The memories and the Knowing

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Eevee, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Eevee

Eevee Administrator Emeritus Staff Member Super Moderator

I would like to know if other people experience past life memories as I do.

Usually there is first a 'visual memory', that might be an image, or a complete scene. Most often I come to know more about that PL during meditation, dreams, or outside triggers.
    But the most fascinating part I find the 'knowing' of other things that happened in that lifetime, without a visual memory. Like, when you see in your minds eye, or you relive a scene from a PL, and you know all the circumstances that led to that scene, without visualising the whole thing.

It may sound like 'weaving a story around a memory', but it isn't, it is actual knowing or remembering the past in that life.

Any ideas or comments?

2. michaldembinski

michaldembinski Senior Registered

Warsaw, Poland; 52 degrees North, 21 degrees East
    Nice thread, Eevee. It happens in exactly the same way for me. The stories tend to come in dreams; the waking flashbacks are of places, atmospheres of places. The flashbacks do not involve other people, just spirit of place and time. The 'past life people' appear only in dreams, and infrequently; maybe two or three a year. The flashbacks happen two or three times a week.

After observing this for many years, yes, you can start to put a narrative to it all; in the fullness of time, yes, the narrative stands up to scrutiny.

Michal

3. niamh

niamh Senior Registered

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Yes, that Knowing without Seeing happens to me, too. Just like you described, Eevee, there will be a visual memory first, and then more information might come later in a dream, or if I focus on the memory in a relaxed state and ask myself questions about it.

But I really don't know if the "extra" memories are real in my case. Some of them I am pretty sure are accurate. I get that "I just know" feeling about them. Others, I wonder if I just made up.

Eevee (and others), do you get some kind of clue or indication that tells you your non-visual memories are real?

Great topic, I can't wait to read more!
    Niamh.

4. petercalvert

petercalvert Senior Registered

Body confirmations

Hi Eevee,
    I have had a number of specific memories triggered by body sensation or pain at specific sites eg., left side of head or shoulder, right side of back, or other places. They have been injury sites often causing my death then. Accepting them now (that is, during the meditation) relieves present and presumably future pain. Usually imagery comes at the time and may be amplified later, or connections may surface to other memories.

Being hacked at from the front or behind by right-handed assailants has often been the cause. Otherwise run through with different weapons, runover by wagon-wheel while dying on a battlefield littered with corpses, or tortured out of my mind in a dungeon, are all things I have found more or less difficult to remember, but I am glad I have.

It has lent great certainty to an otherwise speculative beliefset, and rid me of much fear and subtle disability. An example: I am much more capable mathematically now than I used to be, as a result of remembering and relieving the fear associated with being knifed for the money I collected as a port tax collector in a small old Mediteranean (I think) port. Now when I do sums, there is no residual fear of dying present to choke my thought processes.

I have met my then wife again, and responded to the urge to take her fish for lunch as I used to then, caught off the pier in the mornings.
    Not surprisingly, I prefer a peaceful life now.

Another issue relates to memory function. Although I was instructed by my father to forget difficult emotions when I was young, an earlier thread contributing to compulsive forgetting during my life now, was belonging to a religious 'cell' in some religious order long ago during a time of persecution, when to 'forget' where the most valuable items under my care were kept, or who else was involved, was helpful, and even necessary so as to protect them. This is probably a generally unrecognised factor in poor memory function in other people's current life as well.

5. dark rosaleen

dark rosaleen Senior Registered

Looking back at it, it seems I have subconscious memory before the visual kind. I'm drawn to something, or know something, and have no clue why. Later, specific memory might come spontaneously--or not... :rolleyes:

6. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

HI Eevee,

As you know - I know exactly what you mean. ;) One of the things I have learned to pay close attention to is this knowing. For example, ten years ago I did a meditation that lead me to my life as Clara in the mid 1800's. One part of the meditation was the journey of life after the Civil War - when my husband and I were headed to Oklahoma. We were "free."

Several times and over the years - Oklahoma would come up and I just knew that this was an important part of my life then. I just knew - that Oklahoma was important but didn't know why. It wasn't until last year when I started doing research regarding that past life that I came across information about Oklahoma. Free land was given to the freed slaves in order to remove some of them from the southern states. We were free...and so was the land. Oklahoma - was indeed an important part of my past life.

That's just one example.

7. Eevee

Thank you all for the replies !

Michal, wow, you have flashbacks so often ! Was a particular PL of yours lived in the same environment you live in now? Or else, do you know what triggers the flashbacks?

