What does reincarnation mean to you personally?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Deborah, Apr 14, 2001.

1. Birgitte Heuschkel

Birgitte Heuschkel Still MIA.

What does it mean to me...

Well, it meant forgiving myself for things I never knew happened until I remembered them. That sounds a little like the old joke that teachers are the people who teach us to solve problems we never knew we had, but there's more to it than that.

I've always had feelings of guilt and of being different and socially unacceptable. I've also always had a clear head for organisation and structuring and teamwork. I am a problem solver, not a brooder -- except if I can't solve in which case I take brooding to new exciting lows.

Knowing about multiple past lives in various warrior/hunter/protector roles have taught me about both why I am the kind of person that I am, and also about why I feel a deep affinity for nature and seem to bond very well with animals. My earliest memory goes back to remembering the Neanderthals -- the 'other' people. Then a bunch of native American ones and stone age ones in a mix. And then of course the big one, the one with all the detail, the WWII one.

I have a lot to forgive. I have a lot to be forgiven for. Sometimes I feel that I exist to forgive and be forgiven.

2. frodo

frodo New Member

For me, it gives me a different perspective on life. Not comepletely but it has changed a few things. I don't get nearly so worried about little things. And every once in a while, I'll recognize one of my faults as being from an earlyier life and then I know I could change it if I want to. It makes me want to make the world the best I can, because I'll probably be here again.

3. Obie

Obie Senior Registered

French at heart: why do u think that u and your adoptive father are born so far away from your previous family/friends? Reason I'm asking is that I am convinced that I am born far far away from where I was previously born.

4. HelplessDancer

HelplessDancer Sheikless Sheba

I feel healed, and like I finally vindicated Oda for all she went through before. It's helped me to understand and to come to terms with things which have happened in the past, both in my life and in Oda's life.

5. French at Heart

French at Heart Member

Obie, sorry to not have responded to your question sooner, I had a busy week.

I think of all of the people from my past life, the man who once was my husband & now my adopted father had the worst relations together. I think we were placed together again in this life to let things run the course so we can both heal old wounds. He is quite a bit older and I suppose I would have been 'put' with him had he lived in France, Ethiopia, or anywhere in between.

The other group in France I have no idea about. If I were not meant to find them I don't think I would have been able to recognize them.

I hope that makes sense. I don't post that often here and when I do I don't know if I'm very clear.

Warmly,
    French at Heart

6. niamh

niamh Senior Registered

I've found recently that memories of another lifetime are enhancing my life now in two ways.

First, I feel a strong influence from my past life as a wealthy city lady, and that adds something to my current life as a born-and-raised country gal. When I get a chance to put on a fancy dress, drink expensive wine, and listen to jazz music, it feels like going home to old times. Conversely, when I'm out in the fields or the woods with no sign of civilization in sight, I appriciate the peace and joy of that experience more, because even though I was born to it, it still feels new to me in some ways. The contrasts in the two lifetimes help me avoid taking either one for granted, which is good, because I've enjoyed them both tremendously.

The second way is a bit harder to explain, but it's also more important, so I'll try. In both those lifetimes, I've been blessed to have a very special best friend. In order to tell this story, I'll have to give them names -- "Jane" for the past life friend, "Ramona" for the current life friend. I only recently talked to Ramona about Jane, and learned that Ramona remembers Jane, too. Now, Ramona is going through a difficult time in her life. What she needs most is emotional support. So, at least once a day, I take a quiet moment to channel some positive energy and love to Ramona. I start by concentrating on the bond between Ramona and me, and I've found that if I also think about the bond between Jane and Ramona and me, the energy is a lot stronger. So, even though neither of us knows Jane's current identity, she is still helping us as we go through a trying time. And for that, I am very grateful.

7. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

I am still interested in HOW your experiences affect you in the NOW. What does the reallization of reincarnation bring to your current life time? :cool

8. dark rosaleen

dark rosaleen Senior Registered

what I've learned from reincarnation

Race and nationality are illusions. We're all people.

The best way to let go of the past is live in the present.

When you meet strangers, don't do anything to them that you wouldn't to your oldest friends. They might just be.

"This too shall pass."

Experience is the best teacher.

Being in the majority doesn't mean you're right.

Being human is never easy.

