Ailish
Administrator Emerita
From the time I was a little girl, I've remembered past lives. It's something that has always stayed with me. My Grandma kept a journal for me, and interestingly enough I've been able to fill in many missing pieces from lives I spoke about as a child. Despite being very Catholic, my grandma never batted an eye when I spoke about other mothers, homes and families. Or about seeing the Light and speaking with spirits. Perhaps she knew something...
I've always been very attached to the United States, even though in this life I was born in Vancouver, Canada. Nothing Canadian ever seemed to stick with me! I insisted, "Our leader is called a President!!" In Canada, it's a Prime Minister. When someone tried to teach me the Canadian National Anthem, I came out with a rousing rendition of the Star Spangled Banner (no one had taught me the words). I wanted to shop at Macy's (we don't have Macy's), talked about attending the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (had never been to one). When people would ask me where I'm from...standard response was always California. As a little girl I had an argument with my grandparents - they insisted the capitol of California was Los Angeles. I was adamant, "It's Sacramento!!!!!" They were stunned when they checked. I had no way of knowing that....I wasn't in school yet and I certainly couldn't name any Canadian capitols. I referred to provinces as states. I insisted that Thanksgiving was in November - in the US it is. In Canada it's in October. I was pretty miffed about celebrating at the wrong time! I also became very patriotic on the 4th of July, whereas I wasn't remotely excited on Canada Day. And the flag - oh my. To see that American flag blowing in the wind brought tears to my eyes. It still does. I feel like I am home when I see it.
I've always been very attached to the United States, even though in this life I was born in Vancouver, Canada. Nothing Canadian ever seemed to stick with me! I insisted, "Our leader is called a President!!" In Canada, it's a Prime Minister. When someone tried to teach me the Canadian National Anthem, I came out with a rousing rendition of the Star Spangled Banner (no one had taught me the words). I wanted to shop at Macy's (we don't have Macy's), talked about attending the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (had never been to one). When people would ask me where I'm from...standard response was always California. As a little girl I had an argument with my grandparents - they insisted the capitol of California was Los Angeles. I was adamant, "It's Sacramento!!!!!" They were stunned when they checked. I had no way of knowing that....I wasn't in school yet and I certainly couldn't name any Canadian capitols. I referred to provinces as states. I insisted that Thanksgiving was in November - in the US it is. In Canada it's in October. I was pretty miffed about celebrating at the wrong time! I also became very patriotic on the 4th of July, whereas I wasn't remotely excited on Canada Day. And the flag - oh my. To see that American flag blowing in the wind brought tears to my eyes. It still does. I feel like I am home when I see it.