music from that era!" I said "Yes, me too!"

Also, funnily enough, I was with my dear friend X, but he had wandered off to talk to someone else (reincarnation does not interest him much as a topic) and she asked if we were married. I said, "Oh no, we are just good friends, why do you ask?" and she said we just looked "like we had known each other forever".

Funny old world!

19. Karoliina

What a great experience, Tanguerra! :thumbsup:

I have to say when I saw your current avatar first time today, I thought it was an old photograph of some 1940's singer... :)

Karoliina

20. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

Tanguerra, I love the avatar and story that goes with it...I can almost hear you singing Stormy Weather. Perfect.

Isn't it wonderful how things magically fall in to place after we, seemingly, understand past lives. The purpose and direction has such depth.

Thanks for sharing!! Wish we could hear you sing!!

Tman

21. tanguerra

I was singing Stormy Weather when that picture was taken Tinkerman!! [i was singing it about X too as it happens] Synchronicity is a funny thing alright.

22. archival

tanguerra, I have to add that I really like the new avatar as well! Knew it was you the moment I saw it. It reflects your personality here. A friend of mine has a name for it ... Saucy Gainer. Don't ask me what it exactly means, but he tends to use it for someone who sticks out from the crowd with a bit of sauciness and style to them. :D

As for films, the one that effected me the most I already posted about, Ordinary People. But I am very drawn to films, and animation made in the late fifties, early sixties. The color, the clothes, the styles, so forth. I still pick out cloths which reflect this era.

Great experience in the pub!

23. vanhalen50one50

vanhalen50one50 Senior Registered

I love your avatar too! My first thought went to 1800's... I don't know why though. (It does look more '40's) Hmm. I bet you have a wonderful singing voice, reflecting the beauty of your soul.

24. MoonDansyr

MoonDansyr Senior Registered

Tang~

What a life you had!! But it's a very good example of how that life was a stepping stone for your present life!

As for your new pic -- WOW! I thought it *was* a 1940's pic until I read this thread!

I love '40's music, as I play jazz with my 80-year-old father (who was actually *in* WWII).

25. tanguerra

Thanks Moondansyr. Yes, it really wasn't that long ago was it? It's all still in the living memory of some.

Another guy (a waiter actually) said something to me last week too when I was in a jazz club seeing some of my friends playing (as you do). He said "You know I can just see you back in those days...". He said he could imagine me in a sort of 1920s costume, long cigarette holder and so on. Again I was not doing or wearing anything unusual, just listening to the music and minding my own business (not even smoking).

I think a lot of people are more 'psychic' than they think they are.

26. tanguerra

Yes, it can be a bit of a combination of circumstances and personal decisions also fate of course - who you meet, when you meet them. I think there was a sort of silly romanticism in my nature back then (still is) which led me into certain foolishness perhaps, but then again I was far from the only woman ever to have gone down that road, particularly during that period!

I think I was the eldest child and felt a certain imperative to try to do something to help not only myself but the rest of my family out of poverty after my father was killed. There were no boys in the family as far as I know (or there might have been one who died or something).

I don't think it would have suited me to marry some poor but respectable young man and live a poor but respectable life in the country. I had bigger dreams, certainly when I was very young, of being something 'special'. If things had been different, if not for the war, who knows how it might have turned out?

I was a different person then too, much less sure of myself, much too willing to be led by the nose by various men, to try to find someone who would take care of me - but society was like that then too, and everyone was crazy about the movies.

Would I do it over again? No, certainly not. But this life I am fortunate to have had a lot more choices, not least of which was access to education and more employment choices than were available then. Good old women's lib! (Thanks again to that man who picked me up from night school every night this life and insisted I finish it).

As to the drinking - I think everyone, certainly in that millieu, drank very heavily in those days. It was the stress and the worry and craziness of the war and also an occupational hazard - all that hanging around in bars had an inevitable consequence. There were a lot of young people wanting to live it up because they could be dead tomorrow. After all, it was so much part of the culture that the US tried to ban it around that time.

27. MoonDansyr

MoonDansyr Senior Registered

I think a lot of people found themselves in situations they really didn't have much of a choice about in the WWII period and did what they could to make the best of it.

28. tanguerra

[Responding to a post from someone who's since left the forum]

Oh dear. Relationships can be so trying can't they? But, that's a bit of a sad conclusion to come to perhaps? That we all have to learn to look after ourselves?

Yes, self-reliance and self-responsibility are important aspects of a well-rounded person. I certainly take responsibility for my own welfare these days in terms of material matters. But it could equally be said that we learn that we need others to share our lives with - why else do we keep getting back together, life after life? I certainly get by with liberal doses of help from my friends on an emotional level.

Life without my "special friend" (I just don't like that term 'soul mate') running about in it would seem very bleak to me, although I know if and when the time comes I will cope a lot better than I did last time. I would be very sad, but would not give way to despair (I hope) knowing that all such partings are temporary.

I was feeling a bit sorry for myself the last couple of days (it is the middle of an unusually cold winter here, that's my excuse) and I was thinking how I would have laughed myself into an apoplexy in that most recent life to have the so-called "problems" I was upsetting myself about! For instance I was feeling a bit despondent about not seeing my friend for a week or so because he has the flu and I was feeling a bit lonely. (Only the flu! Only a week or so! What joy!). Two days before pay-day and only a few dollars in the bank. (Pay day! Dollars in the bank! Laugh!)

Having this strange gift certainly makes for some interesting insights.

29. tanguerra

On a lighter note, I was lying in bed last night looking at my shoes and various pretty dresses hanging up in the wardrobe which always cheers me up. I have quite a collection, as tango dancing is one of my hobbies (hence the handle) and I was just sort of glowing with pleasure thinking how happy I would have been back then to have all this!

I remember various disputes with other "ladies" over dresses and shoes and things. I got into a fight with one woman one time in Paris (hair pulling, name calling) when she tore my dress (accidentally I think). It was my only good one at the time, so it was a fairly big deal as these things were very expensive. During the war, and even between the wars, it was really hard to get all this stuff. Even keeping it repaired was hard. I don't know if it was just poverty, or because there were no men around doing various trades, or the strange hours I kept, or what, but I remember sitting at the kitchen table back in the day, probably a little tipsy, trying to repair a pair of (white) shoes with various kitchen utensils that I had to hand (a corkscrew and a meat tenderizer) and feeling very sorry for myself indeed.

Looking at my extensive collection of (mostly red I must admit) high heels I felt a gentle glow of satisfaction that goes way beyond even normal Piscean attachment to ones shoes. Funny the little thoughts that seep through now and again.

30. tanguerra

I met a man at a party over the weekend who is absolutely fascinated with the cafe/cabaret scene in Paris between the wars. He is a musician and specialises in that style of music.

He was talking about it to me, describing how gorgeous and wonderful it all was and so on (rather romantically and idealistically in my view) but I was just nodding (possibly smiling somewhat inwardly) saying: "My! How interesting!" and so on. He said "You know, there's something about you. You look as though you would have been right at home there." I said, "Perhaps it's my hairstyle?" he said, "No, there's something else. I can't put my finger on it".

I did not enlighten him. I just smiled. I did not get any feeling that I had known him before, but then again, one met so many people back then. :)