Niamh,
    I can't say I already found 'solid' validation of the 'stories' around my visual memories, but often I noticed that I can see some 'leftovers' (mostly not traumatic) in my current life that correspond with the 'knowing' about the PL.
    One example : I had a memory in a dream about being a medieval woman, looking around in a bedroom that wasn't mine, and apparently I was planning to steal something. Suddenly a man came in that I knew was my husband in that life, and he took my out of that bedroom, and back to a room filled with people where a party was going on (We were guests there).
    I KNEW I was a cleptomane in that life,and it brought me in trouble often, and my husband always tried to mend the pieces when people didn't want me around anymore because of my 'illness'.
    Well, now I my present life, I certainly don't steal !!! LOL. But I have this habit, I notice everywhere when people leave valuables or money, ready to take. I often warn them then to take better care of that, and not to leave valuable things somewhere easy to steal ! And I can get really annoyed when they don't take my advice on this ! LOL. I am convinced that this 'noticing things that are ready to grasp' comes from that particular PL.
    Anyway, for me this is some validation for the knowing about the PL.

Peter,

This is interesting ! What do you accept? that the pain belongs to the past and not to the present? Does that relieve present pain? (cfr. my thread about the soldier in the snow, I want to get rid of my problems with walking !)
    I'm al working on this one.

Deborah, ;)

Yes, I agree that it is important. And as you say, it can sometimes take years before we can make the connection, but when it does, it's like an illuminating 'that's it !!!'. :)

Eevee

8. michaldembinski

I've always had the flashbacks; their frequency increased greatly after moving to Poland from London, and then even more so when we moved to our present house (a house built on a plot of land that I selected).

The flashbacks are to Kentucky, Ohio, Virginia, Minnesota; northern Norway, plus post-war West Germany.

The PL flashbacks are few compared to current-life flashbacks, of which I have several a day. Again, I've always had them, and can now easily indentify with great precision the place and time to which they relate. Typically, these will be of London and its environs, and after eight years in Poland, Polish current-life flashbacks are become more regular occurrences.

Over the years, I've become able to weed out those flashbacks that definitely do not belong to the present life. As a child growing up in London's sprawling suburbs, the flashbacks were of rolling green hills and cloudy skies that I identify as Ireland. As a teenager, the location of these flashbacks 'jumped' to America, from which I deduce past life emigration.

Today, my kitchen has become a kind of flashback trigger room for me; standing over the work surfaces, the oaken cabinet doors above me, a view of farm buildings and tall trees from the kitchen windows, brings me a feeling that is instantly familiar and evidently not from this lifetime. Other recurring flashbacks I've had are turning my car off the main road into the drive of my house (in the US - Duluth?), putting my trilby hat on the hatstand as I get in the house; a long, three-story office/factory (aerospace sector?) building surrounded by woods, West German autobahns and convoys of US troops.

I also get rare flashbacks to earlier lives; France, Russia, Germany, mediaeval Merrie England, though far less frequently although intense when they do happen.

How do flashbacks happen for others? A mixture of present and past life? How often? How long do they last (a second that feels like a few minutes for me)? How intense are they? Can you control them (like entering through a door - once in, can you move around at look at things? I can't)? How easily can you identify where and when these flashbacks relate to? Do these fit in with PL dreams in terms of time and place?

The first and indeed only time I ever talked to a 'medium' or 'channeller' (or whatever) - and this was 25 years ago - he staggered me with his vision of my past life indeed being of a child born in Ireland, moving to the USA, taking part in the Pacific War as an airman, although he suggested that I died during the war. I know I didn't die but served on after the war with the USAF in Western Europe, and died in the States shortly before my current life began.

Michal

9. Artzab

Artzab AS2

My recall of my past life has been somewhat like that. Not many memories, like I don't see my past life in my dreams or anything like that. I have personality similarities, I remember a name of a person I knew or might have known in my past life and phobias. I never visualized anything, but when I was around nine years old I felt this pain in my chest and fell to the floor. I don't have any medical problems, so I don't think it could have been that. So, I think it may possibly have been past-life related. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who doesn't visualize their past life in dreams or meditation.

10. Phoenix

Phoenix Forgot to play nice

That's how most of my memories are, I call it "the Knowing", too...

It's usually of the "no, that's not how it was, it was thus and such..." type. Impossible to verify, because recorded history isn't always accurate, particularly as they tend to draw on post-war interviews, and they speculate a great deal. I have thus far gotten one of my "Knowings" verified.

