• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Through a glass darkly

Are you a warrior soul or were you involved in war by circumstance?

• Warrior soul

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Circumstance

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters

Jim78

Probationary
I find this forum to be a great thing in my life.

Lately I've been particularly thinking about all the reflections on war that have come from other members. Many have given me great insight and reaffirmed my own past life memories because I can relate to what other soldiers have said.

Its been a great support and I thank everyone for that.

Yet I realised that these reflections have been spread over many topics in this forum. There's no one place where they can be found.

I was just wondering what everyone who has been a soldier or a warrior in a past ( or current ) life actually thinks about war?

What lessons have you learned from it?

How has the experiences changed you?

Do you feel that you have a warrior spirit or were you there merely by circumstance?

I'm interested in hearing the replies. I've personally found great healing in sharing with others. I feel happy that I'm not alone too.

Warrior without War

I think you forgot options.
I am a warrior without a war.
I just don’t like war but my mind could do it all, the fighting, the strategics, the killings.

Just don’t want to do it. As a child I was once attacked by a bully: two seconds and he lay on the floor and I was still standing. My hands hadn’t touched him as I had blocked his attack with my right leg and a special move. It was a reflex. I must have been 8 years old.

Later in life, there have been more intentions to assault me but I stay deadly calm and they backed down. They don’t dare. And they are right. I am fearless and if I would be provoked I would fight till death. No matter what.
I trust myself, don’t need training. Anything can be a weapon and the best of all: surprise (and full blow on the vital or weak parts). Sorry!

But I don’t want this. And I don’t idolize the mentality.

I find this forum to be a great thing in my life.

Lately I've been particularly thinking about all the reflections on war that have come from other members. Many have given me great insight and reaffirmed my own past life memories because I can relate to what other soldiers have said.

Its been a great support and I thank everyone for that.

Yet I realised that these reflections have been spread over many topics in this forum. There's no one place where they can be found.

I was just wondering what everyone who has been a soldier or a warrior in a past ( or current ) life actually thinks about war?

What lessons have you learned from it?

How has the experiences changed you?

Do you feel that you have a warrior spirit or were you there merely by circumstance?

I'm interested in hearing the replies. I've personally found great healing in sharing with others. I feel happy that I'm not alone too.

Jim, it will be interesting to hear what other soldiers think, and it's a good idea to start this thread.

I only have one PL that I'm certain of, so there's not a lot to compare it with. But I've put 'warrior soul' rather than circumstance, because in my PL I had chosen to be a career soldier rather than having it forced on me.

What do I think about war? I think it's a complete waste of young lives, for a start, whole generations disappearing, frequently for nothing. We destroy everything, we build it up again, we destroy it again, ad nauseam. I am anti-violence, anti-war. Having said that, it's clear that given human nature, wars continue to be inevitable and in some cases, necessary. But personally I would want nothing to do with them, even if I was young enough to fight. I would find other ways of making myself useful for a cause. After all I experienced in WW2, I shall not take up arms again.

What lessons have I learned from it? Personally, I'm not sure if there are any for me. I suppose I've learned that many things can be achieved by diplomacy rather than aggression, but most of my 'lesson' is realising the utter futility of such wars.

How has it changed me? That's difficult to say. None of us knows how we would have been had we not been fighting soldiers. I'd say only that it's given me an insight into the pointlessness of fighting, when so many of your enemies are little different from yourself. But then, I've always been too idealistic, I'm told.

I find it hard to classify myself in either category, but probably am leaning more towards the first category. The reason behind that is that sometimes the circumstances create the warrior drive, at least that has been my experience. What creates the urge to fight in the first place? At least my experience, it was because I was a victim of certain circumstances, which then created the urge in me to no longer be the victim. Also, the need for justice was involved in that fighting urge. This was something subconscious, and something that happened over several lifetimes. The rest I wont lie, it was about having an adventure and not being stuck in a boring desk job. Is that equally part of the 'warrior spirit'? I still find it hard to stay in jobs I don't enjoy, and the longest job I've ever held is where I've been self-employed.

Like tanker I was a career officer, went to war because it was my duty, and my job. I can say that about my last life, at least.

Those are some good questions Jim, and this is a very interesting thread.

I think my outlook on war is a bit complicated, and I’m still very young and my outlook will probably change in the future. But as of right now; I honestly haven’t thought of it much, but I guess I have some mixed feelings about it. Of course it would be nice if people didn’t turn to violence and tried to solve things in a different way, but that’s not the reality of the world we live in, and I don’t think that will change any time soon. War is part of our history as a whole, and it seems that history tends to repeat itself. I don’t really agree with violence/ war in the grand scheme of things, but with the world we live in other options don’t always seem to be available. I’m sure others will have more insightful replies about this topic than me haha

As for the lessons I’ve learned from it, I’m not quite sure yet. I’m still in the motions of everything, still in the “figuring things out” process it seems. I’m curious as to the lessons you’ve learned from your past?

