• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Why do do many people claim to be famous?

First, I'm deeply honored to have passed your nitty gritty test S&S! :)

Secondly, there have been a lot of good comments in this thread that I can relate to. S&S is right, I do get to wear the cloak of cultural anonymity and I actually think that's been more of a comfort than I've realized. In China, my family is portrayed as soap opera characters and despite being able to read many interviews and books by people that actually knew them, people take the fictionalized versions as fact. I've found that frustrating to a degree, as it's made my research in China difficult, however, I couldn't begin to imagine growing up there; some of the things that have been said about them are quite crude and absolutely ignorant.

Despite my life long interest in China, I knew nothing about my family, even thought i could have easily I could have found them, on the internet, but i wasn't aware of them until 2006. I think my friend in contrast, was much more subconsciously aware of his past life than I was. I think until 2006 though, it was blocked off from me on purpose; either it be spirit guides or my own life plan. And after that point, I did find myself and family rather quickly.

I was burdened up to that point in not knowing or understanding why I felt so out of place in my body and then in 2006 and for several years afterwards, I had this "presence" in my life that was gently pushing me to find out who I was in a past life. So all in all, I think I've had this burden of feeling crazy in one regard or the other and I had to work backwards, since I quickly found my family.

For me, it was resolving the anger and frustration I had towards my past life and also my friend, who was my husband then, that "proved" it to me. Having so many articles and books available to me though, I began to try and disprove everything I could and the more and more I did that, the more concrete proof I ended up with. The emotional component was by far the largest, but there are so many other things I can't explain away by mere coincidence.

I agree too though, that also needs to be backed up being able to know things that you can't read in books on online. I had a dream once about being in a bedroom and I was able to verify it as mine by looking at some photos that tourists had taken by visiting the palace. That was an interesting experience because in the photos, there was a wardrobe that was moved next to the bed, when I knew it was across from the bed but off set to the left. In other photos I found later, I realized that the cabinet was moved so that visitors could see it, since in it's original position, it would have been out of view from where the walkway was roped off. It was also off set because there was a door on the wall, opposite the bed.

So all in all, I don't mind being so public and or transparent about it, because like S&S was saying, it doesn't mean anything to anyone here. I enjoy keeping up with my research thread, because with each new "find" I add to it, I can keep proving to myself that I'm not crazy. I have both the advantage of being well documented and also anonymous and maybe it's the teacher or public servant in me, but if someone can see that someone else has some pretty hard evidence, maybe from reading my thread, they can feel better about themselves and like they aren't crazy either.

That's the only thing I want from it. To be able to help people see that there is more to life than we realize and I just hope I can ease someone else's pain and suffering. You're all right, it'd be better to not have gone through this, to not have to question who and what you are and we see the gift and wisdom in the "veil" here as someone was saying.

I'm not lucky, or better. I"m just like anyone else here. I don't think my story is different than anyone else's that I've read so far. I just have more "stuff" and like I said, if you can consider that proof, I hope that can convince you that you're not crazy either.

Hi Tortoro.

Like you I tried to disprove my memories and that threw me down the rabbit hole of pl acceptance.

Its interesting what you say about the wardrobe. I've had similar experiences where things just felt wrong.

I don't mind being public or transparent either ( except about my earliest remembered life ). I personally don't have a specific research thread but I do post new validations and things like that. I endeavour to be as honest and as objective as possible about my pl memories.

I'm not out to prove who I was to anyone but I am still very protective of my claims. Its the warrior in me. I'm not trying to make a believer of anyone but I do have the impulse to proverbially beat people into submission. :)

I'm stimulated by the intellectual challenge of exploring my past lives. The actual spiritual aspects of them I've gained more clarity on and come to accept since joining this forum.

It good you post also to help others. Personally I don't know if I've helped many people in the reincarnation community.

Still though. I find having FPLs intimidating...daunting. I'd rather be anonymous and just affect my family and friends than affect thousands. I don't want that juggling act anymore.

I don't claim to be "famous". If anything, I was second best when it came to music... I am only known today because Wolfgang (my younger brother), was a famous composer, and is still talked about in modern times. This has been going on since the 18thcentury, so our family has been written about for a very long time...But, some historians like to use their own intuition, and embellish the history a little bit to make it sound like our lives were glamorous. They were not. They were filled with broken hearts, loss, grief, poverty...Just ordinary people trying to make a living.