When I got back together with some old friends of mine recently, I was telling one of them that I knew that our boss had a car that looked like a normal car, except that it had a third axle right in front of the rear one. I didn't remember it visually, I just knew that it existed. She didn't remember anything like that, and I'd never found any pictures where you could see a third axle, just a post on a history forum mentioning it and looking for a picture.

Just the other day, in a bookstore, they had a book of "rare pictures" of the period, and sure enough, there he was, standing up in a car with one axle in the front, and two axles clearly visible in the rear.

11. michaldembinski

Y'mean like this?

https://www.intoautos.com/image?q=o...chn=10&s_pt=aolsem&s_gl=US&s_dto=d&v_t=aolsem

Michal

12. Phoenix

13. rowan8

rowan8 Senior Registered

Eevee,

Personally, I do get the flashes of images, but the knowing is the most significant part of the whole process to me, and what I mostly rely on when trying to discover PL's.

My two most vivid PL images -outside of dreams-, are these:

I see two little kids holding hands in the snow. By the look of them they are very poor. That's all I see. But I KNOW that I am the girl in the image, that the little boy is my brother, that we are hungry and soooo so cold,that we have been begging for money or food, and that we will die soon. My brother will die first.

The other image lasted a couple of seconds, and came to me through meditation: I see a woman flip her hair and turn her head to face me. Her eyes latch onto mine. She wears a purple bouse, many bracelets and beads, her earrings are gorgeous, and so is her hair. By the way she looks at me, she's trying to seduce me.
    That's what I see, but I KNOW that I'm a man, that I'm grown, not yet 40, that I'm attracted to her, but I don't trust her, and that she is a gypsy,and we are in a gypsy camp.

To me this 'knowing' is the most important part.

14. norabrindle

norabrindle Senior Registered

The memories and the knowing

My memory flashes were what I thought were premonitions, almost visions of what happened to me during WWII. They are so clear that I can hear my child screaming. Usually something that I see, like something on tv or even a picture of a place where I have never been trigger the visions. And it's really strange. In April I became very ill from a cat scratch that became infected. I ran a high fever for a couple of days and during that time I was kind of delirious. Strangely enough, a lot of the delusion was memory flashes. I "saw" me when I was a very little girl in this life telling my parents about where I lived before and when I died. It made those memories come back to me so clear that I can still smell the scents in the old house where we lived. I also "saw" myself in the house where the German soldiers came and took my family. I saw myself looking into an old mirror on the back of a rickety dresser. A lot of the silver on the back of the glass had gotten dark and splotched around the edges of the mirror, and the reflection was grainy. I was a tall thin woman with a plain brown dress on. It had a high neck and a full skirt. My hair was kind of natural curly and thick. It was dark blond. It was braided and drawn up into a bun on the back of my head. There was kind of frizz all around my hair like it was damp outside. My face was rectangular shaped and my nose was long. My eyes were green. My complexion was very pale. I had a long neck and held my chin high. I was very solumn as I looked at myself in that mirror. That memory is so clear that it gives me chills. Most of the time now though, I have a memory flash or impression that I just know because of something that I see or hear. I have kind of a sensation of falling when that happens.

15. Eevee

Wonderful replies !!!

It is sort of confirmation for me for my own memories, to know that many people experience the 'knowing' and find it a very important part of 'remembering'.
    And something else I could read here, that also happens when I get PL memories: how much detail of ordinary things people notice during their flashbacks ! Like 'freezing the frame' (I think there exists an other thread here about that) to absorb all those details. Fascinating !

Eevee

16. Lights

Lights Lights

Oh wow! So I am not the only one? Yes quite often there will be a flash and there is no problem as I already seem to know what has led up to it...no confusion at all~

This "knowing" yes it does go with the remembering. I read a reference to the Royal Navy and Dunkirk and I "knew" exactly what my reaction was and felt even the emotion with it all over again. Two weeks later I found a written reference to it and it came out just as I said. When I find the email I sent to a friend, I will post it here since the whole thing played out exactly--and I do mean exactly--as I thought it did.

17. darla

darla Senior Registered

Yes, I have these flashbacks also. I have not ever done any regression therapy or anything..just starting at this. But of course these flashbasks are what has led me to this place and point in time. I haven't really put alot of experiences together yet of my past lives, either. I'm just scratching the surface. Looking forward to it.

Also I might add that geneology research has shown me how time goes by so fast and how many lives we must have lived to get to this point. I can go back as far as 1099 in England on my Grandmother's side. seems it wasn't so long ago...

18. Lights

Lights Lights

1099?! :cool I know my family name in both my current and most recent lives, my name goes back to about the 1100's. No when I think back over the lifetimes of which I have a few memories, it doesn't seem long at all.

19. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

This happens to me quite often, but it's difficult to trust this kind of information without further validations.

Sometimes this kind of knowing has been validated by a regression and things seen during it, but stronger cases have been validations by other people who were there, too. For example while we were exploring a mutual PL with a good friend (Ailish, actually ;) ), first she found out I had had a baby boy called Joshua (she was my daughter then), but giving birth two times didn't feel right to me and I wondered if I had had a miscarriage and just had a name for the baby ready. But then one evening when I was brushing my teeth it suddenly hit me that I had had twins (when I had Ailish - she was called Jessica then) and Joshua died soon after birth. And this happened without any visual flash.

Later Aili's meditation experience validated this sudden "knowing without seeing".

Karoliina

20. tiltjlp

tiltjlp A Recycled Soul

Thanks for starting this thread Eevee. I've always been gun-shy because probably 95% of my PL memories, as well as my personal and spiritual growth come by Knowing. While I knew all this was factual and valid for me, up till I found CPL I seldom discussed any of it, not even with my best friend.

My only technique is meditation, which I've done for over 50 years. Through my meditations, I have received dreams and Imprintings, but more often it's as if my soul simply reveals knowledge to my consciousness. This Revealing takes two forms, a validating knowing, like you mentioned, and Enlightenment, where I experience either personal or spiritual growth or healing. This has shown me that there are many ways to connect with our souls and PL, many paths to spiritual growth.

John

21. caterpillar

caterpillar New Member

My first memories came to me in dreams. In the dreams, I would get a very brief, but very informative, idea of who and where I was. The dreams are hard to explain, but they had this almost "3-D" quality about them, and a cohesiveness that most of my other nonsense dreams don't have. It was literally like being there, and I remember what I was feeling and thinking at those particular moments.

I would love to able to expand on these snippets, though. I feel that for the most part, I don't really know anything about who I was or what issues I faced in those lifetimes except for those snapshots. I would love to know HOW events unfolded that found me in those dream scenarios. I would also like to know about the other people in my life, and who those people are in my present life (if indeed they are even in my present life).

22. vicky

vicky Senior Member

Hi caterpillar,
    My memories have come the same way-in dreams but I never really seem to believe I'm asleep.

Welcome to the forum. Would you like to share some of your dreams?

23. jackh

jackh Senior Registered

Welcome caterpillar. If you peruse the regression section you will find a lot of different ways to get back into those memories. It can take practice and patience though but the rewards are great.

Jack

24. caterpillar

caterpillar New Member

Hi Vicky,

The first dream I had was back when I was a teenager, and I didn't realize until much later that it was even a past life dream. That one was where I was a French girl during the Middle Ages, and I was a teenager in that dream, too. I was in a very dimly lit room with two men (I believe one was a relative and the other a doctor) who ordered me to lie down on a table because they knew I was pregnant and wanted to give me an abortion. I refused, so one of them forced me to lie down, and the doctor did what he had been paid to do. I remember waking up feeling the pain from the procedure, which was all the more unusual for me since I'm a male in this lifetime :eek:

The other one was much more recently, and in that dream I was a Roman gladiator. I remember feeling very unsettled in the dream; I was to fight that afternoon, and I had a very foreboding feeling that I was going to lose.

Jack,

I think the biggest reason I have trouble with getting more detail is because my memories have come from dreams, and when I actually try to access memories, I allow my intellect to get in the way and judge everything that I conjure up. I just need to teach my mind to back off, I think. But I will check out that section, too. All the tips and tricks I can get help!

25. Phoenix

Knowing vs Visual Memories

Eevee said:
    It's like when someone starts to tell you a joke you've heard before. At some point, you think, I KNOW this joke, I've heard it before.

Although it is possible that this will trigger a flashback of the last person who told you the joke, but more likely, you will KNOW where you heard it, who told you, and/or the punch line.

Phoenix

26. jrock_uriel

jrock_uriel Old Soul from Long Ago

I remember my memories the same way. :) I've never had a professional session of regression or such, all I've learned is just from dreams, visions and flases of memories that are triggered by events in this life. And boy, I have so many memories!