Drive safely--especially in chariots. :D

9. Hammy

Hammy Senior Registered

I think the only way I can answer this question right now is by saying that all or at least some of my past lifes have made me who I am now. But which ones (I am very sure of three, quite sure of one and the rest are speculation) is something I can't answer, at least not yet. But then I'm still a newbie :D
    What I can tell you is that I have had opened a whole new set of emotions for someone that has taken me completely by surprise. I have to say that I am enjoying the knowledge of being here before and the new experiences it is bringing.
    Sorry for the ramble I hope it made sense.
    Hammy.

10. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

:D I'd love to hear from new members! Anyone care to share your thoughts? :D

Ailish

11. Curious

Curious New Member

I don't have many thoughts as i haven't really delved deep enough to fill my suspisions. I guess you could say i feel really excited and this excitement works both ways. I'm giddy like a little girl but yet frightened like one as well. I hope that i can find good times but I do know that there will be bad times. I mostly just want to find me. I have lots of hobbies yes but i really am a stranger to myself and I am excited to start this venture. It only started maybe a week ago give or take a day or 2.
    I know i'm extremely excited to have found this forum!!!! My brain is so overloaded with so many feelings after reading alot of this stuff here. I'm so excited its all i could talk about at dinner!!

12. vicky

vicky Senior Member

I'm just less afraid of death. I just went through a big breast cancer scare and I was surprised at how calm I was about it. My biggest concern was for my son but then I started thinking that if things ended badly for me that he had a say in it before he was born and it would have happened for a reason. Also, more well rounded in regards to life in general. Try not to take things personally and try to realize that everyone is here to learn and to learn at their own pace. Myself included. My own mistakes are easier to tolerate because I know that next time I'll learn them quicker.
    Vicky

13. sticksnstones

sticksnstones New Member

I have a very technically oriented background and career. Because of that and my curiosity I have been searching for the meaning of life for decades. I attempted to understand this creation from the standpoint of the creator in a technical context. I have tried to reconcile the tenants of institutional religion with the realities of war, disease, starvation, hate, terror, loneliness, suffering and all the other manifestations of evil on the planet. Religion fails me miserably. I believe in a benevolent God who is leading us into spiritual understanding, albeit, gradually. I finally asked my God to tell me the truth. What is this system all about?

I was led to book after book on Cosmology, Anthropology, Quantum Physics, Near Death Experiences, this and many other web sites, and finally Reincarnation. It all came together for me. Bits and pieces from so many disciplines complementing and supporting each other. Reincarnation is the only doctrine that makes sense to me now. To know when children die, they are ok. To know when people suffer, they will be ok. To know when injustice occurs it will be reconciled. To know that this one life, be it good or not so good, is a learning experience to bring us to the threshold of understanding that it is all about…Love.

It is interesting, when ever I have attended a funeral over the past 30 years, it always struck me that when I looked at the deceased I instantly thought, “he or she is not there”. I have always instinctively known that. Now with the understanding of reincarnation it makes sense. The body is a vehicle for temporary use and ultimate abandonment. The soul continues on to fulfill the destiny that God designed for us.

When I was 13, an angel/guide spoke to me. I could not see her. She told me of a future dramatic event. The event happened in detail as described. It took me 40 years to understand the meaning of that encounter. It was not about the event, it was about the revelation that there existed something beyond our understanding. The event was simply a validation of that existence.

There is a plan for all our lives. We are known, watched over and most importantly, Loved beyond all comprehension.

Sticks

14. Persuasion

Persuasion This time

Hello Deborah

I have been using this forum for a couple of months.I read everyday.
    I have been unable to let go of a past life.
    I need to find out who I was and where I was.
    It really makes me feel uncomplete,sad and not happy in this present life.
    I feel something important is missing in my life.
    I dont like living in the present.
    I feel I belong to another country with other people.
    thanks

15. McDebra

McDebra New Member

What I've learned from reincarnation.

I've learned that life is indeed a stage and every act is recorded.
    I've learned that we have a purpose to this life and every life, as we have planned this life and made a plan of how to serve other souls and be served.
    There is no need to covet what you see that others have. We will have what we need to fulfill the life we have chosen to lead.
    Since I have glimpsed my former lives, I see a thread of simularity.
    I am happy with the soul that I am. I hope I will always choose to serve others as that is when I am at my happiest.
    Wealth has nothing to do with happiness.
    Do not speak of this with those that are not like minded as they can't handle the truth.

16. Sacramentum

Sacramentum Senior Registered

What a great question.

Reincarnation means so many things for me that it is hard to put it into words.