Today it's common knowledge that both the Mozart children were prodigies and probably Maria Anna (Nannerl) was the most talented one. She was not the second best when it came to music. Her father frustrated her career because she was a woman.

I had two false memories ..

I had a false memory of being Anne Boylen..

I was near the beginning of doing regression work .. I had a sense of having been her.. ie fear of losing my head and I could feel her " queenliness "

A year later I revisited this time in my regression work.. And I remembered what really had happened.. I was a maid to Anne Boleyn .. in her court as a teenager ...

First I remembered how strongly I identified with Anne .. The huge amount of time with the courts employees talking about the beheading.. the fear of having my own head chopped off ..

Many years later I remembered having been raped by King Henry ... adding to the strong identification..

One of a key issue in my past regression work has been the fear of being raped so theorizing this only added to the deep connection to being someone else .. ie dissociation from my own self due to abuse and post traumatic stress

I had another where I could have sworn I was a soldier in the civil war. I remember the pain of having had my leg amputated... remembering the hospital on the war fields and the trauma.. I later went on to remember that it was a memory of my then husband .. ie I remembered his death .. I am able to psychically pick up on others lives and future lives so I was picking up on that before I even knew I had this talent..

Again this reflected some on my own pain as I have problems of pain in my leg ...and have a feeling of it not belonging to me/ ie cut off ...

This man who was my then husband is someone I know this life and interestingly a friend who was not into reincarnation as I am said she had had a vision of seeing him as a confederate soldier..

A great discussion about being famous in a past life. Sunniva wrote a beautiful synopsis.

Hi, everybody:

Being (or having been) famous means being unique, not like all the rest.

So, the subconscious thinks: "Hey, if I'm not like the rest of them, so, maybe, I'm not mortal like all of them. Hence, I'm immortal."

It's the fear of death that moves some people to believe they are or have been famous.

Because, deep inside, nobody believes seriously in reincarnation and in the immortality of his/her soul.

After all, they say that Earth is round, too, but I KNOW it's flat.

That simple.

IMHO.

Best Regards.

Cyrus, I'm not quite sure I agree with all of that. I do agree that people believe (or purport to believe) they were famous because either they believe they are unique or they want to appear that way. There are many, many reasons people claim famous past lives. I think many of the are rooted in a need for attention. The source of that is debatable and perhaps as unique as each person claims to be. Some people may be bored and simply trolling, others may be lonely and jealous of the attention others receive.

People can engage in attention seeking behavior regardless of their personal feelings or beliefs towards reincarnation, death, religion and so on. It's a means to an end for some people. Here it may be false claims to a famous past life, in other forums it may be faking an illness and so on.

Could it be that because media is such an integral part of our life since childhood that we catch glimpses of these famous lives and our mind confuses it and applies ourselves…thus, the feeling of a past life but in reality, it’s simply a glimpse, nothing to do with us?

I often wonder about the influence of media on past life memories and supposed famous past life memories in especial.

Some people might just identify with someone famous for various reasons that might or might not be pl related. They might be good in imagining how this person was like and they mistake this for a past life experience.
Some people have a feeling of familiarity with a place or time period and then they somehow conclude they were a known historical figure associated with it, because that’s the first person that comes to their mind based on what they saw in media and they don’t ever think of maybe having been a servant in that place or foot soldier, for example.

Hi, everybody:

Being (or having been) famous means being unique, not like all the rest.

So, the subconscious thinks: "Hey, if I'm not like the rest of them, so, maybe, I'm not mortal like all of them. Hence, I'm immortal."

It's the fear of death that moves some people to believe they are or have been famous.

Because, deep inside, nobody believes seriously in reincarnation and in the immortality of his/her soul.

After all, they say that Earth is round, too, but I KNOW it's flat.

That simple.

IMHO.

Best Regards.

Never thought of it this way. That’s an interesting POV. I don’t know about fear of death and “immortality”, but I think a desire to be someone unique, special and exceptional plays well into this in some cases. Also the need for attention and recognition.