I’d say this experience has changed me immensely. My outlook on certain things, myself as a person, my soul. But I mean, how could it not? I think the past would’ve been dug up sooner or later for me, just seems it came at a more difficult time in my life and has been making things a bit more difficult. I’m just thankful to have a good bunch of people here on forum and elsewhere.

As for if I feel I was a warrior spirit, well. We’ve been talking a lot in private and it seems that actually may be the case. But I can’t say with absolute certainty if it was all circumstance or something different.

Last edited by a moderator:
My thoughts about war have been clarified after recalling my life as Terry. In the past, anything to do with war, and more specifically Vietnam, would make me switch off. I knew that I should be against violence, and against war, but something never sat well with me regarding hippies and anti-war protesters. And that's considering me and my other half are friends with some hippies (who are nice people -- if you dont mention politics). Now I know why I feel this way. The huge anti-war movement during the Vietnam War was devastating to those who had to fight, who chose to fight, and especially for those who were incarcerated in the Vietnamese prison system.

It's not a black and white issue for me, it's not war = bad, lets end all wars. It's more along the lines of... war happened, and it happens. And it will happen. Will we sit on the sidelines, and talk about how bad it is? Or, will we be part of it in some future world? I do strongly believe in freedom, and standing up for freedom. Most in the Western world don't realise how much freedom we truly have, and what all that cost.

Hi fireflydancing.

In my current life I am a warrior without war...but that doesn't mean I didn't fight. My war wasn't against army's with guns. It was a psychological war. Perhaps that kind if war is the last war for a warrior soul.

When I was a child I was bullied to. I used to say "I'm a pacifist. I'm a pacifist" to no avail. Then I unleashed what was truly in me and all rattled before my wrath....by saying I'm a pacifist I was trying to be what I am not.

I only really felt at home fighting. I know no other way.

I was also a career soldier tanker. So I can relate.

Yup. War is a waste. Its feels pointless yet there were reasons we fought. Those passions are dust in me now though...I see no good in war.

I admire that you've kept your idealism through war. That's more than I've done.

I understand what you mean landsend. I felt it was my duty too. To be honest I still feel that way. Duty is a comfort blanket for me....it justifies everything I do. I feel upright and direct when doing my duty. I feel like a soldier. I feel at home.

Hi kenz.

The lessons I've learned are many but chief among them is justification. I thought I was being a good soldier, I thought I was fighting injustices, I felt justified. I was wrong. How much brutality can a man inflict in the name of righteousness? How much can he excuse?

War results in darkness on ones soul. Is it a sacrifice or is it simply an expression of who we are?

I know what you mean landsend. I always tried to do what was in line with my moral core yet now that that core has been questioned where do I go from here?

Hi Alex.

I understand what you mean. For me the progression of my past lives is akin to climbing a mountain. Now I'm at the pinnacle so where do I go from here?Back down? The route might be easier with experience but will I simply be rethreading old ground? I can't say. Life is a mystery.

All I know is that I have to go somewhere from here.

Hi
I remember two life times connected with wars, one as a plain roman soldier and another in the 1700s when I joined in for the adventure. After a very short time of fighting in a battle I realized the mess and brutality, realized what I was doing, and horrified I broke down crying not able to fight anymore. So I don't consider myself a warrior soul.
Duty is a word thats very far away from me. What I do have is responsibility for my deeds. Responsibility for my family. To kill somebody always leaves a dead body behind and if you kill someone you are a murderer, as simple as that, and to me certainly no hero. Duty and only following orders makes no difference to me. There is no such thing as a war for peace or for freedom - the main reasons are always money and power. I wouldn't want to support that.
Anyway, it is interesting to read your POVs.

Glia,

I appreciate what you are saying -- but another view on this is -- what if an invading Army landed in your country, they started to blow up the infrastructures, murder people, rape women, take slaves and basically say you have no right to live on that land because it now belongs to them. Is fighting back not fighting to defend your freedom?

I do appreciate that many wars are motivated by power/money/resources (if not all wars), but that doesn't mean that folks should not defend themselves if need be. That is how any ordinary person can get tangled up in war, or a cycle of war lifetimes.

I keep reading on this site people saying all wars are for money and power. The Irish war was about giving power and prosperity to all the people of Ireland.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proclamation_of_the_Irish_Republic

The signatories were executed by the British. Did they die in the pursuit of money and power or did they die in the pursuit of freedom from Britain?