Because of believing in past lives, it has opened doors for me spiritually, that I welcome with an open mind. I also have met/reunited with people I've known in a past life. One specifically is my best friend who, as we both feel, that we were sisters a life time ago.

It has helped some of my fear of death. Knowing that there is another time to come around and that everyone you know now you will know again. That we will never really be alone.

And with reading this board and books, it has eased my mind that I am not 'losing' it or gone crazy. It has helped me realize that there are others out there that have the same feelings and experiences.

17. buntaro

buntaro Senior Registered

"What does reincarnation mean to you personally?"

--> Reincarnation, along with karma, are the two foundations of my belief system. They give me a way to organize my life, so that I can facilitate my progress toward Nirvana.

18. Ailish

A great question. Anyone else have something to add to the discussion?

Ailish

19. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Emeritus Staff Member Super Moderator

Hi Ailish,

I have to say that reincarnation has turned my whole outlook on life upside down. Just a few months ago I was a bit sceptical about it, but I've always tried to keep an open mind.

I had a regression done a while ago and I still wasn't 100% convinced, I left thinking to myself whether what I'd experienced really was a past life, or whether it was my subconcious making it all up.

It's what has happened since the regression that has left me in no doubt that reincarnation is real. The little bits of information that have revealed themselves to me, without even looking for it, the coincidences, questions I've been asking all my life have been answered, and all in a matter of weeks since the regression.

I also used to be terrified by the thought of death, I believed that we were born, we live once, we die, and that's the end, forever, I could never get my head around that. But now I have no fear of death at all, and in an odd way, part of me is looking forward to my next life as I'm not at all happy with the life i'm in at the moment.

I only wish now that more people believed, because I can talk freely about it here, but I don't feel I can tell any of my friends or family. I did share my experience with one close friend and I could tell by her reaction that she either thought I was making it up, or that I was nuts. I'm so excited with my new found belief, I want to tell everyone and I can't.

Chris

20. Ailish

Hi Chris,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. ;)

I think it's human nature for those of us who believe in reincarnation -- to dream of something better or different for our next life than what we've got now.

I truly believe though, that we are meant to experience that which we have created for ourselves now. And if we are unhappy with a situation -- or repeating patterns throughout our lives of destructiveness or unhappiness, then we need to look closely at how to change that.

Positive change now, will create positive change in both present and future lives.

No kidding :tongue: :D But I do find -- that presently people are quite a bit more receptive to the possibility, even more so than I imagined. That's a good start ;)

Ailish

21. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Emeritus Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm afraid there's nothing I can do to change my unhappiness Ailish. I don't know if you have read any of my posts, but most of them are based on the fact that I believe I'm a female soul in a male body, or I've had many female lives and this is my first male life, and looking through the other threads, I don't appear to be the only one here who feels this way. There's nothing I can do to change this life. Now I'm hoping that we get to choose whether to be male or female, I know we are what we are for a reason, but if that's true, I don't know why I chose to be male in this life.

Sorry to be changing the subject, maybe this should be in a new thread.

22. Ailish

Hi Chris,

I'm afraid I disagree : angel ;) You see, I strongly believe that we all have the opportunity to change our unhappiness, but it's something we have to do for ourselves.

How we choose to think about a situation can manifest itself in many different outcomes. Thoughts are extremely powerful things.

We all have free will -- the choice in how we think -- act -- and react. Whatever thoughts we reflect outwards -- we also draw back towards us. Like energies attract.

Reincarnation is so much more complex than just dying and being born into another body. Imo, there are so many things to consider.

Perhaps you chose it as a lesson -- to better understand what it feels like to be a man. Or perhaps you were drawn into a male incarnation by the thoughts you held in your consciousness at the time of your last death.

So you see -- we do have a choice. ;)

I'm not trying to give you a lecture -- just a few points to think about. Whatever reason you came into being in a male body for -- there is something to be gained, something to learn. Always try to make the best out of every situation. Our souls are here for the experience.

Ailish :)

23. tiltjlp

tiltjlp A Recycled Soul

What a Wonderful old topic, as fresh as today. On a personal basis, I feel this reincarnation has been one of major growth, as a person and as a soul. After several lives where I seemed to spin my wheels and repeat negative patterns, this one has been amazing so far. The major lessons I have begun to learn have been tolerance, which I needed most, forgiveness, empathy, and a willingness to share.