27. amichael11

amichael11 New Member

What happened to me seems to be similar in some ways to what I'm reading on this forum. But yet it's different. I did get to experience a snippet of a past life. But it was with help from what I think are called guides. Over a period of about a year they showed me how that life blends into this one and explained why I was given the information and how I was to help someone from that life, who is here now, resolve some problems they were having that had to do with that life. Gets complicated.

When that was done, we then had to fix our stuff we had between each other here so that it wouldn't get in the way in our next life. Sometimes I was taken to places OBE and sometimes more like in my mind. Hard to explain and to understand.

The experience was great. I know I didn't do it by myself through meditation because as hard as I try now I can not recreate anything like it. Meditating on my own, relaxes me and I usually fall asleep. Yet the other times when I felt the presence of guides I learned and experienced some really nice stuff.

I wish I could be more like so many of you and redo it.

Here's something I haven't seen mentioned by anyone. The room in which I was in when the OB E's occurred had a computer in it. After my first experience the hard drive on the computer was completely wiped out. Everything had been erased. The next time I had the feeling that an OBE was going to take place I asked if the computer could be protected. When I checked the computer the hard drive was back to normal and it never was wiped out with subsequent OB E's.

Wondering if it's happened to any one else.

28. Iseke

Iseke New Member

More than a year since the last reply. :)

Anyway...wow. I really started my path of past life exploration because of these feelings of Knowing. Most of my experiences have taken place while I'm awake, and often when I least expect it. Something unusual for my normal life will happen and it will trigger feelings. I seem to remember the way things looked and felt in previous lifetimes, and these images I guess were just sort of in my waking mind. Never any dates or specific information--just mundane little events or strong emotions. I am trying to access information through my dreams, but for the most part, most of my feelings have just been waking life Knowing. As of yet, none of them have been validated.

I have had readings done of a few past lives. These held emotional significance for me, but knowing about them from a neutral source is only one step to understanding these lives personally. It gives me a starting point for where to look in my history.

Recently, I also had an upsetting dream that at the time I thought was just a dream. Then one night I had a feeling that the dream may have been about myself. It was the first dream I've had that I consciously suspect of being a PL one. I am hoping that this means I'm able to retrieve more information through my dreams.

People have mentioned that it is hard to trust oneself when all they really have is Knowing, because somehow it feels "less objective" than a regression or a powerful dream or meditative insight or something. For me, these Knowing feelings have always come when I was awake and not in a meditative state at all. I think it's because aspects of my life mirror the ones in the lives I'm picking up, and it's the emotions I'm remembering (that sometimes give way to images).

Anyway--this is all very exciting, especially to know that other people access PL information this way! I'm looking forward to exploring these feelings in greater detail.

29. Truthseeker

Truthseeker Former Moderator

This the first time I've seen this thread, and I'm relieved that I'm not the only one. :thumbsup:

That's how it usually goes for me as well. I'll have one of those "Ah-ha" moments when I least expect it.

Usually how it goes for me is it will start as a visualization. I will 'see' the scene. Then, later on, the details will start coming to me. I just 'know' that's what happened. This makes me nervous, because I'm afraid my mind is just conveniently filling in the details, but some of my best validations have come from my 'knowing' without 'seeing.'

It's kind of like springing a leak and having water trickling out. The visualization springs the leak in my subconscious and the memories start to trickle out. Current life memories work the same way for me. Something that happened years ago that I had long-since forgotten about will get brought up. After it's been brought to my awareness, the details will start coming back to me. You don't have to visualize it, you just know. No one ever question the validity of current life memories, though :rolleyes:

30. Jody

Jody Senior Registered

I've had more than one dream with one of my past life selves in it. But I don't think they were "remembering" dreams as much as "trying to make sense of my current life", "looking to the future" dreams. In one I was at the helm of a ship as a character I recognized being in a past life, and I was changing direction. To me that clearly meant I was about to drastically change direction in my life, which it turned out I was. I once had a very healing dream and it was only after I woke up that I recognized the main character was one of my past lives, though I'm sure it wasn't a memory, it was more of an allegory type of dream. I wrote it down, and it remains one of the best short stories I've ever written.

Then in another dream I actually met a possible past life persona who has been haunting me for the past 3 years ... John Paul Jones, who it turned out I liked very much. We were on the upper deck and he was teaching me how to sail. We were surrounded by ships from all different eras. Believe it or not, this also turned out to be not only an allegorical dream, but a prophetic one as well. Only a week or so later I was on the Golden Gate Bridge watching the annual Tall Ship Parade, and the scene looked just like what I'd seen from the vantage point of the deck of Paul Jones's ship.