The Irish revolution wasn't about 'greedy bankers', it was a peoples revolution. In the decades that followed that was compromised by those in power but just over five years ago I attempted to turn the tide back towards the original intent of the signatories. Sometimes fighting is about patrioticism, whether one is fighting a war against foreign oppression or a war against domestic corruption.

I think to say all war is about money and power does a disservice to those who fought.

Glia,

I appreciate what you are saying -- but another view on this is -- what if an invading Army landed in your country, they started to blow up the infrastructures, murder people, rape women, take slaves and basically say you have no right to live on that land because it now belongs to them. Is fighting back not fighting to defend your freedom?
You can kill an enemy before he points the gun at you, and you can say you did it for freedom. You can even invade to another country and start killing for freedom. There is not a pure defencive war. You are ready to kill even sleeping people. Because they could enslave you or your friends tomorrow. No matter if you kill women or children as well. You don't want to see a new enemy generation growing.
I would like to see more reincarnation in this thread.

Last edited:
I agree Peace of mind. One can justify any act in the name of freedom. I had my limits of what I would do but others did not share my restrictions, this led to escalation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exe...War#The_Ballyseedy_Massacre_and_its_aftermath

I find that the fight for freedom is a slippery slope indeed.

I think there's some truth in this video. Does the pursuit of peace through brutality make one appear to be courageous? Does saving thousands justify brutalising one individual? Can we explain away wantonly immoral acts because we think they are linked to a higher purpose? Where does it stop?

It is for these reasons that I can no longer engage in war. I realise now that I'm not saving anyone, I'm simply leading them down a dark, slippery path.

Its a blight on ones soul.

There is a recent incident that I think exemplifies the conflict impulse that can lead to atrocities in war time:

I don't think the issue here is race. Had Neesons friend been raped by a red haired man or a man in glasses or whatever its apparent that the impulse would have been the same.

I think the issue is tribalistic violence. In the heat of battle it becomes about 'them and us'. The battle lines are drawn. In Neesons case it happened in peacetime but that impulse is known to anyone who has been involved in atrocity in wartime.

Yet war can justify anything. Neeson is being drawn over the coals for a reaction that people justify in wartime. Even small things dehumanise the enemy such as the disparaging words one uses to describe them.

Its because of this impulse, the one Neeson acknowledges he struggled with for a period after his friends rape, that atrocities like Ballyseedy occur.

I though it was worth pointing out because it shows that all of us, whether involved in conflict or not, has the capacity to do evil. Its what we all struggle with.

Thanks for posting that Jim.

Yes, dehumanisation is essential in war. In Vietnam, it was 'dinks' and 'gooks' or 'slopes'. It was actually called the 'Mere Gook Rule' during Nam. Meaning, doesn't matter if we've killed an innocent, we'll get off the hook, after all, it's just a gook.

Watched a documentary recently where General Westmoreland (Commander of U.S forces 1964-68) said, very blatantly, that 'they' (meaning South East Asians), didn't value life/death the way we did, so it did not matter them so much if folks died. A great way to convince oneself if anything.

Here's the clip:

That whole scene is very uncomfortable watching.

Actually this whole subject touches on a raw nerve. I did commit evil in Nam. I'll admit it, it happened. And I'm still paying the price.

Last edited:
Well, to give Gen. Westmoreland some credit he was v. honest and of a different generation. He didn’t mince his words or actions, something you wouldn’t see these days.

I do understand where he is coming from, even though I wouldn’t word it the way he did now. In SE Asia there are different philosophies on life and death — I wouldn’t go as far to say they don’t value life as much as us — differently, yes, but not less. Quality of life is maybe put above quantity. I recently read about an Hmong man whose baby was born premature and severely disabled — his view was the baby was no good, it needed to be thrown away. Of course in our society this would be seen as cruel and callous as life is preserved even without quality of life into account. Different cultures, different views.

Hi landsend. I called this topic 'In a glass darkly' because it was about discussing those dark impulses we have in wartime. This topic was supposed to be about reflecting those dark impulses back on ourselves.

The men of Ballyseedy were strapped to a mine and blown up because they were considered traitors of the Irish peopleby one faction, they were reprisal killings for what was done to pro treaty Free Staters.

Indeed my own past self was shot dead as being a traitor to the Republican cause. Wars, particularly civil wars, are brutal.

Its not about what we have become tanker, its about what we've always been. I don't know what the common German soldier called the allies during WW2 but to the allies you yourself were 'just a jerry'. Think about the brutality that could have been done to you and justified because of that thinking.

We have to acknowledge the thinking that results in brutality in wartime if we are ever going to overcome it.

All sides do it. As I said, war is a long, dark path. We can't simply say its disgraceful and pretend its a new occurrence. Its being going on since rival hunter gathers used their hunting skills to hunt men.