In the past, and for part of this life, I was very prejudice, bitter, uncaring, and selfish. My path to change has been my writing, which has developed over many of my PL. Especially in PL, my prejudice had caused suffering to many people. In this one, it caused me a lot of suffering, which enabled me to change. When this hatred dissolved, the others were easy to cure. The difference personally and spiritually has been so drastic it's as if I have lived two separate lives this life.

Although I'm in no rush, I'm looking forward to my next life, in the hope that my growth continues. I know of several other areas that need to be fixed, and simply don't feel those changes are meant for this life, though I haven't given up hope. In fact, the major theme of this life has been hope. I have never given up hope for something better, and I know that hope will play a lead role in my future lives.

John

24. lonewolf

lonewolf Senior Registered

I am not sure yet what reincarnation belief has done for me. There has been no emotional conversion feeling. But maybe that's a good thing. It is really part of the journey.

Something deep inside me has believed in reincarnation for a long time. I am certain life continues. But the mechanics baffle me.

I am not yet certain if regression memories are 'real.' But however I look at them, they are revealing--either of who I have been, or of the secret life of my subconscious. Either way they are valuable. I feel like I'm revealing myself to myself, whatever that means :D

Lonewolf

25. tiltjlp

tiltjlp A Recycled Soul

Lonewolf, that is exactly what exploring Past Life memories is for a lot of people, especially in the beginning. Just like a toddler learning to walk, we often need to gain confidence in the process of learning about our past. As I'm sure you've read, many of us have doubts at times if our memories are real or accurate. As Deborah and Ailish often talk about, validation is important, and can take years.

Your comment "I feel like I'm revealing myself to myself, whatever that means." sums up exactly my approach to all this. After a lifetime of meditation and soul searching, I have realized we have more success if the more open-minded/hearted and relaxed we can be. Choose to believe that you can discover not only who you are, but who you were, and you'll be surprised with the results.

John

26. Ailish

I am curious -- if any new members have some thoughts to share?

27. tanguerra

tanguerra Moderator Emeritus

For most of my adult life I have understood about reincarnation and have had memories since childhood, although I did not really know what they were, so it is difficult to know how I would feel if I did not have this strange 'ability'. I often remembered being male, but unlike in ChrisR's case this did not really create any confusion for me as to my present gender. I don't see my 'real' self as having either gender although my body certainly is gendered.

It does make some things more complicated, for example in relationship with someone I have known before, but it also makes things make more 'sense' so I guess that balances out. I certainly have zero fear of death, which is probably a good thing. Sometimes I wish things could be a bit simpler without all these multidimensional complications of every little thing, but then again I would rather know than not know. Then again, there is all this past sadness that comes through sometimes.

I am certainly much more careful with my interactions with people. You never know who you are going to meet again - or perhaps never meet again! I am very conscious of trying to resolve existing issues with people, as best I can and always to focus on love and forgiveness.

I often have to remind myself that most people don't understand reincarnation or believe in it which can make things a bit tricky sometimes, so I have to watch what I say so as not to frighten or alienate people. It is a great relief to have this forum to talk about things.

28. hedpe9999

hedpe9999 New Member

For me, it is a very scary idea and I wish it wasn't true. I don't know why anybody thinks it is comforting to come back to a world like this over and over again. I basically think the universe is some meaningless psycho-physical process and I don't think we're here to "learn" or anything like that.

29. Ailish

Hi hepde,

Because you get to be with those you love - time and again. You have the opportunity to try many different roles, both genders, different cultures, occupations and so on....it is an adventure.

Reincarnation is a gift. Stop to consider - some of the stories that have been shared on the forum - about losing a loved one and having them reincarnate within the same family. I cannot think of anything more comforting - than to know without a doubt - death is not final. Not for us - nor for those we love. And we will be together again - in other lifetimes. What a joy...

Whatever the world is - we have made it that way. We also have the opportunity to create change and move towards peace. We must be the change we want to see. ;)

Do any new members have comments to add regarding Deborah's original question?

Aili

30. journey215

journey215 New Member

I'm new here and am just beginning to believe that reincarnation is real. I feel that I am supposed to be learning something about being able to . . . I don't even know how to put this in words . . . love freely without fear . . . ?

This is quite a revelation to me because that is NOT what I thought my life should be about. I feel that I was a bit reluctant to come here and now that I'm here I'm resisting the lesson. I feel that I'm a lot younger that some of you here. Not in this life, I'm getting old in this life but spiritually I think I'm just a baby :)

Journey