All of that said, I have memories (mostly pl dreams) of being someone known myself, and I take it all with a grain of salt. I often wonder: Would I have these memories if it wasn’t for the media exposure? Would I have them without knowing before that this person ever existed and what is recorded about them in history? I somehow doubt this. Media could have served just as a trigger for the memories I got, of course. But my pl dreams could as well be just some fantasy mixed with some movie scenes and a bit of historical knowledge. I’m quite sceptical of myself here, and I sometimes think I’m just picking up on something well known anyway and my subconsciousness is making up the rest of it.

On the other hand my memories don’t show much of the famous events of that person’s life that are often shown in artwork and media, just one or two and that in an incomplete or blurry way. The rest are mostly fragments of (private) conversions with other people and my thoughts and emotions during this. This is unrecorded in history and not part of any media, of course.

Then I see some stuff slightly different than how it is often shown in popular media. For example, I see somewhat different clothing, different hairstyles, a specific person looks different than what they are commonly portrayed in movies and such. So not exactly what you would expect, and I’m sometimes surprised and confused by what I see myself. When I researched such differences, I discovered that I was either much more accurate and closer to actual historical sources than most modern media and movie portrayals are, or that there is a lack of historical knowledge about those details. That’s at least something, but nothing that would really convince me so far.

In the end it’s hard to tell how much influence media really has on me in all of this. The fact is, I know much more about this person’s life from media and history than I would know from my memories (or whatever it is) alone. From my memories I wouldn’t even know what that person was famous for, probably not even that they were much famous at all. And I wouldn’t know the names of other known people of that time who I remember. Maybe I wouldn’t even remember these people at all without knowing before that they existed. So it's all not so easy and I’m still far away from having a final conclusion on this.

Hi, everybody:

I guess, there is a serious subestimation (or infra-valoration) of the role the subconscious plays in our lives.

It looks so elegant and modern to lay blame on the media, but you forget that the media do not exist in a vacuum, they get retro-alimented (feed-backed) by the persons subject to their subconscious desires and phobias.

One can long to be Elvis because one is influenced by the media and one wants to get admired by everybody just like Elvis was because it feels so sweet to be admired by so many people.

But why does it feel sweeter being admired than going to a gym, for example?

In the basis of all our thoughts and feelings lies the good old subconscious, which is obsessed with a powerful fear - the fear of death.

And going to a gym simply does not calm down this fear, that's the difference.
Anybody can go to a gym, you do not get unique by going to a gym. You are one of the lot, and so you'll follow the same route like all of them and end in a cemetery.

IMHO.

Best Regards.

Last edited:
Quote: "Being (or having been) famous means being unique, not like all the rest."
That really doesn't tell the whole story. Some people, such as royalty may be famous just because of being born, they don't have to do anything outstanding. Or a person might just happen to be fashionable, say in the type of singing they do, it doesn't necessarily imply the music is outstanding, only that it was caught up in the whims and vagaries of fashion. A lot of fame is pure accident.

As for fear of death. Well that gets wheeled out by sceptics every time there is any evidence of any kind to suggest that humans have a soul which can survive death. It can be applied to near-death experiences - "fear of death", a medium passing messages from the deceased - "fear of death", and now reincarnation - "fear of death". That general-purpose debunking tool is getting a little bit tired and worn out by now. In any case some people, living difficult lives, would welcome death, not because they believe in an afterlife, but because they just want it to stop. It is life which can be much more of a challenge for many people. But this is a difficult area and I'm already reaching the edges of a restricted topic on this forum.

Suffice to say, the answer to fear is simple. Love. Lots of problems in our world cannot be fixed by quick words, but in many cases, love is needed to see things in a different light, so we come up with solutions based on it. Don't forget love.

Speedwell, I agree with you in that often, the whole story isn't told.

I personally don't like the words fame and famous; I think they imply glamour and stardom. I've always preferred words more akin to well known and documented.

Cyrus is correct, having a well known life makes you unique. Maybe simply because of the public awareness or documentation of that life, as in contrast, most others aren't either of those things. However, that does not imply that the individual is somehow inherently better or superior to anyone else. I quite firmly believe that we all suffer in our own ways and bear burdens that aren't readily visible to an outward observer. Just because someone is "famous" or perhaps even if they accomplished some great good in the lives, that does not mean nor imply they are above the average person somehow.

I'm going to stop at this point, as I fear I've repeated this sort of thing many times on the forum! Ha ha. But also because speedwell makes excellent points as well in the post above.

Back