Dehumanization starts as soon as you enter basic, you're completely stripped from your personal identity, made to do what is not considered the social norm and it's here where you spot the warrior souls with ease because where some need to be completely dehumanized, stripped from their civilian persona others show skills not thought before and need to be harnessed or even tamed because their inner warrior comes out and a lot, possibly younger souls, haven't learned to control their instincts yet

What I've learned, humans are capable of anything, I myself am capable of anything and can actually take a life with a clear conscience, many can't
That's why in training I'm often the losing party because if I loosen the restraints and they get too lose disaster can strike, something my instructors had to find out the hard way "we can take it" no, you couldn't

I do appreciate that many wars are motivated by power/money/resources (if not all wars), but that doesn't mean that folks should not defend themselves if need be. That is how any ordinary person can get tangled up in war, or a cycle of war lifetimes.

Defending yourself by killing the attackers is questionable to me.
In reality I might be the first one that shoots but I still do not feel it is the right choice. I only want to make a point that killing is killing is killing.. it doesn't become something else just because you do your duty or follow orders. Sorry I just felt like I have got to throw this into the discussion, a little motivated by Kubricks Dr Strangelove - a film I hadn't seen for a while and was watching last week.
The glorifying of war that happens now and then plus the justification makes me angry sometimes, especially when thinking about the ptsd symptoms and depressive moods guys carry along. Warrior souls should be capable of using their abilities elsewhere.

In reality I might be the first one that shoots but I still do not feel it is the right choice. I only want to make a point that killing is killing is killing.. it doesn't become something else just because you do your duty or follow orders. Sorry I just felt like I have got to throw this into the discussion, a little motivated by Kubricks Dr Strangelove - a film I hadn't seen for a while and was watching last week.
The glorifying of war that happens now and then plus the justification makes me angry sometimes, especially when thinking about the ptsd symptoms and depressive moods guys carry along. Warrior souls should be capable of using their abilities elsewhere.

I get what you are saying Glia -- but what about reasonable defence? Imagine someone breaks into your home, and you discover them -- they have a weapon and intend to use it on you. Your reaction might be more instinctive than you think. Actually something like this happened to me a couple of days ago. I was in my kitchen the other day with my family, and we heard a tremendous crashing sound/people talking upstairs. My husband opened our kitchen door (adjoined to the garage) and found our garage roof had caved in -- someone had been running across it. My instinct was -- holy crap, someone has burgled my neighbours. So without thinking I ran into my garden (without even a weapon, my husband threw me a wood plank), and found that my fence to my neighbours had been smashed and was lying on its side. I ran over to my neighbours garden to see if they were in -- they were, thank God. Turns out that the thieves had robbed and smashed an house to pieces further up and used our house as an escape route not realising our garage roof is fragile and made of asbestos. But let me tell you -- I was ready to whack them one if I had to. I wasn't even thinking. The need to defend oneself is entirely instinctive.

Warrior souls do end up in other places like sports and law enforcement
A cop would kill someone who intents to kill the cop first, Soldiers are no different, kill or be kiled

And warriors are capable of using their abilities elsewhere like I stated but what's the purpose of a warrior soul if not to fight war? It's in the name
I'm a warrior, always was, always will be and have no problems taking a life before that person can take mine

Whether some wars are justified or not isn't my concern, I can and have written about the cause/effect of why certain wars happened, where justified or not justified
I'm a Soldier or Marine (depending on which life), I fight, that's what I do
I don't seek justification from outsiders or want to be seen as a hero (many see especially WWI and II military as heros) I'm not, I did and do the only thing that I know how to do and after several centuries I'm good at

If anyone can get a hold of this -- it's The Vietnam War Docu (Ken Burns/Lynn Novick) Ep 5. -- This Is What We Do.

The whole episode summarised a lot of my thoughts.

Hi CanSol.

I don't remember my past life training period but I do know that I didn't need basic training in my current life to dehumanise me against people.

All I needed was to know that they were doing evil, abusing their power and opposing me. Under those circumstances I was like a cat playing with a mouse.

I had zero conscience about it. I was even proud of having fought them.

Unfortunately my conscience has caught up with me though.

I know what you mean landsend. I remember once sleeping in the back of a truck up on the French border and someone tried to break into it. I immediately kicked the door open and chased them into the forest. My boss didn't know if I was being brave or stupid. Neither do I really. Either way the little bolox got away.

I really need to move house — if the SHTF round here folks are gonna be looting food, not gold. Feel very bad for my neighbour they haven’t slept in their house since their place was ransacked. Where my garage roof caved in is where I keep the washer / drier - I had been thinking just moments before to get some clothes out the drier so guess I’m lucky? I might be already back in the reincarnation line right now. The roof fell in big shards.

Back