The Rolling of Souls

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Deborah, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

I am currently reading a very good book titled:

Does The Soul Survive? A Jewish Journey to Belief in Afterlife, Past lives and Living with Purpose - by Rabbi Elie Kaplan Spitz.

In it he talks about the seven steps a soul takes from death to rebirth. One step in particular caught my attention. In Judaism the Hebrew word for reincarnation is gilgulei neshamot which means " the rolling of souls" (from body to body). The preparation for rebirth is step seven and it contains an interesting reference to why we forget from life time to life time.

There is a medieval text that makes reference to the "creation of the embryo." An angel takes the soul through a life time review before birth and then brings the soul to the womb of its new mother.

The Tibetan Book of the Dead is referenced and Jewish prophets and mystics have written about the similarities. I am particularly interested in the forgetting aspect as noted above. The Gnostic's spoke of the waters of forgetfulness before birth. The text also talks about at the time of death when the soul leaves the body it enters the River of Light.

I will share more tomorrow because I really enjoy comparing ancient religious texts and the common thread that runs through them.

I am interested if any of our members are Jewish or have studied Jewish texts. Particularly those that talk about past lives and the process.

2. Eevee

Eevee Administrator Emeritus Staff Member Super Moderator

The ancient Greeks called the river of forgetfulness Lethe.

Here is the Wikipedia link.

3. Deborah

Has anyone else read this book? I am almost done with it and will comment more when I am. :cool

4. AJones

AJones New Member

The problem of forgetting past lives, is that there is some mechanism at work preventing past life memories, yet it is breaking down in some cases, hence children are remembering past lives.

If there are really angels at work, they are being inefficient and careless, since people are coming into the world with past life memories.

That mechanism I mentioned is a question I am trying to answer through ongoing research.

5. Deborah

Hi AJones,

I want to share my thoughts on your point here:

Having memories is a gift as I see it, albeit painful and sometimes confusing; to remember is to bring to the surface, cleanse trauma, guilt, or negative feelings and create with intent in your current life and future.

I have some more things to share from this author, a little later today. I am enjoying his book. A unique perspective.

6. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

Hello AJones, I agree with Deb on this point. I believe there is no such thing as mistakes or coincidences in that next level or place of the soul. Everything has a purpose. If the veil of forgetfulness is being lifted then it is for a grand purpose. I was told by a holy-man that past life memories are truly a blessing, but come with as many sorrows as joys.

Sounds like an interesting book Deb, I might just watch for it.

Tman

7. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

When considering the vagaries of one's memory, I am reminded of instances within this present lifetime in which abrupt changes in lifestyle caused my memories of some past events to completely vanish. I've gone from being well-known in certain circles and locations, then moving and changing lifestyle, then returning again to being recognized by what seemed to be now complete strangers. Many of us must have experienced abrupt changes in our lives, whereupon we were unable to remember things from our previous situation.

I think the same is true to a degree for new lifetimes. Perhaps some children remember, because their previous lifetime was such an anchor for them that they couldn't adjust or adapt to the new one. That's when we notice them saying things that don't jibe with their present life.

I can't say that I really understand how it works that some people continually recollect things from past lives, while the rest of us can't. But,I don't think it has anything to do with angels or other spirits. I think it's more a matter of what drives us individually, and what projects we have set aside for ourselves. For some of us, knowing the answers ahead of time would be like cheating. For others, perhaps, receiving glimpses of past lives is a necessary means of finding our purpose in this life.

Other times, I believe, that having insight helps others to find us when they need our help; for some of us are not only here to learn, but also to teach. So, there is no single rhyme or reason that applies to all of us. Rather, memories or the lack thereof serve each of us in different ways and for different reasons.

8. dking777

dking777 Senior Registered

When I was a child - this concept came up in reference to many of my own expressions. My family was not Jewish - but they must have had access to the myth - because I was told about the 'angel' who caused the indention below the nose. (Philtrum)

I was talking about the 'angel' who was constantly coming and 'shushing' me - to make me forget the things I once knew. My Grandfather had knowledge of the Jewish myth and said that the 'angel' of forgetfulness must have had a hard time with my 'stubborn' mind because I wasn't forgetting the 'knowledge' I had access to prior to being born. (Including those of past life memories.)

I do have a memory of two of the 'shushing' incidents. One was at the age of four when I was speaking about a past life I had memory of. I was talking to my Mom at the time and when the 'spirit' showed up to put it's finger to it's lips to shush me - I was trying to get my Mom to tell me who that person was. My parents and older family members recalled that incident for many years to come. Part of the reason they too tried to silence me from talking about my memories of a past life.

The second time (I can recall now) was about the future. I was shown things about the future but was told not to talk about it out loud. I went to talk about it and this 'angel' showed up and 'shushed' me by putting her finger to her lips. (The Soul of Man by Louis Ginzberg)

My Grandfather felt that my 'angel' had it wrong and had to do it like the legend and myth told it - and put their finger on my lips to keep my mouth from talking about the 'spiritual knowledge' I had sight of from time to time.

My parents and family felt I was defying the natural order of things and being rebellious against authority by recalling something most people didn't have access to due to forgetfulness.

So - growing up as a child - I was introduced to the concept of the Angel Laila.

DK

9. hydrolad

hydrolad Senior Moderator Super Moderator

I too can remember this myth as a young child growing up, as it was told to me by my Grand-Mother, who even though she was Methodist, possessed an eclectic mixture of knowledge and sayings that she shared with me from time to time.

Sad to say that Reincarnation and Past Lives (PL's) were NOT discussed in my household (because of her religious teachings) perhaps I would not have been so insanely curious about reading every book I could find on Reincarnation (what a quest that was)!

This was a Southern woman (born of Confederate era parents) who was steeped in sorrows in this lifetime, having lost a beloved stepson, then a husband, then forced to raise a child, as a widow during the great Depression, only much later on to assist with raising two Grand-Sons in her older years.

What a set of circumstances she picked in that lifetime, I just hope her next lifetime is (or was) kinder!

10. RemainingSpirit

RemainingSpirit Remaining Spirit

The "angel of forgetfulness" had a very hard time with my determined mind! I have to say I think many times the angel is right to shush us. We need to learn new things in this lifetime without trying to repeat the past. I didn't remember anything clearly until I had already pretty much determined who I was this lifetime.

11. Deborah

Carol wrote about the "angel of forgetfulness" in her second book - Return from Heaven. :D

12. Cryscat

Cryscat Senior Member

Deb

I've got this book "on order" from my library. Will let you know what I think of it, when I get it and get it read!

13. Totoro

Totoro Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

there's an interesting phenomena with children too that around age 2-4 they seem to forget all but language and a few other things from before that age.

for instance, my son could easily go to a book shelf and pick up his favorite book by recognizing the cover and ask for the same movie to watch, but by age 4-5 he had forgotten having ever have done any of that.

Most accounts of past life recall also occur before this age range too. I wonder if there isn't some pre-designed overlap or forgetting that's going on.

14. tiltjlp

tiltjlp A Recycled Soul

The book sounded so interesting, I just found a used copy at a great price on Amazon. Thanks for mentioning it.

15. Cryscat

Cryscat Senior Member

Just got a notice from my library that the book is in. I will be picking it up on Tuesday.

16. Cryscat

Cryscat Senior Member

great book. Loved how he went through the history of resurrection and reincarnation in Judaism. How resurrection is tied to the belief that body and soul are one and reincarnation has body and soul separate.

17. Deborah

I never finished it, moved and now have to find it. LOLOLO forgetful me. :angel: