Zorses and zonkeys!

Discussion in 'Past Life Memories' started by Lynnette, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Lynnette

Lynnette New Member

I had the most bizzare dream recently, where I was sat on a bench on the roadside in a very old fashioned looking town, just contemplating the sky and the breeze and life in general, when I heard the sound of hooves and turned to see a carriage come careering round the corner and turn up the road in front of me... it was pulled by a pair of zorses (zebra-horse crosses)! Then a couple of bareback, riderless appaloosas came charging along behind them, then a couple of other ponies with riders, some shetlands, carriages, and another carriage with four zorses or zonkeys (zebra-donkey crosses!). :eek:

Until this dream, I had never even contemplated the fact that zorses, zonkeys and zebrasses even existed, but when I saw the first pair come careering round the corner, I knew exactly what they were! But then I can't think of ever having come across the subject before, or of seeing or hearing anything that could have triggered of built itself into such a dream...:confused:

Has anyone else ever found themselves having quite such a bizzare dream and it tying in with the time period of a PL?

2. Cryscat

Cryscat Senior Member

3. Lynnette

Lynnette New Member

They might well have been, since they were that same sandy reddish colour, but I seem to remember the stripes being on the back end and hind legs, while your link states quaggas were stripped only at the front..??

4. pixarfan

pixarfan Member

Could they have been okapis?

5. Lynnette

Lynnette New Member

No, definitely not okapi.

I wonder if anyone ever had the zorse/zonkey hybrids as part of a circus or show or something? It would surely have been a novelty in its time ... and never mind then, I can imagine it would probably be a grand novelty now! It certainly took me aback!

6. Lady2

Lady2 Senior Registered

What an interesting dream...Sometimes they really can surprise you! :laugh:

Being a horse owner myself, and having spent a good amount of time at horse shows/fairs, I have seen the mule/zebra & horse/zebra crosses in person...Not sure how far back the breeding goes, certainly would be worth doing more research on. :thumbsup:

7. goplacidly

goplacidly New Member

Check out Lord Walter Rothschild 1868-1937 and his Zebra carriage at Tring Park Herefordshire England.

8. Cryscat

Cryscat Senior Member

9. Lynnette

Lynnette New Member

The carriage does look remarkably similar in set up to one of those in my dream, but they were definitely not zebras pulling it, they were only semi-zebra-like... seeing the modern day pictures of the quaggas does make me wonder and doubt myself now - were the stripes on the behinds, or were they in the fronts? They may well have been zeb-somethings, or they may have been quaggas - the only point against the quaggas, is that they were obviously brought to the point of extinction, so would i really have seen teams of them pulling a race of carriages?